PDA

View Full Version : .... Gundy a candidate for Arky job??

Ruf/Nek7
4/11/2012, 08:02 PM
Mike that is, not Cale. I have now heard from two different pokes that the piggies really want Gundy. I don't see it happening but who knows. Should be an interesting dev.elopment

badger
4/11/2012, 08:38 PM
OP not frothing rabidly about this yet... but till then, here's another interesting conversation that should make everyone laugh. (http://www.orangepower.com/threads/how-would-osu-do-in-the-sec.142651/)

Excerpts:

I would like to see OSU playing in the SEC.

OSU would have finished 2nd last year in the sec.

Regularly top half of the conference. We'd do better than Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Mizzou, and A&M regularly. We'd be about even with Georgia, Arkansas, and Florida regularly

Goodness, take a month's leave from Internet message boards and nothing changes :stunned:

picasso
4/11/2012, 08:53 PM
That would be a huge step up.

OUTrumpet
4/11/2012, 09:31 PM
OP not frothing rabidly about this yet... but till then, here's another interesting conversation that should make everyone laugh. (http://www.orangepower.com/threads/how-would-osu-do-in-the-sec.142651/)

Excerpts:

I would like to see OSU playing in the SEC.
OSU would have finished 2nd last year in the sec.
Regularly top half of the conference. We'd do better than Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Mizzou, and A&M regularly. We'd be about even with Georgia, Arkansas, and Florida regularly

Goodness, take a month's leave from Internet message boards and nothing changes :stunned:

When is the last time Okie St actually beat an SEC team in football?

badger
4/11/2012, 09:36 PM
When is the last time Okie St actually beat an SEC team in football?

Georgia the season before last at home I guess?

goingoneight
4/11/2012, 09:50 PM
Georgia 2009... and lost to Ole Pizz in the Cotton Bowl later that season. UGA was way down in 2009.

Frozen Sooner
4/11/2012, 09:58 PM
I don't see anything wrong with thinking they would have finished second in the SEC last year, considering they narrowly lost a shot at the national title last year. I think on a truly neutral field, their offense would have given Alabama fits, and that's after seeing Alabama's defense in person six or so times last year. They were a great defense, but you could scheme them.

Frozen Sooner
4/11/2012, 10:03 PM
Though it is funny that they think they'd "regularly" do better than Missouri and A&M, seeing as how they don't "regularly" do so now.

LVSOONER15
4/11/2012, 10:30 PM
Will Boone's money have any say if he really was thinking about it?

olevetonahill
4/11/2012, 10:42 PM
Gumby aint going anywhere

MeMyself&Me
4/11/2012, 10:55 PM
Mike that is, not Cale. I have now heard from two different pokes that the piggies really want Gundy. I don't see it happening but who knows. Should be an interesting dev.elopment

I actually heard someone mention this on national radio on Monday (can't remember who on what channel on what show though, sorry) that it would be a good move/fit for Arky. The context wasn't that they had heard someone talk about it or that it was possible... only that it made sense to the person making the statement. My bet is your two different pokes heard the same radio program I did (or were told about it by one of their friends) and the context was not relayed.

FWIW, take the stupid puke loyalty out of Gundy and I don't necessarily disagree with what was said though. If Gundy is actually mad about how the contract negotiations went down... maybe.

picasso
4/11/2012, 10:57 PM
I don't see anything wrong with thinking they would have finished second in the SEC last year, considering they narrowly lost a shot at the national title last year. I think on a truly neutral field, their offense would have given Alabama fits, and that's after seeing Alabama's defense in person six or so times last year. They were a great defense, but you could scheme them.
I think if you factor in that they lost to Iowa State and needed all the luck they could muster to beat k-state it's not impossible that they lose 3 games last year in the SEC. Weeden is a scatter brain much like Landry Jones and I have a feeling the top SEC defenses would have found a way to rattle him.

8timechamps
4/11/2012, 11:52 PM
I can't imagine Gundy ever leaving OSU (voluntarily). However, things change and you never know.

As Frozen said earlier, what makes what the pukes said funny is the "regularly" comment. Poke fans went from 0 to 100 on the outlook meter in just over a year. It's going to make it that much sweeter when they are slapped back down to reality.

LASooner
4/12/2012, 12:44 AM
I just don't see that happening, I think the NFL or a BIG job in the NCAA would be the only things that might draw him away. Arkansas seems lateral, unless he covets the SEC as much as the media.

StoopTroup
4/12/2012, 01:47 AM

Thing is if they could have landed a spot for the BCS Title Game it wouldn't have been against Alabama. As I remember LSU was #1 and if The Pokes were going to make the Title Game they would have played LSU I think. At least that's how I remembered them clamouring about how they got screwed out of a Title Shot.

StoopTroup
4/12/2012, 01:52 AM
I just don't see that happening, I think the NFL or a BIG job in the NCAA would be the only things that might draw him away. Arkansas seems lateral, unless he covets the SEC as much as the media.

I tend to agree with you that he's loyal to the Agroid's even though I think if he goes less than .500 this year...they will turn on him like he's never Coached a game there. IMO he should do just like Les Smiles did and ditch that chithole for a decent Coaching Job instead of continue to try and create a miracle in Stoolwater again.

cleller
4/12/2012, 07:38 AM
Boone won't let Gundy leave. He runs the show.

MeMyself&Me
4/12/2012, 08:18 AM
Boone won't let Gundy leave. He runs the show.

I get the impression that Boone doesn't think Gundy is that important.

Frozen Sooner
4/12/2012, 09:24 AM
Thing is if they could have landed a spot for the BCS Title Game it wouldn't have been against Alabama. As I remember LSU was #1 and if The Pokes were going to make the Title Game they would have played LSU I think. At least that's how I remembered them clamouring about how they got screwed out of a Title Shot.

Alabama had a better defense than LSU.

Frozen Sooner
4/12/2012, 09:26 AM
I think if you factor in that they lost to Iowa State and needed all the luck they could muster to beat k-state it's not impossible that they lose 3 games last year in the SEC. Weeden is a scatter brain much like Landry Jones and I have a feeling the top SEC defenses would have found a way to rattle him.

:shrug: I'm just saying it's not completely ridiculous to think a team that beat a good Stanford team in the Fiesta Bowl, won the Big 12, finished the year ranked #3, and narrowly missed the national title game coud finish #2 in the SEC. Or are we now buying the hype?

Curly Bill
4/12/2012, 09:37 AM
:shrug: I'm just saying it's not completely ridiculous to think a team that beat a good Stanford team in the Fiesta Bowl, won the Big 12, finished the year ranked #3, and narrowly missed the national title game coud finish #2 in the SEC. Or are we now buying the hype?

I think it's more a matter of a lot of Sooner fans, at least those that post on here, will go out of their way to downplay anything OSU does.

Frozen Sooner
4/12/2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I know. Just pointing out that we can't have it both ways.

Curly Bill
4/12/2012, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I know. Just pointing out that we can't have it both ways.

But see that's thinking in a rational manner, and that's not really encouraged in fandom.

PLaw
4/12/2012, 01:21 PM

By BIG, you mean when Bob retires?

BOOMER

picasso
4/12/2012, 01:25 PM
Did the '11 Pokes have a better offense than we did in '08?

Sure they would have scored on Bama but I highly doubt they win the battle in the trenches.

StoopTroup
4/12/2012, 03:17 PM
I think it's more a matter of a lot of Sooner fans, at least those that post on here, will go out of their way to downplay anything OSU does.

I don't think anyone really downplayed their loss to ISU or the fact that if Stanford's Freshman kicker had made that FG that they would have also lost their bowl game like they did the ISU Game. Everyone gets lucky every now and then. Bama was lucky oSu lost that ISU Game or the BCS National Championship would have been LSU vs oSu. Soonerfans wouldn't have gotten their hopes up of another Big XII Championship by winning that Game in stoolwater if oSu had won the ISU Game.

I think LSU would have cleaned oSu's clock.

The BCS did the right thing and put Bama in the Title Game and oSu showed that if they play hard they can make good on a Stanford choke to pull out their 1st BCS Bowl Game win in School History just like they pulled off their 1st Big XII Conference Championship.

If you think they should get something more from us maybe you ought to go over to their board and get rational with them.

StoopTroup
4/12/2012, 03:23 PM

Sure they would have scored on Bama but I highly doubt they win the battle in the trenches.

I agree they would have gotten smoked by Bama had Bama not lost to LSU in the regular Season. They were a solid team last year.

LASooner
4/12/2012, 03:40 PM
By BIG, you mean when Bob retires?

BOOMER

Certainly. If these schools maintain their current success levels, Nobody but a Cowboy fan would sweat him for taking a job at an Oklahoma, Alabama, USC or LSU. And to some extent traditional powers not currently lighting it up, ie. Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska. That said, I can't see him leaving OSU for OU. Can you imagine the Aggie uproar at that? And then they would try to take credit for any OU success. Dogs and Cats living together, mass hysteria!

8timechamps
4/12/2012, 05:32 PM

Maybe it's my crimson glasses, but I think the Big XII elite were not up to par last year, and that helped OSU tremendously. OSU also beat a good Stanford team, but I don't want to confuse that with beating an elite team. I watched Stanford play a lot last year, and there is no question that Luck was a once-in-a-lifetime player, but he didn't have a ton of talent surrounding him. In other words, I don't give OSU extra credit for beating Stanford.

Now, what I will give them credit for is having the best team they've ever had. I also give them credit for being one of the top 5 best teams in the country. Do I think they would have finished #2 in the SEC? I can live with that. I don't think they beat Bama, but they would've had a legitimate shot at taking down LSU.

Now, if the season will hurry up and get here, we can talk about stuff like which coach needs to be fired. :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/12/2012, 06:43 PM
First of all, I believe LSU would have destroyed OsU. LSU was designed to have 4 or 5 or even 6 defensive backs on the field. However, Alabama isn't designed to get spread wide. They get in their 3-4 and try to muscle you with exotic blitz packages. Alabama would have had a lot of trouble stopping OsU's offense. Alabama has 2 really good corners and 2 average cornerbacks. LSU has two Ellite Cornerbacks, 2 Great Cornerbacks, and 2 really good cornerbacks

BoulderSooner79
4/12/2012, 07:22 PM
Could Gundy handle a motorcycle? A 25yo hottie? A motorcycle with a 25yo hottie passenger?

SoonerMarkVA
4/12/2012, 07:50 PM
This would be a good move for Gundy. But he won't do it.

Mazeppa
4/12/2012, 09:23 PM
Gundy Boss Hog

http://i43.tinypic.com/rumpol.jpg

sooneredaco
4/12/2012, 09:28 PM
He should do it! The coeds are super loose there!

StoopTroup
4/13/2012, 11:35 AM
Gundy Boss Hog

http://i43.tinypic.com/rumpol.jpg

Heh. He's finally turning whatever he had going into a sunburn which is closer to a tan than that orange nuclear radiation glow he's had. LMAO

StoopTroup
4/13/2012, 11:37 AM
He should do it! The coeds are super loose there!

Even the ones with all their teeth? :D

Curly Bill
4/13/2012, 11:49 AM
I don't think anyone really downplayed their loss to ISU or the fact that if Stanford's Freshman kicker had made that FG that they would have also lost their bowl game like they did the ISU Game. Everyone gets lucky every now and then. Bama was lucky oSu lost that ISU Game or the BCS National Championship would have been LSU vs oSu. Soonerfans wouldn't have gotten their hopes up of another Big XII Championship by winning that Game in stoolwater if oSu had won the ISU Game.

I think LSU would have cleaned oSu's clock.

The BCS did the right thing and put Bama in the Title Game and oSu showed that if they play hard they can make good on a Stanford choke to pull out their 1st BCS Bowl Game win in School History just like they pulled off their 1st Big XII Conference Championship.

If you think they should get something more from us maybe you ought to go over to their board and get rational with them.

Oh boy! The old: you should go to their board and post line. What are we 12 years old?

..and you're hardly the one who should be using the term rational in any context. Just sayin...

Curly Bill
4/13/2012, 11:50 AM
Maybe it's my crimson glasses, but I think the Big XII elite were not up to par last year, and that helped OSU tremendously. OSU also beat a good Stanford team, but I don't want to confuse that with beating an elite team. I watched Stanford play a lot last year, and there is no question that Luck was a once-in-a-lifetime player, but he didn't have a ton of talent surrounding him. In other words, I don't give OSU extra credit for beating Stanford.

Now, what I will give them credit for is having the best team they've ever had. I also give them credit for being one of the top 5 best teams in the country. Do I think they would have finished #2 in the SEC? I can live with that. I don't think they beat Bama, but they would've had a legitimate shot at taking down LSU.

Now, if the season will hurry up and get here, we can talk about stuff like which coach needs to be fired. :D

Well, at least you didn't suggest I go post on another board! That's very grown-up of you! ;)

SoonerNomad
4/13/2012, 12:33 PM
Didn't Georgia "technically" finish second in the SEC when they lost the conference title game? I still think LSU and Alabama should have had to play in the conference title game before determining they both should be in the national title game. 2011 OSU was better than Georgia.

Hard to argue that a team that finished third in the country couldn't possibly have finished second in the SEC. OSU was the real deal last year. Very much on a level with Arkansas that everyone considers the third best team in the SEC last year and it would have been fun to see them matched up against one of those great defenses (although I would have been forced to be rooting for the SEC if that had happened). I don't think they would have won, but reasonable for an OSU fan to think they were good enough.

t will be interesting to see if they can become the type of program that stays at that level year in and year out. I don't think so, but I didn't think they would win the Big 12 a year ago. Here's to a return to normal in 2012.

4/14/2012, 07:00 AM
I agree with froze.

DETOOKERJERBS!!!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/14/2012, 02:09 PM

Sure they would have scored on Bama but I highly doubt they win the battle in the trenches.orange aggy defense last yr was almost nonexistent. Bammer or Tigahbaits woulda clobbered them. They REMAIN delusional.

Sabanball
4/14/2012, 02:41 PM
The Arkansas job would be an upward move and career progression on a resume, but I think he stays at OSU.

LVSOONER15
4/14/2012, 03:46 PM
The Arkansas job would be an upward move and career progression on a resume, but I think he stays at OSU.

Exactly what I think as well.

SoonerMom2
4/14/2012, 05:45 PM
Can we lose the Congratulations to OSU on the front page? This is a Soonerfan message board and find it annoying.

yukonsooner
4/14/2012, 06:13 PM
Can we lose the Congratulations to OSU on the front page? This is a Soonerfan message board and find it annoying.

Totally agree.

StoopTroup
4/14/2012, 08:33 PM
So you all are gonna finally start an Anti-Aggie Crusade on this board based on "It's annoying"?

This I gotta see.

Ruf/Nek7
4/14/2012, 09:23 PM
The only reason I could actually see gundy leave for Arky, is because they are more primed for a run to the ship than osu. I think this last year will be the closest gundy and the cow pokes will EVER get to the National Championship....IMO

Peeb
4/15/2012, 07:19 AM
Not sure if lateral or upward, but I agree.

Stay in B12 and contend with OU and ut, or go to sec and fight bama and lsu.

Tough sledding either way.

MeMyself&Me
4/15/2012, 08:43 AM

Stay in B12 and contend with OU and ut, or go to sec and fight bama and lsu.

Tough sledding either way.

Aside from the fact that he'd be coaching at the premier program of the state at Arky, not so at OSU, Arky also has better tradition than OSU. It's a step up and it's not even close.

Not saying he'd go though. He's was puke brainwashed 25 years or so ago.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/15/2012, 12:11 PM
Can we lose the Congratulations to OSU on the front page? This is a Soonerfan message board and find it annoying.Some folks forget just HOW MUCH lots of orange aggy fans hate OU, and don't even admit they're from the Sooner State!

Sabanball
4/15/2012, 07:44 PM
Save one heisman winner and last season, what tradition does OSU have in football? Wrestling-yes--Football--no. Okie State is 10 games over .500 ALL-TIME in on the field competition. The Arkansas job would be a huge step up--and it's really not even debatable. Bigger venue, bigger fan base, THE state school, tradition with Frank Broyles, etc...The question is does he want to reach the pinnacle of his profession or spend out his days being the favorite son at a johnny- come- lately program that's won one conference championship in the last 40 yrs, and that will always be second fiddle to another in-state program?

Eielson
4/15/2012, 08:02 PM
If I were Gundy, I'd stay at OSU. Arkansas is NOT the pinnacle of his profession. They haven't won a conference championship since '89 (2 in the last 40 years...so 1 doesn't look so bad now, especially since it was recent). With recent changes in the conference, OSU could easily establish themselves as one of the perennial conference powers...and it's home. It would take a much bigger upgrade to pull me from home.

SoonerorLater
4/15/2012, 08:17 PM
Save one heisman winner and last season, what tradition does OSU have in football? Wrestling-yes--Football--no. Okie State is 10 games over .500 ALL-TIME in on the field competition. The Arkansas job would be a huge step up--and it's really not even debatable. Bigger venue, bigger fan base, THE state school, tradition with Frank Broyles, etc...The question is does he want to reach the pinnacle of his profession or spend out his days being the favorite son at a johnny- come- lately program that's won one conference championship in the last 40 yrs, and that will always be second fiddle to another in-state program?

I have to agree with your premise though I don't think Arkansas is the "pinnacle". Since joining the SEC Arkansas has been an average football program. 11 winning seasons in 20 years. Gundy should consider moving because when all is said and done he serves at the pleasure of defacto team owner T Boone Pickens. Not the kind of position you want to find yourself in.

AlboSooner
4/15/2012, 10:45 PM
Gumby is not gonna leave his New York Hillbilly Yankee job.

EnragedOUfan
4/16/2012, 09:21 AM
Gundy would be a fool to leave for Arkansas..........He has built OSU into what it is today. He's a solid football coach, he makes a crap ton of money, has job security, is from Oklahoma, and knows the area. Why would he leave OSU just to go to Arkansas where the pressure would probably be 10 times as higher? He d@mn near led the Pokes to the national championship last year for crying out loud. OSU is known for their offense and they've been pretty consistent in maintaining a dominant offense over the past decade

I don't like em, but OSU is a solid program and Gundy is responsible for this. For him to leave and go to Arkansas would be stupid. When your getting paid that much money to coach where you love, why leave?

Same thing with Stoops, why the hell would he just up pack and leave for the NFL or Notre Dame when he's returned OU to the glory days and lives in newly built palace?

texaspokieokie
4/16/2012, 11:10 AM
Gumby is not gonna leave his New York Hillbilly Yankee job.What does that mean ???

yermom
4/16/2012, 11:36 AM

what are the odds of him doing better at Arkansas than he is doing now at OSU?

he's built OSU from nothing to where they are now with his players after cleaning up after Les (i think he kicked off half the team in 2005)

not that i'm a big OSU fan or anything, but Arkansas isn't exactly a powerhouse all of the time. if i was going to leave my alma mater that happens to be coming off their best season ever, it wouldn't be for a middle of the pack SEC team. it's not Notre Dame or Michigan or something.

he is going to have a pretty long leash at OSU for a while. if he goes somewhere else, they are going to want results right now. seems like a big risk for little reward.

Breadburner
4/16/2012, 01:20 PM
He's not a candidate for anything....!

OULenexaman
4/16/2012, 01:28 PM
Can we lose the Congratulations to OSU on the front page? This is a Soonerfan message board and find it annoying. Got my vote......been up long enough now......time to move on.

picasso
4/16/2012, 01:53 PM

Heh.

SoonerSpock
4/19/2012, 02:03 AM
Will Boone's money have any say if he really was thinking about it?

All Arkansas' interest in Mike Gundy can accomplish is another contract for Mike with more money in his coffers.

Sabanball
4/19/2012, 02:47 AM
Guys,

You're not understanding my post correctly. I'm not saying Arkie is the mountaintop(get real), but if...IF he wants to advance in his profession, he's got to get out of Stillwater. Like it or not, but Arkansas is a step up from Okie State, and he would be a good fit because of his philosophy on O. Do I think he would take it? No. Do I think he could be successful there and in the SEC? YES.

LASooner
4/19/2012, 03:25 PM
You saying Arkansas is a step up, and me saying it's completely lateral are both subjective statements, let's not state it as fact.

Sabanball
4/20/2012, 06:09 PM
Word out of hog land is that Jeff Long may go the iterim coach route BUT from OUTSIDE the program.

Eielson
4/21/2012, 12:48 PM
If Gundy performs like he has been the last couple years for another couple years, he'll be considered for any major job opening in college football. He's doing this in the Big XII, and it really doesn't matter that the town he works in smells like cow manure. Arkansas would be a lateral move AT BEST for him.