PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Tulsa may have found a new coach......

Salt City Sooner
3/28/2012, 07:27 PM
Hold your nose when you open the link. :mad:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7749070/danny-manning-agrees-coach-tulsa-sources-say

picasso
3/28/2012, 10:48 PM
Meh. Maybe he can bring Kevin Pritchard with.

NMSooner'80
3/29/2012, 08:57 AM
Hold your nose when you open the link. :mad:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7749070/danny-manning-agrees-coach-tulsa-sources-say

Perfect description of how to react to their hiring. This means endless reminders of the "Mistake of '88" in the Tulsa media, I'm sure. You guys remember that one - starting Manning as Mr. Goody Two Shoes and our guys as the forces of evil.

Soonerjeepman
3/29/2012, 09:35 AM
dude...living here in KC it's all I hear...especially this yr..25 yrs later...ugh...

StoopTroup
3/29/2012, 09:43 AM
We were just as good as they were that year....they had a better run is all. Unfortunte we lost but if it wasn't for KU the bar to where we want our Program to be at wouldn't be set. Anytime we beat them in Basketball.....you know we have something special going on. They have had a good Basketball program. Football? Not so much. I wouldn't trade Football over Basketball but I would love to see OU win a NC in Basketball in my lifetime.

NMSooner'80
3/29/2012, 10:35 AM
dude...living here in KC it's all I hear...especially this yr..25 yrs later...ugh...

I totally sympathize. My younger brother went to KC once for the Big 8 tourney and he was almost shocked at how hateful people were up there. And we didn't even play KU that time.

It was bad enough working in Edmond in 1988. A lot of people there rooted for KU, and one guy bought the old CSU (now UCO) field house scoreboard so he could display "83-79" in his restaurant. That was back when the Whites in the OKC area who hated OU rooted for Kansas and the Blacks in the same area who hated OU rooted for Georgetown.

You probably also saw that awful hit-piece on Wayman Tisdale, right after his death no less, from an a-hole from the paper in Lawrence who couldn't resist the temptation to paint Wayman and the rest of the '84 team as being 100% at fault for the volatile atmosphere after the game at the Phog that season. Not only is the blame dubious at best, it was SO inappropriate to write something about Wayman right after he died of cancer like that. The "dubious" part comes from how (A) Choo Kennedy was falsely accused by the pro-Beaker media of flipping off the crowd, and (B) how the KU crowd was pretty hateful and profane long before that point, from what I've been told.

OULenexaman
3/29/2012, 11:09 AM
88 was when I really began to hate Brent Musberger....

tycat947
3/29/2012, 11:20 AM
If he can win at all he'll be gone in a heartbeat!

Soonerjeepman
3/29/2012, 01:11 PM
I totally sympathize. My younger brother went to KC once for the Big 8 tourney and he was almost shocked at how hateful people were up there. And we didn't even play KU that time.

It was bad enough working in Edmond in 1988. A lot of people there rooted for KU, and one guy bought the old CSU (now UCO) field house scoreboard so he could display "83-79" in his restaurant. That was back when the Whites in the OKC area who hated OU rooted for Kansas and the Blacks in the same area who hated OU rooted for Georgetown.

You probably also saw that awful hit-piece on Wayman Tisdale, right after his death no less, from an a-hole from the paper in Lawrence who couldn't resist the temptation to paint Wayman and the rest of the '84 team as being 100% at fault for the volatile atmosphere after the game at the Phog that season. Not only is the blame dubious at best, it was SO inappropriate to write something about Wayman right after he died of cancer like that. The "dubious" part comes from how (A) Choo Kennedy was falsely accused by the pro-Beaker media of flipping off the crowd, and (B) how the KU crowd was pretty hateful and profane long before that point, from what I've been told.

NO way I trade Fball for basketball....I agree, great program..top 5 no doubt...but their athletic dept made 0, yes ZERO profit this yr...them and Baylor...and basically all they have is bball...while we have our gymnastics teams are #1, #2, softball #7, baseball #24 and even track/field has some national rankings...oh and wrestling is usually top 15...I'd rather have a great OVERALL athletic dept. Actually women's bball was top 20 and even men's bball is USUALLY ranked...so I'm good.

It is what it is...these folks have nothing but bball....fball season is overall Oct 15th..bball practice begins...lol...

King Crimson
3/29/2012, 07:47 PM
manning committed about 12 uncalled fouls in the 88 championship game.

we still should have won.

picasso
3/30/2012, 09:35 AM
We were just as good as they were that year....they had a better run is all. Unfortunte we lost but if it wasn't for KU the bar to where we want our Program to be at wouldn't be set. Anytime we beat them in Basketball.....you know we have something special going on. They have had a good Basketball program. Football? Not so much. I wouldn't trade Football over Basketball but I would love to see OU win a NC in Basketball in my lifetime.
Huh? We were the best team in the country that season.

NMSooner'80
3/30/2012, 01:56 PM
One other thing that still makes me FURIOUS about that epic disaster was that a book was written about that season by a national writer named John Feinstein. He just trashed OU, as I recall, and made it perfectly clear that he thought our program was a no-class, outlaw crew. And as I recall, nary a word was written about how "Danny and the Miracles" were supposed to be a lot better than OU going into that season. They underachieved in the regular season something fierce; while OU didn't. But our biggest "crime" was beating teams too badly. And only one coach really even complained - the idiot at Georgia State.

I enjoyed Feinstein's book "Season on the Brink." I absolutely HATED "A Season Inside" (on the '88 season as a whole). I'm glad I saw it before I considered buying it.

StoopTroup
3/30/2012, 02:17 PM
Huh? We were the best team in the country that season.

I thought we had a Team that could beat anyone on any given day.

StoopTroup
3/30/2012, 02:24 PM
manning committed about 12 uncalled fouls in the 88 championship game.

we still should have won.

When you are good enough to win when you make that many mistakes....I think that's where the miracle thing comes from. I have a personal dislike of Larry Brown so if there is anyone on that Team I truly can't stand it was him and that Coaching Staff, however there also comes a point where it's best to forgive and that's where I don't really hold Manning accountable at all. He did some things that Larry did not and for that, as a person, I think Manning is a heck of a man and probably a good fit for Tulsa. I know I will be around to see a few of their games and support them as long as they aren't playing OU.

I wish him and them well.

picasso
3/30/2012, 02:53 PM
I thought we had a Team that could beat anyone on any given day.
We basically won the NC when we beat Arizona in the semis.