PDA

View Full Version : March jobs report: Hiring slows, Unemployment falls

pphilfran
4/6/2012, 09:02 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/06/news/economy/jobs-report-unemployment/index.htm?iid=Lead

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Hiring slowed dramatically in March, clouding optimism about the strength of the recovery.

Employers added 120,000 jobs in the month, the Labor Department reported Friday, falling far short of economists' expectations.

The number marked a significant slowdown in hiring from February, when the economy added 240,000 jobs.

"It's discouraging that job growth was half of what it had been the previous month," said Christine Owens, executive director of the National Employment Law Project.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate fell to 8.2% as the labor force shrank by 164,000 workers, mostly due to white women leaving the job market.

The hardest hit industry was retail, which lost 33,800 jobs, mostly at department stores.

On the positive side, manufacturers created 37,000 jobs, professional services created 31,000 jobs, and health care added 26,000 jobs.

Restaurants and bars were also a large job creator, hiring 36,900.

Public sector job losses continued to slow. The government has been bleeding jobs since the middle of 2010, but recently those layoffs have started to wind down. The government cut just 1,000 jobs in March, while private businesses -- which have steadily been hiring for two years straight -- added 121,000 jobs.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/6/2012, 09:29 AM
O'Bummer Fail...

hawaii 5-0
4/6/2012, 10:31 AM
So bottom line.........

More jobs or less jobs?

Strange that so many want the Country to fail. Sad too.

5-0

yermom
4/6/2012, 11:08 AM
where the white women at?

pphilfran
4/6/2012, 11:14 AM
where the white women at?

I also liked that line...

Midtowner
4/6/2012, 12:45 PM
Strange that so many want the Country to fail. Sad too.

Some hate the Pres. so much that they'd rather see this country go down the crapper than have him preside over its recovery.

REDREX
4/6/2012, 12:47 PM
Some hate the Pres. so much that they'd rather see this country go down the crapper than have him preside over its recovery.----If the Gov't had stayed out of the way the economy would recover

pphilfran
4/6/2012, 12:51 PM
----If the Gov't had stayed out of the way the economy would recover

It they had completely stayed out of the way we would be recovering...from 25% unemployment...no supporting data only my own wild guess...

REDREX
4/6/2012, 01:30 PM
It they had completely stayed out of the way we would be recovering...from 25% unemployment...no supporting data only my own wild guess...---How much do you think the stimulus helped?----- It was just a Trillion $ waste------But we are now NUMBER ONE in the World in Corporate Tax-----Don't think that is helping?

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 01:51 PM
Some hate the Pres. so much that they'd rather see this country go down the crapper than have him preside over its recovery.

Some don't. Checkout Howard Schultz interview with Piers Morgan. Schultz refuses to give money to either party as he believes they and many Corporations are products of their own mistakes and that they all focus on profits so much that it will be the demise of the US. He's asked for more bipartisan negotiations so that they can create more of a Social Conscience that works by balancing that conscience with profitability. What we see instead is putting blame on Americans and outsourcing their jobs.

Now many of these Corporations are just sitting on those profits and asking for guaranteed success before coming back to America. They are Corporations without a Country. They sold off their patriotism and then other Countries turned them into outsiders and started backing knockoffs instead of the "we are open for business" approach they had to our Corporations that left 10-20 years ago.

I don't feel sorry for them. They want it both ways. They want to sell off our jobs and then come back to America asking us to help them with tax breaks so they can set up shop here again.

Guys like Schultz didn't buy in to the outsourcing and now should be rewarded for staying IMO instead of those that are asking for a fixed or lowered tax shelter to invest their money in.

soonercoop1
4/6/2012, 03:46 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/06/news/economy/jobs-report-unemployment/index.htm?iid=Lead

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Hiring slowed dramatically in March, clouding optimism about the strength of the recovery.

Employers added 120,000 jobs in the month, the Labor Department reported Friday, falling far short of economists' expectations.

The number marked a significant slowdown in hiring from February, when the economy added 240,000 jobs.

"It's discouraging that job growth was half of what it had been the previous month," said Christine Owens, executive director of the National Employment Law Project.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate fell to 8.2% as the labor force shrank by 164,000 workers, mostly due to white women leaving the job market.
The hardest hit industry was retail, which lost 33,800 jobs, mostly at department stores.

On the positive side, manufacturers created 37,000 jobs, professional services created 31,000 jobs, and health care added 26,000 jobs.

Restaurants and bars were also a large job creator, hiring 36,900.

Public sector job losses continued to slow. The government has been bleeding jobs since the middle of 2010, but recently those layoffs have started to wind down. The government cut just 1,000 jobs in March, while private businesses -- which have steadily been hiring for two years straight -- added 121,000 jobs.

WTF? So 1/2 the jobs created as the previous month and white women left the job market but the rate fell? Again WTF?

Midtowner
4/6/2012, 06:40 PM
---How much do you think the stimulus helped?----- It was just a Trillion $ waste------But we are now NUMBER ONE in the World in Corporate Tax-----Don't think that is helping?

#1 in corporate tax rate, yes.

Tax burden? Not even close. Which number matters more?

diverdog
4/6/2012, 07:31 PM
#1 in corporate tax rate, yes.

Tax burden? Not even close. Which number matters more?

Yep they always talk about the statutory rate and not the effective rate. We are not even close to the top in effective rate. Just another BS talking point on the right.

Our taxes (effective) are very low in this country as compared to the rest of the world.

Midtowner
4/6/2012, 07:51 PM
Yep they always talk about the statutory rate and not the effective rate. We are not even close to the top in effective rate. Just another BS talking point on the right.

Our taxes (effective) are very low in this country as compared to the rest of the world.

Catchy talking points aimed at the ignorant are pretty effective. Besides, the C-Corp tax rate doesn't apply to the vast majority of small businesses which are S-Corps where tax isn't paid until it becomes payroll tax. C-Corps are big companies (typically) which have selected to be C-Corps for various reasons, in most cases, it's because the C-Corp will be more profitable as a C-Corp (even while paying those corporate taxes) than the S-Corp model, or for other advantages.

REDREX
4/6/2012, 09:57 PM
Catchy talking points aimed at the ignorant are pretty effective. Besides, the C-Corp tax rate doesn't apply to the vast majority of small businesses which are S-Corps where tax isn't paid until it becomes payroll tax. C-Corps are big companies (typically) which have selected to be C-Corps for various reasons, in most cases, it's because the C-Corp will be more profitable as a C-Corp (even while paying those corporate taxes) than the S-Corp model, or for other advantages.--- The left is the King of talking points to the ignorant---Like that the top payers are not paying their "fair share" ,the Buffett tax would make a dent in the deficit or Obamacare will lower healthcare costs ----all fiction.--- The country has a SPENDING problem that more taxes will not fix

soonercruiser
4/6/2012, 11:12 PM

What recovery???

To get one, OBummer will have to return to the private sector.

REDREX
4/7/2012, 08:52 AM
What recovery???

To get one, OBummer will have to return to the private sector.----What do you mean "return to the private sector" ,when did he ever have a job in the private sector ?

Turd_Ferguson
4/7/2012, 10:17 AM
----What do you mean "return to the private sector" ,when did he ever have a job in the private sector ?He was a commrunity organizer...pay tention.

soonercoop1
4/8/2012, 09:51 AM

Not sure the right as you call it DD is all that "corporatist" anymore....pro small business probably not big fans of the big corporations...ie GE etc...

yermom
4/8/2012, 01:15 PM
that's a joke, right?

Midtowner
4/8/2012, 02:09 PM
--- The left is the King of talking points to the ignorant---Like that the top payers are not paying their "fair share" ,the Buffett tax would make a dent in the deficit or Obamacare will lower healthcare costs ----all fiction.--- The country has a SPENDING problem that more taxes will not fix

We have to both cut spending and raise taxes. As far as who to raise taxes on, I'd go a lot stronger than the President's plan. I'd advocate treating all capital gains taxes about $200K or so per year as being taxed at 40% or higher. That'd raise some pretty major money. I'd also impose a 1% transaction tax on all securities transactions in order to encourage investors to take a long-term approach to investment. I'd also be in favor of massive spending cuts.

The big trouble with spending cuts as opposed to tax cuts is that government spending is a big part of the military. Deficit hawks like to play around with cutting defense spending. Imagine the impact closing Tinker AFB would have on OKC. Imagine similar closings anywhere else. Government spending creates lots of jobs. Lots of really good jobs. As far as cutting entitlements goes, I'm all for that as well. I see no reason why, for example, if we're going to pay someone to do nothing, why we can't be paying them that same welfare check and requiring them to go out and work on this country's crumbling infrastructure?

I'm not really a liberal or a conservative. Neither political extreme is very pragmatic. We can't tax cut our way out of a deficit, nor can we spend our way out of one. While that was true in the past, only the United States' strong growth, coupled with a manageable inflation rate made that possible.

It really doesn't matter whether Obama or etch-a-sketch is President so long as the political parties remain dedicated to their respective fiscal fantasies.

pphilfran
4/8/2012, 03:06 PM
We have to both cut spending and raise taxes. As far as who to raise taxes on, I'd go a lot stronger than the President's plan. I'd advocate treating all capital gains taxes about $200K or so per year as being taxed at 40% or higher. That'd raise some pretty major money. I'd also impose a 1% transaction tax on all securities transactions in order to encourage investors to take a long-term approach to investment. I'd also be in favor of massive spending cuts.

The big trouble with spending cuts as opposed to tax cuts is that government spending is a big part of the military. Deficit hawks like to play around with cutting defense spending. Imagine the impact closing Tinker AFB would have on OKC. Imagine similar closings anywhere else. Government spending creates lots of jobs. Lots of really good jobs. As far as cutting entitlements goes, I'm all for that as well. I see no reason why, for example, if we're going to pay someone to do nothing, why we can't be paying them that same welfare check and requiring them to go out and work on this country's crumbling infrastructure?

I'm not really a liberal or a conservative. Neither political extreme is very pragmatic. We can't tax cut our way out of a deficit, nor can we spend our way out of one. While that was true in the past, only the United States' strong growth, coupled with a manageable inflation rate made that possible.

It really doesn't matter whether Obama or etch-a-sketch is President so long as the political parties remain dedicated to their respective fiscal fantasies.

I disagree on high taxes on LTCG...increase the time frame from one year to two if you must...tax the chit out of STCG...

Going back to Clinton income tax levels will only bring in a half a percent of GDP...and that is if the increase on the lower incomes goes through..cut that out and we only see a couple of tenths of GDP;;;it will take much more than Clinton levels to get us to 20% of GDP in our economy...

I would look closely at overseas military bases and shut down the non essential, bring em home and spend the money here (kind of a stimulus), and slowly make cuts...

Midtowner
4/8/2012, 03:22 PM
I disagree on high taxes on LTCG...increase the time frame from one year to two if you must...tax the chit out of STCG...

I could live with that, but I do think both LTCG and STCG need to have a progressive (and higher) tax rate. Leave the rates alone until income > $200K or so in order to not overburden middle class retirees who are depending on that money, but why should the super wealthy pay a lower effective rate than you or I?

Even if we're only talking 1% or 2% of GDP, we're going to have to cut or tax a lot more in order to get this country on a sustainable path. The only way to kill this deficit is death by paper cuts.

Going back to Clinton income tax levels will only bring in a half a percent of GDP...and that is if the increase on the lower incomes goes through..cut that out and we only see a couple of tenths of GDP;;;it will take much more than Clinton levels to get us to 20% of GDP in our economy...

Right, you can't do anything that'll risk our growth because that's ultimately going to be a major force.

I would look closely at overseas military bases and shut down the non essential, bring em home and spend the money here (kind of a stimulus), and slowly make cuts...

Or at the very least, stop using international firms to handle military contracts. If Halliburton wants to have its corporate offices in Dubai, say goodbye to U.S. contracts. We need to operate the military for the people, not as a means to enrich international corporations.

pphilfran
4/8/2012, 04:28 PM
The odds of getting what either of us thinks should be done is slim to none...

SanJoaquinSooner
4/8/2012, 10:40 PM
The market needs a 3 to 5 % pullback -- this may help it.

Midtowner
4/8/2012, 11:28 PM
The odds of getting what either of us thinks should be done is slim to none...

That's the trouble with our political parties. They have become so ideological that neither really has the answer and that they are unwilling to consider a more pragmatic approach.

So much of the voting public buys into the black/white manner of thinking whatever they're told to think, that we're now unable to elect decent people. Look at the things Romney has said (versus what he has actually done) in order to get elected. I have no idea what he stands for if he stands for anything. The President on the other hand inspires such vitriol that some on this board even refuse to spell his name correctly. He's a liberal Marxist Muslim when really he has governed from a center-right perspective and in truth probably would agree with Romney (of about 5-6 years ago) on more than he differs.

StoopTroup
4/9/2012, 12:23 AM
We took our Daughter out to find an easter dress and ended up at Dillards. The Wife was talking one of the Senior Sales Ladies that had been there quite awhile.

She said that turn over was high right now because a lot of Sales Folks weren't meeting their sales quotas. Now, considering February is usually pretty slow after Christmas you might see folks getting fired during that time and maybe the Retail Dept Stores decided to keep on letting folks go instead of replacing them. I really didn't see the same # of folks on the sales floor there or JCP or Macys.

Since Winter didn't really ever hit, maybe the early Spring Sales will spur the Retailers to start hiring again?

Maybe folks are getting more used to buying via the internet?

It's easy to shift blame to a POTUS I guess but it just might be the industry itself changing too. If I owned a Dept Store and you weren't selling and helping Customers, I'd fire you whether you had a Obama or Romney bumper sticker on your Prius. :D ;)

I don't usually do the shopping but since this thread concentrated on unemployment being down especially in the Retail Dept Stores...it's hard to ignore that they usually cut back on staff after Christmas so I'm not real shocked that number is pretty high. I am not shocked that someone would try and use an annual cutback to use it against a POTUS they don't like as unemployment fodder during an election year and especially after the POTUS got a bi-partisan agreement on a jobs bill.

diverdog
4/9/2012, 06:12 AM
The market needs a 3 to 5 % pullback -- this may help it.

Why?

SanJoaquinSooner
4/9/2012, 08:19 AM
CNBC's Rick Santelli is in Edmond reporting on natural gas auto

SanJoaquinSooner
4/9/2012, 08:20 AM
Why?

consolidation to make next move up in this secular bull market.

diverdog
4/9/2012, 08:49 AM
consolidation to make next move up in this secular bull market.

Thanks

Bourbon St Sooner
4/9/2012, 08:55 AM
We took our Daughter out to find an easter dress and ended up at Dillards. The Wife was talking one of the Senior Sales Ladies that had been there quite awhile.

She said that turn over was high right now because a lot of Sales Folks weren't meeting their sales quotas. Now, considering February is usually pretty slow after Christmas you might see folks getting fired during that time and maybe the Retail Dept Stores decided to keep on letting folks go instead of replacing them. I really didn't see the same # of folks on the sales floor there or JCP or Macys.

Since Winter didn't really ever hit, maybe the early Spring Sales will spur the Retailers to start hiring again?

It's easy to shift blame to a POTUS I guess but it just might be the industry itself changing too. If I owned a Dept Store and you weren't selling and helping Customers, I'd fire you whether you had a Obama or Romney bumper sticker on your Prius. :D ;)

I don't usually do the shopping but since this thread concentrated on unemployment being down especially in the Retail Dept Stores...it's hard to ignore that they usually cut back on staff after Christmas so I'm not real shocked that number is pretty high. I am not shocked that someone would try and use an annual cutback to use it against a POTUS they don't like as unemployment fodder during an election year and especially after the POTUS got a bi-partisan agreement on a jobs bill.

The DOL report is seasonally adjusted so any typical seasonal variation is taken out of the reported number.

pphilfran
4/9/2012, 11:55 AM
The DOL report is seasonally adjusted so any typical seasonal variation is taken out of the reported number.

That is correct...

diverdog
4/9/2012, 04:26 PM
That is correct...

The economy is not in as bad a shape as everyone professes. Overall we have one off the most broad based recoveries of the industrial world, corporate profits are up, non tech manufacturing is moving back to the US, we have some of the lowest energy cost of any nation, consumer confidence is up the market is way up and we are adding jobs. Really the biggest weak spot is housing and the job sector. Once those get fixed we should be okay.

pphilfran
4/9/2012, 04:56 PM
The economy is not in as bad a shape as everyone professes. Overall we have one off the most broad based recoveries of the industrial world, corporate profits are up, non tech manufacturing is moving back to the US, we have some of the lowest energy cost of any nation, consumer confidence is up the market is way up and we are adding jobs. Really the biggest weak spot is housing and the job sector. Once those get fixed we should be okay.

The economy is moving forward but not fast enough to really affect the jobs situation...

We can't have fuel prices go up another 10% or we could be sunk....

diverdog
4/9/2012, 05:59 PM
The economy is moving forward but not fast enough to really affect the jobs situation...

We can't have fuel prices go up another 10% or we could be sunk....

When I refer to energy it is everything overall. Our electricity is really cheap.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/10/2012, 01:43 AM
Who needs jobs?

I don't think employment numbers mean what they used to, in terms of economic activity and wealth of the country.

Take for example Facebook paying 1 billion dollars for Instagram:

Facebook has agreed to buy the hugely popular photo-sharing app maker Instagram for about $1 billion in cash and stock in a blockbuster deal reverberating around Silicon Valley.

,,,The 2-year-old Instagram in San Francisco has just 13 employees.

What we need is to make sure those 13 employees keep the economy humming. Make sure they buy lots of houses and hotels, land on Chance and Community Chest a lot, make donations to Free Parking, stay out of jail, and bail out others who go belly up early in the game.

Now think about it. If you are starting a business or investing in a business, would you be attracted to a business that needs a gazillion employees, all needing mucho compensation -- or would you be attracted to a business that just needs a small number of really smart and hard working ****ers? But for the greater good those smart and hard working ****ers need to be taxed handsomely and encouraged to use their wealth to consume and/or create more wealth.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/10/2012, 01:53 AM
Maybe we should stop worrying about job creation and start focusing and encouraging owner creation.

Dateline April, 2016: "The owner report for March came out this morning, showing 210,000 new owners came into being for the month."

pphilfran
4/10/2012, 07:47 AM
Who needs jobs?

I don't think employment numbers mean what they used to, in terms of economic activity and wealth of the country.

Take for example Facebook paying 1 billion dollars for Instagram:

What we need is to make sure those 13 employees keep the economy humming. Make sure they buy lots of houses and hotels, land on Chance and Community Chest a lot, make donations to Free Parking, stay out of jail, and bail out others who go belly up early in the game.

Now think about it. If you are starting a business or investing in a business, would you be attracted to a business that needs a gazillion employees, all needing mucho compensation -- or would you be attracted to a business that just needs a small number of really smart and hard working ****ers? But for the greater good those smart and hard working ****ers need to be taxed handsomely and encouraged to use their wealth to consume and/or create more wealth.

Then you should really hate Facebook...something like 3k employees with a projected market cap that could reach 100 billion...I think their IPO comes out in May...

jkjsooner
4/10/2012, 02:43 PM
WTF? So 1/2 the jobs created as the previous month and white women left the job market but the rate fell? Again WTF?

To use a distance analogy, just because you decelerate doesn't mean you're going backwards.

If the job gains are greater than the new people entering the job market then the unemployment will fall (not taking into consideration those who fall off the counts).

SanJoaquinSooner
4/11/2012, 10:30 AM

Big boxes are in trouble ... they're calling Best Buy "Best Browse" because shoppers browse at Best Buy and then go home and order on-line from another company. On-line retailers just aren't going to produce the number of jobs that bricks and mortars have in the past. Reducing cost is the name of the game and U.S. workers are expensive.

Y'all remember going to a gas station and one guy filled your car and cleaned your windshield, checked your oil if needed, checked the air in your tires, and a few places even had a guy vacuuming your interior?

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 10:34 AM
Big boxes are in trouble ... they're calling Best Buy "Best Browse" because shoppers browse at Best Buy and then go home and order on-line from another company. On-line retailers just are going to produce the number of jobs that bricks and mortars have in the past. Reducing cost is the name of the game and U.S. workers are expensive.

Y'all remember going to a gas station and one guy filled your car and cleaned your windshield, checked your oil if needed, checked the air in your tires, and a few places even had a guy vacuuming your interior?

When I was a pup I remember the Texaco next to our house doing that, they were in uniforms and everything. That was a long time ago!

Turd_Ferguson
4/11/2012, 11:23 AM
When I was a pup I remember the Texaco next to our house doing that, they were in uniforms and everything. That was a long time ago!My Dad owned a Texaco back in the 60's/70's. I remember the guy's running out when the drive bell rang. Uniforms, Police looking hats and all:D Trust your car to the man that wears the star!!:D

pphilfran
4/11/2012, 11:38 AM
You still cannot pump your own gas in New Jersey or Oregon...

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 11:47 AM
My Dad owned a Texaco back in the 60's/70's. I remember the guy's running out when the drive bell rang. Uniforms, Police looking hats and all:D Trust your car to the man that wears the star!!:D

After they'd close for the day it was great fun to run over that thing with my bicycle about a bajillion times!

OULenexaman
4/11/2012, 12:19 PM
My Dad owned a Texaco back in the 60's/70's. I remember the guy's running out when the drive bell rang. Uniforms, Police looking hats and all:D Trust your car to the man that wears the star!!:D I was one of those guys....

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 12:22 PM
I was one of those guys....

You worked for Turd's dad? Wow, small world!

OULenexaman
4/11/2012, 12:25 PM
If his dad owned the one and only Texaco in Edmond at the time then yes.

Turd_Ferguson
4/11/2012, 12:28 PM
I was one of those guys....At least 4 guys, and gas at 45 cents a gallon...how the hell did he make money? I remember the gas delivery man pumping gas into the tanks with a lit cigar in his mouth:D Those were the days.

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 12:31 PM
At least 4 guys, and gas at 45 cents a gallon...how the hell did he make money? I remember the gas delivery man pumping gas into the tanks with a lit cigar in his mouth:D Those were the days.

He must have had some type of gubmint assistance.

olevetonahill
4/11/2012, 02:25 PM
At least 4 guys, and gas at 45 cents a gallon...how the hell did he make money? I remember the gas delivery man pumping gas into the tanks with a lit cigar in his mouth:D Those were the days.
They made an average of about 5 cents a gallon of gas . Where SERVICE staitons made their money was in Tires, Oil, Wiper Blades stuff like that .

Why you think the Pump jockeys were all over yer car checking things for you?

When I worked in em we got a 5 buck bonus per tire we sold, a nickle for every quart of oil Etc:

rock on sooner
4/11/2012, 02:52 PM
One of the two jobs I had in college was working at a Consumer's Oil station..
in addition to gas, we washed and lubed cars, fixed flats, sold, mounted and balanced
tires, did minor (very minor) repairs. On a Saturday afternoon, we had seven guys
working the drive...cars got windshield work, checked under the hood, tires checked,
floorboards vacuumed (especially those with hawt drivers)...EVERY car (and gas
ranged from 39 to 59 cents a gallon (one gas war I remember it got down to 19 cents!).
This was in Ada, OK. early 70's...

Yeah, we got extra bucks for tires, quarts of oil, floor mats, etc....

Mississippi Sooner
4/11/2012, 03:33 PM
One of the two jobs I had in college was working at a Consumer's Oil station..
in addition to gas, we washed and lubed cars, fixed flats, sold, mounted and balanced
tires, did minor (very minor) repairs. On a Saturday afternoon, we had seven guys
working the drive...cars got windshield work, checked under the hood, tires checked,
floorboards vacuumed (especially those with hawt drivers)...EVERY car (and gas
ranged from 39 to 59 cents a gallon (one gas war I remember it got down to 19 cents!).
This was in Ada, OK. early 70's...

Yeah, we got extra bucks for tires, quarts of oil, floor mats, etc....

Hey, I remember that place. It was there on Mississippi Blvd. Had a big yellow sign with the gas prices, as I recall. I also seem to recall that they were one of the last stations around that sold ethyl.

olevetonahill
4/11/2012, 03:38 PM
Hey, I remember that place. It was there on Mississippi Blvd. Had a big yellow sign with the gas prices, as I recall. I also seem to recall that they were one of the last stations around that sold ethyl.

Last time I tried to buy Ethyl I dayum near went to Jail for Solicitation

rock on sooner
4/11/2012, 03:43 PM

Yeah, I went back to Ada several years later and it had turned into a convenience
store with one lazy fart behind the counter and a blank look when I mentioned that
it used to be a bee hive of activity....every hot rod in town gassed up there and all
the hawt college chicks did, too. Fun place to work....

rock on sooner
4/11/2012, 08:51 PM

YOU were the one I read about:congratulatory:

olevetonahill
4/11/2012, 09:01 PM
YOU were the one I read about:congratulatory:
That were prolly Me :congratulatory:

rock on sooner
4/11/2012, 09:03 PM

Hated like hell to climb up that sign to change prices...big case of accrophobia!

okie52
4/11/2012, 10:33 PM

"Rape at the gas station"

By who pumped ethyl

jkjsooner
4/12/2012, 10:42 AM
They made an average of about 5 cents a gallon of gas . Where SERVICE staitons made their money was in Tires, Oil, Wiper Blades stuff like that .

Why you think the Pump jockeys were all over yer car checking things for you?

When I worked in em we got a 5 buck bonus per tire we sold, a nickle for every quart of oil Etc:

The same it true now except it's quick stores instead of service stations. I think they make their money when guys go into the store to buy stuff.

Your description kind of makes me glad we don't have to deal with that anymore. I don't need the anxiety of someone working on commission trying to sell me stuff.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. They served a legitimate purpose.

rock on sooner
4/12/2012, 11:03 AM
The same it true now except it's quick stores instead of service stations. I think they make their money when guys go into the store to buy stuff.

Your description kind of makes me glad we don't have to deal with that anymore. I don't need the anxiety of someone working on commission trying to sell me stuff.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. They served a legitimate purpose.

Commission sales is still alive and well...shop at independent appliance/TV stores, cosmetic
counters, buy windows, siding, buy a car, even some high end clothing stores (men's and
women).

Back in the day, the extra bucks we got were more to make sure that we took care of that
customer, as opposed to trying to move high ticket tires, batteries, etc. Only time it ever
changed was when a particular brand of tire/battery needed to clear out. One perk that I
got was when I worked the all night shift I got to keep any flat fixing $$ or minor repair $$.

jkjsooner
4/13/2012, 09:22 AM
Commission sales is still alive and well...shop at independent appliance/TV stores, cosmetic
counters, buy windows, siding, buy a car, even some high end clothing stores (men's and
women).

Yep, commissions can be either good or bad from the consumer's perspective. When you are looking at cars you see the bad side of it. Sometimes it just serves as motivation for guys in the store to proactively help you - although it doesn't seem to help at Best Buy.

olevetonahill
4/13/2012, 09:27 AM
women).

Back in the day, the extra bucks we got were more to make sure that we took care of that
customer, as opposed to trying to move high ticket tires, batteries, etc. Only time it ever
changed was when a particular brand of tire/battery needed to clear out. One perk that I
got was when I worked the all night shift I got to keep any flat fixing $$ or minor repair $$.

That and Cars were better maintained then .

How many of you check your Tire pressure and or Oil regular?
Very few Id guess.