PDA

View Full Version : Mike Gundy made a Spring game rule

MamaMia
4/19/2012, 10:30 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/giggle.gif

No "full fledge" tackling! [hairGel]

NormanPride
4/20/2012, 02:11 AM
With this and the "only practice four hours a week" deal during the fall I am shocked those kids know how to suit up and play. But they do, so... whatever works? I wonder if this will catch up to them, though.

Curly Bill
4/20/2012, 08:13 AM
Not wanting to beat up your own dudes in the Spring - don't see a problem with that.

texaspokieokie
4/20/2012, 08:21 AM
I remember at least one spring when Switzer held some guys out, like Little Joe & the Selmons.

oudavid1
4/20/2012, 08:40 AM
Not going to criticize a coach who beat us 41-10 last year.

Curly Bill
4/20/2012, 08:46 AM

That's a fair point!

oudavid1
4/20/2012, 08:47 AM
That's a fair point!

Why thank you Bill :D

Curly Bill
4/20/2012, 08:48 AM
Why thank you Bill :D

You're welcome, though I'm sure you'll be told by some you're not a real fan, you should go post on the pokes board, etc, etc...

oudavid1
4/20/2012, 08:52 AM
You're welcome, though I'm sure you'll be told by some you're not a real fan, you should go post on the pokes board, etc, etc...

Well you know....
http://i44.tinypic.com/mwv1co.jpg

LVSOONER15
4/20/2012, 09:29 AM
Nothing to see here. Move on.

oudavid1
4/20/2012, 09:36 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/dy6eko.jpg

jumperstop
4/20/2012, 09:40 AM
I have no problem with telling his team this. But I'm sure the school isn't too happy about the fact he just revealed that this saturday's scrimage is going to be nothing more than a glorified flag football match. How many osu fans just decided that they were going to go because of this?

oudavid1
4/20/2012, 09:43 AM
I have no problem with telling his team this. But I'm sure the school isn't too happy about the fact he just revealed that this saturday's scrimage is going to be nothing more than a glorified flag football match. How many osu fans just decided that they were going to go because of this?

Hold on. Who the hell goes to a spring game for tackling? Trust me. People go because they miss football. This wont affect anything.

StoopTroup
4/20/2012, 09:46 AM
Can we criticize the one with a 59-30 Record that had never beat us until last year?

jumperstop
4/20/2012, 09:48 AM
Hold on. Who the hell goes to a spring game for tackling? Trust me. People go because they miss football. This wont affect anything.

I don't go for the tackling, but without tackling everything is going to be 50% effort and poor play. It wouldn't stop me from going to a red/white game, but if I had to drive an hour and half from the city I might consider how the game would be before investing my entire day....

oudavid1
4/20/2012, 09:50 AM
I don't go for the tackling, but without tackling everything is going to be 50% effort and poor play. It wouldn't stop me from going to a red/white game, but if I had to drive an hour and half from the city I might consider how the game would be before investing my entire day....

eh, same as always.

StoopTroup
4/20/2012, 10:01 AM

You 1st need to understand that nobody is really going to the Game but a bunch of folks who like to paint themselves bright orange and beat on the side of the stadium with butt paddles.

jumperstop
4/20/2012, 10:22 AM
You 1st need to understand that nobody is really going to the Game but a bunch of folks who like to paint themselves bright orange and beat on the side of the stadium with butt paddles.

That's what I'm saying. It's hard enough to get people to go to a regular game there. I'm not talking about red/white game David. We can fill our stadium. But for poor ole osu they have enough trouble getting people to come to bedlam, much less a flag football game an hour from anything cool....

CowboyMRW
4/20/2012, 11:16 AM
No different than any other game in Stillwater. All offense and no defense ;)

jumperstop
4/20/2012, 12:33 PM
No different than any other game in Stillwater. All offense and no defense ;)

I thought spring games were supposed to be all defense and no offense for the most part. I mean your d should be playing against your offense in practice ever day and know most of the formations....If you offense is throwing the ball all over your defense that doesn't bode well for next year.

agoo758
4/20/2012, 03:55 PM
Meh..... this site has proclaimed the previous year to be the last decent season for Diet Oklahoma every year since 2008, and they keep proving us wrong. Tough to really criticize anyone until these tactics stop working.

goingoneight
4/20/2012, 05:35 PM
Are they really proving us wrong or just taking advantage of the fact that the teams that usually own them are down or out of the conference now? Gundy's done a great job there... but Texas is a shadow of their former selves, Leach kept TT/OSU interesting and OU's been on the wrong end of the injury bug. Like Switzer said a few years ago about Mizzou being the new KSU power team in the north division... "when a bunch of guys start stinking it up, someone's going to get better by default."
That said, it HAS been four really good years in a row now for OSU.

MamaMia
4/21/2012, 11:20 AM
Like Switzer said a few years ago about Mizzou being the new KSU power team in the north division... "when a bunch of guys start stinking it up, someone's going to get better by default." I love Barry quotes. :)

Seamus
4/21/2012, 12:32 PM
Well you know....
http://i44.tinypic.com/mwv1co.jpg

Memers gonna meme.

Eielson
4/21/2012, 12:40 PM

The same one who is 1-6 vs. us?

badger
4/21/2012, 03:04 PM
The same one who is 1-6 vs. us?

They've beaten us 1 out of the last 1! [hairGel]

PLaw
4/21/2012, 09:32 PM

Agreed. And, I don't have an issue with holding experienced players out. That said, you usually play like you practice. I hope Mike continues this through the season.

BOOMER

goingoneight
4/23/2012, 10:24 PM
I heard a few Pokies all giddy on the radio today and at work talking about how all three of their QBs would start over Landry Jones because they racked up 700 some odd yards passing in their Spring game. I'm pretty sure that happens when you play two-touch football, aggy. :D

picasso
4/23/2012, 10:26 PM
Meh..... this site has proclaimed the previous year to be the last decent season for Diet Oklahoma every year since 2008, and they keep proving us wrong. Tough to really criticize anyone until these tactics stop working.
What tactic is that exactly? Having the best QB in the history of your program fall *** first into your coaches office? mmmk.

8timechamps
4/23/2012, 10:32 PM
Kiffin did the same thing at USC, however his was based on the fact that they have no depth and have already lost a RB. I get why coaches limit (or eliminate) contact in the spring.

As for oSu, they had a great year, but if anyone (other than a Poke fan) thinks that they will be anywhere near as good as they were last year, then either you aren't giving Weeden and Blackmon the credit they deserved (and it hurts to say that), or you don't watch much football. You don't lose two play-makers like that at a school like oSu and expect to win the conference...unless you're a moronic poke fan.

sooneron
4/24/2012, 09:51 AM
You don't lose two play-makers like that at a school like oSu and expect to win the conference...unless you're a moronic poke fan.
Uh... redundancy, there...

8timechamps
4/24/2012, 04:12 PM
Uh... redundancy, there...

Sorry...it slipped out.