PDA

View Full Version : Counting chickens before they're hatched

cccasooner2
4/7/2012, 05:59 PM
IMHO, assuming we finally win number 8, the 2013 NFL draft will include the highest number of Sooners in the Bob Stoops era (2005). Even though the early goes may not be 1st rounders, they go for the money since they already have the NC.
QB – Landry Jones - 1st Round
RB - Dominique Whaley
FB – Trey Millard – (early)
OL – Lane Johnson – 1st Round
WR – Kenney Stills – (early)
DB – Demontre Hurst
DB – Tony Jefferson - (early)
DE – David King
DE – R. J. Washington
DT – Casey Walker
DT – Stacy McGee
DT – Jamarkus McFarland

UNFA
OL – Ben Habern
DB – Javon Harris
DB - Joseph Ibiloye
P - Tress Way

Feel free to give your opinions before the season starts. :playful:

8timechamps
4/7/2012, 07:20 PM
IMHO, assuming we finally win number 8, the 2013 NFL draft will include the highest number of Sooners in the Bob Stoops era (2005). Even though the early goes may not be 1st rounders, they go for the money since they already have the NC.
QB – Landry Jones - 1st Round
RB - Dominique Whaley
FB – Trey Millard – (early)
OL – Lane Johnson – 1st Round
WR – Kenney Stills – (early)
DB – Demontre Hurst
DB – Tony Jefferson - (early)
DE – David King
DE – R. J. Washington
DT – Casey Walker
DT – Stacy McGee
DT – Jamarkus McFarland

UNFA
OL – Ben Habern
DB – Javon Harris
DB - Joseph Ibiloye
P - Tress Way

Feel free to give your opinions before the season starts. :playful:

So much of it will depend on this year, but I think Habern goes in the draft. A four year stater and team captain (also academic all-american) at center isn't easy to come by. Assuming he is willing, and the injuries are behind him.

Salt City Sooner
4/7/2012, 09:54 PM
I don't see Millard going early because I don't think he'll have a reason to. I'm not knocking him in the slightest because he's one of my favorite players on the team, but fact is, his position is becoming more & more obsolete by the year, & thusly, FB's are getting lower & lower on the draft radar. Here's one article on the subject:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/17926951/draft-tip-sheet-hard-times-for-fullbacks-virtual-lock-at-12

cccasooner2
4/8/2012, 06:11 PM
I don't see Millard going early because I don't think he'll have a reason to. I'm not knocking him in the slightest because he's one of my favorite players on the team, but fact is, his position is becoming more & more obsolete by the year, & thusly, FB's are getting lower & lower on the draft radar. Here's one article on the subject:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/17926951/draft-tip-sheet-hard-times-for-fullbacks-virtual-lock-at-12

Millard is much more than just a FB, the NFL wants athletes that can do RB, block, catch passes out of the backfield, special teams, and hell maybe even fill in at LB. Millard is their man.

VA Sooner
4/8/2012, 08:37 PM
I think if Stoops and Heupel use Millard effectively, he'll show you he's got a lot he can do on the field and moves up the draft.

Habern had a bad injury that knocked him out of all-American contention last year but should be a top 2-3 center if he's healed well. Smart kid, great moves, and great track record. He'll move up the draft as this season pans out... as long as our team stays injury free.

Salt City Sooner
4/8/2012, 11:59 PM
I totally agree that they could expand his role & he in all probability would do well. Other than very, VERY occasionally lining up as a 2nd TE in the double sets & being the RB in a one back (usually pistol) set, they haven't featured him as such much at all. If they do that, I could see him moving up a round or so (the earliest FB went in the 4th last year). I'd still be very surprised if he left early for that though.

Sco
4/10/2012, 10:55 AM
Yikes. The 2013 season is going to be rough!

101sooner
4/10/2012, 11:22 AM
I hope you are right about Lane Johnson, but so far, I've seen him described as a lot of things, none of them remotely close to "1st Round".

stoops the eternal pimp
4/10/2012, 11:37 AM
QB – Landry Jones - 1st Round-agree
RB - Dominique Whaley-I dunno..If drafted, late
FB – Trey Millard – (early)-Disagree on leaving early.. no reason..
OL – Lane Johnson – 1st Round-Good athlete..We'll see how he is at LT.
WR – Kenney Stills – (early)-I can see this one
DB – Demontre Hurst-Interested to see what his measurements are..Out of 39 corners taken in the last draft, none sub 5'10.
DB – Tony Jefferson - (early)-possible
DE – David King-A guy I think that will test well
DE – R. J. Washington-UDFA as of now
DT – Casey Walker-UDFA, maybe a late rounder
DT – Stacy McGee-UDFA
DT – Jamarkus McFarland-UDFA

UNFA
OL – Ben Habern-healthy, then a late rounder
DB – Javon Harris
DB - Joseph Ibiloye
P - Tress Way

Curly Bill
4/10/2012, 11:46 AM
I'm much more in agreement with STEP than the OP. I didn't want to be the first one to throw some water on what I thought were overly optimistic projections though.

cccasooner2
4/10/2012, 03:50 PM
That's good, we're talking football before the action starts. Even got a (very) few to express what they believe until game 13 of the 2012 season when everything is pretty much obvious to the most casual observer.

@STEP, if Whaley has anything near his pre-injury stats, why would he be a late pick? Are his B. Stoops number comparisons to AD pure bbbbbullsss**** or do you think Whaley will never fully recover?

@Curly, what a coward, why not be the first to throw some water on an overly optimistic projection? Geeze we're talking a championship year here. I wanted to add Colvin, but of all the juniors on the team, I want him back for #9.

If Gardner ever qualifies and is a vital part of the OU success, do you see him going NFL early even though he will not play in the NC game? Or if he does play in the NC game, wind up with a 2 on the Wonderlic since it depends heavily on "number type of questions"?

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 07:44 AM
Ok, I'll quit being a coward and play along! As of right now I can't see how any of our D-linemen warrant getting drafted. I hope some of em rise to the occasion this season and that changes, and in the end I think one or two of them will play well enough, or like STEP said test well enough to be drafted, but so far that group hasn't done a whole lot.

I also don't see Millard leaving early. He's a great football player, versatile, and I think would bring great value to an NFL team, but for NFL purposes he might be a player without a position, and unless your name is Tebow NFL teams usually don't like that. That being said I think when he does go the league he'll have a long and fruitful NFL career.

cccasooner2
4/11/2012, 08:57 AM
Ok, I'll quit being a coward and play along! As of right now I can't see how any of our D-linemen warrant getting drafted. I hope some of em rise to the occasion this season and that changes, and in the end I think one or two of them will play well enough, or like STEP said test well enough to be drafted, but so far that group hasn't done a whole lot.

I also don't see Millard leaving early. He's a great football player, versatile, and I think would bring great value to an NFL team, but for NFL purposes he might be a player without a position, and unless your name is Tebow NFL teams usually don't like that. That being said I think when he does go the league he'll have a long and fruitful NFL career.

See? That wan't hard. :)

stoops the eternal pimp
4/11/2012, 09:27 AM
Honestly from an evaluation standpoint, I really can't state a very informed opinion on him after only watching him play 6 games...I sure don't listen to what Stoops has to say about him though...5'10 195-198 lbs, a good college back but I'm waiting to see something next level...North and south runner, I would compare him more to Allen Patrick..

Rocko
4/11/2012, 03:57 PM
Going out on a limb and saying Wort leaves if he has a successful year at MLB. Losing Venables was huge for him.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/11/2012, 04:34 PM
That is quite the limb considering I can't think of a team looking for a 6' 215 lb linebacker.

Rocko
4/11/2012, 05:05 PM
That is quite the limb considering I can't think of a team looking for a 6' 215 lb linebacker.

What's the point of going out on a limb if you're not going to make it worth your while. And in my defense Wort is 6' 230. From a quick google search I found Mychal Kendricks of Cal, who is projected as a late 2 rounder, comes in at 6' 240. At that kind of height, you don't have to be in the 250's range to have a lot of size.

8timechamps
4/11/2012, 06:39 PM
Stills has the physical attributes to be an NFL receiver, but I'm going to say he has to have a much better year than he had last year if he's going to seriously consider leaving early.

STEP, were you talking about Millard in your last post? I'm wondering if he could be viewed as a TE at the next level, or if his height would prevent that?

Curly Bill
4/12/2012, 07:39 AM
Going out on a limb and saying Wort leaves if he has a successful year at MLB. Losing Venables was huge for him.

That would be funny and ironic and all that, because if he has a successful year it'll be due at least in part to the fact Venables did leave. As of right now I haven't seen anything out of Wort that says NFL linebacker to me.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/12/2012, 12:15 PM
What's the point of going out on a limb if you're not going to make it worth your while. And in my defense Wort is 6' 230. From a quick google search I found Mychal Kendricks of Cal, who is projected as a late 2 rounder, comes in at 6' 240. At that kind of height, you don't have to be in the 250's range to have a lot of size.

Well Mychal Kendricks just also happened to post the fastest time for a linebacker in the last 12 years of the combine not to mention leading in about every other drill..That's a tough comparision..

At times during the season, Wort has trouble holding on to that weight..I'm sure he gets up to 225-228 during the off but he isn't playing that heavy yet..

stoops the eternal pimp
4/12/2012, 12:29 PM
Stills has the physical attributes to be an NFL receiver, but I'm going to say he has to have a much better year than he had last year if he's going to seriously consider leaving early.

STEP, were you talking about Millard in your last post? I'm wondering if he could be viewed as a TE at the next level, or if his height would prevent that?

I think Millard stays as a back, maybe an h-back type..

soonerboy_odanorth
4/17/2012, 06:58 PM
As of right now I can't see how any of our D-linemen warrant getting drafted.

Here's hoping to lift your spirits....

Fearless prediction for 2012 season: David King will be consensus AA.

Talk about versatile, the guy has been our go to player for the last two years when the staff has come up with a plan to throw a wrinkle at opponents. He is the single player that gave us the flexibility to run the 5-0 D or run any of the 5 fronts that mimick the 3-4 or 5-2. He has NFL DE size already, and has proven to be plenty athletic enough to handle multiple positions on D-line. And, he has been what I would call a quiet playmaker. He just hasn't gotten the mention of some others, but you go back to games like the Texas game last year, and he was creating havok play after play when he was on the field.

As the "feature" DE this year I predict he is going to explode and be one of those proverbial unstoppable forces.

StoopTroup
4/18/2012, 12:53 PM
I don't see Whaley on a Draft list unless he posts Heisman Numbers this year.

That said....we don't really know how his injury is going to turn out and until he's on the field against K-State (Taking out his revenge) this year...I don't think we can really have a feel for any Draft Status. It's just a Dream for ccca2. IMHO

setem
4/18/2012, 02:08 PM
Stills has a ton of growing up to do before he sniffs the NFL! That kid has the skill set to be a great one at OU but there are times when he acts like a little girl out there when things are not quite going well. I hope I am not the only one who noticed he would pull himself out of the game?

Washington has done absolutely nothing to deserve an NFL paycheck. He admitted to having problems early on at OU and I think it has lingered this whole time. I hope it all is in the passed this year and he destroys everyone!

I do not think Venables as big of a deal as some of you might think. Wort will do just fine under Mike, and I have heard they really are bonding well. Wort is not going anywhere and I don't think he will be a LB in the NFL or make the NFL period. He is undersized simple as that, I love him at OU though...

8timechamps
4/18/2012, 06:18 PM
Stills has a ton of growing up to do before he sniffs the NFL! That kid has the skill set to be a great one at OU but there are times when he acts like a little girl out there when things are not quite going well. I hope I am not the only one who noticed he would pull himself out of the game?

Washington has done absolutely nothing to deserve an NFL paycheck. He admitted to having problems early on at OU and I think it has lingered this whole time. I hope it all is in the passed this year and he destroys everyone!

I do not think Venables as big of a deal as some of you might think. Wort will do just fine under Mike, and I have heard they really are bonding well. Wort is not going anywhere and I don't think he will be a LB in the NFL or make the NFL period. He is undersized simple as that, I love him at OU though...

You're right (IMO) about Stills. I hope a lot of that had to do with Broyles being able to pick up the slack, and now that Stills knows what it's like without #85 on the field, he's realized what he has to do. Sometimes, putting someone in a leadership role can force them to become more disciplined. I really hope this is the case with Kenny. The fact the the competition is going to be sky high should help too.

I think Washington knows what needs to be done. As you said, he knows that he dogged it his first couple of years in Norman. He looked like a different player toward the end of last season....let's hope it sticks.

As STEP said earlier, Wort just doesn't have the size to play at the next level (or something like that, I'm too lazy to scroll back through). However, I love watching him fly to the ball, and our defense was noticeably worse when he was not in the game. As long as he can stay healthy, I think we'll be fine at LB.

Sooner-N-KS
4/18/2012, 07:45 PM
Yikes. The 2013 season is going to be rough!

Nah.....we'll have Bell and Metoyer. That's all we need.