PDA

View Full Version : Storms

rock on sooner
4/13/2012, 03:16 PM
Hey, you guys, I'm watching CNN and they just showed some UGLY looking
storm clouds, then went to commmercial. Don't know where but keep your
eyes on the skies and keep your head down!!!!!

rock on sooner
4/13/2012, 03:20 PM
Northwest of Chickasha.....

pphilfran
4/13/2012, 03:43 PM
The one bearing down on OKC/Norman could get nasty...

I had pea sized hail from the one that skirted Lawton

olevetonahill
4/13/2012, 03:55 PM
Thems just the babies kickin up a bit
The real shat be here before long

rock on sooner
4/13/2012, 04:11 PM
They're sayin' one is on the ground in Norman...on Lindsay...

olevetonahill
4/13/2012, 04:18 PM
Be safe folks

boomersooner28
4/13/2012, 04:29 PM
DUCK!

OU-HSV
4/13/2012, 04:50 PM
Getting reports about damage...

http://www.newson6.com/story/17417133/tornado-on-the-ground-in-norman

Lott's Bandana
4/13/2012, 04:52 PM
First time in memory a tornado actually touched down in Norman-proper. Supposedly in history.

Sucker came in fast and never blinked.

Some EF1 damage around the High School (NHS), Police Station and North Porter.

SoonerStormchaser
4/13/2012, 05:18 PM
Saw the circulation go over my house in NE Norman...nice and rain-wrapped. Not much damage up here so far...

MsProudSooner
4/13/2012, 06:02 PM
So much for Indian legends.....

StoopTroup
4/13/2012, 06:02 PM
What's the body cOUnt?

StoopTroup
4/13/2012, 06:04 PM
Saw the circulation go over my house in NE Norman...nice and rain-wrapped. Not much damage up here so far...

Wow...haven't seen you post in awhile. Hope everything is well with you and the HAWT Wife.

StoopTroup
4/13/2012, 06:06 PM
First time in memory a tornado actually touched down in Norman-proper. Supposedly in history.

Sucker came in fast and never blinked.

Some EF1 damage around the High School (NHS), Police Station and North Porter.

Was watching the Weather Channel and they were ready for Norman to be leveled. Glad it's superficial damage and that everyone is OK.

So will the Red n White Game and the Baseball Game be good to go tomorrow?

MsProudSooner
4/13/2012, 09:39 PM
Was watching the Weather Channel and they were ready for Norman to be leveled. Glad it's superficial damage and that everyone is OK.

So will the Red n White Game and the Baseball Game be good to go tomorrow?

OU's Facebook page says OU Big Event (?) has been postponed til Saturday, April 21. I don't know what that includes.

Here's an article about tomorrow's weather:

http://news.yahoo.com/forecasters-saturday-storms-life-threatening-190840695.html

olevetonahill
4/13/2012, 10:48 PM
Says its still on , But can be cancelled due to the weather

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/spring_game.html

cleller
4/14/2012, 09:31 AM
What is the deal with the storms hitting Norman all the time now? To complicate matters, anything that hits Norman usually heads straight NE and hits me.

Why can't Edmond, or better yet Stillwater take up some of the slack?

MamaMia
4/14/2012, 06:18 PM
Its very interesting here in Woodward.

Lott's Bandana
4/14/2012, 06:35 PM
http://newsok.com/weather/radarloopflash

This is a great site with little car icons you can click on and see live StormChaser streaming. I watched a lot of this yesterday.

Not SoonerStormChaser...the other kind.

StoopTroup
4/14/2012, 08:13 PM
As we were leaving the Memorial awhile ago a 40 mph wind cut through there from east to west and we had to stop so it wouldn't blow us off our feet. It might have gusted up higher than that.

StoopTroup
4/14/2012, 08:16 PM
Also saw some of the destruction over on Boyd. Those folks lost some trees and a bunch of property damage. This tree is behind the Rotary Club.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/2ac0e0ca.jpg

yankee
4/15/2012, 03:06 AM
Its very interesting here in Woodward.

Hope everything is ok your way. Woodward got hammered, you all are in my prayers.

Lott's Bandana
4/15/2012, 07:01 AM
I just watched a video of the Woodward tornado. No siren heard. Sad deal, that. Midnight tornados are much different from 4pm tornadoes, to Okies as well.

pphilfran
4/15/2012, 07:09 AM
I just watched a video of the Woodward tornado. No siren heard. Sad deal, that. Midnight tornados are much different from 4pm tornadoes, to Okies as well.

The Woodward Tornado of 9 April 1947
Photo damage produced in Woodward by the April 9, 1947 Tornado

The most deadly tornado to ever strike within the borders of the state of Oklahoma occurred on Wednesday, April 9, 1947 in the city of Woodward. The Woodward tornadic storm began in the Texas Panhandle during the afternoon of April 9, 1947, and produced at least six tornadoes along a 220 mile path that stretched from White Deer, TX (northeast of Amarillo) to St. Leo, KS (west of Wichita).

The tornado that would strike Woodward began near Canadian, TX. Moving northeast, it continued on the ground continuously for about 100 miles, ending in Woods County, Oklahoma, west of Alva. The tornado was massive, up to 1.8 miles wide, and traveled at forward speeds of about 50 miles per hour. It first struck Glazier and Higgins in the Texas Panhandle, devastating both towns and producing at least 69 fatalities in Texas before crossing into Oklahoma. In Ellis County, Oklahoma, the tornado did not strike any towns, passing to the southeast of Shattuck, Gage, and Fargo. Even though no towns were struck, nearly 60 farms and ranches were destroyed and 8 people were killed with 42 more injured. Moving into Woodward County, one death was reported near Tangier.

The violent tornado (F5 on the Fujita Scale) unleashed its worst destruction on Woodward, striking the city without warning at 8:42 pm. Over 100 city blocks on the west and north sides of the city were destroyed with lesser damage in the southeast portion of the town. Confusion and fires reigned in the aftermath with over 1000 homes and businesses destroyed, at least 107 people killed in and around Woodward, and nearly 1000 additional injuries. Normal communications between Woodward and the outside world were not restored for some time and there was great uncertainty as to victim status. In fact, the bodies of three children were never identified, and one child who survived the tornado was lost and never reunited with her family. Help for Woodward came from many places, including units from as far away as Oklahoma City and Wichita. Beyond Woodward, the tornado lost some intensity, but still destroyed 36 homes and injured 30 people in Woods County before ending.

In all, at least 116 lives were lost in Oklahoma on that fateful night. Never before or since has a tornado been so costly to human life in the Sooner State. Because of the Woodward tornado and other devastating tornadoes in the late 1940's and early 1950's, and because of new technologies available after World War II, the Weather Bureau (now the National Weather Service) began a tornado watch and warning program in 1953. During the last five decades, the warning system composed of the National Weather Service, local civil preparedness agencies, and the media has continued to mature and provide better and better information to citizens to help them protect themselves from tornadoes. Because of the strengths of the warning system, tornado death tolls in Oklahoma, and nationwide, have dropped considerably with each passing decade and, hopefully, will continue to decrease."

Now with Doppler radar coverage of Woodward from Norman, Dodge City, and an Air Force AFB NEXRAD located northwest of Enid in Alfalfa County...Woodward is better protected than it ever has been. Doppler radar technology has dramatically improved the warning process...and it is probable that a storm like the Woodward tornado of 1947 would be warned on well in advance by the National Weather Service.

MsProudSooner
4/15/2012, 12:45 PM

My trusty weather radio woke me up at about 5:45 this morning w/ a Tornado Warning in far northern Tulsa County. I turned on the TV and the weather man was saying, "If you live in Tulsa, your weather radio probably just woke you up!" Nothing but rain in my area.

From what I read, the Woodward tornado was moving about 60 mph - very fast moving and not very much warning. Even with a weather radio, it would be hard to take cover when the tornado is moving at 60 MPH and you are awoken from a sound sleep.

MamaMia
4/15/2012, 03:45 PM
We're alright; just shaken up a little bit. It missed us by about 12 blocks. There are 5 dead, with 2 being little children. Their families need our prayers. A little over a dozen families had no place to go when their homes were destroyed so we set up a shelter. They need our prayers. Others were able to move in with loved ones. We are a strong bunch here in Woodward and we stick together. We'll recover.

olevetonahill
4/15/2012, 06:14 PM
We're alright; just shaken up a little bit. It missed us by about 12 blocks. There are 5 dead, with 2 being little children. Their families need our prayers. A little over a dozen families had no place to go when their homes were destroyed so we set up a shelter. They need our prayers. Others were able to move in with loved ones. We are a strong bunch here in Woodward and we stick together. We'll recover.

So Mom , Good to hear yer Ok
Have ya heard from Martin?

rock on sooner
4/15/2012, 06:18 PM

God Bless...prayers your way...

StoopTroup
4/15/2012, 10:26 PM

Our Son fell asleep with the TV on last night. The national Weather Service Warning went off at 6 AM. My Wife flew out of bed and I don't think she touched the floor before she was in front of the TV making sure it wasn't an F6....

Prayers for Woodward.