PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Cheese ****** ******s...(FAO Juan)

Turd_Ferguson
4/19/2012, 09:17 PM
I've got a chicken enchilada with sour cream sauce recipe that'll make ya slap your grandma...However, the wife wants me to make some cheese enchiladas. Anybody got a good recipe? What cheeses to use? Queso Fresco? Jack? Help a brother out please...

Mazeppa
4/19/2012, 09:28 PM
I work with about 15 Mexicans I could ask one of them.

Turd_Ferguson
4/19/2012, 09:29 PM
I work with about 15 Mexicans I could ask one of them.Well, you could have done that before replying...It's not like you need my permission or something...

hawaii 5-0
4/19/2012, 09:36 PM
Luv enchiladas. And Chimis. And tamales. And tacos. And burritos. And chaquitas named Juanita.

5-0

olevetonahill
4/19/2012, 09:45 PM
When I had my Beaner restaurants, I used a blend of Mild Cheddar and Monterrey Jack

SanJoaquinSooner
4/20/2012, 08:15 AM
I think you got two ways to go on cheese enchiladas: melted or crumbly. The melted is more a personal preference - some folks like jack or cheddar. I personally would use this:

http://www.sargento.com/media/product/front/00092---8oz-4ChsMxcn_CropTransShad.png

For crumbly cheese, I would use cotija. It's my favorite, but it may be an acquired taste, like scotch whiskey.

http://www.caciquecelebration.com/media/images/cacique_featured_product_02.png.

Good enchiladas are lots of hard work. The most important element is the chile-coated tortilla. And getting the chile sauce right is not easy.

Maria's family uses chiles that are like New Mexico or Guajillos, with a bit of a kick, that look like this:

http://media.agriculturesource.com/product/imgage/Agriculture/2010101101/eb4477b8b1ce8165c7a5ab570da10144.jpg

So we steam cubed potatoes, mix in some of the chile sauce and the shredded cotija. Quick fry the tortillas in the chile sauce, and fill with potato and roll. Top with shredded lettuce (or cabbabe) and top with more potato and some steamed carrots and more cotija. The end product looks like this:

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/enchiladapasera.jpg

texaspokieokie
4/20/2012, 08:18 AM
Looks yummy !!!!!

Turd_Ferguson
4/20/2012, 09:00 AM
I think I'm gonna grate up some medium sharp cheddar and jack then crumble some queso fresco on top before putting in the oven.

Thankf for the input.

Curly Bill
4/20/2012, 09:40 AM
Grind up some dog meat and put in em!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
4/20/2012, 10:15 AM
I've got a chicken enchilada with sour cream sauce recipe that'll make ya slap your grandma...However, the wife wants me to make some cheese enchiladas. Anybody got a good recipe? What cheeses to use? Queso Fresco? Jack? Help a brother out please...

If you want good white Mexican cheese that melts smoothly you need ASADERO cheese. I'm not sure where you can find it. I live next to the Rio Grande and we have it everywhere. It is, by far, the best melting cheese from down south.

StoopTroup
4/20/2012, 10:23 AM
Cinco de Mayo ain't till next month

OULenexaman
4/20/2012, 11:05 AM
That is one nasty *** looking counter top....

olevetonahill
4/20/2012, 11:48 AM
Prolly in a McSpits someeres

salth2o
4/20/2012, 01:04 PM
Definitely use some Fromunda Cheese.

C&CDean
4/20/2012, 01:15 PM
If you want good white Mexican cheese that melts smoothly you need ASADERO cheese. I'm not sure where you can find it. I live next to the Rio Grande and we have it everywhere. It is, by far, the best melting cheese from down south.

This. Asadero has a great flavor and melts well. Momma uses it on tacos, cheese crips with chiles, and enchiladas. It's also great on a chorizo and egg burrito or in/on an omelette.

StoopTroup
4/20/2012, 11:02 PM
This. Asadero has a great flavor and melts well. Momma uses it on tacos, cheese crips with chiles, and enchiladas. It's also great on a chorizo and egg burrito or in/on an omelette.

Will give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/20/2012, 11:59 PM

Well, Jesus Hernando Christ, Lenex, .... I woulda cleaned the counter top for you but I was fresh outta photoshop.

StoopTroup
4/22/2012, 07:39 PM

We bought some Asadero today. It came in slices at Reasor's. It's pretty soft and has a different taste. Not real strong but it seems like once you melt it or combine it with the food it will really go well with the dish and not overwhelm it.

delhalew
4/22/2012, 07:54 PM
Hmm. I never do enchiladas without one meat or another, but I would use that four cheese blend for complexity.

Most important though, if not a white sauce like chicken enchiladas, is your chili sauce. I go half and half with the guajillos Juan mentioned, and dried ancho chilies. Both are likely available at your local grocery. If you need to mellow it out for somebody who can't take the heat, I cut it with tomato juice.

Frying your tortillas in the sauce is KEY. It's the difference between holy **** that's good and meh.

Whet
4/22/2012, 08:47 PM
Chihuahua cheese!

http://static.caloriecount.about.com/images/medium/supremo-chihuahua-cheese-mexican-21396.jpg

OUbwig333
4/22/2012, 10:41 PM
Man, been reading this thread and was waiting on the recipe? Any chance we can get the slap yo momma recipe? If it is a family thing that you don't share, I completely understand.