PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the term "Okie'

jkjsooner
4/9/2012, 02:55 PM
Reading the Merle Haggard thread got me to thinking about this. What's your opinion of the term "Okie"?

C&CDean
4/9/2012, 03:03 PM
Well as long as you're an Okie and you say "Okka" instead of Okie when you be layin' down your rap flow then it's all good.

8timechamps
4/9/2012, 03:05 PM
Fine by me. I'm an Okie, and proud of it. I don't think I've ever heard it used in a negative context. There are too many other things used nowadays.

picasso
4/9/2012, 03:19 PM
Hate it. I attended John MacLeod's basketball camp in Arizona in '84 and all the west coast kids called me Okie. They even used it on the kid from Joplin. Heh.

OUDoc
4/9/2012, 03:20 PM
Sounds redneck. I don't really like it but I don't really care either way.

oudanny
4/9/2012, 03:29 PM
Depends.

Jammin'
4/9/2012, 03:31 PM
I hate when they call OSU "Okie State", just sounds like they are trying to make oklahoman's seem dumb.

8timechamps
4/9/2012, 03:36 PM

Wait, so "redneck" is a negative? :P

8timechamps
4/9/2012, 03:40 PM

Wait, so "redneck" is a negative? :P

soonerhubs
4/9/2012, 04:02 PM
Well as long as you're an Okie and you say "Okka" instead of Okie when you be layin' down your rap flow then it's all good. That's the funniest damn thing I've read in some time! :D

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2012, 04:19 PM
I couldn't care less if someone calls me an Okie. What's the alternative? Oklahoman?

olevetonahill
4/9/2012, 04:21 PM
Much like the Blacks can call each other ******s and No one else can
I say Only Okies can call each other Okies . and the rest need to STFU with their name callin

stoops the eternal pimp
4/9/2012, 04:40 PM
I don't care...You can call me about whatever you want though..Doesn't matter

stoopified
4/9/2012, 04:53 PM
This is the Sooner state and I am a Sooner,Okies are Oklahomans who left the state.

8timechamps
4/9/2012, 05:06 PM
This is the Sooner state and I am a Sooner,Okies are Oklahomans who left the state.

That's actually a good point (who know you had it in you? :D ). Maybe it's because I don't live in OK anymore.

hawaii 5-0
4/9/2012, 06:02 PM

Actually the Sooners weren't from Oklahoma.

They snuck in before they were s'posed to.

The Sooners came from Kansas, Texass, Missouri, etc.

I'm an Okie and proud of it.

5-0

cleller
4/9/2012, 06:36 PM
Its one of those "in the family" things. Around here, I'm and Okie, you're an Okie, wouldn't you like to be an Okie, too?

Out in California, its pure put-down. Still.

C&CDean
4/9/2012, 06:46 PM
Hell, in my house "crackhead" is a term of endearment. How the hell could I get upset about somebody calling us Okies?

I Am Right
4/9/2012, 07:02 PM
I hate when they call OSU "Okie State", just sounds like they are trying to make oklahoman's seem dumb.

Brahahaha!

hawaii 5-0
4/9/2012, 07:05 PM
Its one of those "in the family" things. Around here, I'm and Okie, you're an Okie, wouldn't you like to be an Okie, too?

Out in California, its pure put-down. Still.

Agreed. In Hawaii if I meet a Cali and they hear I'm from Oklahoma I usually get a put-down look. They're still pissed about the Okie Migration.

5-0

Turd_Ferguson
4/9/2012, 07:32 PM
Agreed. In Hawaii if I meet a Cali and they hear I'm from Oklahoma I usually get a put-down look. They're still pissed about the Okie Migration.

5-0I don't think the put down look has anything to do with being from Oklahoma...:D

StoopTroup
4/9/2012, 09:04 PM
What is Seiko spelled backwards?

http://www.philipeswatches.com/images/se/sendw_8.jpg

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2012, 09:29 PM
How long do you have to live in a place before you can say you're "from" there? I was born in Florida, but we moved to Oklahoma when I was 1 and lived/grew up in the same place until I left for Baylor. I would say I'm "from" Oklahoma, but I wasn't born here.

jkjsooner
4/10/2012, 10:22 AM

5-0

I wonder what percent of those Californians either lived or had all of their ancestors living in California before the migration. I'd bet it's pretty small.

Probably a lot more of them are "Okies" than they want to believe.

Curly Bill
4/10/2012, 10:26 AM
Why does anyone get worked up over what some other moran calls them?

olevetonahill
4/10/2012, 10:33 AM
Why does anyone get worked up over what some other moran calls them?
What Ima Thinkin .
Hell If Okie is the worst thing Im ever called again . Ill die a Happy man.

Curly Bill
4/10/2012, 10:34 AM
What Ima Thinkin .
Hell If Okie is the worst thing Im ever called again . Ill die a Happy man.

Werd!

picasso
4/10/2012, 02:52 PM
I couldn't care less if someone calls me an Okie. What's the alternative? Oklahoman?
Ever hear anyone from California called a Cali?

I have relatives who moved out to Oakland during the grapes of wrath days and the Okie that they were called was not a nice thing to hear. They were treated like ****.

texaspokieokie
4/10/2012, 05:49 PM
a person from OK is an Okie. it's that simple.
I lived in CA for 8 years & was NEVER bothered by anyone calling me Okie.
In TX it's a common term. I was born & raised in Okmulgee thus Im an Okie. Proud of it & wouldn't wanta be called anything else.

Jacie
4/10/2012, 06:02 PM
I was born & raised in Okmulgee thus Im an Okie. Proud of it & wouldn't wanta be called anything else.

I guess you are kind of a double Okie or maybe an Okie squared . . .

BajaOklahoma
4/10/2012, 06:05 PM
OKIE: Oklahoma, Key to Industry and Enterprise.

It's a family thing. Another Oklahoman can say it to me and I am okay with it. But idiots from texas and california use it as an insult.

jumperstop
4/10/2012, 07:30 PM
Like most people on here have said it doesn't bother me. I've never called myself that, but if someone said I was an 'Okie' it's not going to **** me off. If someone says it to me as an insult though, I'd make sure to tell them off...

picasso
4/10/2012, 10:19 PM
a person from OK is an Okie. it's that simple.
I lived in CA for 8 years & was NEVER bothered by anyone calling me Okie.
In TX it's a common term. I was born & raised in Okmulgee thus Im an Okie. Proud of it & wouldn't wanta be called anything else.
It still has a stigma attached to it from the days of the mass exodus westward. That's my only point. You weren't bothered by the term because you weren't out there half a century ago.

StoopTroup
4/10/2012, 11:08 PM
It still has a stigma attached to it from the days of the mass exodus westward. That's my only point. You weren't bothered by the term because you weren't out there half a century ago.

I just tell them I'm from Tulsa and it seems to help avoid being called a dumb Okie.

hawaii 5-0
4/11/2012, 01:27 AM
I just tell them I'm from Tulsa and it seems to help avoid being called a dumb Okie.

Yep, those Tulsa Okies are smarter than the OKC Okies.

Then there's those hicks from the sticks.

5-0

Okla-homey
4/11/2012, 06:08 AM

My grandparents went to LA during the depression. They were called "Okies" out there. After things got better here, they came back. All that said, they always referred to themselves as "Okies." I have no problem with the term.

olevetonahill
4/11/2012, 06:26 AM
Just dont call me "Tex"

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 07:30 AM
Just dont call me "Tex"

How bout we just call ya a F-ing hillbilly?

olevetonahill
4/11/2012, 07:40 AM
How bout we just call ya a F-ing hillbilly?

That be OK

texaspokieokie
4/11/2012, 07:50 AM
It still has a stigma attached to it from the days of the mass exodus westward. That's my only point. You weren't bothered by the term because you weren't out there half a century ago.Actually, i was there almost 50 yrs ago. Lived there from 63 to 71. also spent the summer of 56 in the desert.
It only bothers you if you are so sensitive as to let it.

picasso
4/11/2012, 07:51 AM
My grandparents went to LA during the depression. They were called "Okies" out there. After things got better here, they came back. All that said, they always referred to themselves as "Okies." I have no problem with the term.
Oooook, Okie.

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 07:51 AM
Actually, i was there almost 50 yrs ago. Lived there from 63 to 71. also spent the summer of 56 in the desert.
It only bothers you if you are so sensitive as to let it.

This. Who gives a flying rip what some other dumas calls ya?

texaspokieokie
4/11/2012, 08:28 AM
This. Who gives a flying rip what some other dumas calls ya?That's kinda my point.
Especially if he calls you what you are.

texaspokieokie
4/11/2012, 08:31 AM
When i lived in CA, most everyone out there was from someplace else.
Probly not so much, now.

i knew one girl (not Hispanic) who was very proud to be a 5th generation Californian.

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 08:31 AM
That's kinda my point.
Especially if he calls you what you are.

Kinda like when someone calls Vet a F-ing hillbilly!!

texaspokieokie
4/11/2012, 08:32 AM
Kinda like when someone calls Vet a F-ing hillbilly!!you nailed it !!!!

Chuck Bao
4/11/2012, 01:42 PM
I call myself an Okie and I don't mind one bit if anyone else calls me that. I'm very proud to be from Oklahoma.

But I take exception to being called a yank. The British, in particular, like referring to all Americans as yanks.

Last weekend, I explained to my Thai, German, British, Portuguese friends at a party in the jungle near the Burma border about the proper identification of US hillbillies and rednecks. I'm not sure if my definitions hold water, though. I once referred to my county in Oklahoma on facebook as redneck country and I was quickly corrected that we are cowboys. I had always assumed that to be a cowboy, you need to own some cows (I don't).

I may be too literal and let history/geography define what shouldn't be so easily defined. Maybe, it is all about the state of mind. I told the Germans from Hamburg that they could be honorary Okie rednecks.

C&CDean
4/11/2012, 03:19 PM
Y'all were smoking something out there in that jungle huh?

olevetonahill
4/11/2012, 03:26 PM
Thot ya was talkin to Me there fer a minute :unconscious:

C&CDean
4/11/2012, 03:31 PM
Well if the hash pipe fits, light it up...

olevetonahill
4/11/2012, 03:34 PM
Well if the hash pipe fits, light it up...
It were O then .
Hash was in Germany

Chuck Bao
4/11/2012, 03:51 PM

No!!! There is something much, much worse than smoking some weed. It is called karaoke. There are girls, Okies, rednecks, hillbillies, Thais, all nations really, who will dance on tables and strip off bras, underwear for guys who can sing. Maybe that is misbehaving and low class. But, it is also just good clean fun.

StoopTroup
4/12/2012, 01:31 AM
I call myself an Okie and I don't mind one bit if anyone else calls me that. I'm very proud to be from Oklahoma.

But I take exception to being called a yank. The British, in particular, like referring to all Americans as yanks.

Last weekend, I explained to my Thai, German, British, Portuguese friends at a party in the jungle near the Burma border about the proper identification of US hillbillies and rednecks. I'm not sure if my definitions hold water, though. I once referred to my county in Oklahoma on facebook as redneck country and I was quickly corrected that we are cowboys. I had always assumed that to be a cowboy, you need to own some cows (I don't).

I may be too literal and let history/geography define what shouldn't be so easily defined. Maybe, it is all about the state of mind. I told the Germans from Hamburg that they could be honorary Okie rednecks.

Ahhhh...you must have run into the Rednex in Germany....LMAO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDdlHmzIdn8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

stoopified
4/13/2012, 07:01 PM
Actually the Sooners weren't from Oklahoma.

They snuck in before they were s'posed to.

The Sooners came from Kansas, Texass, Missouri, etc.

I'm an Okie and proud of it.

5-0Excuse me but Sooners are from Oklahoma .All those settlers may have come from other states but they didn't become Sooners until they snuck into Oklahoma SOONER than they were supposed to.Once they staked their claims they were Oklahomans and Sooners.

Okla-homey
4/15/2012, 05:54 AM
When i lived in CA, most everyone out there was from someplace else.
Probly not so much, now.

i knew one girl (not Hispanic) who was very proud to be a 5th generation Californian.

But for Okies and Arkies, there wouldn't be any Americans in Cali. ;^)

MamaMia
4/15/2012, 06:11 PM

5-0At least the Oklahomans are tax paying citizens. Thats more than I call say for all the illegals they're harboring at our expense.

StoopTroup
4/15/2012, 10:39 PM
At least the Oklahomans are tax paying citizens. Thats more than I call say for all the illegals they're harboring at our expense.

Heh...

http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/Oklahoma/ok2002muscogeelowno.jpg

http://www.gtrnews.com/images/2704.jpg

StoopTroup
4/15/2012, 10:42 PM
Maybe this thread ought to get moved to OBAMAMANIA if we're gonna talk taxes and Illegals

http://www.internetweekly.org/images/palin_glass_house.jpg

Cheerin' 4 OU
4/15/2012, 11:03 PM
I'm with Chuck - I don't mind being called an Okie. For me, it's a huge badge of honor to say that I'm an Okie. I have a friend from Abilene who loved being called "Tex", but had one from Lubbock that would fly into a rage if you called him "Tex".

It aggravates the holy crap out of me to be called a "yank" though. I don't live in the United States of Yankadootchie, so to use the term yank just annoys me to no end. I'm an American and an Okie, not a Yank.

SicEmBaylor
4/16/2012, 12:45 AM
I'm with Chuck - I don't mind being called an Okie. For me, it's a huge badge of honor to say that I'm an Okie. I have a friend from Abilene who loved being called "Tex", but had one from Lubbock that would fly into a rage if you called him "Tex".

It aggravates the holy crap out of me to be called a "yank" though. I don't live in the United States of Yankadootchie, so to use the term yank just annoys me to no end. I'm an American and an Okie, not a Yank.
I will rip out a person's throat with my teeth for calling me a "yank."

hawaii 5-0
4/16/2012, 02:12 PM
When growing up there was a sign on the city limits...........Biggest Town in Little Dixie.

Actually it never was a big town.

5-0

soonerbrat
4/16/2012, 02:31 PM

that's why I call it "Pokie State"

Tulsa_Fireman
4/16/2012, 04:31 PM
That's why I call it "sh*t".