PDA

View Full Version : Who's the next QB to get an offer for 2013?

8timechamps
4/5/2012, 09:20 PM
With Browne committed to USC, and no other offer out there for a QB, who will the Sooners go after next?

There has been a 'plan b' in place since long before the Max Browne announcement. Right now, there are two guys that are top contenders for the next QB offer:

First up is Brayden Scott, a local kid (Tahlequah, OK). Scott may be on OU's back up list, but he's the number one target for a lot of schools (already has offers from Arkansas, Arizona, Arizona State, Missouri, Tulsa, Clemson, Alabama and Purdue). If OU wants Scott, he'll dump the others and commit right away. In an interview done with Scott a day prior to the Max Browne announcement, he said "I hope the best for Max, I know Max would be a good fit for OU, but I think I would be a better fit for the program." Scott has made no secret that he really wants to play of OU, they just need to offer. The only downside I see to Scott is that he's not as tall as the QBs currently rostered. He's 6'2", 200lbs. Other than that, he looks to be a really good prospect.

The second horse in the race is Cody Thomas. Thomas (6'4", 220lbs), out of Colleyville Texas is another 'plan b' recruit that already sits on plenty of offers (Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Ole Miss, North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU, Oregon and others), but has yet to receive an offer from OU. Both Thomas and Brayden Scott attended a recent Nike event in Dallas, and most in attendance thought that Scott looked a little better, but Thomas may have more athleticism.

Both Scott and Thomas have been to OUs junior days, and have visited Norman on other occasions (unofficial visits).

There are others that have received interest from OU, but not to the level of Scott or Thomas. I'd really like to see the Sooners offer Scott asap. I think the kid has a great attitude, and the skills to back it up on the field.

Herr Scholz
4/6/2012, 01:42 PM
I watched some video of Cody Thomas. Kid throws a very nice ball. He's a great pro style QB prospect. Think he would fit in very well in your offense. I'd take him in a heartbeat. But I don't know much about the Scott kid.

8timechamps
4/6/2012, 04:24 PM
There's a third player that has emerged in the past 24 hours:

Kelly Hilinski (6'6", 220lbs) out of Sherman Oaks, California. Hilinski has been on the Sooners' radar fro awhile, but until last night, was not considered among the top QB prospects. Currently, Hilinski has only one offer (from Arkansas), but interest from several schools (including Stanford, Colorado, UCLA and Harvard). After the Max Browne commitment to USC, Hilinski sent a text to coach Heupel that said "I’m still ready to be Oklahoma’s quarterback.". The two were scheduled to talk today sometime.

8timechamps
4/6/2012, 04:25 PM
I watched some video of Cody Thomas. Kid throws a very nice ball. He's a great pro style QB prospect. Think he would fit in very well in your offense. I'd take him in a heartbeat. But I don't know much about the Scott kid.

Thomas could be a little more of a project, but definitely has more upside (I think so anyway). Scott has a strong arm, but as I mentioned above, not as big as the usual OU QB target.

picasso
4/6/2012, 06:30 PM
Scott's dad played sparingly at oSu and his grandfather is a legendary OK high school coach.

8timechamps
4/6/2012, 08:42 PM
Scott's dad played sparingly at oSu and his grandfather is a legendary OK high school coach.

IIRC, you were one of the first to mention Scott here. He's the one I'm hoping gets the offer.

Curly Bill
4/7/2012, 12:51 AM
Unless we're really sold on one of these dudes, I'd rather none of em gets an offer. I know our recent history has been to take at least one QB in each class, but is it really necessary if we can't get a dude we really want?

8timechamps
4/7/2012, 07:16 PM
Unless we're really sold on one of these dudes, I'd rather none of em gets an offer. I know our recent history has been to take at least one QB in each class, but is it really necessary if we can't get a dude we really want?

I think that may be the hold up on offering. If they feel like offering one of these guys is "settling", then they may not offer any. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see them use an offer on another defensive player.

Now, with that said, Scott and Thomas are both ESPNU Top 150, and Rivals Top 150 recruits, with a lot of big time offers and a lot of talent. Should we end up with either of those guys, it won't be a bad thing.

badbrad2582
4/29/2012, 07:58 PM
Test

picasso
4/29/2012, 11:23 PM
Test
Fail.

badbrad2582
4/30/2012, 06:47 PM
Scott I do not think is a top 150. Thomas is , I would not offer because he will most likely go MLB route. I would like us to go for the Cal kid. QB is not a serious position to get for the Sooners this class of 2013. We're gonna get 1 possible 5 star and potentially high 4 star with the broken arrow kid in 2014. DB and DT OT is most needed and LB

MountainOkie
4/30/2012, 07:50 PM
Hilinski's arm looks good to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3JjfuiorLQ

Petrino offered him before the motorcycle incident: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7733584/kelly-hilinski-prove-doubters-wrong

8timechamps
4/30/2012, 08:46 PM
Scott I do not think is a top 150. Thomas is , I would not offer because he will most likely go MLB route. I would like us to go for the Cal kid. QB is not a serious position to get for the Sooners this class of 2013. We're gonna get 1 possible 5 star and potentially high 4 star with the broken arrow kid in 2014. DB and DT OT is most needed and LB

True. QB isn't a high priority for this year, and (as you mentioned), next year already looks pretty good for the position.

badbrad2582
4/30/2012, 10:15 PM
Aaron Green is a stud transfer from Nebraska looking to come to OU. What you guys think ? 5 star RB 2011. I hope he comes

8timechamps
4/30/2012, 10:48 PM
Aaron Green is a stud transfer from Nebraska looking to come to OU. What you guys think ? 5 star RB 2011. I hope he comes

Given the way things played out last season, I don't think we can ever have too many good backs. I say "c'mon!"

badbrad2582
4/30/2012, 11:02 PM
We seem to be one of his top 3 choices.

Sabanball
5/3/2012, 06:02 PM
Looks like a great prospect, but we have not offered Brayden Scott--yet. It's customary for Saban not to extend a scholly offer to a qb until he has actually seen him throw in person, and Scott has yet to even make it on campus for a visit.

Kind of surprised that you guys have not offered Cooper Bateman out of Salt Lake City, Utah--he's 6'3" 190 lbs and the 6th rated qb prospect(according to Rivals). With Phillip Sims transferring to Virginia, we will take two qbs in this class and we will probably make him an offer--I just think he'll be a tough pull considering that he lives 2000 miles away from Tuscaloosa. But his recent comments are encouraging and we will be the only out of state campus that he has visited more than once when he and his parents come here next month.

My guess is that Mr. Bateman and Connor Mitch out of North Carolina are at the top of our board right now, and that Brayden Scott may be one we look seriously at if we lose out on one of them....

8timechamps
5/3/2012, 07:31 PM
Looks like a great prospect, but we have not offered Brayden Scott--yet. It's customary for Saban not to extend a scholly offer to a qb until he has actually seen him throw in person, and Scott has yet to even make it on campus for a visit.

Kind of surprised that you guys have not offered Cooper Bateman out of Salt Lake City, Utah--he's 6'3" 190 lbs and the 6th rated qb prospect(according to Rivals). With Phillip Sims transferring to Virginia, we will take two qbs in this class and we will probably make him an offer--I just think he'll be a tough pull considering that he lives 2000 miles away from Tuscaloosa. But his recent comments are encouraging and we will be the only out of state campus that he has visited more than once when he and his parents come here next month.

My guess is that Mr. Bateman and Connor Mitch out of North Carolina are at the top of our board right now, and that Brayden Scott may be one we look seriously at if we lose out on one of them....

Good call. I recently read that he (Scott) thought he had an offer, but there was some confusion (I'm not sure how you could confuse whether or not you have an offer from an elite program, but whatever).

Anyway, it's looking more and more like he's going to get the offer from the Sooners. I think we both (OU and Bama) would've rather had Browne, but he sealed his fate at USC.

Sabanball
5/4/2012, 08:26 PM
8time,

We made a run at Browne but he was always regarded as a long shot. I'd have to agree also--Brayden will probably end up in Norman.

colleyvillesooner
5/7/2012, 09:04 PM
From twitter:

@AMKing00: Just received a text from Colleyville (Texas) Heritage QB, Cody Thomas saying that the #Sooners have offered him a scholarship today.

8timechamps
5/8/2012, 03:15 PM
From twitter:

@AMKing00: Just received a text from Colleyville (Texas) Heritage QB, Cody Thomas saying that the #Sooners have offered him a scholarship today.

Yep, Cody Thomas it is. Very surprised, as his name wasn't mentioned nearly as much as Scott and Hilinski. Anyway, he's ranked #11 for pocket-passing QBs by ESPNU, and here's a little information of him:

Cody Thomas
Quarterback
6'4" 220 lbs
Heritage High School, Colleyville TX.

Current Offers
Arkansas, Auburn, Florida International, Florida, Iowa, Michigan State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, TCU, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt and Virginia.

ESPNU Rank
Position Rank (National): 11
Recruit Rank (Regional): 25
Recruit Rank (State): 22

BoomerJ
5/9/2012, 10:42 AM
Some think that Thomas will take the money and become a professional baseball player. Supposedly, Heupel is headed to Cali today to check out Hellinski (spelling). I personally would wish they would save the scholly for another position and wait until 2014. The four good QBs we have should be enough for good compitition.

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 03:10 PM
Some think that Thomas will take the money and become a professional baseball player. Supposedly, Heupel is headed to Cali today to check out Hellinski (spelling). I personally would wish they would save the scholly for another position and wait until 2014. The four good QBs we have should be enough for good compitition.

Another reason why I'm a little surprised by the offer. We'll see...

Given our need at DT (among other defensive positions), I'd like to see them use the scholarship for a defensive player too. Especially since we're already in really good position to land the top QB in the state next year.

Of course, it' s SO MUCH EASIER to offer recruiting advice from behind my computer screen. :D

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2012, 01:12 AM
Heupel didnt make it to Cali today. Probably because of what went down this evening.

But he is suppose to be there tomorrow to watch Rettig.

BoomerJ
5/10/2012, 07:49 AM
Rettig, that's right. I couldn't remember the name. Thanks, 75. I couldn't agree more, 8time.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/18/2012, 01:34 AM
Cody's committed. With his baseball talent, hope we can keep him at OU football.

BoomerJ
5/18/2012, 12:01 PM
His words to Carey Murdoch were essentially 'It's been my dream since a boy to play college football, to get my degree, and nothings changing that.' Money talks, as they say, so we shall see.

picasso
5/18/2012, 08:27 PM
He's an outfielder right? That means he isn't getting big time pitching phenom type money.

8timechamps
5/18/2012, 09:08 PM
He's an outfielder right? That means he isn't getting big time pitching phenom type money.

Exactly. Not to mention how hard it is for a non-pitcher to make the bigs out of high school. It will be interesting to see how this play out, but since we don't *need* a QB out of this class, it was probably a risk worth taking.