PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Eating

8timechamps
4/23/2012, 07:44 PM
Not going to get into a long diatribe about my health, but I had the usual "grown *** man" physical back in January, and for the first time in my life I was put on medication (that I have to take daily) for high cholesterol. Otherwise, I got a pretty good bill of health. It really got me thinking about not being young anymore. One thing I've noticed as I've gotten older is that my energy level is nowhere near where it used to be. I've not been a huge vitamin person, so I got to researching whether that may be part of the problem.

And, I'm still not really sure. However, one thing I've realized is just how much processed **** we put in our bodies. Not only that, but nearly everything the average person consumes is genetically engineered, or we eat something that eats something that's genetically engineered.

I'm not a tree hugging, go green, super health food freak, but I'm wondering if all of the years of eating this stuff has some effect on how efficient one's body can be at breaking down the things we eat and providing fuel. Is organic better, or is that just a marketing ploy? Anyone have experience with dietary changes that affected their energy levels in this regard?

I'm determined to live at least long enough to enjoy what I'm putting away for retirement.

Turd_Ferguson
4/23/2012, 08:34 PM
If it taste good...eat it.

picasso
4/23/2012, 09:55 PM
Don't forget to exercise.

diverdog
4/23/2012, 09:57 PM
Not going to get into a long diatribe about my health, but I had the usual "grown *** man" physical back in January, and for the first time in my life I was put on medication (that I have to take daily) for high cholesterol. Otherwise, I got a pretty good bill of health. It really got me thinking about not being young anymore. One thing I've noticed as I've gotten older is that my energy level is nowhere near where it used to be. I've not been a huge vitamin person, so I got to researching whether that may be part of the problem.

And, I'm still not really sure. However, one thing I've realized is just how much processed **** we put in our bodies. Not only that, but nearly everything the average person consumes is genetically engineered, or we eat something that eats something that's genetically engineered.

I'm not a tree hugging, go green, super health food freak, but I'm wondering if all of the years of eating this stuff has some effect on how efficient one's body can be at breaking down the things we eat and providing fuel. Is organic better, or is that just a marketing ploy? Anyone have experience with dietary changes that affected their energy levels in this regard?

I'm determined to live at least long enough to enjoy what I'm putting away for retirement.

Genetics are probably catching up with you.

8timechamps
4/23/2012, 10:17 PM
Genetics are probably catching up with you.

Yep. Unfortunately.

8timechamps
4/23/2012, 10:19 PM
Don't forget to exercise.

I do, although probably not at the level I should. I know that the more I exercise, the more energy I'll have...but it's hard to exercise more if I don't have the energy to begin with.

Frozen Sooner
4/23/2012, 10:30 PM
I recently had to make some major changes to my diet and exercise regimes on doctor's advice.

Something that I found out (and was surprised to learn) is that for regulating your blood chemistry, weight training is FAR more useful than cardio. I've cut the cardio down to 10 minutes and upped the weight lifting to an hour every other day.

Fraggle145
4/23/2012, 11:07 PM
Actually almost everything we eat is corn.

picasso
4/24/2012, 12:20 AM
I do, although probably not at the level I should. I know that the more I exercise, the more energy I'll have...but it's hard to exercise more if I don't have the energy to begin with.
I drink incredibly strong coffee 30 minutes before I workout. I'm blessed with good genetics (freakish metabolism) but I lift heavy weights 3 times a week and try to do at least 15 min of cardio after every workout.
But yep, we're all gonna die.

oudanny
4/24/2012, 08:20 AM
Fish oil.

cleller
4/24/2012, 08:45 AM
Think of the way people ate 50-75 years ago. They ate food; not hot wings, onion rings, chili cheese fries, cheese doodles, twinkies, etc. Ice cream was a treat, not a lot of candy and chips around.

The bacon and sausage at breakfast were probably bad, but still not like the gigantic portions you get shoved in front of you now. Obesity was the exception, not the rule.

I'm no one to model you diet after, but I don't eat out much, so things stay reasonably balanced. I'm thankful I live on a farm, and have all kinds of regular physical work needing to be done, because I've got no interest in running or lifting weights anymore.

cccasooner2
4/24/2012, 09:05 AM
...... Ice cream was a treat,........

Plus, you got a full workout cranking that handle.

StoopTroup
4/24/2012, 10:27 AM
I recently had to make some major changes to my diet and exercise regimes on doctor's advice.

Something that I found out (and was surprised to learn) is that for regulating your blood chemistry, weight training is FAR more useful than cardio. I've cut the cardio down to 10 minutes and upped the weight lifting to an hour every other day.

This did more for me than weight lifting ever did. Around 30 I was still playing Basketball and Tennis and working out at Bally's 5-6 days a week. I did cardio one day and weights the opposite day. I found this book as when I was younger the Isometric Workout craze had started. I actually started to introduce myself to some of the regime that Harry did in this book.

When I met my Wife I had dropped from 216 to 175 by doing all three.

At 175 I introduced pizza back into my diet.

Pizza is bad M'Kay?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61c%2BT3qZ7YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Boomer.....
4/24/2012, 10:39 AM
I'm still fairly young, but have been having the same concerns about processed and genetically modified foods. There are many documentaries on Hulu you can watch about this stuff. I'm not in bad health at all, but I don't want to get that way by putting the wrong things in my body. There's a correlation between the food now and the horrible health of the nation. I'm by no means going to completely stop eating bad foods to go vegetarian, but I've been buying a lot more organic foods. We are also going to try and find an organic farmer to buy our meat from.

Boomer.....
4/24/2012, 10:41 AM
Actually almost everything we eat is corn.

What's scary is that almost 90% of the corn in the nation is genetically modified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food

KantoSooner
4/24/2012, 10:44 AM
Organic is basically worthless. Study after study has failed to find any significant advantage in nutritional content. Wash off the pesticide residue and enjoy veggies that look and taste good. You want to get all moralistic about ag chemicals in the environment, that's fine, but it says nothing about whether organic farming produces a 'better' or 'safer' crop.

My theory? Human beings were 'designed' through hundreds of thousands of years of living as hunter/gatherers. So, basically, eat a lot of foraged leaves, fruits, nuts and seed pods. Walk around a lot while doing this. Semi-starvation coupled with continuous light aerobic workout. Occaisional frantic anaerobic workout leading to momentary access to meat. Gorge like a sumbitch.
Repeat this routine, daily, until trauma, or chronic old age kills you in your 30's. But, dayum, you'd die fit.

To judge from skelital remains, human health went into steep decline about the time we figured out how to farm (and, coincidentally figured out how to brew beer, make wine and make cheese) and we only re-acheived the level of general health of our hunter/gatherer ancestors sometime in the late 1940's.

Dio
4/24/2012, 11:19 AM
huh, huh...ST said "Harry Wong"

delhalew
4/24/2012, 11:34 AM
Organic is basically worthless. Study after study has failed to find any significant advantage in nutritional content. Wash off the pesticide residue and enjoy veggies that look and taste good. You want to get all moralistic about ag chemicals in the environment, that's fine, but it says nothing about whether organic farming produces a 'better' or 'safer' crop.

My theory? Human beings were 'designed' through hundreds of thousands of years of living as hunter/gatherers. So, basically, eat a lot of foraged leaves, fruits, nuts and seed pods. Walk around a lot while doing this. Semi-starvation coupled with continuous light aerobic workout. Occaisional frantic anaerobic workout leading to momentary access to meat. Gorge like a sumbitch.
Repeat this routine, daily, until trauma, or chronic old age kills you in your 30's. But, dayum, you'd die fit.

To judge from skelital remains, human health went into steep decline about the time we figured out how to farm (and, coincidentally figured out how to brew beer, make wine and make cheese) and we only re-acheived the level of general health of our hunter/gatherer ancestors sometime in the late 1940's.

While I agree with much of this, I'll die before I give up my beloved ale. Cheese is pretty awesome, as well.

KantoSooner
4/24/2012, 12:01 PM
By all means. I make wine. Not for the quality but to cut my consumption costs. But we have to compensate or learn to live with big bellies if we're not blessed with active metabolisms.
Me, I come from a long line of people who'd survive nicely on life boats in the South Atlantic. About 10 calories a day keep me going, the rest reside around my middle unless I work out compulsively.

Position Limit
4/24/2012, 12:24 PM
if it comes in a box or mass produced it's gonna be crap. if you buy food at sams, walmart, target, or any big box store your on the losing side of a bad trade. if you trying to dine out in this state, well good luck. before you buy it read the ingredients. if you cant pronounce them, dont comsume it. basically fish, garden, eggs, nuts and fruits. and for god sakes if you're gonna consume red meat get if from a ranch from someone you know. unless you hunt then great. if you see pork, run the other way.

and enough with the whole weight lifting nonsense. unless you're younger than 25 preparing for spring break, your walking around a gym with a beer belly and fatty guns. try something that will actually give your results beyond the 30 min chest and bicep "workout". go fit yourself out with a good pair of running shoes and give me 25 miles of road work a week. it's good for the body and soul. good luck.

Boomer.....
4/24/2012, 12:44 PM
Weight lifting actually burns more calories and keeps your metabolism up longer than cardio. FYI

C&CDean
4/24/2012, 01:01 PM
Momma made me a salad for lunch today (and most days). So far I see spinach, tomatoes, brocolli, cauliflower, asparagus, sprouts, pine nuts, red/yellow/green pepper, and jalapenos. She put vinegar/olive oil on it. Also a little shredded cheese. Another bowl with some tuna salad with some eggs chopped up in it. Some celery sticks and some peanut butter (extra crunchy of course since only fags eat creamy PB) in another bowl. Also a little bowl of blueberries.

The ingredients vary, as does the meat selection (I gotta have meat or it just ain't a meal).

a) I enjoy it, b) I take regular poops, 3) I feel good, and c) it makes me feel much less guilty for going to Benvenuti's on Saturday night and eating one of their bone-in veal parmagian deals. Do I like big greasy burgers, pizza, messican, etc.? Oh hells yes, but once a week or so instead of the norm. If you eat burgers/fries/**** every day it's gonna not only kill you, it's gonna make you miserable at the same time.

Oh yeah, exercise. As much as you can stand. This is my short area right now. I'm spending a lot of time sitting in a truck, tractor, or at a desk. Seriously hurts my workout schedule.

Cheatin' father time...

Position Limit
4/24/2012, 01:02 PM
Weight lifting actually burns more calories and keeps your metabolism up longer than cardio. FYI

nonsense. there's pleanty of studies to support and debunk this. show me a 35+ year old that puts in 25-30 miles a week vs. the same guy that's lifting weights in a gym 4 days a week and it wont take a doctor to determine who is in much better shape. people want to so bad to believe in the weightlifting paradigm because it's a much easier workout. humans were born to run. not lift weights. now combine my running program with 250-500 push ups and sit up a week and you can join the rest of us at the top of the hill. that's not to say weight lifiting is bad, it's just a lazy mans workout. i've been to many of 5-10-15k races and have belonged to health clubs since i was a teenager and it's not to hard to see who the winners of the workout wars are.

Boomer.....
4/24/2012, 01:07 PM
If you spend the same amount of time running as lifting, lifting will burn more calories. There is nothing lazy about lifting weights.

C&CDean
4/24/2012, 01:28 PM
nonsense. there's pleanty of studies to support and debunk this. show me a 35+ year old that puts in 25-30 miles a week vs. the same guy that's lifting weights in a gym 4 days a week and it wont take a doctor to determine who is in much better shape. people want to so bad to believe in the weightlifting paradigm because it's a much easier workout. humans were born to run. not lift weights. now combine my running program with 250-500 push ups and sit up a week and you can join the rest of us at the top of the hill. that's not to say weight lifiting is bad, it's just a lazy mans workout. i've been to many of 5-10-15k races and have belonged to health clubs since i was a teenager and it's not to hard to see who the winners of the workout wars are.

I've done both my entire life. The weight workouts I do are anything but a "lazy man's workout." People don't wanna do cardio because it's boring as hell, and it sucks (just like most people who lift weights focus on chest/arms and don't do heavy squats and legwork because it's harder than hell and it sucks). I always try to get an hour of cardio and an hour of weights.

Position Limit
4/24/2012, 01:50 PM
I've done both my entire life. The weight workouts I do are anything but a "lazy man's workout." People don't wanna do cardio because it's boring as hell, and it sucks (just like most people who lift weights focus on chest/arms and don't do heavy squats and legwork because it's harder than hell and it sucks). I always try to get an hour of cardio and an hour of weights.

you are definately the exception to what i have witnessed the last 20+ years. to lift weight the correct way takes brains and brawn and if done with running you reside at the top of the hill. problem is that most humanoids are not wired to think/act this way. so why not stop wasting your time and get a pair of running shoes and enjoy the run and the lovely ladies that are out there with you? the op mentioned health as a concern. i'm just not convinced that lifting is at the top of list for losing fat and cholest and heart conditioning.

yes running is very boring in a gym on a treadmill. in the outdoors not so much and you get much more out of it.

KantoSooner
4/24/2012, 02:22 PM
Unfortunately, complete axing of my ACL and MCL in a really cool skiing accident six years ago pretty well ended any chance of running (or squash, basketball and anything else that involves unexpected lateral stresses - the little knee is kind of hanging together through force of habit).
Biking and swimming, however ard definitely on the cards. And those you can do when you're over 50....unlike running.

Curly Bill
4/24/2012, 02:22 PM
I don't buy that weights burn more calories than running either. Maybe if you lifted intensely with very little rest time between sets I could see it, but most people that lift don't do it that way. I've seen a lot of fat weight lifting types, not that many fat runners.

That all being said I do both and that's why I'm such a stud! ;)

Boomer.....
4/24/2012, 03:16 PM
Here's a good breakdown:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/

Mississippi Sooner
4/24/2012, 04:00 PM
For guaranteed weight loss, I recommend meth.

8timechamps
4/24/2012, 07:43 PM

Honestly, I've read arguments both way. But, just common sense would say that if you are eating something genetically altered, it would have a potential negative effect on your body. May be that I am over-simplifying it.

8timechamps
4/24/2012, 07:45 PM
Momma made me a salad for lunch today (and most days). So far I see spinach, tomatoes, brocolli, cauliflower, asparagus, sprouts, pine nuts, red/yellow/green pepper, and jalapenos. She put vinegar/olive oil on it. Also a little shredded cheese. Another bowl with some tuna salad with some eggs chopped up in it. Some celery sticks and some peanut butter (extra crunchy of course since only fags eat creamy PB) in another bowl. Also a little bowl of blueberries.

The ingredients vary, as does the meat selection (I gotta have meat or it just ain't a meal).

a) I enjoy it, b) I take regular poops, 3) I feel good, and c) it makes me feel much less guilty for going to Benvenuti's on Saturday night and eating one of their bone-in veal parmagian deals. Do I like big greasy burgers, pizza, messican, etc.? Oh hells yes, but once a week or so instead of the norm. If you eat burgers/fries/**** every day it's gonna not only kill you, it's gonna make you miserable at the same time.

Oh yeah, exercise. As much as you can stand. This is my short area right now. I'm spending a lot of time sitting in a truck, tractor, or at a desk. Seriously hurts my workout schedule.

Cheatin' father time...

This is the dietary plan I think I'm moving toward. Fresh veggies with some lean protein daily. I'm not a seafood eater, but I can do tuna (weird).

I'm never going to be a vegetarian, or stop eating a good steak (or burger) once in a while. I just need to adopt a better overall diet.

8timechamps
4/24/2012, 07:47 PM
Just as an FYI, after the research I've done, it really doesn't seem like there is any 'proven' study that shows organic foods are any better for you. However, I'm going to start a month-long organic diet just to see what the results yield. Really, I'm probably going to focus more on non-processed foods over organic, but the idea is the same.

Thanks all for the input.

picasso
4/24/2012, 11:52 PM
and enough with the whole weight lifting nonsense. unless you're younger than 25 preparing for spring break, your walking around a gym with a beer belly and fatty guns. try something that will actually give your results beyond the 30 min chest and bicep "workout". go fit yourself out with a good pair of running shoes and give me 25 miles of road work a week. it's good for the body and soul. good luck.
Yeah ok, I don't have a beer gut or fatty guns. You want to get real technical? Walking is just as good for you as running and it puts less stress on your joints.
Come do a leg workout with me for 40 minutes. We'll do a pyramid on squats and then do 135 pound lunges. That'll burn the **** out of some calories too Jack.

olevetonahill
4/25/2012, 12:12 AM
Ill guard the Ice chest while Yall do all this exercise carp

Blue
4/25/2012, 12:29 AM
Dean is perfect? Get outta here.... Hahahaha

picasso
4/25/2012, 07:46 AM
I had one more thing to say. I'm no meathead but I've been doing resistance training since college. Anyone that studies that field realizes it's benefits.
What do the lards on Biggest Loser do for a workout? They do aerobic, anaerobic and resistance training.
After the birth of our 2nd child this time last year, I took the longest break from working out that I have in my adult life. I'd say I've been back at it for 3 solid months now and feel great. Lifting weights isn't just about having guns.
I do miss the days when me and the wife played tennis together.

Position Limit
4/25/2012, 09:14 AM
Yeah ok, I don't have a beer gut or fatty guns. You want to get real technical? Walking is just as good for you as running and it puts less stress on your joints.
Come do a leg workout with me for 40 minutes. We'll do a pyramid on squats and then do 135 pound lunges. That'll burn the **** out of some calories too Jack.

why would i want to wail on my glutes? why is it neccessary to do 135 pound lunges? surviving the world around me doesnt require it. heart and lungs. yes there are 5-10% of you guys that are burning it up in the weight room. they rest are lard asses that need to get running first.

Frozen Sooner
4/25/2012, 10:22 AM
I don't think I said anything about fat. What I said was that for controlling blood chemistry, lifting weights does more than cardio. That's directly from two different doctors who specialize in internal medicine, who both told me that the 30 minutes/day of cardio I was doing wasn't really doing much.

My blood chemistry got all goofy while I've been in law school, and I'm working on that. Oddly enough, my heart and lung function is just fine. In two months of lifting for an hour a day, I've taken my fasting blood sugar down by 80 points. My BP has stayed rock steady at 110/60. My weight is constant, but I've lost two inches off my waist. We'll see what my cholesterol is doing next month when I go in for a followup visit; I also changed my diet considerably to include a lot more omega-3 and laid off the fried foods.

(shrug)

YMMV. Just what the doc told me and what I've been doing that's been working.

8timechamps
4/25/2012, 12:05 PM
I don't think I said anything about fat. What I said was that for controlling blood chemistry, lifting weights does more than cardio. That's directly from two different doctors who specialize in internal medicine, who both told me that the 30 minutes/day of cardio I was doing wasn't really doing much.

My blood chemistry got all goofy while I've been in law school, and I'm working on that. Oddly enough, my heart and lung function is just fine. In two months of lifting for an hour a day, I've taken my fasting blood sugar down by 80 points. My BP has stayed rock steady at 110/60. My weight is constant, but I've lost two inches off my waist. We'll see what my cholesterol is doing next month when I go in for a followup visit; I also changed my diet considerably to include a lot more omega-3 and laid off the fried foods.

(shrug)

YMMV. Just what the doc told me and what I've been doing that's been working.

That's what this was really all bout. I'm not over-weight, but clearly have cholesterol issues. I don't mind the exercise advice though, as I know I need to step it up in that department.

I'd love to run, but I've tried it, and it's just not something I enjoy. And if I can't at least find some enjoyment in an exercise, then it's going to be really hard for me to stick to it.

Fraggle145
4/25/2012, 12:12 PM
Honestly, I've read arguments both way. But, just common sense would say that if you are eating something genetically altered, it would have a potential negative effect on your body. May be that I am over-simplifying it.

The pesticides are much worse for you than GMO stuff. You are breaking all that stuff down for energy. So the fact that an AGCT is different somewhere in the DNA isnt really that big of a deal. However most pesticides are some sort of endocrine disruptors and we havent even really begun to understand what they can do to us.

FirstandGoal
4/25/2012, 12:13 PM

Okay, so the fallacy here is that you can't just "wash off the pesticide" on certain foods. You can peel an orange or banana and remove the rind from a melon, but fruits and veggies with thin skins and/or are crops that are heavily sprayed cannot be detoxified. I buy organic apples, berries, grapes, greens, tomatoes, celery etc... because I choose not to ingest poison anymore. Same goes for meat and dairy. Right now there are so many hormones and antibiotics in meat and dairy that these kinds of foods are becoming horrible endocrine disruptors.... and there are many studies that prove this for a fact. Oh, and I would love to see studies (not done by someone in the corn industry) that shows where organic farming doesn't produce a safer crop. The chemicals used on these crops are sprayed on there to KILL varmints-- ummmmm.... okaaaaaaaaaaay,yeah that should be totally safe! I think tomorrow, I'm going to give my daughter a giant can of RAID and tell her she can use that to season her dinner salad with.

Don't even get me started on GMO's. Personally, I think its scarier than hell that we as a society are ingesting huge amounts of lab-created frankenfoods that haven't been adequately tested. I remember when they also thought thalidomide was safe.

I also think balance is the key here. Strength training has been shown to be critical in maintaining adequate bone density (yes, even you men suffer that problem more than you think), mental cognition, and metabolism. Cardio training is necessary for heart health and overall conditioning. Mixing the two together is the way to go. Since mid-January, I work out 4-5 times per week. One day is pure cardio, and the other days are a mixed bag. Circuit training is my favorite because it combines strength and cardio and it makes me feel so strong at the end. I also love to mix in a some yoga every now and then for the more spiritual aspect of working out and to increase flexibility. I've lost right at 25 pounds, but the most profound difference has been in my strength/stamina/overall feeling of general health. I love it that I can get on the treadmill and run for 45 minutes and that I can also hit the gym for either a spin class, yoga class, or weight training class and know that I can keep up with everybody else.

Health can't come out of a bottle (although supplements can help.) Its a combination of eating healthy (this doesn't necessarily mean restricting calories), moving your body in a healthy way, and above all, achieving a balance in life.

8timechamps
4/25/2012, 12:18 PM

Okay Pic, can you post your workout routine (or PM me)?

Curly Bill
4/25/2012, 12:58 PM
Here's what I did yesterday:

Weights:
4x10 on bench press. 1 set at 135, 2 sets 155, 1 set 175
Flys: 2x10 flat-back flies, 2x10 incline flies. All with 45lb dumbells
Overhead press: 3x10 100lbs

Afterwards I went to the gym and did some running and agilities.
Ran some lines, or suicides as we call them, did some fullcourt layups, various agilities, jumped rope, and just plain ol shot the basketball for a while.

Feels good to be getting back into a lil bit of shape...

Oh yeah! Also did some core work - crunches and the like...

Curly Bill
4/25/2012, 01:01 PM
Today I got to work biceps/triceps/back.

And I'll go back in the gym and do some running/agility/jumping stuff.

I don't do anything too serious or strenuous anymore, cause it'd just increase the odds of me taking the day off to avoid it, or just plain ol quit.

picasso
4/25/2012, 01:57 PM
Here's what I did yesterday:

Weights:
4x10 on bench press. 1 set at 135, 2 sets 155, 1 set 175
Flys: 2x10 flat-back flies, 2x10 incline flies. All with 45lb dumbells
Overhead press: 3x10 100lbs

Afterwards I went to the gym and did some running and agilities.
Ran some lines, or suicides as we call them, did some fullcourt layups, various agilities, jumped rope, and just plain ol shot the basketball for a while.

Feels good to be getting back into a lil bit of shape...

Oh yeah! Also did some core work - crunches and the like...
Well you must be 25 and getting ready to go to Cancun!:playful:

Curly Bill
4/25/2012, 02:00 PM
Well you must be 25 and getting ready to go to Cancun!:playful:

Yeah...I wish!
You can add a few years to that, but I do have a pool I hang out at some, and spend some time on Lake Texoma, so...gotta do what ya can! LOL

Frozen Sooner
4/25/2012, 02:01 PM
Don't forget to give your muscles a rest day when resistance training, at least if you're trying to add muscle mass.

Frozen Sooner
4/25/2012, 02:05 PM
Here's what I did today (remember, I AM a gigantic fatass):

Bench 4x8x225
Incline 4x8x190
Tricep Extension 4x8x145
Curl 4x8x145
Leg Press 4x8x295
Leg Curl 4x8x145
Lex Extension 4x8x145
Rows 4x8x140
10 minutes brisk walk warmup, 10 minutes brisk walk cooldown. 30 seconds between sets.

Curly Bill
4/25/2012, 02:07 PM
Don't forget to give your muscles a rest day when resistance training, at least if you're trying to add muscle mass.

That's why I stagger muscle groups, and besides that I still do take my days off when I feel like it.

Curly Bill
4/25/2012, 02:08 PM
...and salute on the workout routine! Gigantic fatass or not! LOL

Frozen Sooner
4/25/2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks. It was one of those deals where it was either start working out or start thinking about which foot I wanted to lose first.

Curly Bill
4/25/2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks. It was one of those deals where it was either start working out or start thinking about which foot I wanted to lose first.

Ouch brother! Good luck & best wishes to ya in that case. I just feel much better when I work out regularly - I have more energy, my muscles and joints work better. I can especially tell it in how I move more easily - instead of moving being a struggle, I almost have a spring in my step! My knees & associated ligaments actually have some flexibility and fluidity to them again... I'm glad I got started back being active. ;)

FirstandGoal
4/25/2012, 03:27 PM
Well, while we're sharing workouts, here is what I did today.
(yes I realize it is a girl's workout but its great to torch calories and build endurance-- but hey, I did do 2 workouts today, so there!)

AM WORKOUT: Circuit Training

Circuit 1:
Plyo push ups (15x3)
Dumbell triceps extension (15x3)
1 minute Mountain Climbers (1x3)

Circuit 2:
Dumbell Chest Fly (15x3)
1 minute Plank (1x3)
1 minute jump rope (1x3)

Circuit 3:
Reverse Crunches (15x3)
Bench Dips (15x3)
1 minute Burpees (1x3)

Circuit 4:
Jumping Squats (15x3)
Crunches on yoga ball (25x3)
1 minute jumping jacks (1x3)

Circuit 5:
1 legged squats (15x3 each side)
bicycle crunches (25x3)
1 minute Step-ups (1x3)

Circuit 6: Lie on floor in fetal position and pray for death.

3 reps of each set with 45 seconds between circuits which is just enough time to gulp down water and wipe the sweat from my eyes. Takes about 45-60 minutes with a 5 minute warm-up and a few minute cool down.

My PM workout at the gym: (just finished)

Warm up for 5 minutes on Treadmill.
Walk/Jog a 5k (I was a bit off on my time today and finished in at 41:38)
5 minute cool down walk.

Oh, and I'm still about 55 pounds from my goal weight so I'm basically a fat *** doing this as well.

delhalew
4/25/2012, 04:21 PM
At Carls' Jr today I got the grilled chicken sandwich instead a burger. Yeah me! I wish I had more options, but it seems hippy dippy food stores don't have truck parking. I guess they don't want to overcharge me for a sandwich.

I did pass up the soda for an unsweet tea. I got to do something about this fat arse.

picasso
4/25/2012, 05:52 PM
Okay Pic, can you post your workout routine (or PM me)?
My workout has been simple since I started in college. But as I said I've got a freakish metabolism. I actually lost weight in the last year when I quit weight training.
This thread got me to thinking about when my wife used to workout at Cecil Pettigrew's boxing gym here in Tulsa. I went one day, 5pm in august. No AC, you went from station to station as a bell rang to keep with the round routine. I did situps, ab wheel, jump rope, pushups, heavy bag and then speed bag. If you had any juice left you could spar. I was sore for more than a week after that. My core muscles were torn up.

8timechamps
4/25/2012, 06:12 PM
My workout has been simple since I started in college. But as I said I've got a freakish metabolism. I actually lost weight in the last year when I quit weight training.
This thread got me to thinking about when my wife used to workout at Cecil Pettigrew's boxing gym here in Tulsa. I went one day, 5pm in august. No AC, you went from station to station as a bell rang to keep with the round routine. I did situps, ab wheel, jump rope, pushups, heavy bag and then speed bag. If you had any juice left you could spar. I was sore for more than a week after that. My core muscles were torn up.

Just thought you had a hard and fast training plan. No problem, Curly Bill, Frozen and FirstandGoal gave me some good ideas.

It's not like I couldn't hit up Google for more ideas, but it's nice to know what real people actually do....not some 22 year old personal trainer that's never had a hamburger in his life.

Frozen Sooner
4/25/2012, 06:28 PM
Eh. Remember, I'm a gigantic fatass who has a specific goal in mind: reducing the amount of sugar in my blood. The docs both told me that resistance training is the way to do it, low reps with high weights. The more muscle mass you put on, the more sugar you burn just sitting there. My bench press was truly pathetic back when I started. Now it's just sort of pathetic, but by following that routine it's amazing how fast you get stronger.

As for generally feeling better, yeah, I feel a TON better. From a general standpoint, I'm just not as tired as I used to be all the time; I have much more energy and I'm able to better focus on school. Looking more to the particular, it's kind of cool that an XL shirt fits right for the first time since undergrad. It's kind of cool when (for instance) you notice that one of the muscles on the back of your leg just pops out now.

picasso
4/25/2012, 11:01 PM
Just thought you had a hard and fast training plan. No problem, Curly Bill, Frozen and FirstandGoal gave me some good ideas.

It's not like I couldn't hit up Google for more ideas, but it's nice to know what real people actually do....not some 22 year old personal trainer that's never had a hamburger in his life.
Nah, I try to lift 3 days a week. I do chest and triceps, back and biceps and legs in between. Crossfit is interesting but I don't have much time to get too serious about it.
I really wish I could spend 30 min a day on the stationary bike.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/4/2012, 11:32 PM
I've been on my own healthy journey this year. I found this book extremely helpful. A lot of it is common sense, but it helps to be reminded.

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Rules-An-Eaters-Manual/dp/014311638X

M (http://www.amazon.com/Food-Rules-An-Eaters-Manual/dp/014311638X)y favorite rule: "if your great grandmother wouldn't recognize it as food, don't eat it."

Frozen Sooner
5/5/2012, 07:25 AM
Screw that. Great-grandma ate lutefisk regularly. What she considered food doesn't rate around here.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/5/2012, 09:01 AM
I'm sure my Granny ate lots of livers and gizzards too, but she sure as **** wouldn't know what "gogurt" was.

8timechamps
5/6/2012, 05:36 PM
Week one check in -

In theory, I'd like to go all organic, just to see how I felt after a month...in reality, that's almost impossible given my daily schedule. So, I have reduced my organic intake to any fruits/veggies I eat at home, and the same for beef/chicken. However, I only eat at home once in a while, or if the gf decides to come over and cook. Which is rare.

What I've focused more on is lean protein and more fruits/veggies. Trying to stay away from any processed foods and have completed my first week of really exercising.

This week, I went cardio Monday, upper body weight training Tuesday, cardio Wednesday, Legs/back weight training Thursday, cardio Friday....yesterday, I was so sore I worked out my upper body as much as I could and worked in more cardio. Today, I was so sore I walked like a 90 year old man...so I took the day off. Tomorrow I'll start again.

Weight loss isn't an issue for me, although I could drop 5 or 10 pounds and be fine. But, I did notice today that my energy level is better than it was a week ago...maybe not a ton better, but enough to notice.

So far, so good....one week down, the rest of my life to go.

delhalew
5/6/2012, 07:11 PM
Sounds like a damn good start.