PDA

View Full Version : I gots a question fer you Legal types

olevetonahill
4/13/2012, 11:40 PM
After reading that deal about the Secret Service dudes I got to thinking about Diplomatic imunity. I know they wernt Diplomats

My question is

Say the Ambassador to a Country committed some horrible crime. That country Cant prosecute him. They can expel him, But not Prosecute.

Now When the Dude gets back to the States Can the Feds Prosecute him?

Chuck Bao
4/14/2012, 04:41 AM
I'm not a legal type but I will make a stab at it. Yes, the US Fed can and will prosecute Americans for some crimes committed overseas such as sex tourism with under-aged foreign nationals or corporate corruption involving US companies.

olevetonahill
4/14/2012, 05:53 AM
I'm not a legal type but I will make a stab at it. Yes, the US Fed can and will prosecute Americans for some crimes committed overseas such as sex tourism with under-aged foreign nationals or corporate corruption involving US companies.

Knew that Bro

My question is , The dude has Diplomatic immunity in the country he was serving , Does that carry over to when he returns to the states?

Chuck Bao
4/14/2012, 06:06 AM
Knew that Bro

My question is , The dude has Diplomatic immunity in the country he was serving , Does that carry over to when he returns to the states?

Yes, if it involves the crimes which Americans can be prosecuted for while overseas. US courts do not recognize diplomatic immunity for US nationals.

If the crime is something heinous like murder, I would expect that the US State Department would waive diplomatic immunity and let him/her be prosecuted in the country where the crime was committed. Or at least, I hope they would. War, the military and the spy vs. spy thing is a whole 'nother matter.

jkjsooner
4/24/2012, 12:45 PM
From Wikipedia (for whatever it's worth):

It is possible for the official's home country to waive immunity; this tends to happen only when the individual has committed a serious crime, unconnected with their diplomatic role (as opposed to, say, allegations of spying), or has witnessed such a crime. However, many countries refuse to waive immunity as a matter of course; individuals have no authority to waive their own immunity (except perhaps in cases of defection). Alternatively, the home country may prosecute the individual. If immunity is waived by a government so that a diplomat (or their family members) can be prosecuted, it must be because there is a case to answer and it is in the public interest to prosecute them. A 2002 example of a Colombian diplomat in London being prosecuted for the manslaughter of a man who mugged his son in a Tesco car park was deemed in the public interest once diplomatic immunity was waived by the Colombian government.

sappstuf
4/24/2012, 01:21 PM
Knew that Bro

Did you do something we need to know about Vet, or is this "for a friend"? ;)

KantoSooner
4/24/2012, 01:42 PM
Somehow the idea of Vet on a diplomatic mission is just not working in my mind's eye.

olevetonahill
4/24/2012, 02:09 PM
Somehow the idea of Vet on a diplomatic mission is just not working in my mind's eye.

I can be diplomatic ya worthless POS sweathog.:unconscious:

KantoSooner
4/24/2012, 02:18 PM
Now wait a cotton picking minute! I'm worth something!!!

olevetonahill
4/24/2012, 02:20 PM
Now wait a cotton picking minute! I'm worth something!!!
:adoration:

Midtowner
4/24/2012, 02:24 PM
Just watch Lethal Weapon 2.

XingTheRubicon
4/24/2012, 02:42 PM
Heh

I Am Right
4/24/2012, 03:15 PM
Gots?

olevetonahill
4/24/2012, 03:58 PM
Gots?
If you aint a Legal Type then I dint AX you.