PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Band Will Not Be in the Jerry Dome In September...

Sabanball
4/20/2012, 04:01 PM
Just another sign that they don't take their football seriously in the Big 10....

https://www.michigandaily.com/blog/michigan-marching-band-will-not-travel-cowboy-classic-dallas

rock on sooner
4/20/2012, 04:15 PM
Gettng 4.7 mil and can't afford the band?

Mississippi Sooner
4/20/2012, 04:19 PM
The Meatchicken fans are gonna love hearing Yea Alabama all night.

PalmettoSooner
4/20/2012, 04:31 PM
the fans can still hum "Hail to the Victors":congratulatory:

Dio
4/20/2012, 04:32 PM
They can pass out maize n blue kazoos

Sabanball
4/20/2012, 04:41 PM
National TV audience, opening weekend in a huge venue, biggest game on the schedule next to Ohio State--I would have thought it would have been a no-brainer to bring the band.

colleyvillesooner
4/20/2012, 04:47 PM
what **** poor writing:

“I regret to share with you that it has recently been decided that the Michigan Marching Band will not be traveling to Texas for the Cowboy Classic game vs. Alabama this fall,” Michigan Marching Band director Scott Boerma wrote wrote to the marching band in an e-mail obtained by the Daily. “The Athletic Department is treating the Alabama game as a standard road contest, not as a bowl game. Therefore, there is no bowl-style budget available to bring the band to Texas.”

The Michigan Marching Band does not travel to each road game every season, but the Ohio State, Michigan State, Notre Dame games and bowl games are staples in each season’s schedule.

“We are treating the Cowboys Classic game against Alabama as any other road game,” said an Athletic Department spokesperson. “We do not have a travel allowance for the band like we would for a bowl game. They traditionally travel to conference games and our rivalry game against Notre Dame.

“We have not taken our band on similar trips in the past.”

The marching band was told that the Athletic Department’s decision to leave the band behind was made recently, and the determination was made that because the game is not a typical road game, it will not be treated like a bowl game.

LASooner
4/20/2012, 04:57 PM
They're hiring this guy to stand in for them.

http://www.adamwarrock.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/6a00e54fe09cb5883300e5506fb3788833-800wi.jpg + http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61v5lT-QZqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg =

Hail to the Victors!

PalmettoSooner
4/20/2012, 04:58 PM
A school as big as Michigan...I would think they would be able to squeeze out some money for the band to go. Facing the defending National Champs on opening weekend in what is prob. their biggest game of the year (outside of Ohio State).

LASooner
4/20/2012, 04:59 PM
A school as big as Michigan...I would think they would be able to squeeze out some money for the band to go. Facing the defending National Champs on opening weekend in what is prob. their biggest game of the year (outside of Ohio State).

Let's be honest, they probably won't need anyone to play the fight song that day.

PalmettoSooner
4/20/2012, 05:03 PM
Let's be honest, they probably won't need anyone to play the fight song that day.

It could be useful in pre-game ;)

badger
4/20/2012, 05:25 PM
Gettng 4.7 mil and can't afford the band?

I've read that like Aggie, Meatchicken's athletic department is squeezing pennies to get every last bit of money it can in any way it can... including telling Texas that they would do a 2 for 1, but not a home and home, and trying to get outta playing at UConn because they don't wanna lose too much home game revenue that they could get by scheduling a cream puff (you know, like Appalachian State, lololololol)

The Meatchicken fans are gonna love hearing Yea Alabama all night.

I guess its possible they could get a pep band... if not from students, from locals that know how to play that song. When C-USA bball tourney was in Tulsa a few years ago, a few schools (acutally, most of them) paid local high school bands to play rah rahs for their schools' teams (mens and womens).

They can pass out maize n blue kazoos

I know you're joking, but they actually can't. Noisemakers aren't allowed at college football games. Now, fans could sneak them in, much like we sneak in pocket shots :P

This. Poor Meatchicken... oh wait, they're the all time winningest program so eff them :D

Perhaps they're making this public now so that donors will step forward to get the funds to at least take a smaller contingent, if not the full band. Remember when Cal said it was cutting quite a few athletic teams and then suddenly there was money to keep some of them because alumni showed them the money?

Sabanball
4/20/2012, 05:45 PM
I've been reading that as this leaks out in Michigan the fans up there are furious. Don't be surprised if someone coughs up the money and this decision is reversed.

ouwasp
4/20/2012, 09:59 PM
I'd be embarassed if I were a Wolverine fan. But I'm not.

Jacie
4/20/2012, 10:24 PM
I don't blame them, it is not an insignificant amount of money to transport 300 band members and their equipment halfway across the country. It isn't like all they have to do is rent 6 Greyhound buses and have local churches put em up and feed em for a night. Any money paid for the game appearance goes to the athletic department, not the band and they probably don't want to give up a big chunk of that just to hear the fight song and alma mater.

agoo758
4/21/2012, 01:26 AM
I like this. The NCAA has become so fixated on scheduling games in places completely unrelated to the two teams that they forget that this isn't NCAA 12 and you can't just set your stadium to be anything you want without the financial consequences. I am against non-rivals playing on nuetral fields for no reason, and I am absolutely against anyone playing in that **** texas warehouse, erm, I mean, stadium.

texaspokieokie
4/21/2012, 08:17 AM
i feel that it's a wise decision. Who really need noisy bands ??
probly right tho, alumni will step up.

Frozen Sooner
4/21/2012, 09:17 AM
Noisemakers aren't allowed at college football games.

Odd that they gave us thundersticks at the Insight Bowl. And Mississippi State fans have those damn cowbells.

badger
4/21/2012, 09:46 AM
Odd that they gave us thundersticks at the Insight Bowl. And Mississippi State fans have those damn cowbells.[/COLOR]

I don't think those count. I think it's more along the lines of horns and cowbells and such. Miss State has a tradition going so the SEC allows them, but they've had to scale back the cowbell attack or get them banned, so their fans now limit their cowbelling to dead ball times, allegedly.

MichiganSooner
4/21/2012, 01:58 PM
Too bad they can't come. The MMB is very impressive. I have not been to a game in Michigan Stadium since Bob Stoops played there in 1981. Hopefully, the alumni step up. Take a look at the traditional pregame. High step entry; the Man Up Front doing a backbend to touch his head to the ground; the baton toss over the goalpost-if caught a M victory; the Victors from start to finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgb5jvLgOHg&feature=related

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/21/2012, 03:53 PM
Let's be honest, they probably won't need anyone to play the fight song that day.The painfully obvious and transparent reason for ole Bue to not wanna send their band!

PLaw
4/21/2012, 08:47 PM
The invite to Jerry World should come with a requirment to bring the band.

Bummer

8timechamps
4/21/2012, 09:30 PM
If Michigan fans get pissed off enough, maybe they'll collect the funds needed to bring the band.

Then, about 10 minutes into the game, it'll all be for nothing. Forget halftime, I doubt there will be enough Big Blue fans left in the stadium to even care which band is preforming.

85sooners
4/21/2012, 09:50 PM
Phags

owenfieldreams
4/24/2012, 06:21 PM
Based on my experience in Jerry's stadium, they made a smart decision. The acoustics are terrible. You can't hear a band when they're on the field there. It's pitiful.

MichiganSooner
4/24/2012, 07:03 PM
Based on my experience in Jerry's stadium, they made a smart decision. The acoustics are terrible. You can't hear a band when they're on the field there. It's pitiful.

True.

Breadburner
4/24/2012, 10:25 PM
The deathstar is a ****hole....