PDA

View Full Version : Sooner transfer McKay denied waiver by NCAA

8timechamps
4/22/2012, 05:01 PM
I hope all the best for McKay, but I think the NCAA did the right thing here.

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- The NCAA has denied an eligibility waiver request for Justin McCay that would have allowed the former Oklahoma receiver to play at Kansas this fall.

McCay had requested a waiver of the NCAA rule that requires transfer to sit out one year of competition because of what the school termed "extenuating personal circumstances."

NCAA staff denied the request Friday, but recommended that McCay appeal directly to the organization's subcommittee for legislative relief, which is comprised of representatives from conferences and universities and has the authority to deviate from NCAA waiver guidelines.

Kansas must file its appeal by April 24. The subcommittee would rule by May 1.

McCay played in three games for the Sooners because of injuries. He was granted a hardship release and transferred to Kansas to be closer to family in the Kansas City area.

LINK (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7836957/ncaa-denies-waiver-request-kansas-jayhawks-justin-mccay)

pappy
4/22/2012, 05:53 PM
I understand why the rule is in place, but did you know the rule only exists in football and basketball? I learned that the other day and thought it was pretty weird. Maybe its because in college football and basketball are what make the most money.

StoopTroup
4/22/2012, 08:00 PM
I hope he wins his appeal.

You don't want to be here? See ya.

Nothing good comes from holding him back. Maybe some will say that if he was to leave the Conference and not be competing against us then he might have gotten the transfer but when Bob is preaching anyone anywhere, i think we should just let the kid go and whoop KU's a$$ until the end of time for pursuing him.

Seamus
4/22/2012, 08:09 PM
and whoop KU's a$$ until the end of time for pursuing him.

We pretty much do that anyway.

8timechamps
4/22/2012, 08:41 PM
I understand why the rule is in place, but did you know the rule only exists in football and basketball? I learned that the other day and thought it was pretty weird. Maybe its because in college football and basketball are what make the most money.

I didn't know that, but it most assuredly has to do with football and (to a few schools) basketball being the money sports.

8timechamps
4/22/2012, 08:45 PM
I hope he wins his appeal.

You don't want to be here? See ya.

Nothing good comes from holding him back. Maybe some will say that if he was to leave the Conference and not be competing against us then he might have gotten the transfer but when Bob is preaching anyone anywhere, i think we should just let the kid go and whoop KU's a$$ until the end of time for pursuing him.

This has all been hashed out in an older thread, but the point of the NCAA denial is more about staying consistent with the rule, than punishing McKay. I wish the best for the kid. But hardship waivers should be for, well...real hardships.

picasso
4/23/2012, 12:09 AM
Yeah, his case is more of a softship.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/23/2012, 12:20 AM

The rule exists only for those sports that can't give partial scholarships. You just listed the 2 that can't.

badger
4/23/2012, 10:31 AM
Every cloud has a silver lining: This first year under Weis is going to be filled with tons of losing and now McKay doesn't have to be a part of that :P

Soonerjeepman
4/23/2012, 12:02 PM
his former HS coach is on staff at KU...Grinhart..former Chief's lineman...both parents are deceased...which is sad...but ...

I wonder if he got in on the "celebration practice"...lol

OULenexaman
4/23/2012, 12:11 PM
you mean Tim Grunhard....

LVSOONER15
4/23/2012, 12:41 PM
This has all been hashed out in an older thread, but the point of the NCAA denial is more about staying consistent with the rule, than punishing McKay. I wish the best for the kid. But hardship waivers should be for, well...real hardships.

This.

Soonerjeepman
4/23/2012, 02:45 PM
you mean Tim Grunhard....

yup...my bad...just pointing out that was prob the main reason he went to ku...vs ku pursuing him.

lol I really messed it up...didn't realize how bad...oh well...could give a rat's a$$ anyways...

prrriiide
4/23/2012, 04:04 PM

Not very often do you see a track booster trying to entice a pole vaulter away from another school.

sooneredaco
4/23/2012, 05:59 PM
See ya later kid! Don't let the door hit you on the way out

8timechamps
4/23/2012, 08:14 PM
The rule exists only for those sports that can't give partial scholarships. You just listed the 2 that can't.

Good point. Hadn't even thought of that.

StoopTroup
4/24/2012, 09:46 AM

If I felt the NCAA was consistently making good positve rulings maybe I'd feel they way you do but i'm gonna lean towards the unhappy Student Athlete even if he's someone that isn't happy here at OU.

I say let him go.

8timechamps
4/24/2012, 04:15 PM
If I felt the NCAA was consistently making good positve rulings maybe I'd feel they way you do but i'm gonna lean towards the unhappy Student Athlete even if he's someone that isn't happy here at OU.

I say let him go.

It's not the way I feel, it's the way it is. The NCAA has even said as much in previous cases.

He's gone, there's no issue there. In fact, there's not issue as far as OU is concerned. The rule is the rule...if you transfer, you sit out. Waivers are available for extreme circumstances...being unhappy about playing time isn't one of them.

SoonerNutt
5/1/2012, 05:11 PM
It's not the way I feel, it's the way it is. The NCAA has even said as much in previous cases.

He's gone, there's no issue there. In fact, there's not issue as far as OU is concerned. The rule is the rule...if you transfer, you sit out. Waivers are available for extreme circumstances...being unhappy about playing time isn't one of them.

Agree 100%.

If you are upset with the NCAA's inconsistency, the best thing to ask is for them to hold true to the rules, not abandon them entirely.

In truth, the NCAA made the right decision.