PDA

View Full Version : New school lunch guidelines - good or bad? Appropriate or government overreach?

TitoMorelli
4/2/2012, 08:06 AM
http://middletownpress.com/articles/2012/04/01/news/doc4f780090b37b3855481492.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Beginning next school year, students across the country may be in for a shock when they purchase their lunch in the cafeteria.

In an effort to fight childhood obesity and diabetes, the federal government is requiring students of all ages to buy at least one serving of fresh fruit or vegetable for lunch. Even if they toss the produce into the garbage.

Fresh fruit and vegetable portions will double next year. “Some students don’t take one now, but they will have to,” Eileen Faustich, ****ord’s food services director, said Friday. “We can’t let a child go by the cashier without a fruit or vegetable on their tray.”

There’s more, a lot more, in the Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act.

Next year, students can buy only nonfat flavored milk or 1 percent white milk. Half of the grains must be “whole” next year. In 2013-14, all products must be whole grain. School cafeterias must offer green and orange leafy vegetables, and drastically reduce sodium use over the next three years. Trans-fats are banned.

If a student refuses to take the fruit or vegetable, the cafeteria employees will have to charge an a la carte fee, which typically is higher because the lunch will not be reimbursable under federal guidelines.

The federal mandate will result in extra costs for municipalities nationwide. Federal officials estimate there will be a 30-cent increase in lunch prices, and the government will provide another 6-cent reimbursement.

It may be difficult for local school districts to not raise lunch prices, food service officials predict.

State Department of Education spokesman James Polites said if a student next year declined to take a fresh fruit or vegetable, the school system cannot claim the lunch for federal reimbursement.

Seymour Food Services Director Cindy Brooks, who is in the national School Nutrition Association and is chairwoman of its public policy and legislative committee, said Friday she is “excited” by the new guidelines.

“It’s an excellent opportunity for all schools to be on the same playing field,” Brooks said. “Here in Connecticut, we’ve been offering a lot of healthy foods already. There is a concern this will increase our costs, but it’s the right thing to do.”

Connecticut Association of Boards of Education Policy Director Vin Mustaro said the impetus for the federal program is to combat childhood obesity, and to tackle childhood hunger.

“We’re seeing a rise in preventable diseases like heart and diabetes,” Mustaro said. “We can’t leave this unaddressed.”

He said if the country doesn’t get a handle on childhood obesity now, “we may have a generation with a shorter life span than their parents.”

But Mustaro said just because the policy may make sense from a health standpoint, it doesn’t mean there won’t be issues. “Any time you replace something or remove something, people will have resistance,” Mustaro said.

The state Department of Education is offering training this spring to prepare cafeteria workers for the “comprehensive changes,” Mustaro said.

Parents have differing views on whether the mandate is appropriate.

Joseph Meade of ****ord summarized the feelings of many parents who commented on Facebook.

“It is with good intention, but I believe that (the) government has overstepped its boundaries and is sticking Uncle Sam’s nose where only Aunt Sally should be allowed,” Meade said. “You can’t protect people from themselves. That’s not governing, that’s dictating. ... Big Brother!” Continued...

Denise Vincelette Van Hise of Orange wrote, “While I think this is a great idea, it is an intrusion into people’s rights.

“The government is not supposed to tell us what to do. What’s next? Too much government is NOT a good thing,” she wrote.

But Jenifer Blemings of New Haven wrote she thinks it’s a “great idea,” and Marquise Pinnock wrote that he, too, supports the new mandate.

“It encourages children to eat healthy as well as fight the good fight against childhood obesity,” Pinnock, a native of New Haven, wrote.

(sidenote - can you believe that the "filter" on this site is actually taking the M-I-L-F out of "M.i.l.f.o.r.d. CT?)

Curly Bill
4/2/2012, 08:11 AM
I think it's a wasted effort - kids are gonna eat what they're gonna eat.

Curly Bill
4/2/2012, 08:12 AM
...and yeah, this smacks of more nanny state.

OULenexaman
4/2/2012, 08:17 AM
Oh goody goody.....Michelle Obama gets a law passed that she wrote.

olevetonahill
4/2/2012, 08:30 AM
A lot of food gonna go to waste
This will cost the working Moms an Dads more and then the Taxpayers are gonna pick up all the Extra cost of those "Free" lunches

yermom
4/2/2012, 08:30 AM
Next year, students can buy only nonfat flavored milk or 1 percent white milk. Half of the grains must be “whole” next year. In 2013-14, all products must be whole grain. School cafeterias must offer green and orange leafy vegetables, and drastically reduce sodium use over the next three years. Trans-fats are banned.

those sound like good ideas. forcing them to take fruits and vegetables they don't want, not so much.

and i guess big corn wouldn't let them ban HFCS ;)

SoonerAtKU
4/2/2012, 09:04 AM
It's not about forcing them to eat the good stuff, it's about NOT allowing the bad stuff. That's the problem, and the fruit and vegetable mandate won't mean anything if they're also chugging down a 20 oz. Coke.

OULenexaman
4/2/2012, 10:04 AM
A lot of food gonna go to waste
This will cost the working Moms an Dads more and then the Taxpayers are gonna pick up all the Extra cost of those "Free" lunches hey......you implying the US gubamint can't run an efficient lunch program?;)

olevetonahill
4/2/2012, 10:09 AM
hey......you implying the US gubamint can't run an efficient lunch program?;)
Naw I aint IMPLYING shat. Im just flat out SAYING it :unconscious:

jkjsooner
4/2/2012, 10:22 AM
How many kids get to pay individually for what they eat? In our school the lunch price was a set amount and you chose what you wanted. We were a small school though and there was only one choice for the main dish...

In situations like the above I'd be in favor of forcing kids to take at least one vegetable. Heck, I think our school did that 30 years ago.

However, when the price is not one set price I think it's an overreach to make them buy a vegetable.

The funny thing is that I remember at the younger ages teachers forcing kids to eat their vegetables just as a parent would...

KantoSooner
4/2/2012, 11:32 AM
Are kids allowed to bring their own sack lunches? My mom packed mine until I was old enough to do it. Always better than the dreck the cafeteria served up.

But then some malevolent kid would likely bring the deadly peanut butter and jelly to school, half the kids would go down in respiratory arrest, we'd have to lock down the school until Hazmat could clear the offending toxins away and then we'd have to send in grief counselors to make sure the kids weren't permanently scarred by the experience.

No, better to regulate what they eat.

alternatively: don't we have enough problems that we have to go looking for this one? Fat kids? Send one teacher out with half the kids at 10 a.m. and another one out with the other half at 2 p.m. Give 'em a cattle prod and tell the little bastards to start running laps. You'd have slim, lively kids AND they'd have a shared experience of universally hating two teachers.
Voila: health and espirit d'Corps all in one.

Got a question? Ask me. I'm full of goood ideas.

C&CDean
4/2/2012, 11:44 AM
Fat kids are the by-product of their parents' own ****ty eating habits. Eat McDonald's and drink cokes all the time and you're gonna be fat and so will your kids. The government needs to stay the hell out of it. Unless they wanna start fining parents for teaching their kids to eat crap and become obese.

olevetonahill
4/2/2012, 11:49 AM
And take away all thos dayumed Video games an TeeVee
Make the little bastards go out side and play, Use their imagination to come up with Toys an Games

SCOUT
4/2/2012, 12:02 PM
Send one teacher out with half the kids at 10 a.m. and another one out with the other half at 2 p.m. Give 'em a cattle prod and tell the little bastards to start running laps. You'd have slim, lively kids AND they'd have a shared experience of universally hating two teachers.
They were Coach Seager and Coach Bridwell.

SCOUT
4/2/2012, 12:03 PM
Send one teacher out with half the kids at 10 a.m. and another one out with the other half at 2 p.m. Give 'em a cattle prod and tell the little bastards to start running laps. You'd have slim, lively kids AND they'd have a shared experience of universally hating two teachers.
D'oh

OULenexaman
4/2/2012, 12:04 PM
when I was kid you would have to beat my *** to get me to come inside and watch TV...

olevetonahill
4/2/2012, 12:08 PM
when I was kid you would have to beat my *** to get me to come inside and watch TV...
Thats cause we only had one er 2 stations and Lawrence Welk was on both of em :adoration:

Ton Loc
4/2/2012, 01:10 PM
Hell, with the number of kids on the free lunch program at my kids school, I don't see a problem with it. 75% of the kids get a free lunch, if I'm paying for it or the government is then why not tell them what to eat.

Besides, it would be easier to get rid of all the bad stuff. My kids' school doesn't have a pop machine or a candy machine that the kids can get to.

Turd_Ferguson
4/2/2012, 01:54 PM
Kids used to stay active when they played kick ball, dodge ball and such....no more. Some ***** might get there feelers hurt...We(not me, but as a public) did it...might as well own it.

diverdog
4/2/2012, 05:33 PM
Have you guys actually seen the ****ty food they feed our kids in school? A piece of pizza qualifies as a bread, vegetable, dairy and meat. That is insane. You don't even want to know what is in chicken mcnuggets. The food we are feeding our kids is tantamount to poison.

diverdog
4/2/2012, 05:35 PM
Fat kids are the by-product of their parents' own ****ty eating habits. Eat McDonald's and drink cokes all the time and you're gonna be fat and so will your kids. The government needs to stay the hell out of it. Unless they wanna start fining parents for teaching their kids to eat crap and become obese.

Dean the problem is we are paying for their bad habits through increased health care cost.

AlboSooner
4/2/2012, 10:53 PM
South Park had a recent show that mocked and showed the absurdity of the government when it overreaches in our lives in order to keep us "safe."

KantoSooner
4/3/2012, 08:53 AM
Have you guys actually seen the ****ty food they feed our kids in school? A piece of pizza qualifies as a bread, vegetable, dairy and meat. That is insane. You don't even want to know what is in chicken mcnuggets. The food we are feeding our kids is tantamount to poison.

Not totally disagreeing with you, but I do know (professionally) a number of nutritionists and chef who work for major food companies and also for big school districts. The meals are nutritious and a lot of effort is made to make them interesting. One thing that makes it very hard is that there is literally less than $1 in the whole meal for the producer.

As to nuggets, keep an eye out for an approximately 30% drop in fat. They've figured out an all natural way to block oill uptake during the par-frying operation. It's still not 'heart healthy' dining, but it saves 70-100 calories per serving, and that adds up.

Midtowner
4/3/2012, 10:05 AM
Since the feds subsidize these programs, it's definitely within their power to regulate what goes into the food. Don't like it? Bring a lunchables.

TitoMorelli
4/3/2012, 10:55 AM
Since the feds subsidize these programs, it's definitely within their power to regulate what goes into the food. Don't like it? Bring a lunchables.

Except that the government watchdogs are also sticking their noses into what kind of meals children are bringing from home, and mandating now that some students MUST purchase the school lunch. And instead of following some guideline in making such a decision, it's more often a whim on the part of yet one more overpaid and undereducated "civil servant."