PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace has passed

StoopTroup
4/8/2012, 11:21 PM
Watched his reports for years. He was one of the Old School Guys.

RIP Mike.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-wallace-analysis-20120409,0,255378.story

SanJoaquinSooner
4/9/2012, 12:07 AM
He brought big nails and the hammer.

StoopTroup
4/9/2012, 01:37 AM
I liked it when executives would run from him to get to their cars.

diverdog
4/9/2012, 06:08 AM
I liked it when executives would run from him to get to their cars.

Yep. You knew when he showed up the other dude was screwed.

olevetonahill
4/9/2012, 06:26 AM
Sounds like he was an Obama lover

Curly Bill
4/9/2012, 07:31 AM
Sounds like he was an Obama lover

Seems like they're the only ones lamenting his passing. LOL

olevetonahill
4/9/2012, 07:45 AM
Seems like they're the only ones lamenting his passing. LOL

LMFAO

StoopTroup
4/9/2012, 08:51 PM
Politically, Wallace considered himself a moderate. Wallace was friends with Nancy Reagan and her family for over 75 years. Nixon wanted him for his press secretary.

sooneron
4/10/2012, 08:43 PM
Please, no facts Stoop. They just cloud the partisan rhetoric.

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 07:34 AM
Please, no facts Stoop. They just cloud the partisan rhetoric.

You know the definition of fact right? I could consider myself the greatest human in history - that doesn't make it fact. So.. Wallace considered himself a moderate - that doesn't make that fact either.

hawaii 5-0
4/11/2012, 10:52 AM
Neither does calling someone a Lib or Con.

"The Left ones think I Right, the Right ones think I'm wrong." .....LR

I've got real liberal friends that think I'm too conservative. I've also got very Conservative friends (Santorum devotees) who claim I'm lefty. (compared to them, hell yeah.)

I've been a Moderate for about 30 years now. The older I get the more my position slides to the Right.

5-0

jkjsooner
4/11/2012, 10:58 AM
You know the definition of fact right? I could consider myself the greatest human in history - that doesn't make it fact. So.. Wallace considered himself a moderate - that doesn't make that fact either.

If he considers himself a moderate then it is a fact that he considers himself a moderate.

If he was friends with the Reagans then it is a fact that he was friends with the Reagans.

If Nixon wanted him as press secretary then it is a fact that Nixon wanted him as a press secretary.

I'm not saying I know whether any of these are factual but none of these are opinions either. If he would have said that "Wallace was a moderate" then that would have been an opinion. He didn't say that.

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 11:45 AM
If he considers himself a moderate then it is a fact that he considers himself a moderate.

If he was friends with the Reagans then it is a fact that he was friends with the Reagans.

If Nixon wanted him as press secretary then it is a fact that Nixon wanted him as a press secretary.

I'm not saying I know whether any of these are factual but none of these are opinions either. If he would have said that "Wallace was a moderate" then that would have been an opinion. He didn't say that.

Are you on the same stuff ST is?

Turd_Ferguson
4/11/2012, 12:03 PM
I thought he was a pretty good guy. I like his son as well.

Turd_Ferguson
4/11/2012, 12:05 PM
Are you on the same stuff ST is?lmao!

jkjsooner
4/11/2012, 12:35 PM
Are you on the same stuff ST is?

No, I just happen to know the difference between a fact and an opinion. You're the one who jumped in with a snotty post about facts vs opinions and you were 100% incorrect.

I guess you can't admit you were wrong so you result to the old "must be on drugs" line.

Edit: The only statement (whether true or false) from Stoop's post that could remotely be considered an opinion was the statement about being friends with Nancy Reagan's family. I suppose that depends on your opinion of what constitutes friendship but I'd say if Wallace considered them a friend and they considered Wallace as a friend then that would meet almost everyone's definition of friendship and calling them friends would be as close of a fact as you can get.

Again, not vouching for the veracity of Stoops' claims. Just saying you should think before stating that his claims were opinions. They were not.

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 12:40 PM
No, I just happen to know what is a fact and what is an opinion. You're the one who jumped in with a snotty post about facts vs opinions and you were 100% incorrect.

I guess you can't admit you were wrong so you result to the old "must be on drugs" line.

Hey, don't get sensitive, I didn't call you out for being on drugs. It's your life, do what you want.

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 12:45 PM
No, I just happen to know what is a fact and what is an opinion. You're the one who jumped in with a snotty post about facts vs opinions and you were 100% incorrect.

...and since we're playing internet police you should have said "resort to" and not "result to." You're welcome.

jkjsooner
4/11/2012, 12:53 PM
...and since we're playing internet police you should have said "resort to" and not "result to." You're welcome.

True. Not sure why I wrote that. I make plenty of mistakes but that isn't one that I would normally make.

As for the Internet police, when you start it with the old facts/opinions argument you can't really call me the Internet police for stating that you were wrong.

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 01:07 PM
True. Not sure why I wrote that. I make plenty of mistakes but that isn't one that I would normally make.

As for the Internet police, when you start it with the old facts/opinions argument you can't really call me the Internet police for stating that you were wrong.

Unless you actually are the internet police I can pretty much do what I want. Right?

...and yeah, I'm sure Mike Wallace considered himself a moderate, most of our board libs also do that.

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 01:08 PM
...anyway, arguing on the innerwebs is fun! There really aren't a lot of rules.

olevetonahill
4/11/2012, 02:16 PM
Wikipedia = Facts?
Just like Bleacher report= Fine sports coverage

XingTheRubicon
4/11/2012, 03:07 PM
Just for the resort...I mean record, is anyone a liberal?

Even LAS called himself a republican. There are posters on this board that argue the left side 99.9% of the time and won't admit to being a liberal.

...................................I'm a conservative.

How come people can type that ^^^ but liberals can't admit to being a liberal...

XingTheRubicon
4/11/2012, 03:09 PM
oh, and RIP Mike...

always loved watching him scare the **** out of people

picasso
4/11/2012, 08:59 PM
I had no idea that Chris Wallace was his son.

hawaii 5-0
4/11/2012, 10:08 PM

Even LAS called himself a republican. There are posters on this board that argue the left side 99.9% of the time and won't admit to being a liberal.

How come people can type that ^^^ but liberals can't admit to being a liberal...

It's more fun jerking Conservative's chains.

I've not followed the Lib/Conserv line 100% since high school when I considered myself a Conservative. I've gone the other direction and now am somewhere in the middle.

It depends on the issues. I'm fo sho conservative on 2nd Amendment issues and fiscal responsibility. I'm liberal on lots of other issues. I refuse to pidgeonhole myself and laugh at those that try to put me in a certain category. They just really don't know me and I don't give a rat's azz whether they do or don't.

I've voted Republican and I've voted Democrat during the same Election.

It just depends. That's why I call myself a Moderate.

I'm all for compromise if it will move us forward.

5-0

StoopTroup
4/12/2012, 01:17 AM

I've actually argued that most folks on here that claim they are conservative have been guilty of quite a few liberal viewpoints by buying into some links they post that they felt was a conservative website. The longer I continue to listen to them and the GOP, they say they are conservative, but all they really want is the consevative vote. They go on as elected officials to serve as Moderate to Liberal. The first guy to actual serve as a Conservative was Eric Cantor and he did it when our Country needed Bi-Partisan agreement as a House Rep instead of as a Presidential Candidate.

I agree with JK though. It's funny that you can state someone else's opinion or even someone's opinion of simeone else and then some dip**** comes on here and suddenly claims you are a dirty lib for posting an internet link like the one on Wallace. I just meerly pointed out someone else's opinion on the matter and instead of just doing a little research to disprove the Reagans and Wallace weren't good friends or that Nixon never offerred Wallace a job, they immediately take liberties saying someone is on drugs or there is something mentally wrong with them.

At the end of this...it shows just how lazy a few old burned out Drunks are that they have to say something personal about a fellow Sooner.

Don't worry to much about it JK. I just saw a link where this Lady says her opinion based on her studies proves that closeminded folks like that have some sort of short penis syndrome and must always make cracks about other people when it's really them that have been really struggling with their personal shortcomings.

Curly Bill
4/12/2012, 07:30 AM
I've actually argued that most folks on here that claim they are conservative have been guilty of quite a few liberal viewpoints by buying into some links they post that they felt was a conservative website. The longer I continue to listen to them and the GOP, they say they are conservative, but all they really want is the consevative vote. They go on as elected officials to serve as Moderate to Liberal. The first guy to actual serve as a Conservative was Eric Cantor and he did it when our Country needed Bi-Partisan agreement as a House Rep instead of as a Presidential Candidate.

I agree with JK though. It's funny that you can state someone else's opinion or even someone's opinion of simeone else and then some dip**** comes on here and suddenly claims you are a dirty lib for posting an internet link like the one on Wallace. I just meerly pointed out someone else's opinion on the matter and instead of just doing a little research to disprove the Reagans and Wallace weren't good friends or that Nixon never offerred Wallace a job, they immediately take liberties saying someone is on drugs or there is something mentally wrong with them.

At the end of this...it shows just how lazy a few old burned out Drunks are that they have to say something personal about a fellow Sooner.

Don't worry to much about it JK. I just saw a link where this Lady says her opinion based on her studies proves that closeminded folks like that have some sort of short penis syndrome and must always make cracks about other people when it's really them that have been really struggling with their personal shortcomings.

Some of us don't have time to be the innerweb scholar that you are, you know: we have real jobs and all.

StoopTroup
4/12/2012, 10:36 AM
Some of us don't have time to be the innerweb scholar that you are, you know: we have real jobs and all.

So being a Domestic Engineer and all around great Father of Two isn't a job?

BigTip
4/12/2012, 07:47 PM
When someone says they are conservative, or liberal, what do you think they are talking about? What comes to mind first.

To me, since it is more important to me, I am thinking fiscal policy. If someone says they are conservative I assume they want less government intervention in the workings of a free market.

But other people might think conservative means how you feel on social issues like gay marriage, drug legalization, pro-life or choice type things.

The problems in attempting to label people a certain way is when they are fiscally conservative yet liberal/progressive when it comes to social issues. What are they?

sooneron
4/12/2012, 09:39 PM

[shaking head] There's a difference between one's opinion about their political leanings vs. how awesome they think that they are...
Sorry that's lost on you.

StoopTroup
4/12/2012, 10:51 PM
heh

Curly Bill
4/13/2012, 07:35 AM
[shaking head] There's a difference between one's opinion about their political leanings vs. how awesome they think that they are...

The innerwebs are SERIOUS business....not! Sorry that's lost on you.

Curly Bill
4/13/2012, 07:38 AM

Was there any hand-wringing with that head shaking, cause then I'd know you really mean it?

diverdog
4/13/2012, 08:37 AM

Define conservative.

StoopTroup
4/13/2012, 12:04 PM
I'm guessing Moderate is a flip flopper for a Conservative?

sooneron
4/13/2012, 10:49 PM
Moderate is a ***** to a true tea bagging conservative that loves legislating his morals to others...

LiveLaughLove
4/14/2012, 12:07 AM
Andy Rooney considered all of his comrades to be liberals. He said the 2004 vote among his media friends (of whom I am sure Wallace was one) was split evenly down the middle.

Half of them liked Kerry, and the other half hated Bush. (had to correct that quote)

I found Wallace to be rather fair, but certainly liberal in his questioning and in the stories he chose to do. Doesn't make him a bad person in my eyes, just the way I saw him and 60 Minutes over the years.

I remember a story (not by Wallace) at the start of the first Gulf War about our Abrams tanks and how the desert was going to render them incapable of being anything more than paper weights stuck in the desert. Target practice for Sadam's troops. Something about the turbines getting clogged with desert sand.

I thought it was idiotically bad reporting, and proved so. Our tanks (and all of our forces) performed magnificently.

I also noticed all of the homeless stories during the Reagan and Bush (the first) years, and the complete absence of them when Clinton reigned supreme. A lot of the time the bias is in what is and is not covered, not what is said or not said.

LiveLaughLove
4/14/2012, 12:10 AM

I sort of view moderates like Jesus views the lukewarm. :)

soonercoop1
4/14/2012, 10:22 AM

Because liberal is the kiss of death in politics and has been for years in many areas of the country...thats why they are now progressives....thats why they can't be honest and run on it or they would rarely be elected....

soonercoop1
4/14/2012, 10:25 AM

Moderate to me means someone on the fence that can't make up their mind...usually a liberal/progressive and or RINO....

jkjsooner
4/16/2012, 09:58 AM
Wikipedia = Facts?
Just like Bleacher report= Fine sports coverage

If this was addressed to me, I'll just point out that I never once made a claim about the validity of the facts that were presented.

What I did do is point out that the statements were not opinions. Just because a statement is incorrect does not mean it is an opinion.

Anyway, congrats for getting this thread about a person's death moved to the political forum. You act like you're above the fray but when it comes down to it you were the person who turned this into a political thread.

jkjsooner
4/16/2012, 10:04 AM

So it's acceptable to attack someone's facts without actually verifying whether or not the facts are correct because you don't have time to do so?

Hmmm. So if you say the earth is tilted on its axis it's perfectly acceptable for me to attack that position without looking it up myself because I don't have time to look it up?

That is an odd world you live in.

olevetonahill
4/16/2012, 10:06 AM
If this was addressed to me, I'll just point out that I never once made a claim about the validity of the facts that were presented.

What I did do is point out that the statements were not opinions. Just because a statement is incorrect does not mean it is an opinion.

Anyway, congrats for getting this thread about a person's death moved to the political forum. You act like you're above the fray but when it comes down to it you were the person who turned this into a political thread.

Heh, I never said I was above anythin.

Does it really matter where a Thread is?

jkjsooner
4/16/2012, 10:10 AM
Moderate to me means someone on the fence that can't make up their mind...usually a liberal/progressive and or RINO....

Or maybe it means someone whose political opinions can't be defined by one party or another. Most of us (other than RLIMC) are free thinkers and make up our own minds about each issue rather than follow some party line on every issue. In addition, a lot of us still try to keep our mind open enough to actually change our opinion if circumstances/evidence/etc move us to do so.

I suppose that last part could make someone believe I'm a flip flopper. I disagree. I don't change my opinion often but I think doing so it the honest thing to do. A true flip-flopper is someone who changes opinion for political gain.

Curly Bill
4/16/2012, 10:12 AM
So it's acceptable to attack someone's facts without actually verifying whether or not the facts are correct because you don't have time to do so?

Hmmm. So if you say the earth is tilted on its axis it's perfectly acceptable for me to attack that position without looking it up myself because I don't have time to look it up?

That is an odd world you live in.

You can do whatever ya want. You can even take this innerwebs really seriously if you want. You can even go have innerwebs strategy talks with ST for all I care.

Basically it comes down to no one with a clue thinks Mike Wallace anything other than a lib. And I don't give a flying rip what he thought himself to be, we can see what he actually was.

So, get your panties unwedged and relax. We're gonna have to bury some of you fools early cause you get too stresed over this stuff.

Curly Bill
4/16/2012, 10:16 AM
Heh, I never said I was above anythin.

Does it really matter where a Thread is?

Dang right it does! The innerwebs are serious business!!!

Mississippi Sooner
4/16/2012, 10:45 AM
It's Monday, and Mike Wallace is still dead.

olevetonahill
4/16/2012, 10:56 AM
Dang right it does! The innerwebs are serious business!!!

Dayum I keep fergettin

jkjsooner
4/16/2012, 12:53 PM
You can do whatever ya want. You can even take this innerwebs really seriously if you want. You can even go have innerwebs strategy talks with ST for all I care.

You made me laugh on that one. :-)