PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania people...

SoonerInFortSmith
4/1/2012, 09:29 PM
Just rolled in to Washington, PA, which is just south of Pittsburgh, this evening. Gonna spend most or all of the next 6 months here working on pipelines.

So for anyone in the know, what are the absolute must see things while I am here? Not gonna have much free time, mostly just in the evenings. But we definitely would like to hit some good restaurants and/or beer joints. So any inside info would be appreciated.

SicEmBaylor
4/1/2012, 09:50 PM
F'n Yankees. To hell with them all.

StoopTroup
4/1/2012, 10:44 PM
^ Nice.

I hope that new Stadium gets washed down the river in a flood as soon as it's done.

http://bettybabick.com/graphics/city07.jpg

Tulsa_Fireman
4/2/2012, 12:51 AM
Just rolled in to Washington, PA, which is just south of Pittsburgh, this evening. Gonna spend most or all of the next 6 months here working on pipelines.

So for anyone in the know, what are the absolute must see things while I am here? Not gonna have much free time, mostly just in the evenings. But we definitely would like to hit some good restaurants and/or beer joints. So any inside info would be appreciated.

You're right close to the first one.

Go check out the 'Burgh at night from Mount Washington. Gorgeous. There's quite a few bars and restaurants right by there, so it's worth it to follow up with a beer or two. If you haven't already, when you do, take Highway 22 into the city. As soon as you come out of the tunnel on the Pittsburgh side, the city, the river, and the lights just explode in your face. Still to this day one of the few jaw-dropping moments of my travels.

Straight out west on 22 across the river in Ohio rests a town that hangs its hat in a number of Mario Puzo novels. The sleepy little mafia-infested town of Steubenville hides just outside its clutches the BEST pizza I have ever wrapped my teeth around. Ever. In ALL my travels. In the small town of Wintersville, just west of Steubenville. Now it's been probably fifteen years since I was there, but you're looking for (in this order) Giannamore's or DiCarlo's, DiCarlo's being the larger of the two (with a few locations) with a similar Sicilian style pan, but not quite the quality of Giannamore's (JEE-anna-mores). It's not the "sicilian" trash you get from some of the joints here in Oklahoma. It's amazing. I'd make the drive from Tulsa if my old lady would let me.

Other than that, I got nothing. I was too busy working my *** off.

SicEmBaylor
4/2/2012, 01:10 AM
^ Nice.

I hope that new Stadium gets washed down the river in a flood as soon as it's done.

http://bettybabick.com/graphics/city07.jpg
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu2/FenrirMX/Cool%20Story%20Bro/Cool_story_broMiley.jpg

SoonerInFortSmith
4/2/2012, 08:54 AM
SicEm and stooptroup you guys are so freakin helpful. Thanks alot. But yeah I hate the Steelers too.

Fireman: thanks alot. Will definitely have to try out the pizza.

C&CDean
4/2/2012, 10:39 AM
Gettysburg. Steel City Brewing Co. A real cheesesteak in Philly. Italian food in Philly.

Mississippi Sooner
4/2/2012, 12:48 PM
A trip to Pittsburgh isn't compete without a trip to the original Primanti Brothers sandwich shop in the Strip District. No, the Strip District isn't what it sounds like. It's basically Pittsburgh's version of Bricktown from back when the rivers were the major mode of transportation. But anyway, Primanti Brothers will put just about anything you want on your sandwich, but then they also add fries and coleslaw right on the sandwich. The place looks pretty much like it always has. Just an old brick building that you actually have to look for, and a long stainless steel counter.

StoopTroup
4/2/2012, 01:23 PM
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu2/FenrirMX/Cool%20Story%20Bro/Cool_story_broMiley.jpg

Damn straight it is. I cast a pox against the Bears.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/2/2012, 01:52 PM
Oh, and unless you're a masochist, don't waste a penny on Iron City beer.

It's like boiled butthole water with a dash of scrotum flakes.

StoopTroup
4/2/2012, 01:53 PM
Oh, and unless you're a masochist, don't waste a penny on Iron City beer.

It's like boiled butthole water with a dash of scrotum flakes.

So it's like Zima? ROTF!

Tulsa_Fireman
4/2/2012, 01:56 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4BU4M5jGGfM/Ts5TnlHWqhI/AAAAAAAABzs/-n4_eDOWsb0/s1600/RimshotBadumtsh.jpg

It's RGIII approved!

StoopTroup
4/2/2012, 02:02 PM
Heh. That Throne has a nice beat.

BillyBall
4/2/2012, 02:57 PM
As my friend from Philly says. "To the West is Pittsburgh, to the East Philly and in between you have Alabama."

Dio
4/2/2012, 04:06 PM
As my friend from Philly says. "To the West is Pittsburgh, to the East Philly and in between you have Alabama."

Ah yes, "Pennsyltucky"

SoonerInFortSmith
4/2/2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks guys.

StoopTroup
4/2/2012, 05:15 PM
Best darn melt in your mouth steak sammies I ever had was from up there all the way to Baltimore where I switched up to crabs. I think I put on 30 lbs in the 16 days I spent up there.

fadada1
4/3/2012, 08:04 PM
come to the east side of the state a few times - philly area. pittsburgh doesn't have a whole lot to offer.

do all the stuff you're supposed to do: liberty bell, independence hall, pat's for cheese steak...

catch a phillies game - great game-day experience. hit chickie and pete's for lunch/dinner. get off the normal sights and wander around old city, have a meal at reading terminal market. if you like food, philly is the place to be. hit the bars on south street. hit the italian restaurants south of south street.

if you're in the area for football season, be sure to head up to a penn state game. be sure to leave enough time for tailgating. for history, definitely stop by gettysburg.

StoopTroup
4/3/2012, 08:29 PM
Go Rick Go!

Go Rick Go!

Go Rick Go!

Go Rick Go!

GDC
4/7/2012, 04:37 PM
I enjoyed the Hershey tour.

SoonerStormchaser
4/7/2012, 05:22 PM
Primanti Brothers

StoopTroup
4/7/2012, 11:56 PM
Primanti Brothers

Are they hawt? :D ;)

SicEmBaylor
4/8/2012, 12:37 AM
Are they hawt? :D ;)
Better question: Are they old?

texaspokieokie
4/8/2012, 08:13 AM
Lots of folks from penn. came to Okmulgee in late 40s or early 50s when they built a glass plant there. (plant is long gone)

On the whole, i'd say they were GOOD people.

StoopTroup
4/8/2012, 02:53 PM
Better question: Are they old?

You looking for the more experienced over the beautiful?

SicEmBaylor
4/8/2012, 03:40 PM
You looking for the more experienced over the beautiful?
Definitely not.

Memtig14
4/11/2012, 09:21 PM
F'n Yankees. To hell with them all.

Yep