PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Defense: Mike's difference in opinion so far...

goingoneight
4/5/2012, 09:45 PM
Tony Jefferson out at nickel and in at the FS (slobber-knocker) position. Jefferson is just an awesome player, and I think he could have his best year yet at FS given his knack for finding the football and his natural skillset.

Mike says Gabe Lynn is more fit for safety... he got a lot of snaps long before the Tech fiasco last year, so obviously he's good enough at something. Interesting that Mike believes the switch might be a good move for him.

Same for Javon Harris, really... though he was not a corner supposedly out of position. I think JH loves to hit and hits well, but lacks that coverage ability that we've tried putting him in before. I'm no expert, but hearing he's had a great Spring and that Mike feels he's a good fit at SS is saying something given Mike's success at that position during his first five years here.

So three position moves so far... what Stoops brothers have kinda made a name for themselves doing here. I really and truly think if we don't have an absolute star emerge between Lamar Harris and Joe Powell, Colvin will be moved back to corner. Many signs point to that; but there's still much off-season to go. We were led to believe that Jonathan Nelson was going to move to CB in 2010 because Jamell Fleming couldn't handle it. Summer workouts and Fall camp changed that.

Mike also said earlier in the year how he felt Joseph Ibiloye was a great player and hinted that he felt he might have been under-utilized at OLB/NB. It's hard to say Ibiloye has a glaring weakness because he's been pretty solid most of the limited time I've seen him in games. Good all-around player who might have just not had a true position the last few years ala Tony Jefferson.

Still anxious to see who the next stars will be up front. No offense to RJ Washington; but as fans we're all cautiously optimistic as to whether a career backup can be the next Ronnell, Big Frank or Jeremy Beal. We'd love to see it, RJ... give 'em hell. Grissom is a guy who has quietly earned praise from BOB Stoops numerous times; but has had nagging injuries. King is serviceable if not ready to be unleashed for a big senior year. Lots of experience... BJW has really never had BAD DEs during his time coaching them here, though. Just not a returning superstar in his lineup this year. DTs aren't Gerald McCoy or Tommie Harris-good; but they were much improved in 2011 versus 2010. They're ALL back and have some possible young stars joining them in the two Jordans.

Love him or hate him, Travis Lewis was that guy who got his team fired up coming out of the tunnell and was for a few years. Hopefully the "heart" of OUr 2012 defense has some attitude and leadership as Bob and Mike (and BV's) greater defenses had. It'd be nice to have a Lofton-esque or Marshall-esque surprise this season like we had in 2007 and 1999 respectively.

What's everyone think or hearing?

LVSOONER15
4/5/2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks for sharing. I too would love to see someone step up like Marshall did in 99.

goingoneight
4/5/2012, 09:58 PM
Marshall and Lofton were surprise AAs we didn't even know we had on campus. That's a stretch to wish for, I know...

It's going to be interesting to see what formations Mike and Kish use to combat the video game offenses. Mike and BV made a name for themselves running multiple looks out of a 4-3 against mostly I-formation offenses in his first tenure here. The QBs and WR talent across the board is a completely different ballgame now. Not to suggest a good defense can't be successful against it all, though. OU, Texas and Nebraska all played great defense in 2009 within the B12.

sooneron
4/5/2012, 10:54 PM
Lofton was a 4* coming out of High School. Many had high hopes for him.

setem
4/6/2012, 09:06 AM
RJ has been a major flop so far. I hope he does well but after having class with him at OU I don't he can do it. If the way he acts in class is any indication of how he takes coaching, I can't believe he has not been kicked off the team by now.

KantoSooner
4/6/2012, 09:24 AM
I'll be interested to watch Wort. The little comments I've heard him make to media since the season indicate that he's taking a leadership role seriously; and lord knows the lad can hit. If he stays injury free, he might have a monster year.

goingoneight
4/6/2012, 09:54 AM
Lofton was a 4* coming out of High School. Many had high hopes for him.

With all due respect, stars don't mean anything when you've been on campus for four years as a backup. We were in desperate need of good LB play in spring 2007 and Lofton was indeed a surprise as a first year starter.

Frozen Sooner
4/6/2012, 10:14 AM
Lofton was on campus four years as a career backup? Man, that's crazy, since he went pro after his true junior season.

PLaw
4/6/2012, 11:45 AM
Arguably the Sooners' top special teams player as well, Millard made an immediate impression on new defensive coaches Mike Stoops and Tim Kish, who joined the program this spring after coaching at Arizona last season.

“The new guys, Mike and Tim Kish, have made the statement on more than one occasion that he might be the best player on the team,” Bob Stoops said. “He’s a great athlete that can do so many things.” BRANDON CHATMON Blog at espn.com

Hmmm, I would love to see an experiment with Millard at Mike, Wort at Will, and Nelson at Sam.

I think this lineup would be solid against Big 12 Spread or SEC Power.

BOOMER

8timechamps
4/6/2012, 04:35 PM
Arguably the Sooners' top special teams player as well, Millard made an immediate impression on new defensive coaches Mike Stoops and Tim Kish, who joined the program this spring after coaching at Arizona last season.

“The new guys, Mike and Tim Kish, have made the statement on more than one occasion that he might be the best player on the team,” Bob Stoops said. “He’s a great athlete that can do so many things.” BRANDON CHATMON Blog at espn.com

Hmmm, I would love to see an experiment with Millard at Mike, Wort at Will, and Nelson at Sam.

I think this lineup would be solid against Big 12 Spread or SEC Power.

BOOMER

Would it surprise anyone if Millard could play LB as well as anyone on the team? Sounds like he could play just about any position needed, but his body type would prevent him from doing much on the O-line. While having him line up at LB is probably a pipe dream, I think he would be an absolute animal there.

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 06:29 PM
Would it surprise anyone if Millard could play LB as well as anyone on the team? Sounds like he could play just about any position needed, but his body type would prevent him from doing much on the O-line. While having him line up at LB is probably a pipe dream, I think he would be an absolute animal there.

It doesn't surprise me at all. It wouldn't be the first time we've seen guys shift positions and be just as good at the position they move from. It says a lot about the quality of the Athletes Bob recruits

Eielson
4/6/2012, 08:43 PM
RJ has been a major flop so far. I hope he does well but after having class with him at OU I don't he can do it. If the way he acts in class is any indication of how he takes coaching, I can't believe he has not been kicked off the team by now.

If I'm not mistaken, he had two sacks in our bowl game against All-Big 10/projected #2 OL in the draft, Riley Reiff. It was quite a bright spot to end the season on at least.

VA Sooner
4/6/2012, 09:31 PM
I agree with the defense assessment.

Seeing Colvin as a CB more than a safety with his lighter weight at 176# (last season). He's got the speed and coverage for CB... Jefferson and Harris at safety makes sense. Didn't see the Gabe Lynn idea at safety at first... but this does have some merit. Would love to see the spring game this year... couldn't make it out there for the first time in 4 years.

8timechamps
4/6/2012, 09:37 PM
I agree with the defense assessment.

Seeing Colvin as a CB more than a safety with his lighter weight at 176# (last season). He's got the speed and coverage for CB... Jefferson and Harris at safety makes sense. Didn't see the Gabe Lynn idea at safety at first... but this does have some merit. Would love to see the spring game this year... couldn't make it out there for the first time in 4 years.

Sounds like Colvin to safety is a real possibility (I know, I thought the same thing you did). However, I think Colvin could make an impact at safety (dare I say his cover ability is a bit better than Harris). All of this is dependent on someone stepping up and taking the vacant corner spot.

On another note, I am actually excited to see the defense play. Lots of changes, and a new coach could (should) lead to positive results.

VA Sooner
4/8/2012, 08:34 PM
Sounds like Colvin to safety is a real possibility (I know, I thought the same thing you did). However, I think Colvin could make an impact at safety (dare I say his cover ability is a bit better than Harris). All of this is dependent on someone stepping up and taking the vacant corner spot.

On another note, I am actually excited to see the defense play. Lots of changes, and a new coach could (should) lead to positive results.

Colvin is an excellent cover guy... no doubt. Add 10-15 pounds to his frame and you've got a safety for the next level in the same mold as Q Carter. Then again... all of them may look a bit slow and weak when T Jeff hits the field. Would love to see the spring game this Saturday... feel like this is the most important thing to see is how Mike has affected the defense.