PDA

View Full Version : Take a load off, Levon...

delhalew
4/19/2012, 11:06 PM
Take a load for free.

eOi0tC00Luc

VaQDFk0fDTk

lYqc052xv9g

Jacie
4/20/2012, 09:21 AM
Gotta love a twin-necked guitar . . .

delhalew
4/20/2012, 09:49 AM
It's a shame he passed. He's been putting out good tunes in his golden years.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
4/20/2012, 10:16 AM
Didn't he have a significant role in the movie, "The Right Stuff"? Wasn't he Yeager's buddy?

BillyBall
4/20/2012, 10:20 AM
"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" is one of my favorite songs. Probably SicEm too...

Lott's Bandana
4/20/2012, 12:32 PM
R.I.P. Virgil

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
4/20/2012, 03:51 PM
To answer my own question.

Yes. Levon Helm was in "The Right Stuff". He was the narrator and was the Lt. Colonel who hung out with Yeager.

8timechamps
4/20/2012, 06:02 PM
To answer my own question.

Yes. Levon Helm was in "The Right Stuff". He was the narrator and was the Lt. Colonel who hung out with Yeager.

Yep. Great movie!

RIP Levon

SicEmBaylor
4/21/2012, 04:24 AM
"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" is one of my favorite songs. Probably SicEm too...
Always brings a tear to my eye.

cleller
4/21/2012, 08:21 AM
That just leaves Robbie Robertson and Garth Hudson still alive....Shoot, their old boss Ronnie "The Hawk" Hawkins is still alive. Interesting story about the formation of "The Band", and its history if you ever get around to reading up on them.

C&CDean
4/21/2012, 08:47 AM
I never caught the fascination with The Band. Never owned an album, never will. Not my cuppa, yo.

hawaii 5-0
4/21/2012, 11:34 AM
RIP Levon. Imma gonna miss him. Tho Robbie wrote most of the songs Levon often got the chore of singing them.

The Band captured Americana in a musical form. Interesting that Levon was the only American.

5-0

cleller
4/21/2012, 01:53 PM
I never caught the fascination with The Band. Never owned an album, never will. Not my cuppa, yo.

I think it can take people awhile to warm up to The Band. They were so built up by critics that you can almost resent them just for that reason. I think the reason people love them so much is simply their level of musical talent. All of them were fine musicians, plus 3 of the guys were great singers, and all very different.

I didn't really appreciate them until seeing a documentary about the days up in Canada backing Ronnie Hawkins, playing every night for years in one dive after another.
Heard the story about Eric Clapton hearing The Band's first record, and realizing on the spot he was done with Cream?

Try this one. Never been on the radio.
http://youtu.be/45htqmgE2C0

hawaii 5-0
4/21/2012, 03:00 PM
Before I found out about their musicianship or their relationship with Dylan I was struck by the 'sound' of their music.

Up on Cripple Creek was the first Band song I heard on the radio and it was just so different from other pop/rock songs.

Then later I heard The Night They drove Old Dixie Down.

It was like they captured America at an earlier time and place, but in music. Much like the Grateful Dead's Workingman's Dead or American Beauty did. A certain 'back to your roots' feel about the music that I found very attractive at the time. This was also around the time I really started listening to Bluegrass.

Sure I loved Hard Rock, but I discovered that loudness doesn't necessarily mean better. Actually listening to the music, and how it's constructed, chord progressions, fills, tempo changes, etc. had a sweet affect on my musical appreciation at that time.

5-0

delhalew
4/22/2012, 09:23 AM
That song I posted "the Mountain", sums up what he'd been doing lately. I really liked his recent albums.

picasso
4/22/2012, 10:23 AM
The Weight is an all time classic.

picasso
4/22/2012, 10:24 AM
btw, CBS Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood just did a wonderful piece on him.

Lott's Bandana
4/22/2012, 11:26 AM
That song I posted "the Mountain", sums up what he'd been doing lately. I really liked his recent albums.

Thanks for posting that. I've been listening to Levon/The Band all weekend on Spotify...it's just been really nice. Really nice.

delhalew
4/22/2012, 11:53 AM
Levon didn't write this one, but I love his version.

y2QYJ64iVWE&gl

SanJoaquinSooner
4/22/2012, 12:35 PM
The Weight is an all time classic.

Yeah, it was included in Easy Rider so it will forever be part of Americana film history.

My junior roommate at OU played "The Band" album almost on a daily basis for a few months.... so I got to know it well.

picasso
4/23/2012, 01:42 PM
ha.