PDA

View Full Version : And BoB Flip Flops

olevetonahill
4/26/2012, 08:02 PM
http://www.newson6.com/story/17797636/govt-backs-off-new-limits-on-child-labor-on-farms

okie52
4/26/2012, 08:48 PM
http://www.newson6.com/story/17797636/govt-backs-off-new-limits-on-child-labor-on-farms

Lol.

yermom
4/27/2012, 01:08 AM
next up, CISPA

SicEmBaylor
4/27/2012, 01:30 AM
next up, CISPA

I hope to God he doesn't do something stupid like sign that POS legislation.

Midtowner
4/27/2012, 06:50 AM
So an agency changes a proposed rule (which happens all the time), you like the change and that's a reason to attack the President who likely had nothing to do with the change? Gotcha.

jkjsooner
4/27/2012, 08:44 AM
So an agency changes a proposed rule (which happens all the time), you like the change and that's a reason to attack the President who likely had nothing to do with the change? Gotcha.

Exactly. It's one thing to criticize the administration for holding that position. It's another to label them with the "flip flopper" pajorative which implies that you would rather politicians stick with bad policy rather than learn from and correct their mistakes.

OULenexaman
4/27/2012, 09:41 AM
I have had fish in the bottom of my boat that don't flip flop as much as this Obama admin does....none of them has a single lick of common sense.

olevetonahill
4/27/2012, 10:09 AM
I have had fish in the bottom of my boat that don't flip flop as much as this Obama admin does....none of them has a single lick of common sense.There seems to always be one er two in My boat.

Soonerjeepman
4/27/2012, 10:52 AM
the man guy promoting the law....
"They will save lives and preserve the health of farm children so they can grow up to be farmers," said Reid Maki, the CLC coordinator. "The department should implement them as soon as possible."

Reid Maki
Director, Social Responsibility and Fair Labor Standards
Coordinator, Child Labor Coalition

Reid Maki joined the National Consumers League in March 2008. In his work at NCL, Reid coordinates the activities of the Child Labor Coalition, striving to minimize abusive child labor and to protect the health, safety, and well-being of child workers in the United States and abroad. Reid is a proponent of corporate social responsibility, including fair labor standards for American workers.

Prior to joining NCL, Reid worked for 12 years at the Association of Farmworker Opportunity Programs (AFOP) where he directed the Children in the Fields campaign, a joint effort launched by AFOP, NCL, and the International Initiative to End Child Labor. Their goal was to end the legal loopholes in child labor law that permit child agricultural wage laborers to work longer hours and to work at younger ages than children working in other industries. Reid was an active member of the Child Labor Coalition between 1994 and 2006.

Reid worked for both daily and weekly newspapers as a reporter earlier in his career. He earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees in American History at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and Stanford University, respectively.

not sure he has much farming experience...which is USUALLY the case with folks like this that want to promote laws/regulations...

pphilfran
4/27/2012, 10:55 AM
Is it...

The jobs are too dangerous for youngsters to perform and they backed off of the safety aspect and continue to put young people in harms way...

Or

The jobs were never too dangerous for youngsters to perform and the proposed ruling was another bs proposal...

Petro-Sooner
4/27/2012, 10:57 AM
Social responsibility eh? That's funny stuff

diverdog
4/27/2012, 11:55 AM
Is it...

The jobs are too dangerous for youngsters to perform and they backed off of the safety aspect and continue to put young people in harms way...

Or
H
The jobs were never too dangerous for youngsters to perform and the proposed ruling was another bs proposal...

Phi:

I read that two thirds of all work related injuries to children happen on farms with annual farm deaths for children at 300. Most of those from operating machinery. Of course riding bikes is pretty dangerous.

Turd_Ferguson
4/27/2012, 12:35 PM
Seems to me the ones that are for it probably never worked on a farm.

I bet it's to promote hiring illegals, which we all know equals more votes for the D's.

Turd_Ferguson
4/27/2012, 12:39 PM
Is it...

Or
H

Phi:

I read that two thirds of all work related injuries to children happen on farms with annual farm deaths for children at 300. Most of those from operating machinery. Of course riding bikes is pretty dangerous.where did you read that?

diverdog
4/27/2012, 12:47 PM
where did you read that?

Not the exact article but good info:

http://www.hicahs.colostate.edu/Documents/Factsheets/childrenonthefarm.pdf

And

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2011/08/15/child-labor-rules-white-house_n_927551.html

OULenexaman
4/27/2012, 12:52 PM
that seals it then.......shut down the damn farms.

Turd_Ferguson
4/27/2012, 01:41 PM
that seals it then.......shut down the damn farms.John Deere is the debil!!!

Curly Bill
4/27/2012, 01:58 PM
Pretty sure more kids than that die in swimming pools, and certainly autos. Obviously kids should be banned from pools and cars!

OU_Sooners75
4/27/2012, 02:08 PM
Is it...

Or

I would say the latter.

The jobs that many kids perform are not all that dangerous...though there are danger in any job you may do. Driving a tractor, how are they going to get hurt? Jump off of it while it is in motion? Yeah. Rolling the tractor over? Yeah....but those are all I can really think of at the top of my head....and even if there are more ways, adults could also be hurt the same way.

I do know this. I never got to run a tractor for the guy I worked for until he knew that I knew what I was doing. The first summer I worked for him, it wasn't until the end of the summer before I got to drive the tractors or backhoes by myself. Before that time, he was always there in the cab with me guiding (or training) me how to operate it safely.

No parent or farmer is just going to throw a person into a task without making sure they are properly trained and prepared for it, no matter the age.

OU_Sooners75
4/27/2012, 02:12 PM
nvm

OU_Sooners75
4/27/2012, 02:21 PM
Pretty sure more kids than that die in swimming pools, and certainly autos. Obviously kids should be banned from pools and cars!

Maybe you are onto something?

Child (Teens) death rates in automobiles: 16 in 100,000
The biggest cause of death for teens: Drowning, and it is said to be at least 14 times more than teens dying in a automobile.

From the link that diverdog gave us, the pdf file link, only 20% of farm fatalities are from kids 16 and younger...so out of the 300, that is just 60.

yermom
4/27/2012, 03:35 PM
I would say the latter.

The jobs that many kids perform are not all that dangerous...though there are danger in any job you may do. Driving a tractor, how are they going to get hurt? Jump off of it while it is in motion? Yeah. Rolling the tractor over? Yeah....but those are all I can really think of at the top of my head....and even if there are more ways, adults could also be hurt the same way.

I do know this. I never got to run a tractor for the guy I worked for until he knew that I knew what I was doing. The first summer I worked for him, it wasn't until the end of the summer before I got to drive the tractors or backhoes by myself. Before that time, he was always there in the cab with me guiding (or training) me how to operate it safely.

No parent or farmer is just going to throw a person into a task without making sure they are properly trained and prepared for it, no matter the age.

so why shouldn't they be able to work in factories at 12 with supervision then?

SicEmBaylor
4/27/2012, 03:43 PM
I'm opposed to child labor laws.

This move by the administration would have been horrible, unconstitutional, and a blatant crime against the familal unit. Having said that, I've always hated parents that make their kids work on their farm for hours and hours every day. The kids didn't choose the farm life for themselves like the parents did. They never had that opportunity. They were essentially born into indentured servitude. I think it's something of an injustice.

OU_Sooners75
4/27/2012, 04:20 PM
so why shouldn't they be able to work in factories at 12 with supervision then?

Im with curly bill on this one. I think we should just ban them from swimming pools and automobiles. Considering those two are high more dangerous fro teens than working on a farm.

Turd_Ferguson
4/27/2012, 06:09 PM
I'm opposed to child labor laws.

This move by the administration would have been horrible, unconstitutional, and a blatant crime against the familal unit. Having said that, I've always hated parents that make their kids work on their farm for hours and hours every day. The kids didn't choose the farm life for themselves like the parents did. They never had that opportunity. They were essentially born into indentured servitude. I think it's something of an injustice.Not everybody has kid's just so said kid can spend more time in college than he did K-12...

yermom
4/27/2012, 06:30 PM
Im with curly bill on this one. I think we should just ban them from swimming pools and automobiles. Considering those two are high more dangerous fro teens than working on a farm.

well, millions of people safely go to jobs as adults every day. why discriminate against kids?

OU_Sooners75
4/27/2012, 10:23 PM
well, millions of people safely go to jobs as adults every day. why discriminate against kids?

I will say this, some jobs are not for kids. Especially a few that I have worked at. Not because they couldn't do it, but the hazards were way too high for them since Kids fail to really grasp the urgency and concentration of certain jobs.

But driving a tractor, yeah, that doesnt take much...and no farmer in their right miind would allow a kid to drive a tractor they are not sure could handle it.

Same with a factory job. A supervisor isnt going to give anyone a job they do not think can handle it.
N
ot sure what your trying to get at? Kids shouldn't be out working full time. THey should be learning at school. Family farm or a kid working for a farmer IMO is not even close to the same as if kids could go to work at factories.

yermom
4/28/2012, 01:18 AM
i'm just not following the logic presented

it does seem like some weird lines cross when you aren't working on a family farm.

OU_Sooners75
4/28/2012, 02:11 PM
i'm just not following the logic presented

it does seem like some weird lines cross when you aren't working on a family farm.

I didnt work on a family farm when I was 13, even though I did work on a farm.

Like I said, there are a lot of things teens can do on a farm. And honestly, it is a good experience for them. At least it was for me.

C&CDean
4/28/2012, 02:35 PM
But driving a tractor, yeah, that doesnt take much...and no farmer in their right miind would allow a kid to drive a tractor they are not sure could handle it.

Totally depends on what you're doing with said tractor.

Driving it out across a flat pasture? Any 9 year old colored child could handle it.

Running a baler, or a combine, or a swather over rough/uneven pasture with other equipment/fences/etc. around? Not so much. Hell, I don't even let my grown-assed hired hand run my new disk mower or my new round baler. Too many little things to think/know about.

To me, kids on a farm are great for hauling hay, picking crops, driving a hay truck or wagon, and maybe even moving/stacking hay with a tractor. The more involved jobs that utilize several hundred thousand dollar machines should probably be left for the grown ups.

LiveLaughLove
4/28/2012, 06:12 PM
Pretty soon, if this government has it's way, we will not be allowed to get out of a bed without some sort of freaking permit or training.

You know, bathtubs can be tricky things. I think we need government safety training, an in home inspection to make sure those little rubber mats suction cups are sucked down good and tight, before allowing someone to step in to a bathtub.

Is that bed government regulation height? It looks tall to me, you could get hurt getting out. And what about little kids in your room? They get on it, and its like a ten foot drop to a full grown human. What are you thinking?

Oh yeah, never mind, your house is being confiscated for eminent domain anyway. We are giving you fair market value of $15,000 for this Florida beach front land (that we are going to resell to a condo builder for $1.2mill tomorrow).

Carry on.

Chuck Bao
4/28/2012, 06:33 PM
Totally depends on what you're doing with said tractor.

Driving it out across a flat pasture? Any 9 year old colored child could handle it.

Running a baler, or a combine, or a swather over rough/uneven pasture with other equipment/fences/etc. around? Not so much. Hell, I don't even let my grown-assed hired hand run my new disk mower or my new round baler. Too many little things to think/know about.

To me, kids on a farm are great for hauling hay, picking crops, driving a hay truck or wagon, and maybe even moving/stacking hay with a tractor. The more involved jobs that utilize several hundred thousand dollar machines should probably be left for the grown ups.

Heh! Most of the John Deere or Farmall tractors I learned to drive were manufactured in the 40s, 50s and 60s. The cost of the tractors today would be that with three 0s behind it. While I was home, I was going to service out one tractor but I couldn't find any oil cans. My brother nearly hit me on my head and said that we haven't used oil in cans for 15-20 years. Another tractor I couldn't check the anti-freeze because the radiator cap wasn't on top and I couldn't figure out how to get the side panels off. Okay, maybe I'm really stupid, but kids these days probably wouldn't get as far as I did.