PDA

View Full Version : Its good to have Mike Leach back in College Football

Flagstaffsooner
3/29/2012, 11:37 AM
:adoration:Jim Moore: In a battle to the death among Pac-12 mascots, which animal or person wins?

Mike Leach: The Cougar absolutely. Let's go through this a little bit. A cougar obviously kills a duck and a beaver. A cougar against a husky ... that's pretty well a massacre. A cardinal or whatever: I don't know exactly what a cougar would either climb it or I wouldn't want to think of what else he'd do on it. Now Golden Bears could be kinda tough. I think you'd want to be a little fast and loose with them. You don't want to get caught by that bear. The Ute ... you gotta dodge some arrowheads, but I still like the Cougar. Buffalo ... I think the buffalo would be pretty tough to beat. Wildcat: Cougars are bigger than wildcats . Sun Devils, that's mythical anyway. Trojans, they may be as well. I think you gotta look out for the Bruins and the Buffalo. The Golden Bear, Bruin and Buffalo .. I think those are the tough ones.

Moore: Why the Buffalo?

Leach: Do you want to fight a buffalo? I don't know, those buffalo are big. You know, buffalo are significantly bigger than elk. I grew up near Yellowstone so I've been near buffalo. Buffalo are huge. And then the other thing I've always gotten a kick out of: When you play Colorado, there's those buffalo dragging those six handler around. Those handlers aren't dragging the buffalo. The buffalo's dragging him.

Ralphie's not even a big buffalo. Ralphie pulls those people wherever he wants to.

SicEmBaylor
3/29/2012, 11:41 AM
God I miss that crazy sob. College football is just a bit more awesome by having him around.

LVSOONER15
3/29/2012, 11:58 AM
A cardinal or whatever: I don't know exactly what a cougar would either climb it or I wouldn't want to think of what else he'd do on it. .

LOL. Man I love Leach and his quotes. Especially on how to take a girl out in Lubbock.

boomersooner28
3/29/2012, 12:11 PM
L.O.L

Curly Bill
3/29/2012, 12:15 PM
Yes, having Leach back in the spotlight is good and promises some interesting stories.

rainiersooner
3/29/2012, 12:28 PM
Classic.

KantoSooner
3/29/2012, 12:53 PM
It is his world.

The rest of us are just bit part players.

UberSooner
3/29/2012, 01:26 PM
That Leach is at a backwater like WSU just demonstrates once again that college administrations are ESPN's biatchs. No way that guy is not one of the best headcoaching prospects out there. Think UCLA with Leach, it's almost scary.

Flagstaffsooner
3/29/2012, 01:32 PM
That Leach is at a backwater like WSU just demonstrates once again that college administrations are ESPN's biatchs. No way that guy is not one of the best headcoaching prospects out there. Think UCLA with Leach, it's almost scary.The LA media wouldnt underdstand him. The LA Times is so in love with usc they would fry him at UCLA. WSU is a perfect fit.

yermom
3/29/2012, 01:38 PM
ten years ago Wazzou was winning the Pac10

if only Mike Price hadn't decided he liked southeastern strippers better than northwestern ones...

BillyBall
3/29/2012, 02:15 PM

if only Mike Price hadn't decided he liked southeastern strippers better than northwestern ones...

He takes T&E to another level.

85sooners
3/29/2012, 04:00 PM
when will he give usc their first lose

Flagstaffsooner
3/29/2012, 04:38 PM
When...

SOON.

olevetonahill
3/29/2012, 04:48 PM
When...

SOON.

Ya gots to love the Mike.
Wonder if hes gonna have a Pirates deal there ?

Flagstaffsooner
3/29/2012, 05:08 PM
Vikings, I tell you Vikings...

Random quotes
-- "When you consider how big and how long he is ... Travis Long (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/78222/travis-long), Travis Long (giggles like Beavis and Butthead)"
-- "I'll be a little disappointed if we don't have one practice out there in the snow"
-- "These guys up here are vikings ... They'll go out there in shorts and shirts. It doesn't phase them one bit."
-- "One night we were just trying to get familiar with the town, so my wife and I had gone to a movie. So we drive downtown and I'm just curious where my team and charges are hanging out. There's nothing downtown. Downtown's dead. So we drive up College Hill. As we're going up College Hill, shoot there's mini-skirts and hot pants everywhere. So I ask her 'what's the temperature?' I go, 'it's gotta be pretty warm out there, huh?' Thirty-seven degrees! Thirty-seven degrees! I don't what's in the water and exactly how tough these people are. Certainly they didn't need jackets to be necessary at 37 degrees."

BigTip
3/29/2012, 05:20 PM
What other coach would even answer that question?

Good stuff.

8timechamps
3/29/2012, 05:35 PM

It's rolling baby, It's rolling!!!

Flagstaffsooner
3/29/2012, 05:36 PM

Barry Switzer.:tennis:

LASooner
3/30/2012, 04:23 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if WSU wins an upset in Pac 12 next season.

KantoSooner
3/30/2012, 09:06 AM

Barry Switzer.:tennis:

I just had a vision: Troy Aikman doesn't get his leg broken and OU goes to a passing offense a decade earlier than in this dimension. Leach joins Barry's staff as a young snapper-whipper and the King and his pirate laddie torch college football throughout the 90's resulting in Tom Osborne's unfortunate suicide and Schnellenberger's withdrawal into hopeless alcoholism.
Ah! What it could have been. And, in some alternative universe, it is so. I want to go there.

LVSOONER15
3/30/2012, 09:10 AM
Keep them quotes coming!

rekamrettuB
3/30/2012, 09:22 AM
Leach: Do you want to fight a buffalo? I don't know, those buffalo are big. You know, buffalo are significantly bigger than elk. I grew up near Yellowstone so I've been near buffalo. Buffalo are huge. And then the other thing I've always gotten a kick out of: When you play Colorado, there's those buffalo dragging those six handler around. Those handlers aren't dragging the buffalo. The buffalo's dragging him.

Ralphie's not even a big buffalo. Ralphie pulls those people wherever he wants to.

I’ve have always loved the tangents he goes on.

texas bandman
3/30/2012, 02:20 PM
My personal favorite

“[The coaches failed to make] our points more compelling than their fat little girlfriends. Now their fat little girlfriends have some obvious advantages. For one thing, their fat little girlfriends are telling them what they want to hear, which is ‘how great you are’ and ‘how easy its going to be’ and we had a bunch of people who wanted to win the football game but nobody wanted to play the football game.

“That defies every level of work ethic that exists with regard to football. As coaches, we have to solve our failure on reaching them and the players have to listen. I am willing to go to fairly amazing lengths to make that happen. I don’t know if I will be successful this week or not but I am going to try and there will be some people inconvenienced and if it happens to be their fat little girlfriends too bad.”

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/30/2012, 03:22 PM
I SO wanted Leach to have gone to UCLA. Even for him, it won't be very easy to recruit in the Palouse.

Flagstaffsooner
3/31/2012, 04:06 AM
Keep them quotes coming!
NEW ADDITION: On Mike Gundy's "I'm a man...I'm 40!" Rant:
"I'm I'm 47, I still haven't made man"
On players fighting in practice:
"If you get into a fight, don't take your helmet off...We're looking for smart football players, not dumb ones. In the interest of time, don't get into any more fights today."
On the officials in the 2007 Tech-Texas game in Austin:
"It's a little like breakfast; you eat ham and eggs. As coaches and players, we're like the ham. You see, the chicken's involved but the pig's committed. We're like the pig, they're like the chicken. They're involved, but everything we have rides on this."
On his first win with Texas Tech against the New Mexico Lobos:
"It's kind of like doing surgery with a chainsaw instead of a scalpel. We had pieces and parts flying everywhere. It turned out in our favor. We've just got to clean it up the next time around."
More on the New Mexico game:
"Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was an upset wasn't it?"
On beating Texas in 2002, when asked if he regretted not hyping Kliff Kingsbury more:
"I don't even remember what I said. I hope whatever I said was cute and clever, and maybe even a tiny bit humorous. I hope it wasn't mindless babble, and if it was, hopefully everyone will forget about it pretty quick."
On the differences between Lubbock and Wyoming:
''The people are incredibly similar. They're very friendly people here. The weather's nicer here. The mountains are shorter here.''
On his goal of having the defense allow fewer points:
"Well, we're aiming for zero, but I imagine we'll end up somewhere north of that."
On our team's expectations in 2006:
"Well, outside of Lubbock, expectations aren't very high. But it's okay, we play in Lubbock a lot this season"
On Tech fans and Aggie fans (this one seems particularly poignant given all the griping I've heard recently by Texas fans):
"A&M wants to rip on our fans and all that. Our fans are as good as their fans are. One thing our fans don't do is sit around and whine about other teams' fans. A&M spent a significant part of the week whining about what our fans are like."
More on the same:
"It's interesting to me that all these Aggies—whether they're at A&M or here—are sitting around with halos over their heads and they have some divine expertise on fanmanship. I just don't believe that's the case. For the record, I think our fans are better than the Aggie fans."
On the Aggie Corps of Cadets:
"How come they get to pretend they are soldiers? The thing is, they aren't actually in the military. I ought to have Mike's Pirate School. The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you're a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we'll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that."
On "system" quarterbacks:
"If B.J. is a product of the system, then he's not getting any of those touchdown passes and all those yards. That means our coaching staff is," Leach said. "That would also mean we could go down to 7-Eleven and get the clerk behind the counter and let him play quarterback."
On BJ's 661 passing yards against NC State:
"It's better than 660 yards, but not as good as 662 yards."
On the faked field goal against NC State, when asked if it was supposed to be a run or a pass:
"Your guess is as good as mine."
On being asked what bowl game he wanted to go to after his first season at Tech, notching a 7-5 record:
"The Rose Bowl."
On momentum in the first half of the 2001 Alamo Bowl:
"Oh I don't know. We haven't played worth a damn."
On the ninja formation:
"The ninja formation is still lurking around back there, and I would expect to see it sometime in the future. I can't tell you exactly when because that is strictly classified."
On how Tech was going to handle the wind during the 2002 Iowa State game:
"I know that in Ames, Iowa, they fancy themselves being experts on the wind, but in Lubbock, Texas, we'll put our wind up against your wind in Iowa. We practice against it all the time."
On John Harris complementing North Texas:
"I guess so John, but you know...we could tackle somebody and it might make a difference."
On the 2003 team:
"This year's team could beat last year's team's ***."
On upsets:
"Everybody's all surprised every time this stuff happens. It surprises me everybody gets surprised, because it happens every year like this that there are surprises. The most surprising thing would be if there weren't any surprises. So therefore, in the final analysis, none of it's really that surprising."
On running up the score against Nebraska in 2004 (the final as 70-10):
"The interesting thing about football is that football is the only sport where you quit playing when you get a lead. In golf, you keep trying to score well when you’re ahead.

"In basketball, they don’t quit shooting when they’re ahead. In hockey, they don’t quit shooting when they’re ahead. In boxing, you don’t quit punching when you’re ahead. But in football, somehow magically, you’re supposed to quit playing when you’re ahead. Well, I don’t subscribe to that. I don’t do it like that. And you know, the truth of the matter is, Nebraska never has either."
On his strategy against Cal in the 2004 Holiday Bowl:
"Like everybody, you go out there and it’s first down. And you say, 'get 10. Get 10. Yes!' If you get two, you say, 'get eight, get eight, get eight.' Then you get another first down and then you score some points. Defensively, you try to stop them."
On the team's turnaround during the Cal game after trailing 14-7:
"Cal was playing harder than we were, so we sort of had a get-in-touch-with-your-feelings kind of conversation where everybody got kind fuzzy-goosy feelings for each other, and our intensity increased."
On Leach being on the list for other coaching jobs across the country:
"As a head coach, you're on two lists. You're the guy that might get fired, or you're the guy who might go somewhere. Given the two lists, I guess that's the one to be on."
Cheers, Mike!

FlagProps (3)
http://static.bleacherreport.net/images/redesign/common/loading/small.gif?1333005743

3/31/2012, 06:28 AM
I wish Mike posted here. It is a perfect fit.

sooneredaco
3/31/2012, 07:16 AM

True Dat

Flagstaffsooner
3/31/2012, 07:25 AM
He'd get baned by Froz.:tennis:

MamaMia
3/31/2012, 05:13 PM
Its raining mud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSPcMXWJjUg

MamaMia
3/31/2012, 05:28 PM
Mike Leach on dating

http://youtu.be/DxBsXzvENpo

picasso
4/1/2012, 12:25 AM
How do we know he doesn't?

I used to have his hair. Then the 90's showed up.