PDA

View Full Version : NCAAFB With a Final 4?

sooneron
4/25/2012, 03:38 PM
ESPiN reporting that the commissioners are negotiating for a post season play in to the championship. Woot!

LASooner
4/25/2012, 03:49 PM
But this will ruin the regular season!!!!!

Oh wait... no it won't

badger
4/25/2012, 03:55 PM
But this will ruin the regular season!!!!!

Oh wait... no it won't

What will ruin the regular season is when four SEC teams are in this "Final Four" due to polls being incredibly biased toward that conference as of late :mad:

sooneron
4/25/2012, 04:10 PM
Somewhere, Gundy is pouting...

LASooner
4/25/2012, 05:13 PM
I'm tired of reading Delany's comments about the Rose Bowl's inclusion in all this. I've met a few people involved with the Rose Bowl, and they all have such a greater than thou attitude about that game. I went to the game in January of 2003, it was a nice game, great weather, and OU beat WSU in all facets of the game, but it was not the end all be all of game day experiences. Any home game at any major school in the country beats the gameday experience at the Rose Bowl. So either be a part of the playoffs or not but don't cry when you don't matter anymore.

LASooner
4/25/2012, 05:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/48709/a-playoff-what-do-big-12-coaches-think

One problem for some in the process? Nobody can seem to agree on what to call a new postseason, even if it's four teams playing for the right to be called champion.

"I'm not for a playoff, because it would ruin the bowl system, and I don't believe it would be good for student-athletes," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said.

However, later on, he expressed his preference for the plus-one, which could just as easily be referred to as a playoff.

"I'd like to see the plus-one," he said. "If they do so, I'd like to see the four teams that qualify as the per se 'playoff teams' participate in two of the BCS bowls and then rotate it every two years, which bowls are hosting the playoff teams and which ones aren't, and then the plus-one after it."

Stoops often looks back fondly on his bowl week experiences as a defensive back at Iowa and doesn't want to rob future players of a week in the sun during winter with light practices, red-carpet treatment and a week spent solely with teammates.

"Anything that eliminates the bowls would in the long run not be positive for college football," Stoops said. (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/48709/a-playoff-what-do-big-12-coaches-think)

8timechamps
4/25/2012, 06:40 PM
I'm tired of reading Delany's comments about the Rose Bowl's inclusion in all this. I've met a few people involved with the Rose Bowl, and they all have such a greater than thou attitude about that game. I went to the game in January of 2003, it was a nice game, great weather, and OU beat WSU in all facets of the game, but it was not the end all be all of game day experiences. Any home game at any major school in the country beats the gameday experience at the Rose Bowl. So either be a part of the playoffs or not but don't cry when you don't matter anymore.

You nailed it. The Rose Bowl sees itself at the top of the mountain, with nobody else even close. Outside of PAC and B1G fans, it's a big bowl game, but no more special than the Orange or Sugar bowl. If I had to bet, I'd bet that somehow the Rose Bowl ends up in the best spot of all the bowls when the dust settles.

ouwasp
4/25/2012, 07:27 PM
Well, it's not the 8-team bracket that I want, but it's better than nothing. Maybe eventually we'll see an 8 team bracket; I figure most yrs OU would be in the mix.

Kinda disappointed in Bob. Nobody said anything about dismantling the second-tier bowls... "they" can still have all the bowls they want featuring 8-4 teams, or even 6-6 teams against one another.

LASooner
4/25/2012, 08:59 PM
In fairness to Bob, we don't know the question he was asked, we just know the answer they wrote in their article. I'd bet Stoops would be all for settling it on the field if that question were asked of him.

8timechamps
4/25/2012, 09:40 PM
Well, it's not the 8-team bracket that I want, but it's better than nothing. Maybe eventually we'll see an 8 team bracket; I figure most yrs OU would be in the mix.

Kinda disappointed in Bob. Nobody said anything about dismantling the second-tier bowls... "they" can still have all the bowls they want featuring 8-4 teams, or even 6-6 teams against one another.

I'm with you. It's a start.

I am just excited that we may see a college football playoff in my lifetime.

texaspokieokie
4/26/2012, 08:33 AM
You nailed it. The Rose Bowl sees itself at the top of the mountain, with nobody else even close. Outside of PAC and B1G fans, it's a big bowl game, but no more special than the Orange or Sugar bowl. If I had to bet, I'd bet that somehow the Rose Bowl ends up in the best spot of all the bowls when the dust settles.I see the Rose Bowl as TOPS. Grandaddy of em all. Went to Rose Parade (absolutely the best) & the game, many many years ago.
The best GAME depends on the teams involved but the best bowl experience (JMHO) is in Pasadena.

badger
4/26/2012, 09:16 AM
I went to the game in January of 2003, it was a nice game, great weather, and OU beat WSU in all facets of the game, but it was not the end all be all of game day experiences.

It probably would have been a lot better had Wazzu actually sold their half of the stadium, rather than depend on OU fans to bring more butts to the seats. If I recall correctly, there was a pretty big empty spot in the Rose Bowl that day.

PrideMom
4/26/2012, 09:27 AM
Quit beating a dead horse! Please no play offs, there are always people that disagree who should be in or not. Look at the NCAA basketball tournament, they keep adding more teams because of the whiners out there.

olevetonahill
4/26/2012, 09:51 AM
Quit beating a dead horse! Please no play offs, there are always people that disagree who should be in or not. Look at the NCAA basketball tournament, they keep adding more teams because of the whiners out there.
They should Drank more Beer and less whine

Curly Bill
4/26/2012, 11:07 AM
Wow! Now I can sleep at night. (now where's that lil face thing with the rolling eyes?)

badger
4/26/2012, 11:43 AM

Is there anyone out there that has liked the tournament less since it became 68 teams?

Baby badger seemed to LOVE that "First Four" game the night before she was born. Kick kick kick. It was the night the contractions started. She had to get out in time to see the rest of the tournament :D

But seriously (although that's what really happened), the First Four games these past two years have been awesome... so is it really a bad thing that whining has led to improvement?

starclassic tama
4/26/2012, 01:58 PM
Kinda disappointed in Bob. Nobody said anything about dismantling the second-tier bowls... "they" can still have all the bowls they want featuring 8-4 teams, or even 6-6 teams against one another.i'm pretty sure he meant he was not in favor of a large playoff that gets rid of the bowl games.. he said he supports a plus-one model, which is a 4 team playoff.

jkjsooner
4/26/2012, 03:46 PM

Flogging a dead horse (alternatively beating a dead horse in some parts of the Anglophone world) is an idiom that means a particular request or line of conversation is already foreclosed or otherwise resolved

Wouldn't the fact that there is serious discussion on this mean that the issue is not resolved and therefore nobody is beating a dead horse?

In addition, this is new news and therefore this thread is not a rehash of old threads.

jkjsooner
4/26/2012, 03:50 PM
I just hope they don't use the true +1 system where you play bowl games as they did prior to the BCS, run a BCS-like formula, and choose the two "best" teams to play in the championship game.

If they do that then they've done little to resolve the problems. The bowl games could clear the picture or it could just muddy the picture even more.

We really need a true tournament (1 vs 4, 2 vs 3) format.

Seamus
4/26/2012, 03:51 PM
Wouldn't the fact that there is serious discussion on this mean that the issue is not resolved and therefore nobody is beating a dead horse?

In addition, this is new news and therefore this thread is not a rehash of old threads.

Gotta agree. I don't think anything has been resolved. Or did I miss it along the way?

Sorry -- three weeks without booze. I'm ready to kill.

rock on sooner
4/26/2012, 03:54 PM
They should Drank more Beer and less whine

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!:playful:

soonervegas
4/26/2012, 04:40 PM
How soon can we dump the Fiesta?

LASooner
4/26/2012, 09:51 PM
I see the Rose Bowl as TOPS. Grandaddy of em all. Went to Rose Parade (absolutely the best) & the game, many many years ago.
The best GAME depends on the teams involved but the best bowl experience (JMHO) is in Pasadena.

I had a couple granddads... they eventually died as well.

ouwasp
4/26/2012, 11:51 PM
Nothing is wrong with the Rose Bowl that an earthquake couldn't fix.

A small, localized quake that doesn't affect our Cali friends that is...

LASooner
4/27/2012, 12:52 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7858795/bcs-eliminates-eight-16-team-playoff-proposals
(http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7858795/bcs-eliminates-eight-16-team-playoff-proposals)

Any proposed changes wouldn't go into effect until the 2014 season. The current BCS system, in which the top two teams in the final BCS standings play in a national championship game at the site of one of the current BCS bowls (Fiesta, Orange, Rose and Sugar), will remain in place the next two seasons.
Hancock said another proposal eliminated was the idea of having three semifinal games if the champions of the Big Ten or Pac-12 were among the four teams competing in the playoffs.
Under that proposal -- which never seemed to carry much weight with many commissioners -- the Big Ten and/or Pac-12 team would have played in the Rose Bowl -- with four other teams competing in the national semifinals -- and then two winning teams would have been selected to play in a championship game.

It's the first major step toward the 4 team playoff, and while I'd like a 6-8 team playoff better, 4 team definitely avoids "ruining" the regular season, not that I believe 8 teams would either, but this is as good as we're going to get.

SoonerPride
4/27/2012, 10:45 AM
It won't be long until it is expanded to 8

Then 16.

All the "deserving" one loss teams that are "left out" will scream bloody murder and this will only exacerbate the whining.

College football as I knew it is dead.

8timechamps
4/27/2012, 12:39 PM
The 4 team playoff is a short-term thing...once they see the money generated from four teams, it'll be at 8 (then more) soon after.

Curly Bill
4/27/2012, 12:43 PM
The 4 team playoff is a short-term thing...once they see the money generated from four teams, it'll be at 8 (then more) soon after.

No doubt about this!!!

Landthief 1972
4/27/2012, 02:02 PM
Stoops often looks back fondly on his bowl week experiences as a defensive back at Iowa and doesn't want to rob future players of a week in the sun during winter with light practices, red-carpet treatment and a week spent solely with teammates.

Tell that to the players who get stuck going to the Potato Bowl in Boise...and honestly the Cotton Bowl in Dallas is nice, but it's a long way away from spending a week on the beach.

sooneron
4/27/2012, 11:09 PM

Like it or not, it's heading that way, so the horse is not dead. I posted this as the news was breaking from the conf commissioners meeting in Fla. I'm going to ask that you not post in this thread. Mmkay? thanks!

agoo758
4/27/2012, 11:15 PM

Right, and then we have people on this forum that believe that the winners of the WAC and Big SKY Southern Division.... should be put in the tournament.

a;sdlkfajsdl;fkajsdfklj

8timechamps
4/28/2012, 03:52 PM
Right, and then we have people on this forum that believe that the winners of the WAC and Big SKY Southern Division.... should be put in the tournament.

a;sdlkfajsdl;fkajsdfklj

I have always been a proponent of a playoff, but I'm afraid even my simple plan is not enough for the "new BCS" or whatever their calling themselves. Like I said, it'll be 4 soon, but that won't last long. I'd have no interest in the WAC (or any other small/mid-major) being in the tournament, but I'm sure it will eventually come to that.

8timechamps
4/28/2012, 03:54 PM

Maybe you should check ESPN or FoxSports out. This isn't a dead horse. It's very probable that it's going to be a reality (4 teams) by 2014. Like it, or not, the horse is very much alive and will be paid millions of dollars to be televised.