PDA

View Full Version : Good-bye Sgt Stein

StoopTroup
4/26/2012, 12:19 PM
Can't believe someone would toss away their career because of the reason's this guy thinks things should be. If he only would have kept it together until the election he would gave possibly gotten a new CIC.

I remember a few active Military on here disappointed about McCain losing but all seemed to understand the big picture better than Sgt Stein.

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Marines-discharge-sergeant-for-Facebook-posts-3509604.php

XingTheRubicon
4/26/2012, 12:55 PM
Follow the rules, Marine...pretty much their entire job.

yermom
4/26/2012, 01:03 PM
where is the ACLU? :)

SanJoaquinSooner
4/26/2012, 01:06 PM
I suspect the radio talk-show circuit will help parlay this into some new career.

pphilfran
4/26/2012, 01:32 PM
He got what he deserved...

Post a bunch of negative chit about your current employer and see how long you last...

sappstuf
4/26/2012, 01:44 PM

Post a bunch of negative chit about your current employer and see how long you last...

Right.

God bless B. H. Obama!

pphilfran
4/26/2012, 01:53 PM
Right.

God bless B. H. Obama!

LOL

diverdog
4/26/2012, 02:00 PM
LOL

+1

LOL

SCOUT
4/26/2012, 02:24 PM

This is actually a hot topic at the moment. The NLRB is claiming that employers who take action against employees who complain about employers via social media are in violation of the NLRA.

Marines aren't in that boat though.

okie52
4/26/2012, 02:26 PM
Right.

God bless B. H. Obama!

I'll bet that hurt.

pphilfran
4/26/2012, 02:29 PM
This is actually a hot topic at the moment. The NLRB is claiming that employers who take action against employees who complain about employers via social media are in violation of the NLRA.

Marines aren't in that boat though.

If someone is so stupid to post disparaging crap about the company they work for on Facebook....they deserve to get fired...if the company is so screwed up you feel obligated to post negatives about the company then that person should nut up and find another job...

SCOUT
4/26/2012, 02:31 PM
If someone is so stupid to post disparaging crap about the company they work for on Facebook....they deserve to get fired...if the company is so screwed up you feel obligated to post negatives about the company then that person should nut up and find another job...
I agree. That didn't change the fact that the NLRB gave a cautionary tale to employers saying that adverse actions against the employees could be subject to fines. The finer point of their claim is that employees have a right to collectively discuss their grievances. The NLRB is saying that the social media forum is the means to that collective discussion.

It's ridiculous, but that is where they stand.

pphilfran
4/26/2012, 02:32 PM
I agree. That didn't change the fact that the NLRB gave a cautionary tale to employers saying that adverse actions against the employees could be subject to fines. The finer point of their claim is that employees have a right to collectively discuss their grievances. The NLRB is saying that the social media forum is the means to that collective discussion.

It's ridiculous, but that is where they stand.

Nothing surprised me

Soonerjeepman
4/26/2012, 02:39 PM
as much as I really disagree with Obama, and dem approach in general....I've got to agree....talk bad about your employer...especially the military...not a good idea.

I PRAY to God the repubs don't pick him up to circuit the country...ugh...

Mississippi Sooner
4/26/2012, 02:43 PM
I'm sure most of the folks that post here know that when you are serving in the military, civilian laws take a back seat to the UCMJ. By the same token, military personnel don't have the same free speech rights as civilians. Even though I'm sure you won't find too many active duty Marines who would vote for Obama, it's still a big no-no to talk bad about the CIC on a public forum.

I have a feeling this dude knew what this would lead to.

rock on sooner
4/26/2012, 03:58 PM
Shut up, salute and do your job...which ain't runnin' off at the mouth..

jkjsooner
4/26/2012, 04:37 PM
He should have known that he can't say what he said but I do think that removal is a little harsh. I think a drop in rank would have been more than sufficient.

I think the big problem was not just that he criticized the president but that he did so in a way that related it back to his job - i.e. stating he would not follow orders. (Not to mention he used the term "screw...")

I understand the role of the military and the limitations that soldiers must live by but I don't think the comparison to criticism of a private employer is entirely the same thing. We all have a stake in politics whether or not we work for the government. I think some political criticisms should be allowed (at least among civilian government employees) as long as the criticism isn't related to your job function. For example, a low level employee of the agriculture department shouldn't lose his right to criticize the president on abortion matters.