PDA

View Full Version : Spring Football Update

8timechamps
4/4/2012, 08:40 PM
Thought I would pass along some updates (as reported by Jake Trotter on ESPNU):

Sounds more and more like Trey Metoyer not only has a chance to play next season, but start. I asked Jay Norvell point blank if Metoyer could make that leap, and he didn't hesitate to say yes. Bob Stoops also said Metoyer could make the same kind of impact that Kenny Stills did as a true freshman. He'll be the one to watch in the spring game.

Landry Jones said he went to visit QB guru George Whitfield to work on his footwork in the pocket and to elevate the point at which he holds the ball in the pocket. He said Whitfield really helped him in those two areas.

It sounds like Lamar Harris is 1 and Joe Powell 1A in the fight for the starting CB job. Stoops didn't rule out the possibility of Aaron Colvin being moved there eventually, either, especially with the way Javon Harris has bounced back this spring at safety.
Gabe Lynn is getting a lot of work at safety and is doing well.

Blake Bell hasn't practiced at TE since the first week of camp.

Jones said Roy Finch/Brennan Clay/Trey Millard/Danzel Williams were the MVPs of the scrimmage Saturday.

Very interesting information about the secondary. Haven't heard much about Lamar Harris since he saw a lot of action in 2010. Sounds like he's impressing the coaching staff enough to get an early look at the vacant corner spot (and it's awesome to see Powell doing well. Finding a way to contribute).

Also interesting about Gabe Lynn. I know he'll probably never live down the Tech disaster in some fan's minds, but I think he is a talented kid and could certainly benefit from Mike joining the staff.

Otherwise, mostly stuff we'd already heard about.

LVSOONER15
4/4/2012, 09:02 PM
Whats up with Colvin? He was pretty darn good last year.

8timechamps
4/4/2012, 09:12 PM
Whats up with Colvin? He was pretty darn good last year.

As far as I've been able to gather, he's going to be at safety with Jefferson. There is/was talk of him moving to the open corner spot, but if someone can step up and fill that spot, he'll play safety.

olevetonahill
4/4/2012, 09:28 PM
Hows Wheatly doing ?

cccasooner2
4/4/2012, 09:39 PM
Hows Wheatly doing ?

Heard the brain surgery went well and he should be ready to go come fall.

LVSOONER15
4/4/2012, 10:50 PM
As far as I've been able to gather, he's going to be at safety with Jefferson. There is/was talk of him moving to the open corner spot, but if someone can step up and fill that spot, he'll play safety.

Thanks. I think Colvin will be alot better than Harris at safety.

8timechamps
4/4/2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks. I think Colvin will be alot better than Harris at safety.

I think the strating D will look something like this:

DE King / Chaz Nelson
DT McGee / McFarland / Wade Phiilips
DT Walker / McFarland / Jordan Wade
DE Washington / Geno Grissiom

OLB Nelson
MLB Wort
OLB Ibiloye

CB Hurst
CB Lamar Harris / Joe Powell / Kass Everret

FR Jefferson
SS Colvin

LVSOONER15
4/5/2012, 08:45 AM
I think our DBs will actually be a strength this year. Hopefully no more big plays being given up.

olevetonahill
4/5/2012, 08:53 AM
Im Plum Shamed :dispirited:
I were Drankin a Tad

I meant Whaley. Any werd on how hes doing ?

starclassic tama
4/5/2012, 10:45 AM
I think the strating D will look something like this:

DE King / Chaz Nelson
DT McGee / Wade Phiilips
DT McFarland / Jordan Wade
DE Washington / Geon Grissiom

OLB Nelson
MLB Wort
OLB Ibiloye

CB Hurst
CB Lamar Harris / Joe Powwell / Kass Everret

FR Jefferson
SS Culvinwhy isn't walker in your 2-deep? i think he is the best one out of the bunch if he is healthy

BoulderSooner79
4/5/2012, 03:21 PM
I think our DBs will actually be a strength this year. Hopefully no more big plays being given up.

Even the best DBs give up big plays, just a matter of how often.

cccasooner2
4/5/2012, 03:35 PM
I were Drankin a Tad

We're all too drunk to respond.

SoonerSpock
4/5/2012, 03:39 PM
Even the best DBs give up big plays, just a matter of how often.

Absolutely! Today's pass happy spread offense are going to hit some home runs. The goal has to be keep them at a minimum. In my opinion, which with $2 won't buy a good cup of coffee at McDonald's, we need to reduce the bombs to about 2/3 of what we gave up last year.

8timechamps
4/5/2012, 04:42 PM
why isn't walker in your 2-deep? i think he is the best one out of the bunch if he is healthy

Just a total brain fart. He should be!

I'll edit the original post.

8timechamps
4/5/2012, 04:44 PM
I were Drankin a Tad

The last I heard (a week or so ago) was that he was ahead of schedule and running in practice. He wasn't in the scrimmage last Saturday, nor will he be in the Red/White game, but should be back to 100% for summer ball.

8timechamps
4/5/2012, 04:46 PM
Read today that Jay Norvell has been very impressed with Trey Franks this spring. He said that Franks has made "tremendous" progress over the past couple of weeks.

Franks has the talent to be as good as anyone on the team, and I think he realized that the total level of talent went up with the addition of Metoyer and the 2012 recruiting class. He probably realized that he needed to step it up if he was going to see playing time. Could be someone to watch for the slot position if he continues to improve.

nativesooner
4/5/2012, 04:54 PM
Hows Wheatly doing ?

Dom's doing well. Said they are being cautious with the ankle and will be ready in August! He's also gotten stronger, though I thought he was pretty strong last year too?

cccasooner2
4/5/2012, 05:40 PM
Only one had the method I would have used in this drill. Only one used it in every instance. What is wrong with what I saw and why?

http://www.soonersports.com/allaccess/index.html?media=314441

cccasooner2
4/5/2012, 06:55 PM
I must be nuts but I think TJ is the worst technique guy in this drill. :D

http://www.soonersports.com/allaccess/index.html?media=314445

8timechamps
4/5/2012, 08:32 PM
I must be nuts but I think TJ is the worst technique guy in this drill. :D

http://www.soonersports.com/allaccess/index.html?media=314445

I wouldn't read too much into that. The drill is a contact and release drill, so it's about them getting position (both hand and body) at the point of release. Not to mention I don't think their too worried about how hard TJ works in the Spring.

cccasooner2
4/5/2012, 11:23 PM
SI on a slimmer Landry. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/04/05/landry-jones-oklahoma/index.html#ixzz1rBcBEl5n

LVSOONER15
4/6/2012, 12:06 AM
Good read. Thanks for sharing.

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 12:34 AM
I were Drankin a Tad

?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/Tab_can.jpg/220px-Tab_can.jpg

cccasooner2
4/12/2012, 06:52 PM
Nice to see Colvin doing the change of direction drill in today's videos. :)