PDA

View Full Version : Painkiller sales soar around US, fuel addiction...

Turd_Ferguson
4/6/2012, 08:24 AM
Looks like it's getting out of control...

http://newsok.com/painkiller-sales-soar-around-us-fuel-addiction/article/feed/367728

yermom
4/6/2012, 08:31 AM
Nationwide, pharmacies received and ultimately dispensed the equivalent of 69 tons of pure oxycodone and 42 tons of pure hydrocodone in 2010, the last year for which statistics are available.

but how much of that was for Limbaugh

he's gotta be throwing off those statistics :biggrin:

KantoSooner
4/6/2012, 09:26 AM
Can someone explain what the recreational attraction of pain killers is? I get most other drugs and can even understand why some personalities are attracted to meth; but I just can't understand what's so much fun with painkillers.

olevetonahill
4/6/2012, 10:02 AM
Our resident expert will be along shortly to give us a complete rundown on this

KantoSooner
4/6/2012, 10:45 AM
Seriously, I'd like to know.
When I get a kidney stone, I take morphine and lie on the couch and watch cartoon network for about 18 hours, napping often. The absence of pain is nice; but it's not a big party. I can think of about 14 other intoxicants that are waaaaaay more joyous.

yermom
4/6/2012, 11:00 AM
well, part of it is that they can be hard to come off of. you feel like **** if you aren't taking them once you are hooked.

i've taken Hydrocodone. (by prescription) it was kinda like a party.

GDC
4/6/2012, 11:35 AM
On Justified the other night the bad guy was smoking Oxycontin, I didn't even know you could do that.

It's amazing we let the big pharm companies push their **** legally, but the little dude down the street goes to prison for buying or selling a dime bag of pot.

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 11:38 AM
Sometimes I like to wear a multi-Technocolor headband and Blues Brother's sunglasses and play my guitar....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

yermom
4/6/2012, 01:08 PM
On Justified the other night the bad guy was smoking Oxycontin, I didn't even know you could do that.

It's amazing we let the big pharm companies push their **** legally, but the little dude down the street goes to prison for buying or selling a dime bag of pot.

smoking it is BAD, you get it all at once instead of the time release, like snorting

it's a lot harder to come off of if you are smoking it vs. taking the pills normally

cleller
4/6/2012, 01:49 PM
With hydrocodone, if you take it on an empty stomach, it can kind of relax you. Not very long. I'm sure the addicts take a bunch, and it heightens the effect.
Stopping would be the hard part. Lots of people get on it after an injury. After awhile its painkilling properties wane, yet the person can't stand to live without it. Like an alcoholic with the DTs. Just can't quit.

yermom
4/6/2012, 02:00 PM
as someone that hardly even takes NSAIDs, Hydrocodone messed me up.

texaspokieokie
4/6/2012, 03:01 PM
I like those J.A. songs, reminds me of when i lived in CA & was having mucho fun. (no drugs)

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 04:05 PM
Feed your head....lol

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 04:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR_qa3Ohwls

8timechamps
4/6/2012, 04:45 PM
Can someone explain what the recreational attraction of pain killers is? I get most other drugs and can even understand why some personalities are attracted to meth; but I just can't understand what's so much fun with painkillers.

I don't know about meth, but I can speak to the painkiller addiction with some knowledge. When people become addicted (dependent is a better word) on an opiate, there comes a time when they have to use just to keep from getting sick (or to feel "normal"). That fuels a lot of the use worldwide.

I have never been addicted, but I had an employee that became addicted (then dependent) on Percocet, then Oxycontin. She was smart enough to finally ask for help, and I'm glad to say she is a recovering addict (and clean for almost 3 years).

After going through that, I view addicts differently. I know a lot of addicts start as recreational drug users, but a lot are a result of using the painkillers as prescribed, then becoming dependent. I've never seen a statistical breakdown, but I would like to know how many addicts come from recreational use versus prescribed use.

Jacie
4/6/2012, 08:27 PM
You mean there has been this big party going on all this time? Why am I always the last to find out about this stuff?

Jacie
4/6/2012, 10:32 PM
Why do people drink beer? It tastes like crap, but it gives people a buzz and an ability to decrease their inhibitions.

I think you have been drinking the wrong beer . . .

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 10:46 PM
There's nothing like a little Salvia IMHO. :D ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX31t2PNL-M

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 10:53 PM
Or some really good shrooms....NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4PfW41bX-4&feature=related

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 10:58 PM
Nothing like 30 hits of LSD for handing out free food to the homeless....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFzhEDdexc&feature=related

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 11:25 PM
Seems like Salvia makes you want to run or make love to your furniture....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsjEAkEZbLU&feature=related

usmc-sooner
4/7/2012, 09:11 AM
I think this thread is hitting close to home for somebody.

Turd_Ferguson
4/7/2012, 10:15 AM
Yes, I noticed I haven't seen Sicem on here since I posted this thread...

StoopTroup
4/7/2012, 11:40 PM
I never thought those Limbaugh comments would go un-commented on.

Seems they are directly pointing the finger at the 10 States that do not monitor or track patients.

In 2006, only 20 states had prescription drug monitoring programs aimed at tracking patients. Now 40 do, but many aren't linked together, so abusers can simply go to another state when they're flagged in one state's system.

They seemed to directly point the finger at Tennessee, Appalachia, the Military, and the mail-order pharmacies that many insurance companies are using to lower insurance costs.

I often wonder if any of the Ten States they blame were ones that Austin Box might have used to get the pills that evidently led to his death. I still mourn his passing but any further speculation as to what happened or why it happened seems to have just become something that they would rather not speak about.

Scott D
4/8/2012, 06:11 PM
Honestly if we got rid of the State of Florida that number is probably half of what was reported. It wasn't that long ago that Cardinal and CVS got into some deep **** over a huge increase in oxycontin orders.

8timechamps
4/8/2012, 07:20 PM
Honestly if we got rid of the State of Florida that number is probably half of what was reported. It wasn't that long ago that Cardinal and CVS got into some deep **** over a huge increase in oxycontin orders.

Yep, I watched a report on the (massive) amount of prescription painkillers that were being sold in Florida (mostly out of unorthodox pharmacies [with a "handy" prescribing doctor located either in, or near, the pharmacy]). They followed one guy that drove from Ohio or somewhere like that, who got a prescription (and had it filled) for something like 500 Vicodin. It was pretty crazy.

It was either a 60 minutes report, or CNN Special. You could probably find it online (if you really wanted to see it).

KantoSooner
4/9/2012, 08:59 AM
Further supporting my long held position that:

1) Florida is the a-hole of creation
and
2) That many of our national healthcare woes would disappear if even a shambling competence were injected into enforcement of existing rules.

8timechamps
4/9/2012, 01:44 PM
Further supporting my long held position that:

1) Florida is the a-hole of creation
and
2) That many of our national healthcare woes would disappear if even a shambling competence were injected into enforcement of existing rules.

1) There are a couple of beaches I would keep, but otherwise, I'm with you.

2) That's the answer to many of this countries issues.

picasso
4/9/2012, 02:46 PM
Can someone explain what the recreational attraction of pain killers is? I get most other drugs and can even understand why some personalities are attracted to meth; but I just can't understand what's so much fun with painkillers.Yeah I don't get it. I've taken about all of the various kinds for finger surgery and a disc problem. I kinda liked Hydrocodone but no way in hell I craved them all of the time. Plus, they make you constipated.

picasso
4/9/2012, 02:47 PM
With hydrocodone, if you take it on an empty stomach, it can kind of relax you. Not very long. I'm sure the addicts take a bunch, and it heightens the effect.
Stopping would be the hard part. Lots of people get on it after an injury. After awhile its painkilling properties wane, yet the person can't stand to live without it. Like an alcoholic with the DTs. Just can't quit.
Empty stomach? What the hell? You're never supposed to take heavy pain meds on an empty stomach.

picasso
4/9/2012, 02:50 PM
Why do people drink beer? It tastes like crap
You're drinking the wrong kind of beer my friend.

StoopTroup
4/9/2012, 09:19 PM
I'm really confused now.

Yeah I don't get it. I've taken about all of the various kinds for finger surgery and a disc problem. I kinda liked Hydrocodone but no way in hell I craved them all of the time. Plus, they make you constipated.

well, part of it is that they can be hard to come off of. you feel like **** if you aren't taking them once you are hooked.

i've taken Hydrocodone. (by prescription) it was kinda like a party.

Looks like it's getting out of control...

http://newsok.com/painkiller-sales-soar-around-us-fuel-addiction/article/feed/367728

yermom
4/9/2012, 09:23 PM
well, to be fair i took 2 or 3 of them total after having my wisdom teeth out. i don't remember being constipated, but i remember enjoying myself at the time.

i probably didn't really need anything that strong

8timechamps
4/9/2012, 09:39 PM
Yeah I don't get it. I've taken about all of the various kinds for finger surgery and a disc problem. I kinda liked Hydrocodone but no way in hell I craved them all of the time. Plus, they make you constipated.

I love a cold beer once in a while, but I don't crave it when I wake up in the morning. Like any addiction, you do it enough and on a regular basis, you'll have a hard time not doing it.

As for using prescription painkillers as a 'party drug', that makes no sense to me at all. When I've been on painkillers, the last thing I wanted to do was party. I usually just ended up falling asleep.

OULenexaman
4/10/2012, 08:10 AM
Cold beer and 10mg of Hydrocodone.......it's on.

cantwait48
4/11/2012, 01:58 PM
Nothing like 30 hits of LSD for handing out free food to the homeless....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFzhEDdexc&feature=related

I thought he was gonna eat that cigarette

picasso
4/11/2012, 09:00 PM
Cold beer and 10mg of Hydrocodone.......it's on.
Ah yes, nothing like damaging the **** outta yer vital organs.:playful:

StoopTroup
4/12/2012, 01:24 AM
I love a cold beer once in a while, but I don't crave it when I wake up in the morning. Like any addiction, you do it enough and on a regular basis, you'll have a hard time not doing it.

As for using prescription painkillers as a 'party drug', that makes no sense to me at all. When I've been on painkillers, the last thing I wanted to do was party. I usually just ended up falling asleep.

I guess I'm missing something. Per the experts here...I thought you were just a drug addict?

8timechamps
4/12/2012, 05:37 PM
I guess I'm missing something. Per the experts here...I thought you were just a drug addict?

No, no, no....I'm a sex addict.

StoopTroup
4/12/2012, 10:33 PM
lol