PDA

View Full Version : 2013 ESPN 150 is out

PalmettoSooner
4/17/2012, 01:11 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports//football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu150/sort/rank/class/2013

KantoSooner
4/17/2012, 04:31 PM
I know it's ridiculous, but I always get a little downhearted to see OU getting so few 'name' recruits.
I know it's ridiculous.

Widescreen
4/17/2012, 08:34 PM
I'm sure that there are tons of kids on that list that are dying to get to Stoolwater.

8timechamps
4/17/2012, 11:07 PM
I know it's ridiculous, but I always get a little downhearted to see OU getting so few 'name' recruits.
I know it's ridiculous.

Me too, and I follow this stuff fairly close. It always plays out the same way though, OU has their targets, and it rarely follows the top lists out there. We've been off to a slower start this off-season, but things will pick up...and we already have some seriously talented guys committed. But, I know what you're saying.

8timechamps
4/17/2012, 11:11 PM
Also, there are quite a few recruits on the list that we have a real shot at landing. Just as an example, The #3 player on the list, Laremy Tunsil (OT from Florida) said this late last week:

“Right now, UGA , LSU, Alabama, Florida and Oklahoma are on top,” Tunsil said. “The coaches I have the best relationship with are Will Friend, John Lilly and Mike Bobo from UGA, Bryant Young from Florida, Coach [Bruce] Kittle from Oklahoma and Coach [Brick] Haley from LSU.”

Still a long way to go.

KantoSooner
4/18/2012, 10:35 AM
I would like to get an OT who's ranked No. 3 player over all. The prospect of watching opposing defenses get drive blocked ten yards deep and then pan caked makes me all happy.

Curly Bill
4/18/2012, 10:38 AM
I would like to get an OT who's ranked No. 3 player over all. The prospect of watching opposing defenses get drive blocked ten yards deep and then pan caked makes me all happy.

Stephen Good was supposed to be this guy, a 5-star recruit, ranked top 30 nationally...an OK player but one who hasn't lived up to his "ranking."

KantoSooner
4/18/2012, 02:16 PM
Yep. And wasn't Farniok supposed to have a 'mean streak'? is this where we blame Smitty for being soft on them?

Curly Bill
4/18/2012, 02:36 PM
Yep. And wasn't Farniok supposed to have a 'mean streak'? is this where we blame Smitty for being soft on them?

Soft on em isn't something I've ever thought of regards to Smitty. I'm not a Smitty fan, but I don't think being soft is often associated with him.

Curly Bill
4/18/2012, 02:37 PM

It's easy to be mean to other HS kids whom are half your size, it's a little different facing guys almost as big as you, and just as if not more athletic and strong.

8timechamps
4/18/2012, 06:02 PM

I think the jury is still out on Farniok. From what I've read, the kid (while big as a truck) was really raw when he arrived. He's also been behind some really good players. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play some this season, and next year he'll be forced into action.

8timechamps
4/18/2012, 06:04 PM
It's easy to be mean to other HS kids whom are half your size, it's a little different facing guys almost as big as you, and just as if not more athletic and strong.

That reminds me of something the Boz said, something like "When you're an all-star in high school, the game is easy. When you get to a school like Oklahoma, everyone was a high school all-star and it's not easy".

boomersooner28
4/18/2012, 08:19 PM
Whoaaaa Meatchicken has 11 of those kids committed!?!? WTF!

cccasooner2
4/19/2012, 02:11 PM
I know it's ridiculous.

At least it minimizes the number of players fans will label as busts. ;)

OU_Sooners75
4/19/2012, 05:12 PM
Me too, and I follow this stuff fairly close. It always plays out the same way though, OU has their targets, and it rarely follows the top lists out there. We've been off to a slower start this off-season, but things will pick up...and we already have some seriously talented guys committed. But, I know what you're saying.

We have been off to a slower start?

Just a couple of years back, we didnt pick up our first commitment until June.

I would much rather have a coaching staff that expresses interest and gets their name out to others nationally (you know cast a longer line out for fishing kids nationally) than to fill up their committment list before the end of May (et al. Texas) and then have no wiggle room to get soem players that explode onto the scene their Senior year.

Ou is slowing it down so they can better evaluate talent. They have always filled up slower than Texas, USC, and Bama (under Saban)....and yet they have been better and more consistent than either of those programs the last 12 years.

OU_Sooners75
4/19/2012, 05:14 PM

Farniok will be a beast before his time at OU is up. He is getting a lot of good reviews from team mates and coaches this spring.

He was red shirted last year.

Herr Scholz
4/19/2012, 08:01 PM
I would much rather have a coaching staff that expresses interest and gets their name out to others nationally (you know cast a longer line out for fishing kids nationally) than to fill up their committment list before the end of May (et al. Texas) and then have no wiggle room to get soem players that explode onto the scene their Senior year.
The fact that you guys are recruiting so nationally is the main reason I think your class fills up a little slower.

Ou is slowing it down so they can better evaluate talent.
This is a common misperception. OU has 96 offers out right now with 4 commits. Texas has 21 offers out with 13 commits (8 of whom had OU offers). It's not as if you're being stingy and slow with offers. And the same has been true for early offers for both schools the past few years that I've been watching it closely.

Like I said, I think your national approach vs. our local one just takes more time. In any case, we'll both get a lot of good players no matter when they commit.

Sabanball
4/19/2012, 08:20 PM
I've always thought that OU should recruit more nationally, but when there's so much low-hanging fruit in Texas, I guess it's easy to understand why they don't and run out of schollies.

Bama most likely will sign the two top players, and look for the no. 8 player Dee Liner to flip from Auburn to us. Robert Nkemdiche will not announce until NSD but most think that he will roll with the tide.(lifelong fan, hs coach is Bama alum, Saban recruiting in-roads into ATL, and has camped with us for past 3 yrs)

The rich get richer....

NormanPride
4/20/2012, 02:09 AM
Right now, UGA , LSU, Alabama, Florida and Oklahoma are on top,”

I really think our recruiting would take a huge uptick if we joined the SEC. Of course we'd then have to use that talent to win more hard games... I like where we are with Stoops. We contend for the title just about every year, and we're fun to watch.

OU_Sooners75
4/20/2012, 07:06 PM
The fact that you guys are recruiting so nationally is the main reason I think your class fills up a little slower.

This is a common misperception. OU has 96 offers out right now with 4 commits. Texas has 21 offers out with 13 commits (8 of whom had OU offers). It's not as if you're being stingy and slow with offers. And the same has been true for early offers for both schools the past few years that I've been watching it closely.

Like I said, I think your national approach vs. our local one just takes more time. In any case, we'll both get a lot of good players no matter when they commit.

96 offers yes. But they are also telling every single recruit to take their time. They are not promising them anything at this point.

This is a slow down. OU is taking their time and they are indeed making sure they evaluate more than star rankings of all these players.

If a player that they have sent an offer out to, accepts and commits to OU, they won't back off of it. But they are in no way in a hurry to fill their very limited amount of scholarships they have.

Herr Scholz
4/20/2012, 08:36 PM
That doesn't make much sense. 96 offers is what it is. And it's not slow. And it's not deliberate. It's offering all the top rated guys nationwide, many of whom you'll get. It just takes time.

Sabanball
4/20/2012, 10:24 PM
I really think our recruiting would take a huge uptick if we joined the SEC. Of course we'd then have to use that talent to win more hard games... I like where we are with Stoops. We contend for the title just about every year, and we're fun to watch.

Of course it would, especially nationally. But you guys are one of the few, elite programs that will ALWAYS do well regardless of conference affiliation.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/21/2012, 01:15 AM
Whoaaaa Meatchicken has 11 of those kids committed!?!? WTF!It looks like that new coach up there in that dying state is able to haul in some bigtime talent. They are prolly being told the meatchickens are gonna have a top tier program, and be able to regularly beat the Treenuts.

OU_Sooners75
4/21/2012, 04:08 PM
That doesn't make much sense. 96 offers is what it is. And it's not slow. And it's not deliberate. It's offering all the top rated guys nationwide, many of whom you'll get. It just takes time.

You can make sense of it or not....won't expect a cowturd to understand it.

The fact is, OU has not been pressing any of those kids that they have sent offers out too. That my cowpie friend is playing it slow.

8timechamps
4/21/2012, 09:33 PM
Of course it would, especially nationally. But you guys are one of the few, elite programs that will ALWAYS do well regardless of conference affiliation.

I don't think it would make a bit of difference. OU, as you said, will always do well in recruiting. I'll give it to you that the past 5-7 years have been all about the SEC, but college football history is filled with decades owned by other teams/conferences.

The college football world won't revolve around the SEC forever. There was a time when the PAC 10 owned college football, and the Big 8. This is just the SEC's time. Enjoy it while it lasts.

4/21/2012, 10:30 PM
You can make sense of it or not....won't expect a cowturd to understand it.

The fact is, OU has not been pressing any of those kids that they have sent offers out too. That my cowpie friend is playing it slow.Scholz and Sabansballz are here as spies for their respective Nuisances. They are coached to brag and dismiss, and give occasional compliments, so as to not raise too much ire.

Herr Scholz
4/23/2012, 09:50 AM
I'm here to get and share info about recruiting which I like to follow. I just don't see how offering 96 kids before May is being slow and deliberate and evaluating. I think it's spin from some about UT having 13 commits and you having 4 and trying to say you're being smarter and slower in the process when it's actually the opposite. It's simply not true. OU sends far more early offers out every year.

OU_Sooners75
4/23/2012, 06:54 PM
I'm here to get and share info about recruiting which I like to follow. I just don't see how offering 96 kids before May is being slow and deliberate and evaluating. I think it's spin from some about UT having 13 commits and you having 4 and trying to say you're being smarter and slower in the process when it's actually the opposite. It's simply not true. OU sends far more early offers out every year.

OU and any school can send out offers early and often. However, it is how much contact that you have with each offer that counts as pressing or not. It is also what you tell them. OU has been telling each recruit to take their time and enjoy the process.

That said, you say you enjoy following recruiting, then you should know and understand that you have got to send out offers early to the preceived top notch talent. You cannot get in the picture late or you would be wasting your time with them.

PalmettoSooner
4/23/2012, 07:13 PM
OU and any school can send out offers early and often. However, it is how much contact that you have with each offer that counts as pressing or not. It is also what you tell them. OU has been telling each recruit to take their time and enjoy the process.

That said, you say you enjoy following recruiting, then you should know and understand that you have got to send out offers early to the preceived top notch talent. You cannot get in the picture late or you would be wasting your time with them.

Exactly 75.

OUTrumpet
4/23/2012, 07:27 PM
Here's the one I don't get.

Tyrone Swoopes
Video | Scouts Report
[ESPNU 150]
QB-DT Whitewright, TX
Whitewright High School 6'4'' 220

Texas
Committed
02/17/2012

Really? Quarterback and interior defensive line? I've heard of QBs playing LB and secondary, but I don't think I've seen that combo before.

Also saw one of my students on there. One that is really high on OU from his own mouth (along with Notre Dame and Bama, leaning against Bama cause of what they did to that running back last year). Guy is smart and also showed me his OU recruitment letter offering him a scholly from the first day it was available.

8timechamps
4/23/2012, 07:30 PM
Here's the one I don't get.

Tyrone Swoopes
Video | Scouts Report
[ESPNU 150]
QB-DT Whitewright, TX
Whitewright High School 6'4'' 220

Texas
Committed
02/17/2012

Really? Quarterback and interior defensive line? I've heard of QBs playing LB and secondary, but I don't think I've seen that combo before.

Typo maybe? The kid is a stud, and we wanted him. But he was never really considering anyone but Texas.

8timechamps
4/23/2012, 07:33 PM

For those that either 1) don't remember, 2) are new here, or 3) don't pay attention....Herr has been on Soonerfans for a long time. I don't remember if he was a trouble maker horn fan early on, but for the most part, Herr is a good dude. He doesn't talk a bunch of **** about how great the horns are, and he seems to be a realist about his team. He's proud of his team, which is understandable, it just so happens that we hate his team more than any other team. :)

4/23/2012, 07:38 PM
...it just so happens that some of us hate his team more than any other team. :)FIFY

8timechamps
4/23/2012, 07:49 PM
FIFY

Fair enough. I hate Texas one week a year, but otherwise I don't really care one way or another. In fact, if we're talking about loathing fans, I'd put most oSu fans at the top of the list. Especially since last year.

8timechamps
4/23/2012, 08:11 PM
We have been off to a slower start?

Just a couple of years back, we didnt pick up our first commitment until June.

Ou is slowing it down so they can better evaluate talent. They have always filled up slower than Texas, USC, and Bama (under Saban)....and yet they have been better and more consistent than either of those programs the last 12 years.

Yep, we've definitely been off to a slower start. I'm not talking specifically about commitments, but there is no question that the offers are down from previous years. Now, some of that may have to do with Mike coming in and wanting to do his own evaluations, and some of it may have to do with the more "national approach", but we are certainly off to a slower start.

We won't know for a few years if this new strategy pays off, but I think HCBS is thinking down the line, and that fact the the conferences are changing, and the landscape will be more national (i.e. West Virginia in the Big XII). I think it's a good approach, but risky to be sure.

4/24/2012, 01:23 AM
Fair enough. I hate Texas one week a year, but otherwise I don't really care one way or another. In fact, if we're talking about loathing fans, I'd put most oSu fans at the top of the list. Especially since last year.
1)domer
2)orange aggy
3)the cows
4)usuc
5)all other non-Sooner teams

Herr Scholz
4/24/2012, 11:56 AM
Gracias, 8. Yes, I've been here for a while. I've had my moments but for the most part I'm respectful over here on your site. These days I'm mainly just on the recruiting page for info.

Neath a Western Sky
4/24/2012, 01:09 PM
Over the past decade (2002-2011) under Bob, we have averaged a #11 national ranking in the final, post-season AP poll. This ESPN data doesn't seem to vary much from that track record.

Widescreen
4/24/2012, 03:27 PM
It's amazing what losing the last game of the season does for your final ranking.

8timechamps
4/24/2012, 08:08 PM
1)domer
2)orange aggy
3)the cows
4)usuc
5)all other non-Sooner teams

Okay, I'll go with your list. But you're going to have to squeeze LSU in there somewhere in the top 4.

4/25/2012, 12:29 AM
Okay, I'll go with your list. But you're going to have to squeeze LSU in there somewhere in the top 4.I harken back to TGTWDND, and the kibash it put on our program, hence the presence of usuc. I'll give it to ya that the tigahbaits are miserable pukes, however, and are near the bottom of the dark hole of despicability, constituted by all the non-Sooner teams and fan bases that are not in the worst 4.

OU_Sooners75
4/25/2012, 03:40 PM
Okay, I'll go with your list. But you're going to have to squeeze LSU in there somewhere in the top 4.

1. Texass
2. Notre Lame
3. USuC
4. LSU
5. All but Bama from the SEC

I do not hate OSU. But I do not cheer for them either. I have had family play for them, so I tend to stay away from hating them, though I wil l rag on OSU a lot!

8timechamps
4/25/2012, 06:34 PM
1. Texass
2. Notre Lame
3. USuC
4. LSU
5. All but Bama from the SEC

I do not hate OSU. But I do not cheer for them either. I have had family play for them, so I tend to stay away from hating them, though I wil l rag on OSU a lot!

If you've had family play for them, then that definitely explains why they are not in your top 5. That always tends to change ones opinion a little.

I've never had family play for them, but I do have a couple of close friends that graduated from oSu and bleed orange. They are both THE most annoying fans of any team I have ever encountered in my life. The weird thing is that outside of college sports, they're great people. You'd never know how obnoxious they are if you only knew them on a professional level.

I was visiting one of them last August (in Oklahoma...I live in Colorado), and I walked in their front door and his 8 year old son walked up (keep in mind, this was the first thing said) and said "hey, it's the chokelahoma fan! The proceeded to hit me with his poke paddle (or whatever the hell they call it) until I took it from him. His dad (my friend) thought it was hilarious. I, on the other hand, was pissed and realized that he is creating the next generation of obnoxious poke fans.

4/26/2012, 12:56 AM
If you've had family play for them, then that definitely explains why they are not in your top 5. That always tends to change ones opinion a little.

I've never had family play for them, but I do have a couple of close friends that graduated from oSu and bleed orange. They are both THE most annoying fans of any team I have ever encountered in my life. The weird thing is that outside of college sports, they're great people. You'd never know how obnoxious they are if you only knew them on a professional level.

I was visiting one of them last August (in Oklahoma...I live in Colorado), and I walked in their front door and his 8 year old son walked up (keep in mind, this was the first thing said) and said "hey, it's the chokelahoma fan! The proceeded to hit me with his poke paddle (or whatever the hell they call it) until I took it from him. His dad (my friend) thought it was hilarious. I, on the other hand, was pissed and realized that he is creating the next generation of obnoxious poke fans.They are only a couple sheep hairs away from overtaking the despicable domers on the top of the dungheap.

Seamus
4/26/2012, 03:54 AM

I was visiting one of them last August (in Oklahoma...I live in Colorado), and I walked in their front door and his 8 year old son walked up (keep in mind, this was the first thing said) and said "hey, it's the chokelahoma fan! The proceeded to hit me with his poke paddle (or whatever the hell they call it) until I took it from him. His dad (my friend) thought it was hilarious. I, on the other hand, was pissed and realized that he is creating the next generation of obnoxious poke fans.

I'll be disappointed if their house was still standing ...

OU_Sooners75
4/26/2012, 02:19 PM

Dude there are examples of that on the Sooner side of the rivalry too.

4/26/2012, 02:48 PM
Dude there are examples of that on the Sooner side of the rivalry too.and, I would guess those examples are VERY rare compared to the frequency of such behavior by the oa fans. Most Sooner fans I've seen wouldn't carry on in such a pi*s-poor fashion with their oa friends and family members.

OU_Sooners75
4/26/2012, 02:57 PM
and, I would guess those examples are VERY rare compared to the frequency of such behavior by the oa fans. Most Sooner fans I've seen wouldn't carry on in such a pi*s-poor fashion with their oa friends and family members.

I have seen such behavior more than I woudl like too.

Im pretty sure there isn't stat site out there that keeps track. But I have witnessed the same type of attitude from fellow Sooner fans toward OSU fans.

You cannot say there are not idiot OU fans out there....look at the one that ripped the scrotum of a Texas fan off as an example.

I guess what I am saying is we shouldn't try to act all high and mighty on that example...because every fan base has them!

4/26/2012, 04:31 PM
I have seen such behavior more than I woudl like too.

Im pretty sure there isn't stat site out there that keeps track. But I have witnessed the same type of attitude from fellow Sooner fans toward OSU fans.

You cannot say there are not idiot OU fans out there....look at the one that ripped the scrotum of a Texas fan off as an example.

I guess what I am saying is we shouldn't try to act all high and mighty on that example...because every fan base has them!No opinion of my original answer?

OU_Sooners75
4/26/2012, 04:53 PM
No opinion of my original answer?

Just gave it.

4/26/2012, 05:04 PM
Just gave it.tHAT MORAL EQUIVALENCY THING IS JUST AS WRONG IN THIS COMPARISON AS IT IS IN POLITICS, ALTHOUGH FOR DIFFERENT REASONS.Woops, sorry about all the caps. I didn't look up while typing.

orange aggy SUCKS. Whiny, inferiority complexed fanbase. Sorry, OU 75.

OU_Sooners75
4/26/2012, 07:08 PM
tHAT MORAL EQUIVALENCY THING IS JUST AS WRONG IN THIS COMPARISON AS IT IS IN POLITICS, ALTHOUGH FOR DIFFERENT REASONS.Woops, sorry about all the caps. I didn't look up while typing.

orange aggy SUCKS. Whiny, inferiority complexed fanbase. Sorry, OU 75.

I agree, they are a whiny inferiority complexed fan base for the most part. But that doesn't take away the fact that there are pathetic Sooner fans as well.

MountainOkie
5/1/2012, 08:21 PM

I think it stands for "dual threat". Still, very confusing when you have an actual DT position in the game.