PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney Tells 'Humorous' Story About Father Closing A Michigan Factory

ictsooner7
3/28/2012, 07:09 PM
Totally tone deaf.

Mitt Romney Tells 'Humorous' Story About Father Closing A Michigan Factory

Mitt Romney is known for his sometimes awkward sense of humor, and some of his biggest campaign missteps have come when he has made statements that seemed out of touch with Americans' economic struggles.

During a tele-town hall meeting with Wisconsin voters Wednesday, those two issues converged.

At the outset of his 35-minute conference call, Romney told what he thought was a "humorous" story about how his father once shut down a factory in Michigan and moved production to Wisconsin, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

"One of [the] most humorous I think relates to my father. You may remember my father, George Romney, was president of an automobile company called American Motors. ... They had a factory in Michigan, and they had a factory in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and another one in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. And as the president of the company he decided to close the factory in Michigan and move all the production to Wisconsin. Now later he decided to run for governor of Michigan and so you can imagine that having closed the factory and moved all the production to Wisconsin was a very sensitive issue to him, for his campaign."

Romney's anecdote was no doubt meant to appeal to the voters of Wisconsin, who were the beneficiaries of the factory shutdown, but joking about laying off workers is a risk during tough economic times.

In January, Romney came under fire from his opponents for saying, "I like being able to fire people who provide services to me."

Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom took to Twitter to say the controversy was overblown. "You know what's 'humorous'? Caterwauling from the Dems about Mitt's recall of a campaign story involving his dad. #fakeoutrage," he tweeted.

David Shepardson, the DC bureau chief of the Detroit News, noted on Twitter that George Romney's decision to "close the Hudson plants on Detroit's East Side in 1954 cos[t] 4,300 workers their jobs."

olevetonahill
3/28/2012, 07:19 PM
Thot starting Political threads anywhere but in the Political forum was grounds fer a Perma Baining
Or are you just all rattled and ****?

Seamus
3/28/2012, 07:33 PM
**** Romney. **** the GOP. **** the Democrats.

And **** political threads on the sports forum.

OU_Sooners75
3/28/2012, 07:36 PM
And **** Seamus...LOL

Tell it like it is bro!

Seamus
3/28/2012, 07:57 PM
Yeah, **** him and his James Joyce avatar ... lol

Turd_Ferguson
3/28/2012, 09:06 PM
LMMFAO!!! Damn Icky, settle down son!:D

cleller
3/28/2012, 09:26 PM
Maybe Barack could tell some good zingers about his dad behind the wheel of a car.

soonerhubs
3/28/2012, 09:47 PM
Copy cat thread fail. Carry on!

LiveLaughLove
3/29/2012, 12:56 AM
Maybe Barack could tell some good zingers about his dad behind the wheel of a car.

or his dad the British hating communist economist. Those tales are always a riot too.

C&CDean
3/29/2012, 01:57 PM
I'd rather hear about his white ho mom.

Turd_Ferguson
3/29/2012, 02:24 PM
I'd rather hear about his white ho mom.Mitt's or Obama's?

KantoSooner
3/29/2012, 02:40 PM
Sounds like one of those 'can't win for losing' stories. Just think:

A) if more auto execs had been like Romney's dad. Maybe the US auto industry would have remained healthy and not needed a bail out.

or

B) what it would be like to have a president who actually grew up surrounded by and listening to people who had to deal with day-to-day industrial policy decisions. Why, that would be like having a president with actual business experience. Which would be our first one in that category since.....Harry Truman.

C&CDean
3/29/2012, 02:50 PM
Mitt's or Obama's?

Sure.

Frozen Sooner
3/29/2012, 02:56 PM
Sounds like one of those 'can't win for losing' stories. Just think:

A) if more auto execs had been like Romney's dad. Maybe the US auto industry would have remained healthy and not needed a bail out.

or

B) what it would be like to have a president who actually grew up surrounded by and listening to people who had to deal with day-to-day industrial policy decisions. Why, that would be like having a president with actual business experience. Which would be our first one in that category since.....Harry Truman.

?

If you're going to count the Haberdasher in Chief (who's men's clothing store flamed out rather spectacularly) you're going to need to count Bush 43.

LiveLaughLove
3/29/2012, 03:02 PM
I have a friend in Corpus Christi that grew up a millionaire. His wife did not, and I definitely did not.

At times he would relate stories that the rest of us just could not grasp. Like I mentioned going home specifically so my mom could do my laundry while in college. He said, well I'm sure there was a laundry service at your school that would have done it and folded and everything for you. His wife said, not everyone could afford that in college. He didn't mean any harm, he just couldn't relate to not being able to do whatever you wanted based on the lack of money. He is a GREAT guy.

I see Romney a little like this. Not saying he is a GREAT guy cause I don't know him. But I can for sure see that he has a hard time relating to middle and lower income existences. He simply hasn't had to live it. Unlike a lot of people though I have no envy or dislike of him for that. He is getting to live the American dream and it for sure doesn't disqualify him from being President.

KantoSooner
3/29/2012, 03:12 PM
?

If you're going to count the Haberdasher in Chief (who's men's clothing store flamed out rather spectacularly) you're going to need to count Bush 43.

That would be fair. Or we could go back to Hoover or Coolege. Given a choice, I guess I'd just as soon put the office in the charge of a business guy as a lawyer, career pol, military guy or academic. (not that that's any guarantee: you could end up with a Jon Huntsman....or you could end up with the Reverend Cain.)

pphilfran
3/29/2012, 03:16 PM
Rambler....lol

okie52
3/29/2012, 03:32 PM
Rambler....lol

Haha and the "Pacer".

rock on sooner
3/29/2012, 03:33 PM
I have a friend in Corpus Christi that grew up a millionaire. His wife did not, and I definitely did not.

At times he would relate stories that the rest of us just could not grasp. Like I mentioned going home specifically so my mom could do my laundry while in college. He said, well I'm sure there was a laundry service at your school that would have done it and folded and everything for you. His wife said, not everyone could afford that in college. He didn't mean any harm, he just couldn't relate to not being able to do whatever you wanted based on the lack of money. He is a GREAT guy.

I see Romney a little like this. Not saying he is a GREAT guy cause I don't know him. But I can for sure see that he has a hard time relating to middle and lower income existences. He simply hasn't had to live it. Unlike a lot of people though I have no envy or dislike of him for that. He is getting to live the American dream and it for sure doesn't disqualify him from being President.

Triple L, Romney is more than a "little" like this. He cannot relate at all, even though
he "earned" his millions...he just doesn't think...$10,000 bets, wife drives a couple
of Caddies, $12m home renovation complete with an elevator for his cars! WTF is/was
he thinking? Now, I'm definitely not a Pub but this truly worries me....if he does beat
Obama, is he going to employ this same "not thinking" approach? May God have mercy
on us all....

pphilfran
3/29/2012, 03:47 PM
Haha and the "Pacer".

He was out many years before the Pacer...I think he left in 62....

okie52
3/29/2012, 03:51 PM
He was out many years before the Pacer...I think he left in 62....

Nash Rambler days? BeepBeep, BeepBeep, as I went....

pphilfran
3/29/2012, 03:53 PM
Nash Rambler days? BeepBeep, BeepBeep, as I went....

lol

My old man was in the lumber business and his company car was a Rambler station wagon...he was stylin...

olevetonahill
3/29/2012, 03:56 PM
Wonder could he help get me parts for my
http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/nash/1956-nash-001.jpg

pphilfran
3/29/2012, 04:00 PM
Wonder could he help get me parts for my
http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/nash/1956-nash-001.jpg

Damn, I have always wanted a Nash...

olevetonahill
3/29/2012, 04:01 PM
Damn, I have always wanted a Nash...
I was 5 er 6 er so I member Dad had one

Turd_Ferguson
3/29/2012, 04:20 PM
I was 5 er 6 er so I member Dad had oneI didn't know they made them back in 1900

pphilfran
3/29/2012, 04:22 PM
I didn't know they made them back in 1900

Vets first car was a Stanley Steamer...

LiveLaughLove
3/29/2012, 04:31 PM
Triple L, Romney is more than a "little" like this. He cannot relate at all, even though
he "earned" his millions...he just doesn't think...$10,000 bets, wife drives a couple
of Caddies, $12m home renovation complete with an elevator for his cars! WTF is/was
he thinking? Now, I'm definitely not a Pub but this truly worries me....if he does beat
Obama, is he going to employ this same "not thinking" approach? May God have mercy
on us all....

I don't necessarily disagree with you. Neither of us know the exact extent of his disassociation, but it's there for sure.

The problem I have (and I'm sure you will disagree) is I see Obama in policy and function as being unrelated to anyone or anything I know. And no I don't mean because he is black. I mean his associations are with people that I and everyone I know would never have any relations with. He is a classic academic liberal. His associations are 60's radical professors, black extremists, and on and on. I don't relate to that, and he doesn't relate to me.

His "clinging to their guns and religion" type stuff tells me he is out of tune with me and mine. His "when you have enough, it's good to spread it around" stuff to Plumber Joe, and so on is stuff that I despise. Lastly, I can't relate to anyone that believes that a baby that survives an abortion should be put in a closet room to die. No sir. I cannot relate to that mentality.

In the end, for me it's ABO or any other Democrat. I'll take the guy with successful business experience and pray it translates to good fortune for all of us. The experiment with Obama has failed.

olevetonahill
3/29/2012, 04:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQqiByUgvfI

Turd_Ferguson
3/29/2012, 05:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQqiByUgvfIDamn!! I did a little two step'n to that back in the day with my 13MWZ's, double stitched roper's, 3 pc buckle and a pearl snap shirt...

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2012, 06:11 PM
Mitt's or Obama's?

Don't they have the same one?

olevetonahill
3/29/2012, 07:09 PM
Don't they have the same one?

Hos be Hos

rock on sooner
3/29/2012, 08:52 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with you. Neither of us know the exact extent of his disassociation, but it's there for sure.

The problem I have (and I'm sure you will disagree) is I see Obama in policy and function as being unrelated to anyone or anything I know. And no I don't mean because he is black. I mean his associations are with people that I and everyone I know would never have any relations with. He is a classic academic liberal. His associations are 60's radical professors, black extremists, and on and on. I don't relate to that, and he doesn't relate to me.

His "clinging to their guns and religion" type stuff tells me he is out of tune with me and mine. His "when you have enough, it's good to spread it around" stuff to Plumber Joe, and so on is stuff that I despise. Lastly, I can't relate to anyone that believes that a baby that survives an abortion should be put in a closet room to die. No sir. I cannot relate to that mentality.

In the end, for me it's ABO or any other Democrat. I'll take the guy with successful business experience and pray it translates to good fortune for all of us. The experiment with Obama has failed.

LLL, let me run this by ya..It's possible that Obama has tacked pretty far to the left to get
some room to come back to the center. Ya gotta admit that since the TEA partiers got to
Washington, nothing has worked, even the extreme of give one dollar tax increase to ten
dollars spending cut. It has been nothing but NO from McConnell on down. Some of what Obama
has said I think is too far..I'm not sure that radical professors and black extremists are much
of a factor. I do think some of his liberal thinking is problematical. The guy with successful
business experience really looked at ONLY the bottom line and wasn't tasked with looking at
the overall picture (e.g. let the auto industry fail..don't bail them out!) I think reasonable
thinking Pubs know that revenue must increase, as well as spending HAS to decrease. Gotta
be some give on both sides. I am left of center but not very far left. I put forth a plan to fix
a lot of what is wrong without benefit of an actuary to vet my numbers but I wanted to help
SS and Medicare/Medicaid, freeze the size of gov't, cut back on the military and reduce spending,
as well as closing tax loopholes, give amnesty to overseas money coming home (and restrict
more going overseas). I think that it gives wins to both sides and really benefits the country's
deficit. Every Pub that I talked to didn't respond one way or the other.

My overriding concern about the guy with successful businessexperience running things doesn't
have a clue about how Washington works (and doesn't work) and isn't flexible enough to adapt.

Turd_Ferguson
3/29/2012, 08:57 PM
LLL, let me run this by ya..It's possible that Obama has tacked pretty far to the left to get
some room to come back to the center. Ya gotta admit that since the TEA partiers got to
Washington, nothing has worked, even the extreme of give one dollar tax increase to ten
dollars spending cut. It has been nothing but NO from McConnell on down. Some of what Obama
has said I think is too far..I'm not sure that radical professors and black extremists are much
of a factor. I do think some of his liberal thinking is problematical. The guy with successful
business experience really looked at ONLY the bottom line and wasn't tasked with looking at
the overall picture (e.g. let the auto industry fail..don't bail them out!) I think reasonable
thinking Pubs know that revenue must increase, as well as spending HAS to decrease. Gotta
be some give on both sides. I am left of center but not very far left. I put forth a plan to fix
a lot of what is wrong without benefit of an actuary to vet my numbers but I wanted to help
SS and Medicare/Medicaid, freeze the size of gov't, cut back on the military and reduce spending,
as well as closing tax loopholes, give amnesty to overseas money coming home (and restrict
more going overseas). I think that it gives wins to both sides and really benefits the country's

My overriding concern about the guy with successful businessexperience running things doesn't
have a clue about how Washington works (and doesn't work) and isn't flexible enough to adapt.Why do your post have the spacing ****ed up?

rock on sooner
3/29/2012, 09:05 PM
Why do your post have the spacing ****ed up?

Beats me, what's wrong with it?

LiveLaughLove
3/29/2012, 09:13 PM

have a clue about how Washington works (and doesn't work) and isn't flexible enough to adapt.

Memo's released from the admin shows that they had no intention of compromising with the House during the shut down fiasco. They saw it as a rerun of the Clinton/Gingrich showdown which hurt the Republicans. They wanted a replay. So just blaming the tea party is not fair in my eyes. McConnell is a RINO, give him enough money for Kentucky and he will get things done for Obama or anyone.

I have heard that Romneys company (cant recall its name right now) is a good company to work for as far as the staff are concerned. Don't know how true that is. Does he have to close some down, trim some fat (layoffs) at companies for them to survive or make a profit for shareholders? Sure. That's capitalism. It's not always fair in that people pick the wrong company to work for, but it happens. I realized that a while back and decided to find a way to work for myself. I am mostly there, all because I don't trust companies to be here tomorrow. I don't blame Romney for making money. A lot of people do, like its an evil. It's not.

I wouldn't have a problem in increasing people's taxes, except that it NEVER goes to pay down the deficit, or has equal deficit cutting attached to it. NEVER. They always say it will, but it never does. If they would either reduce the deficit with the new taxes or eliminate an equal amount of current spending then I wouldn't mind it. But they just play these shell games and never touch their spending. What you propose sounds reasonable.

I don't see Romney as being that inflexible and not sure where you get that from, but it's possible. As for me as I have said, Obama is a nonstarter. Jimmy Carter said today. "I just can't see Jesus Christ being pro-abortion". Neither can I. Which is also why I am opposed to the death penalty. I can't see Christ pulling that switch.

olevetonahill
3/29/2012, 09:33 PM
Beats me, what's wrong with it?
Cause its a WALL an aint NO one gonna read it .
Be my guess that is

rock on sooner
3/29/2012, 09:41 PM
Memo's released from the admin shows that they had no intention of compromising with the House during the shut down fiasco. They saw it as a rerun of the Clinton/Gingrich showdown which hurt the Republicans. They wanted a replay. So just blaming the tea party is not fair in my eyes. McConnell is a RINO, give him enough money for Kentucky and he will get things done for Obama or anyone.

I have heard that Romneys company (cant recall its name right now) is a good company to work for as far as the staff are concerned. Don't know how true that is. Does he have to close some down, trim some fat (layoffs) at companies for them to survive or make a profit for shareholders? Sure. That's capitalism. It's not always fair in that people pick the wrong company to work for, but it happens. I realized that a while back and decided to find a way to work for myself. I am mostly there, all because I don't trust companies to be here tomorrow. I don't blame Romney for making money. A lot of people do, like its an evil. It's not.

I wouldn't have a problem in increasing people's taxes, except that it NEVER goes to pay down the deficit, or has equal deficit cutting attached to it. NEVER. They always say it will, but it never does. If they would either reduce the deficit with the new taxes or eliminate an equal amount of current spending then I wouldn't mind it. But they just play these shell games and never touch their spending. What you propose sounds reasonable.

I don't see Romney as being that inflexible and not sure where you get that from, but it's possible. As for me as I have said, Obama is a nonstarter. Jimmy Carter said today. "I just can't see Jesus Christ being pro-abortion". Neither can I. Which is also why I am opposed to the death penalty. I can't see Christ pulling that switch.

Bain Capital is the company and I, too, have heard people say that it is okay to
work for. As for Romney being flexible, you may be right, he certailnly says
what he thinks people want to hear.

I don't think any tax increase will go to cut the deficit but it will provide funds to
run the gov't while a gradual decrease in spending (3 1/2% the first year and an
additional 1/2% each year following until it gets to a full 10% spending cut)...Can't do
it all at once like Paul wants...entire country would tank!

TEA party...well, we can agree to disagree..that group of people is the most robotic,
intransigent since McCarthy and his minions. I don't blame Romney for making money,
I admire what he did...just don't believe he can translate that to Washington. Carter
says things that make sense, most of the time. Pro-abortion for Christ, of course not.

You say Obama is a nonstarter, well, he was up against McCain and if we had him we'd
be bombing Iran now and probably still have troups in Iraq. Obama, I think, was/is right
for what we are faced with. If not, who would be better? Surely not any of the Fab Four
now...Clinton, not sure, darn good Sec'y of State. Tell you a Pub that would get my vote..
Powell! Very gifted, smart, forward thinking, rational man!

Turd_Ferguson
3/29/2012, 09:50 PM
Beats me, what's wrong with it?I just quoted your post ya moran...look at it and tell me there's nothing wrong with it.

StoopTroup
3/30/2012, 01:37 AM
Bain Capital is the company and I, too, have heard people say that it is okay to

I don't think any tax increase will go to cut the deficit but it will provide funds to
run the gov't while a gradual decrease in spending (3 1/2% the first year and an
additional 1/2% each year following until it gets to a full 10% spending cut)...Can't do

TEA party...well, we can agree to disagree..that group of people is the most robotic,
intransigent since McCarthy and his minions. I don't blame Romney for making money,
I admire what he did...just don't believe he can translate that to Washington. Carter
says things that make sense, most of the time. Pro-abortion for Christ, of course not.

You say Obama is a nonstarter, well, he was up against McCain and if we had him we'd
be bombing Iran now and probably still have troups in Iraq. Obama, I think, was/is right
for what we are faced with. If not, who would be better? Surely not any of the Fab Four
now...Clinton, not sure, darn good Sec'y of State. Tell you a Pub that would get my vote..

So you think Powell is going to vote for Romney?

okie52
3/30/2012, 02:06 AM

Well rock on we've already bombed Libya.

rock on sooner
3/30/2012, 06:09 AM
Well rock on we've already bombed Libya.

Yup, but no troops on the ground and just the "humanitarian" part is remaining.
Iran, COMPLETELY different animal! Entire region in "flames"...much worse IMO.

rock on sooner
3/30/2012, 06:12 AM
So you think Powell is going to vote for Romney?.

I'd bet he doesn't...(He voted for Obama in '08)

rock on sooner
3/30/2012, 06:17 AM
I just quoted your post ya moran...look at it and tell me there's nothing wrong with it.

You must be using the phonetic spelling...moran is actually "moron"..look it
up. Sorry, just for you and Vet...I'll put more spacing, maybe even pictures:playful:

Midtowner
3/30/2012, 07:07 AM
I just quoted your post ya moran...look at it and tell me there's nothing wrong with it.

http://www.beersteak.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/get-a-brain-morans-go-usa.jpg

pphilfran
3/30/2012, 07:11 AM
It is gonna get ugly...

Turd_Ferguson
3/30/2012, 07:26 AM
****'n nOObs...

Curly Bill
3/30/2012, 07:36 AM
****'n nOObs...

heh

Ya think if I called him a dumas, he would think I was calling him a mid-sized town in the Texas panhandle?

rock on sooner
3/30/2012, 07:46 AM
heh

Ya think if I called him a dumas, he would think I was calling him a mid-sized town in the Texas panhandle?

Depends on if you use a capital "D"...:playful:

olevetonahill
3/30/2012, 07:48 AM
Depends on if you use a capital "D"...:playful:
dumas

olevetonahill
3/30/2012, 07:51 AM
heh

Wonder would he participate in a Pole ?

Turd_Ferguson
3/30/2012, 08:06 AM
Wonder would he participate in a Pole ?I'm think'n he prolly has...

olevetonahill
3/30/2012, 08:11 AM
I'm think'n he prolly has...
I said IN yer thinkin ON

Curly Bill
3/30/2012, 08:51 AM
Wonder would he participate in a Pole ?

He prolly has significant pole experience.

rock on sooner
3/30/2012, 10:29 AM
Vet, ya beat Curly to it...TF, MT, Curly...my pole experience is limited to the

10 foot one I use to avoid "morans" and their circle jerk humor!:playful:

olevetonahill
3/30/2012, 12:05 PM
Vet, ya beat Curly to it...TF, MT, Curly...my pole experience is limited to the

10 foot one I use to avoid "morans" and their circle jerk humor!:playful:
Should we a Pole fer ya?

rock on sooner
3/31/2012, 07:28 PM
Should we a Pole fer ya?

Sorry, big guy, dunno what ya want, guess I'm outside the "know"

so I'll double space and avoid the wall....:playful:

olevetonahill
3/31/2012, 07:41 PM
Sorry, big guy, dunno what ya want, guess I'm outside the "know"

so I'll double space and avoid the wall....:playful:
Then if ya gonna do that I guess we dont need to do a Pole about it .:unconscious:

rock on sooner
3/31/2012, 09:41 PM
Then if ya gonna do that I guess we dont need to do a Pole about it .:unconscious:

If ya say so.....:playful:

olevetonahill
3/31/2012, 09:59 PM
If ya say so.....:playful:
Its been said :unconscious:

SoonerSpock
4/1/2012, 08:35 AM
Comments regarding Romney's dad closing a factory is pure politics. Tough decisions regarding changes have to be made in business to remain competitive. When they closed the factory in Michigan and opened it in Wisconsin any union employee being laid off in Michigan had priority to transfer to Wisconsin and keep his job per the union contract.

Moving the factory did not cost 4,300 people their jobs. It did forced many if not most to make decisions that would change their lives. Many would rather lose their jobs than move away from family. But life is not fair.

Also the new jobs in Wisconsin were obviously a boom to that economy. Classic example of focusing on things that should not matter in selecting an elected official. But of course we are going to beat Mitt up politically over something that occurred 40 years ago and is irrelevant today.

The story should be looked at from Mitt's perspective. His dad made a hard business decision that unfortunately would have negative impact on a future political campaign. His dad did get elected governor despite the closing of the plant. I find humor is making a hard decision today that can bite you in the butt later on. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Maybe our ancestors did a better job of evaluating which candidates made the best elected officials and minimized insignificant factors to the election.

soonercoop1
4/1/2012, 09:57 AM
If Romney is the nominee, Obama wins a second term...that is an easy prediction...

SanJoaquinSooner
4/1/2012, 02:55 PM
Growing up, my neighborhood had about a dozen boys a year or two older than me. One day my grandparents came to visit, driving a Rambler. I was teased unmercifully for having grandparents who drove a piece-of-**** Rambler. And wouldn't you know it, my grandparents were pubs.

jkjsooner
4/2/2012, 10:27 AM
Comments regarding Romney's dad closing a factory is pure politics. Tough decisions regarding changes have to be made in business to remain competitive.

I don't know that anyone would disagree with this statement. If you don't remain competitive then everyone loses their job.

That being said, the criticism wasn't about the actions of the dad but how Romney brought it up and how that presumably shows he's a little out of touch.