PDA

View Full Version : What do Yall think?

olevetonahill
4/3/2012, 02:06 PM
I think the Dude just had a mental Breakdown, and shouldnt even be in jail to start with. Yet the DA wants to hold him with out bail.
Thats ****ed up. IMHO he needs to be in a hospital.

http://news.yahoo.com/prosecutors-want-jetblue-captain-held-without-bond-154447134.html

MsProudSooner
4/3/2012, 02:13 PM
Mental breakdown or something like insulin shock is what I first thought of. I have a friend whose mother died of cancer - started in the lung and metastized to the brain. She called her daughter at work one day and told her she was watching the cowboys round up cattle in front yard. Total hallucination caused by the brain tumor.

olevetonahill
4/3/2012, 02:20 PM
No clue what caused it, But He dont need to be jailed.

StoopTroup
4/3/2012, 03:18 PM
Depends on what his drug screen reveals. If he was flying on medication that would ground him as a pilot then he should be in jail. If it was a reaction to something he can legally take as a pilot and didn't break the NTSB or FAA rules for personal responsibility or intentionnally risk the lives of people on that flight then he should remain in the Hospital until he is out of danger personally.

Im thinking you are going to find out that he not only did this intentionally and broke rules that he will face penalties and jail time.

olevetonahill
4/3/2012, 03:22 PM
So in other words Hes Guilty till proven innocent?
Just another rush to judgement IMHO.

StoopTroup
4/3/2012, 03:57 PM
That's the way it works whether you like it or not Vet. If you are a pilot....you don't do drugs

olevetonahill
4/3/2012, 03:59 PM
That's the way it works whether you like it or not Vet. If you are a pilot....you don't do drugs
Thats what Im talkin about Bro
Where is any PROOF that he did anything?

AS much as you were around AC you know as well as anyone that is one hell of a stressful job

StoopTroup
4/3/2012, 04:03 PM
I think I heard he was at least taking Flexeril. Here are the severe reactions that flexeril can give you on it's own. Now imagine he shouldn't have flown on flexeril. If it's on the list of things you aren't supposed to take which I believe it is....then he's going to jail

Depression
Severe

Yellowing of Skin or Eyes from Liver Problems
Severe

Toxic Effect on Brain or Spinal Cord Function
Severe

Abnormal Heart Rhythm
Severe

Bronchospasm
Severe

Hepatitis
Severe

Blockage of Normal Bile Flow
Severe

Inflammation of Skin caused by an Allergy
Severe

Itching
Severe

Hives
Severe

Feeling Faint
Severe

Uncoordinated
Severe

Rash
Severe

Fast Heartbeat
Severe

Trouble Breathing
Severe

Difficult or Painful Urination
Severe

Life Threatening Allergic Reaction
Severe

Giant Hives
Severe

Reaction due to an Allergy
Severe

Confused

olevetonahill
4/3/2012, 04:06 PM
I think Ill wait till the Tox report comes out if ya dont mind.

StoopTroup
4/3/2012, 04:09 PM
now lets say he was just flying and dead heading to pickup a flight he was going to fly....maybe he could avoid jail by saying he took it because his back was spazing and was going to take himself off the available list once he was off the flight. However....it sounds to me like he was flying and he struggled with the flight crew and then went on to scare the hell out of everyone on the flight.

Jail. Maybe a good attorney can keep him out of prison.

StoopTroup
4/3/2012, 04:10 PM
I think Ill wait till the Tox report comes out if ya dont mind.

You do know he has to admit to what he took before the Tox report right? If his report comes back with other stuff....he'll probably do prison time.

He's admitted to a few drugs already. Now we are just trying to find out if he's a liar. Flexeril was one of the drugs he said he had taken.

StoopTroup
4/3/2012, 04:13 PM
He should have declared himself unavailable by the looks of things.

StoopTroup
4/3/2012, 04:21 PM
Here is a list from Pilot Medical Solutions that help Pilots make good decisions regarding their medicines.

http://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm

I don't see Flexeril on the list and I seriously doubt you can fly on Muscle Relaxers

Anti-Inflammatory & Arthritis - The following medications are usually FAA approved provided there are no side effects and the condition being treated does not preclude safe performance of flight duties:

Acetaminophen
Advil (Ibuprofen)
Aleve (Naproxen Sodium)
Ansaid
Arava (Leflunomide)
Arthrotec (Diclofenac)
Asacol (Mesalamine)
Aspirin
Azulfidine (Sulfasalazine)
Celebrex (Celecoxib)
Cataflam (Diclofenac Sodium)
Daypro (Oxaprozin)
Dolobid (Diflunisal)
Elmiron (Pentosan)
Enbrel (Etanercept)
Feldene (Piroxicam)
Ibuprofen
Imuran (Azothioprine)
Indocin (Indomethacin)
Lodine (Etodalac)
Meclofenamate (Meclofenamic Acid)
Mediprin
Methotrexate (not approved for cancer)
Mobic (Meloxicam)
Motrin (Ibuprofen)
MotrinIB (Ibuprofen)
Naprosyn (Naproxen Sodium)
Naproxen (Naproxen Sodium)
Orudis (Ketoprofen)
Oruvail (Ketoprofen)
Plaquenil - May affect vision. FAA approval requires an eye evaluation
Relafen (Nabumetone)
Remicade (Infliximab)
Rheumatrex (Methotrexate, not approved for cancer)
Synvisc (Hylan G-F 20) Injections may be approved on a case by case basis
Tylenol (Acetaminophen)
Toradol (Ketorolac Tromethamine)
Trexall (Methotrexate not approved for cancer)
Voltaren (Diclofenac Sodium)

8timechamps
4/3/2012, 05:13 PM
From that article:

He was taken to an Amarillo hospital for a medical evaluation and remained there for several days. He is now being held at Randall County Jail pending the Thursday hearing.

I'm assuming he was thoroughly examined. I don't know the ins and outs of the legal system (maybe some of the SO attorneys can chime in), but it seems like if they discovered something (like insulin related, or some other unforeseen event), that bail would have been set. I may be pulling that out of my *** though.

StoopTroup
4/3/2012, 05:26 PM
I'd say they are awaiting the Tox Report and deciding which Federal Charges they are going to hit him with.

As far as bail is concerned and how long they can hold him without charging him, that indeed is something the Authorities are probably working on. I just think he wouldn't be in jail if he hadn't done anything wrong.

I bet he's in big trouble. Ya'll remember the Flight Attendant that chugged a beer then pulled the. Slide and said "See Ya!"?

He got hammered too and I know they could have claimed job stress. Thing is what happens to an airline's liability if they put folks like this back at work and they later kill someone?

usmc-sooner
4/3/2012, 07:04 PM
man that's a lot of pill knowledge. One question since Hep is a blood disease how do muscle relaxers give you Hep?

Blue
4/3/2012, 08:59 PM
Here is a list from Pilot Medical Solutions that help Pilots make good decisions regarding their medicines.

http://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm

I don't see Flexeril on the list and I seriously doubt you can fly on Muscle Relaxers

Anti-Inflammatory & Arthritis - The following medications are usually FAA approved provided there are no side effects and the condition being treated does not preclude safe performance of flight duties:

Acetaminophen
Advil (Ibuprofen)
Aleve (Naproxen Sodium)
Ansaid
Arava (Leflunomide)
Arthrotec (Diclofenac)
Asacol (Mesalamine)
Aspirin
Azulfidine (Sulfasalazine)
Celebrex (Celecoxib)
Cataflam (Diclofenac Sodium)
Daypro (Oxaprozin)
Dolobid (Diflunisal)
Elmiron (Pentosan)
Enbrel (Etanercept)
Feldene (Piroxicam)
Ibuprofen
Imuran (Azothioprine)
Indocin (Indomethacin)
Lodine (Etodalac)
Meclofenamate (Meclofenamic Acid)
Mediprin
Methotrexate (not approved for cancer)
Mobic (Meloxicam)
Motrin (Ibuprofen)
MotrinIB (Ibuprofen)
Naprosyn (Naproxen Sodium)
Naproxen (Naproxen Sodium)
Orudis (Ketoprofen)
Oruvail (Ketoprofen)
Plaquenil - May affect vision. FAA approval requires an eye evaluation
Relafen (Nabumetone)
Remicade (Infliximab)
Rheumatrex (Methotrexate, not approved for cancer)
Synvisc (Hylan G-F 20) Injections may be approved on a case by case basis
Tylenol (Acetaminophen)
Toradol (Ketorolac Tromethamine)
Trexall (Methotrexate not approved for cancer)
Voltaren (Diclofenac Sodium)

What does your scrip have to do with anything? Ha. Badum-clang.

yermom
4/4/2012, 08:57 AM
there are things you don't talk about on airplanes.

if i did what he did, i'd likely be in about as much hot water, i'm thinking

olevetonahill
4/4/2012, 09:04 AM
there are things you don't talk about on airplanes.

if i did what he did, i'd likely be in about as much hot water, i'm thinking
This is True, But he wasnt just Talking. Dude was outa his Mind.
Where ST comes up that he was on Drugs I aint got a clue. I have not seen anything about that.

Maybe he gets better news than the rest of us.

olevetonahill
4/5/2012, 05:48 AM
Judge orders a psych exam
Still NO mention of any drugs

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-orders-psych-exam-jetblue-captain-001326084.html

StoopTroup
4/5/2012, 02:09 PM
This is True, But he wasnt just Talking. Dude was outa his Mind.
Where ST comes up that he was on Drugs I aint got a clue. I have not seen anything about that.

Maybe he gets better news than the rest of us.

The news. They said he admitted to taking some meds. If I'm wrong it's because they misreported it. From being told he was on these meds you then follow the logical path. When there is an "In Air Incident" there is usually an investigation. Now...I don't know if he's a Union Pilot or not. If he's a Union Pilot there is a possibility he'll get a chance to go into a drug rehab if he admits to taking the meds inappropriately. If what he took was OK and he didn't have a reaction to the Meds and it was some sort of mental breakdown....maybe they will get him some help. If it's a breakdown, I'd think he's going to be grounded until a Doctor signs off on his stability. If I were him....I'd think a reaction to meds is a much better way to go. With the Psych Test, He'll probably end up disabled and his career as a Pilot is in jeopardy.

I know you feel for this guy but his actions aren't what you want to see from a Commercial Airline Pilot.

I hate to see this happen as he didn't make Captain without lots of time as Co-Pilot and at 49 years of age....he still has quite a long time left in the #1 Seat as Captain. I hate that the news isn't calling him Capt. Clayton Osbon. Until he's done with the investigation I think he deserves the respect he's earned as a Captain.

Also....lots of Pilots have served in our Military. If he's a Veteran who flew Combat Flights...I would think the Military would have intervened and maybe some PTSD would have come up as his rants would seem to have some bearing if he had flown Combat Missions(?). Maybe Homey or some others qualified or able to comment can shed some light on that issue? I know I've run into it at my workplace with some guys who have served and they were given treatment and then returned to work a few months later. Thing is...they weren't Commercial Airline Pilots.

StoopTroup
4/5/2012, 02:20 PM
This article talks about Drugs, Stimulants and PTSB and goes as far to talk about testing him for some things. I know that prior to being tested under NTSB/FAA Rules when you are involved in a "In Air Incident" there is usually a drug test and admitting to what you may have taken that is on the No-No List is pretty standard. If you knowingly took something you shouldn't have and test positive...your future in the Aviation Industry is a high risk. I'd imagine the Doctors asked him what he had in his system prior to the test.

While hospitalized Osbon is expected to undergo toxic screening, including blood counts to make sure he has no infection, vital signs to see if his temperature is within normal ranges and a neurological exam that might include a scan of the brain, according to McCann.
"A brain tumor could do this," she said of his erratic behavior.
"They will also investigate things that can impact the central nervous system, like drugs," said McCann. "Drugs prescribed over the counter, and, in particular sleep deprivation, can turn someone over the edge."
Doctors will also look for use of stimulants for a potential toxic reaction. "Pilots often have weird shift work," according to McCann, and stimulant abuse is said to be prevalent.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/jet-blue-pilot-deeper-problems-panic-attack-medical/story?id=16019970#.T33vKdkfinB

StoopTroup
4/5/2012, 02:22 PM
Here's another.

Federal investigators and JetBlue officials poring over Osbon's medical records are expected to look for clues as to whether medications, or their side effects, might be an issue in the case, or whether the incident is attributable to a rare case of psychosis or other mental aberration not previously diagnosed.
Experts unconnected with the investigation say several pharmacological issues under scrutiny within the airline industry are likely to get attention in the Osbon case, including the side effects of medicines that pilots sometimes use to fight fatigue and depression.
Was Osbon, for instance, among those pilots newly permitted by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) (http://www.csmonitor.com/tags/topic/Federal+Aviation+Administration) to use one of four specific antidepression medications, whose potential side effects are known to include hallucination and panic attacks?
Use of antidepressants had long been considered cause for grounding a commercial pilot. That changed in April 2010, when the FAA announced it would begin to issue medical certificates, or waivers, on a case-by-case basis to "pilots taking medication for mild to moderate depression." Now, pilots taking Prozac (http://www.csmonitor.com/tags/topic/Prozac), Zoloft (http://www.csmonitor.com/tags/topic/Zoloft), Celexa (http://www.csmonitor.com/tags/topic/Celexa), or Lexapro (http://www.csmonitor.com/tags/topic/Lexapro) under doctors’ orders are allowed to fly if they have had successful treatment for 12 months.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/0329/JetBlue-pilot-s-outburst-Could-side-effects-from-medications-be-at-fault

StoopTroup
4/5/2012, 02:23 PM
So maybe I get better news?

yermom
4/5/2012, 02:31 PM
did any of those links mention Flexeril?

StoopTroup
4/5/2012, 03:23 PM
So you need me to find one to back up what I heard on TV?

You know, I get where you guys are coming from and I also understand you deal with some folks on here that are complete dildoes 100% of the time but I have actually spent a fair amount of time with Aviation as my career.

I also believe Dean is right in that if you wait a bit for this process to playout you will find out the truth about a lot of the answers you seem to seek.

This started out about why he's in jail.

Quit wetting your pants because you think what is happening with this guy is wrong. It comes with the territory when you have something like this happen. If he's done nothing wrong, i'm sure he will be released. If he indeed did take Flexeril like The News on TV reported, i'll bet his career with Jet Blue is over and its possible that he might face huge penalties for his actions. It won't happen over night but it might go quicker if the press continues to push for answers. I would image Jet Blue would like to think their problems are over but the way this looks to be going is that the Drugs he took reacted with something that was maybe approved and is still not being 100% bought off by the folks in aviation and those who do medical exams for pilots.

His case may just get blown into something more than what he did was wrong. It might be used as evidence to get some medications removed from the approved list...it might be both.

Give it some time.

Turd_Ferguson
4/5/2012, 04:46 PM
I gotta give the FO credit for locking the dude out of the cockpit...that took some balls.

StoopTroup
4/5/2012, 07:34 PM
I gotta give the FO credit for locking the dude out of the cockpit...that took some balls.

Yep. After 911 when we installed the keypads and lockouts it concentrated mostly on that but this case proves that its good that we have them as there is now another incident where they have come in handy. I did the checks on those systems when the planes come in. Such a simple solution that can keep huge problems from getting worse.

olevetonahill
4/5/2012, 08:18 PM
Greg, May I have a Link to where he said he was on drugs?

Turd_Ferguson
4/5/2012, 08:39 PM
Greg, May I have a Link to where he said he was on drugs?Google "better news"...:D

StoopTroup
4/5/2012, 11:04 PM
What does your scrip have to do with anything? Ha. Badum-clang.

Ahhh....another 100% Dildo

Do they put the batteries in your a$$ to make you vibrate?

StoopTroup
4/5/2012, 11:18 PM
Greg, May I have a Link to where he said he was on drugs?

Can you read? I said I heard it reported on TV.

Now that he has an Attorney I seriously doubt I'll find a statement from him about anything.

The results will help Osbon's attorney, E. Dean Roper, frame his client's defense, said a legal expert interviewed by the Amarillo Globe-News. Roper did not comment to the Amarillo paper.

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/05/11036371-judge-orders-competency-test-for-jetblue-captain-who-had-midair-breakdown

I'll repeat again that I know these things take some time. The FAA doesn't require a Mental Competency Test in these situations but the Judge in the case has now asked for one. I wonder if that's to rule him Competent so they can go after him for criminal charges or because they think like you do that he's got issues. Again...if I were him I darn sure wouldn't want to go with Mental if I wanted to fly anymore but if that's what keeps him out of trouble....he might not have any choice.

Somewhere back in this thread you were waiting for a Tox Report. Did you black that memory out too?

StoopTroup
4/5/2012, 11:20 PM
Google "better news"...:D

heh

StoopTroup
4/5/2012, 11:25 PM
I'm guessing we can rule out PTSD....

Writer Christine S. Lucas, who last year profiled Osbon for a magazine in Savannah, Ga., told FOX News Channel he was very likeable and laidback. She said the 47-year-old "seemed very content about his life and where it was going."
He spoke of a new passion for Wii games, particularly "Wii Bowling," and of his plans to take his 10-year-old grandson, Gabriel, up for his first flight.
"It's disturbing that something got to him at this level," Lucas said.
"Everything that I saw makes this surprising ... the conversation we had was about where life takes you.
"My opinion is that someone who would rant would be in a discontented position; he didn't strike me that way at all -- he seemed very content about his life and where it was going. He didn't seem at all unhappy."
In the article, published in "Richmond Hill Reflections: Guys in the Sky," Osbon said he began to spend time in planes as a youngster with his father.
"I've been instrument-flying since before I could see over the dashboard -- sitting on phone books eventually," he said, referring to the act of navigation by referencing instruments rather than the topography outside.
His father was an electrical engineer and used a plane for business.
"I didn't even know I wanted to do it for a living until the end of my sophomore year in college," Osbon said.
After obtaining a Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Physics from Hawthorne College and Carnegie Mellon University, the Milwaukee native considered doing a stint in the US Navy to fund his flying dreams.
He had hoped the first step to becoming an astronaut would be flying F-14 Tom Cats.

"They weren't issuing any waivers, at the time, for eyesight, and they threw me out on the physical -- on the seventh stage -- for a slight astigmatism in my right eye. That broke my heart a little bit," Osbon said.
Instead he became a flight instructor and lived in France and Portugal for a time, flying the Gulfstream IV.
Now based out of Richmond Hill, Ga., Osbon was hired by JetBlue in 2000 as a Flight Standards Captain to fly its Airbus 320.
In his spare time he flies his L-4 Grasshopper up and down the Georgia Coast -- and finds time for some "Wii Bowling."
However both activities will be curtailed while he is treated in a medical facility, under FBI supervision, following Tuesday's drama -- and he may have to give up the joystick long-term if prosecutors press charges.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/spaced-out-ranting-jetblue-captain-clayton-osbon-dreamed-of-life-as-an-astronaut-ncxdc-032712

StoopTroup
4/5/2012, 11:52 PM
Also....he's in the Hospital like you wanted so you can calm down. It is a Prison Hospital though...LMAO.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57409741/psych-exam-for-jetblue-pilot-new-video-surfaces/

olevetonahill
4/6/2012, 05:17 AM
Can you read? I said I heard it reported on TV.

Now that he has an Attorney I seriously doubt I'll find a statement from him about anything.

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/05/11036371-judge-orders-competency-test-for-jetblue-captain-who-had-midair-breakdown

I'll repeat again that I know these things take some time. The FAA doesn't require a Mental Competency Test in these situations but the Judge in the case has now asked for one. I wonder if that's to rule him Competent so they can go after him for criminal charges or because they think like you do that he's got issues. Again...if I were him I darn sure wouldn't want to go with Mental if I wanted to fly anymore but if that's what keeps him out of trouble....he might not have any choice.

Somewhere back in this thread you were waiting for a Tox Report. Did you black that memory out too?

Can read, Dont read everything you post when you make 5or6 posts in a row and they are short novels.
Jes sayin

texaspokieokie
4/6/2012, 10:19 AM
I think the Dude just had a mental Breakdown, and shouldnt even be in jail to start with. Yet the DA wants to hold him with out bail.
Thats ****ed up. IMHO he needs to be in a hospital.

http://news.yahoo.com/prosecutors-want-jetblue-captain-held-without-bond-154447134.htmlDon't see why he couldn't "bond out".

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 10:39 AM
Can read, Dont read everything you post when you make 5or6 posts in a row and they are short novels.
Jes sayin

I feel bad now. I'll start writing in shorter bursts. Maybe that will help with comprehension.

olevetonahill
4/6/2012, 10:44 AM
I feel bad now. I'll start writing in shorter bursts. Maybe that will help with comprehension.
Maybe just try to stay on Topic, and Not inundate with every thing but the kitchen sink
Thanks

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 10:54 AM
Maybe just try to stay on Topic, and Not inundate with every thing but the kitchen sink
Thanks

If its too hard for you, you have your own message board with its own kitchen sink. Why don't you go hang out over there? There's only two rules there.

olevetonahill
4/6/2012, 10:56 AM
If its too hard for you, you have your own message board with its own kitchen sink. Why don't you go hang out over there? There's only two rules there.
Not hard Bro

Glad to see Phil made you HMFIC here tho

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 11:02 AM
Not hard Bro

Glad to see Phil made you HMFIC here tho

Glad to see you putting words in his mouth.

olevetonahill
4/6/2012, 11:04 AM
Glad to see you putting words in his mouth.

You want a piszin contest pick some one else. I still consider YOU a friend

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 11:08 AM
You want a piszin contest pick some one else. I still consider YOU a friend

You Asked a question. I gave you my opinion. Exactly who created the pissing contest?

texaspokieokie
4/6/2012, 03:03 PM
Where's ole Leroy Lizard when you need him ??

diverdog
4/6/2012, 06:23 PM
did any of those links mention Flexeril?

I took Flexeril for a long time and never had a side affect. That being said altitude can do some strange things. And of course there has always been the loose rule 8 hours bottle to throttle.

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 06:30 PM
there has always been the loose rule 8 hours bottle to throttle.

Bingo.

yermom
4/6/2012, 06:32 PM
I was kinda just poking at ST because he kept responding to requests for links but with links with no reference to what he was being asked for links about

and the times i've been around people on that stuff it seemed pretty hardcore, but they were on something like Vicodin with it too i think

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 07:01 PM
My issue isn't with you Yermom. I still stand by what Dean said in another thread. We get all pissy with each other and in a couple of weeks this will probably shake out. The thing is that the FO is a hero and the Flight Attendant damn sure didn't deserve to get hurt by her Co-Worker.

I hope they find out why a guy with a decent career and great track record went off the reservation.

diverdog
4/6/2012, 07:25 PM
My issue isn't with you Yermom. I still stand by what Dean said in another thread. We get all pissy with each other and in a couple of weeks this will probably shake out. The thing is that the FO is a hero and the Flight Attendant damn sure didn't deserve to get hurt by her Co-Worker.

I hope they find out why a guy with a decent career and great track record went off the reservation.

Troup are you a pilot?

Turd_Ferguson
4/6/2012, 08:00 PM
Criminal complaint (http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/03/28/osbon.complaint.and.affidavit.pdf?hpt=hp_t1) filed by the FBI...dude was off his rocker.

Turd_Ferguson
4/6/2012, 08:02 PM
Bingo.If this guy had been drinking, you'd think the FO, FA's and the passengers restraining him would have smelled it...

olevetonahill
4/6/2012, 08:09 PM
If this guy had been drinking, you'd think the FO, FA's and the passengers restraining him would have smelled it...

Wonder why there was No mention of the Smell of Alcohol Nor Anything about Drugs

8timechamps
4/6/2012, 08:41 PM
Wonder why there was No mention of the Smell of Alcohol Nor Anything about Drugs

Usually that's one of the first things "leaked" to the press in these kind of situation. Guess we'll see eventually.

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 11:53 PM
Troup are you a pilot?
No but the Wife is and we have both worked in Aviation since the 80's.

StoopTroup
4/6/2012, 11:56 PM
If this guy had been drinking, you'd think the FO, FA's and the passengers restraining him would have smelled it...

Not sure where Drinking or alcohol came into this but if you have a link about it...I'd read it.

yermom
4/6/2012, 11:58 PM
Criminal complaint (http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/03/28/osbon.complaint.and.affidavit.pdf?hpt=hp_t1) filed by the FBI...dude was off his rocker.

yeah, like i was saying to Vet, you don't **** around on airplanes

StoopTroup
4/7/2012, 12:20 AM
Usually that's one of the first things "leaked" to the press in these kind of situation. Guess we'll see eventually.

I'm also guessing that once this Pilot got legal advice the whole Drug Test and Alcohol Test becomes a HEPA Problem I think. He has to comply with the tests but I'm not sure his results are public knowledge unless he's convicted of a crime (?)...(I'm guessing because I've never had this problem or known anyone that did that involved the National Media), usually it kind of stays in-house and if someone has a problem they take some time off, go to rehab, go into Alcoholics Anonymous or NA or they get fired or they take their test go back to work because they passed the test just fine. This guy was recorded on video as Captain of the flight and the FO and everyone on the flight is a witness to his incident. It's not something any of us in Aviation sees and usually not anything people on a flight see....especially all of America that pay attention to the news.

I know what usually happens with "In Air Incidents" as they are recorded and the findings are usually public record as the rules governing them are Federal Law. You can probably do some research to try and find some similar incident but I bet other than that Flight Attendant for Jet Blue chugging a beer in front of everyone and then pulling the escapoe slide to leave the aircraft....there isn't much. I do remember the one that folks in the Hub had watched a couple of pilots sit in the Airport Bar and get hammered and then proceed to go fly their flight they were waiting for. I think that was at least 10 years ago and I think at least one of them were fired.

I think that if any Pilots for one of the Majors had gotten caught with a positive on one of their random tests that the Airline decides how to handle it. The rules I've read show that the FAA require these tests and they give the Company a bit of leeway on how to handle discipline. Say a Pilot got a positive for MJ....he might be suspended to fly for 60 days maybe go through rehab and then once he's back flying....he could have to call in everyday when he's working to find out if the Company wanted to give him another Random test. He might just get fired if he says he never smoked it and refused to accept help/discipline or whatever else they might offer him. I know it's supposed to be pretty hush hush as they don't usually want everyone he works with thinking he's got a problem if he's willing to get help but when one of your co-workers tells you he just got called in for a drug test and then he takes a month off....what are you to think? Most guys admit to being really stupid...ask for forgiveness and support and if they stay clean they never have another problem. I've heard these FAA Randoms catch way less than 1% of the people who are required to take them so IMO that means most folks in Aviation do a darn good job of keeping drugs out of their lives or they do a darn good job of not getting caught. I'd like to think they do a darn good job of keeping it out of their lives and that this guy is going to get some help if it's drugs or if it's a real mental condition or even a food allergy or whatever they decide it was. I think a lot of folks think that these tests I'm talking about are know to those who are required to take them but they aren't. They are blind lotteries done from a pick of the entire employees that fall under these rules for testing. Once you are presented with the paperwork to go take the test....you have a very short period of time to get it done and if you refuse to test or try to say "I'll just come in tomorrow and take it....that won't workout to well for you. It's serious business and it goes with the territory when you work in Aviation.

Blue
4/7/2012, 12:35 AM
Whats up Stoop? You are a ****in moron right? Come get some, dork.

StoopTroup
4/7/2012, 01:11 AM
Funny.

Blue
4/7/2012, 01:25 AM
[QUOTE=StoopTroup;3468456]Funny.[/QUOTE

StoopTroup
4/7/2012, 01:40 AM
Heh

In the words of the late great Bernie Mac......."you know, I don't really have a problem if you don't like me because I like me".

Turd_Ferguson
4/7/2012, 06:38 AM
Not sure where Drinking or alcohol came into this but if you have a link about it...I'd read it.Really? DD just posted about the 8hr rule of bottle to throttle and you said bingo...remember?

Flagstaffsooner
4/7/2012, 07:16 AM
As far as the insulin thing, type 1 diabetitics cannot fly.

Flagstaffsooner
4/7/2012, 07:18 AM
Really? DD just posted about the 8hr rule of bottle to throttle and you said bingo...remember?Its been changed to 12 hrs. Somebody forgot to tell Mesa Air (UsAir).

Turd_Ferguson
4/7/2012, 07:30 AM
No but the Wife is and we have both worked in Aviation since the 80's.Is she left seat or a gear puller?

Blue
4/7/2012, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=Blue;3468451]QUOTE]

olevetonahill
4/7/2012, 11:49 AM
I still think he should be in the Hospital NOT Jail. Not a Prison Hospital

Any one who thinks he will EVER be behind the controls of a commercial Flight again is more whacked than he is .

StoopTroup
4/7/2012, 01:07 PM
Is she left seat or a gear puller?

Helicopter. Also growing up her Uncle was owner of the Haskell, OK Airport. He father and Mother were both accomplished pilots and after her Mother died at 50 yrs old of a brain tumor she felt like she should go and get her pilot's license. An opportunity to do that in a helicopter came around and I helped her to realize that dream. When she was younger (18) the summer before she went to college she took ground school lessons and flew but never soloed. I think that bothered after her Mom died so we figured out a way to make that dream come true.

Looking back i wish she would have done it in a fixed wing as she isn't going to go on to flying commercially in choppers as the School she went to went bankrupt and quite frankly she came around to the idea that helicopters are dangerous and much more difficult to fly than fixed wing and as a Mother of two great kids she decided to clip her own wings. There's times she misses it and other times she's glad both feet are firmly placed on the ground. From stories she tells me about her Mom she gets that from her as she also wasn't always comfortable flying.

Turd_Ferguson
4/7/2012, 01:33 PM
I still think he should be in the Hospital NOT Jail. Not a Prison Hospital

Any one who thinks he will EVER be behind the controls of a commercial Flight again is more whacked than he is .I'm witcha, but if he's union...you know how that **** can turn out...

StoopTroup
4/7/2012, 02:01 PM
You just never know how this is gonna end.

I'd say until things start to lead toward a non-violent or non-malicious act as far as Homeland Security is concerned they will detain him. I'd also bet that the reason he's in a Prison Hospital is because if he wasn't, he could probably bond out and given the things he said about Iraq, Al Queda and everyone on the plane dying, he's being held by Homeland Security under these pretenses and Homeland Security is backed up by a Judge who seems concerned enough that he not let an accomplished pilot who had said terrorist type things on a commercial airliner....go free to walk the streets of America Post 9-11-01.

jk the sooner fan
4/7/2012, 03:18 PM
unless they've completely revamped/re-written the CFR that regulates pilots since I left the FAA.....here's my 2 cents

the CFR that regulates pilot behavior with respect to medication, etc - is not a criminal statute - there is no "jail sentence" from that CFR....there are however, criminal statutes in play......both the DOJ and the FAA can approach this thing in a two pronged approach - serving both the criminal side as well as the regulatory side

i think there are two possible scenarios at play here

1. he wigged out mentally -
2. he was on some mind altering substance

you can insert other scenarios if you wish - but i think its fair to say those are two themes at play

people get arrested/jailed on probable cause all the time....i think in this instance there is such a thing...what his true intention/motivations were at the time - we dont know - but we do know that he (in whatever state of mind you wish to put him in) talked about taking down a commercial airliner and likely ending the lives of all on board

so yeah - i'm perfectly ok if they've got him locked up in a hospital somewhere....i'm fairly positive he's got doctors tending to him where he is and they'll figure out as much as they can. it doesnt matter if he's a union pilot or not - until the FAA flight surgeon that services that CMO says he's fit to fly - he's not getting in a cockpit - and the flight surgeon can/will demand all sorts of stuff for him to comply with before he's found fit

i'm not sure where he would belong if not where he is.......at home? no thanks

its good to see ST is still crazy after alll these years..... :D

oh, and if you took flexiril and had no side effects (i.e. it didnt knock you out flat on your ***) - then you are superhuman......that little five sided pill will kick.your.***.

jk the sooner fan
4/7/2012, 03:20 PM
oh yah -i'm not saying anybody else is wrong or right

thats just my opinion - nothin more nothing less - so if its contrary to yours - dont get your panties in a bunch - its' not personal! :)

olevetonahill
4/7/2012, 04:06 PM
Good points Bro

StoopTroup
4/7/2012, 04:17 PM
If you call having to live under crap loads of Gov't and FAA rules and regulations that you are forced to adhere to for 23 years crazy, them yeah I'm guilty. Thing is, to me, there were trade offs. Getting to walk onto a plane and go anywhere I wanted that the Airline flew was crazy as hell. Carib, Hawaii, Europe, South America, Japan. Imagine having that at your beckon call on your downtime or vacation. It didnt suck.

Life...you take the good with the bad. Funny thing is, i'm not the one in a mental ward right now. The good Captain some of you feel sorry for is.

jk the sooner fan
4/7/2012, 04:29 PM
i dont think thats what makes you "guilty" ;)

besides, nobody forced you to do anything - thats a career field you CHOSE

Jammin'
4/9/2012, 03:21 PM
awesome read fellas. here's hoping they figure out what the heck went wrong with the guy and get him some help.

achiro
4/9/2012, 04:16 PM
Was he saying he was going to take the plane down or "they" were going to? I honestly haven't paid that close attention to this.

olevetonahill
4/9/2012, 04:18 PM
Was he saying he was going to take the plane down or "they" were going to? I honestly haven't paid that close attention to this.

Id have to re read every thing , But I dont think he was making threats, Seems he was feeling threatened

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2012, 04:59 PM
i cant remember what he said exactly either - but it was troubling enough that the FO locked him out of the cockpit

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2012, 09:31 PM
Pilots these days should be held to the strictest forms of testing When it comes to drugs. They have so many lives in their hands that they should be completely sober because they have so many lives in their hands. We don't Need Maverick in the cockpit of a 747 who is probably high on Robitussin or Quaaludes doing barrel roles and buzzing the tower. Wouldn't it be funny seeing Maverick as the pilot and Kareem Abdul Jabaar as his copilot? Kareem's knees would be hitting the yoke during the barrel roles lol. Speaking of the moving Airplane, do you really think you have to give "Air Head" to an inflatable automatic pilot? That would be weird to Put a plastic penis in your mouth lol. I gave air head to the Mrs. when she was piloting the helicopter. It was difficult to pull the pants down and her control the stick, but thank goodness she has a penis because if she had a vagina that would be tough to get after when she was sitting down lol.

Hoookay then.

StoopTroup
4/9/2012, 10:22 PM
It was kinda of like "We're all gonna die and him trying to open the door of the aircraft at 29,000 feet. It's impossible to open it but most folks dont know it so he was scari
g the hell out of folks. Not your typical action from the pilot you hope is stable and tryi
g to give you a nice ride to your destination.

olevetonahill
7/3/2012, 08:36 PM
Seems the Judge agrees with my original assessment the dude had a Mental breakdown, jet Blue still has him on the Payroll inactive.
Hope fully now this guy can start to try to heal with out every one wanting to lock him up for 20 years

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/disruptive-jetblue-airways-pilot-ruled-not-guilty-reason-001617145.html

Turd_Ferguson
7/3/2012, 08:56 PM
I thought about this thread when I read that story earlier today...I was just too damn lazy to dredge it up. Maybe this will be enough to get ST to posting again...:watermelon:

olevetonahill
7/3/2012, 08:59 PM
I thought about this thread when I read that story earlier today...I was just too damn lazy to dredge it up. Maybe this will be enough to get ST to posting again...:watermelon:
Doubt it, He changed his sig to something like "Retired SF Poster" or some ****
But he sure did want to try to argue this dude into prison.