PDA

View Full Version : G.H. Bush

StoopTroup
3/28/2012, 05:45 PM
He's to give Ronmey's Campaign Mouth to Mouth life saving ressussion.

The bad news is that only Pulmunary works.

Maybe Mitt should talk to Cheney's Doctors?

ictsooner7
3/28/2012, 05:46 PM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/althistory/images/3/33/Readmylips.gif

George H.W. Bush

1988 Republican National Convention Acceptance Address, delivered 18 August 1988, Superdome, New Orleans, LA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5DZBFbMdjI

YEP

LiveLaughLove
3/28/2012, 05:57 PM
I think Bush elder is a good man with a soft heart. I think he did not have the true conservative convictions of Reagan and it cost him big time.

At heart he is not much different than a liberal. Both believe government is the solution. Reagan believed, correctly, that government, for the most part, is the problem and just gets in the way.

It's that core philosophy that you guys that try to make Reagan out to be what he was not can't grasp. He conducted pragmatic policy with a Democrat House to get things done even when it wasn't necessarily what he wanted.

That same House screwed over Bush because he didn't have those convictions to stand by.

ictsooner7
3/28/2012, 06:16 PM
I think Bush elder is a good man with a soft heart. I think he did not have the true conservative convictions of Reagan and it cost him big time.

At heart he is not much different than a liberal. Both believe government is the solution. Reagan believed, correctly, that government, for the most part, is the problem and just gets in the way.

It's that core philosophy that you guys that try to make Reagan out to be what he was not can't grasp. He conducted pragmatic policy with a Democrat House to get things done even when it wasn't necessarily what he wanted.

That same House screwed over Bush because he didn't have those convictions to stand by.

Personal responsiblity, the house didn't screw him over, he did it to himself.

ictsooner7
3/28/2012, 06:22 PM

I think carter was the same way, good man with a soft heart.

StoopTroup
3/28/2012, 06:25 PM
Yeah Reagan nearly got rid of Government, lol. I swear the revisionist History that's applied to Ray Gun's Name is hilarious.

His Star Wars Satelitte Killings still crack me up. Hell the Air Force is currently promoting how efficient it is tracking and manipulating the stuff orbiting our planet to get kids to sign up.

Midtowner
3/28/2012, 06:33 PM
Yeah Reagan nearly got rid of Government, lol. I swear the revisionist History that's applied to Ray Gun's Name is hilarious.

Pretty much. The historical Reagan bears little resemblance to the deity created by recent politicos. I seem to remember him being thought of as a well-meaning dolt.

cleller
3/28/2012, 06:38 PM
I think Bush elder is a good man with a soft heart.

I think carter was the same way, good man with a soft heart.

Stop the presses!

Is there a glimmer of a possibility we might all generally agree on this matter? No matter what you thought of them as a president, do you agree they were both good men, with good hearts? Very respectable men. I'd be glad to have either over for dinner.

ictsooner7
3/28/2012, 06:45 PM
Stop the presses!

Is there a glimmer of a possibility we might all generally agree on this matter? No matter what you thought of them as a president, do you agree they were both good men, with good hearts? Very respectable men. I'd be glad to have either over for dinner.

Too bad we couldn't have bush I, carter and clinton have dinner and video it, just let them chat. THAT would be interesting.

StoopTroup
3/28/2012, 06:49 PM
I think being POTUS puts an end to Conservatism and Liberalism. Being POTUS seems to put an end to them being as staunch to the principles they held prior to being President. They all seem to understand how this Country needs everyone's opinions to survive and that if one Party ever takes control over another the USA we know and love will be forever changed for the worse.

LiveLaughLove
3/29/2012, 01:03 AM

His Star Wars Satelitte Killings still crack me up. Hell the Air Force is currently promoting how efficient it is tracking and manipulating the stuff orbiting our planet to get kids to sign up.

Yeah, I served during Reagan's years. I don't have a clue what I am talking about. I just lived it. He was actually a liberal because you say so.

I guess you didn't read the pragmatic part, and that I said it was his "core values" that made him great. He stopped communism in it's tracks and reversed what Carter allowed. Domestically, he did what he needed to do to move the ball forward. I thought you guys liked compromise. Now you chastise him as not being a conservative because he compromised. Makes sense.

hawaii 5-0
3/29/2012, 02:03 AM
I always thought of Ronnie as The Great Host, like he was hosting GE Theater, instead it was The United States.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
3/29/2012, 02:06 AM
I always gave Lech Walensa and the Solidarity Movement in Poland the credit for bringing down Communism.

5-0

sappstuf
3/29/2012, 03:11 AM
Too bad we couldn't have bush I, carter and clinton have dinner and video it, just let them chat. THAT would be interesting.

I can tell you how that conversation would go..

Bush and Carter would start exchanging interesting old Navy stories with Clinton looking around bored and agitated until finally butting in with... 'One time in the Oval Office I was with this girl and had a cigar...'

diverdog
3/29/2012, 05:38 AM
Yeah, I served during Reagan's years. I don't have a clue what I am talking about. I just lived it. He was actually a liberal because you say so.

I guess you didn't read the pragmatic part, and that I said it was his "core values" that made him great. He stopped communism in it's tracks and reversed what Carter allowed. Domestically, he did what he needed to do to move the ball forward. I thought you guys liked compromise. Now you chastise him as not being a conservative because he compromised. Makes sense.

He did not stop communism and he sure as hell did not win the Cold War by himself. To say so is a disservice to all those who battled communism for 45 years. Reagan was on of many who confronted communism but he was also lucky because the USSR was having massive problems by the time he showed up in office.

diverdog
3/29/2012, 05:40 AM
I always gave Lech Walensa and the Solidarity Movement in Poland the credit for bringing down Communism.

5-0

I would give the Pope and Reagan credit as well. The Pope was actually most instrumental when he basically said he would march in the streets with his fellow Poles

cleller
3/29/2012, 07:46 AM
OK, Reagan didn't drown communism with one hand, but he still deserves to be the first name mentioned. He was aware of their internal issues, then forced them to spend themselves into oblivion to keep up with us.

This old friend of mine from Czech was doing his mandatory service in the old, communist Czech army at the time Reagan was elected. They routinely trained with the Soviet army, and had adjoining camps somewhere. He's told me the Soviets were terrified of Reagan, convinced he was out to destroy them.

The Czechs liked Reagan, being already sick of communism.
His stories of the Russian army at that time are hilarious.

soonerhubs
3/29/2012, 08:56 AM
I think being POTUS puts an end to Conservatism and Liberalism. Being POTUS seems to put an end to them being as staunch to the principles they held prior to being President. They all seem to understand how this Country needs everyone's opinions to survive and that if one Party ever takes control over another the USA we know and love will be forever changed for the worse.

This post shouldn't be ignored. It's quite insightful.

SoonerProphet
3/29/2012, 09:34 AM
He did not stop communism and he sure as hell did not win the Cold War by himself. To say so is a disservice to all those who battled communism for 45 years. Reagan was on of many who confronted communism but he was also lucky because the USSR was having massive problems by the time he showed up in office.

Hungary's role in the 89 collapse is often overlooked as well. In May of that year the Hungarians removed the fence on the border with Austria which seriously destablized the GDR and Czechoslovakia. In June of 89 the CP of Hungary admitted that the trial and execution of Imre Nagy was illegal and had a funeral for the 56 hero in Budapest.

Several actors played their part in the collapse of communism in eastern Europe, it just so happens that two of them were in fact actors.

hawaii 5-0
3/29/2012, 10:37 AM
Gee, isn't it fun rewriting history?

5-0

SCOUT
3/29/2012, 10:51 AM
Hungary's role in the 89 collapse is often overlooked as well. In May of that year the Hungarians removed the fence on the border with Austria which seriously destablized the GDR and Czechoslovakia. In June of 89 the CP of Hungary admitted that the trial and execution of Imre Nagy was illegal and had a funeral for the 56 hero in Budapest.

Several actors played their part in the collapse of communism in eastern Europe, it just so happens that two of them were in fact actors.
Do you think the US military build up helped bolster the actions of other countries?

SoonerProphet
3/29/2012, 11:06 AM
Do you think the US military build up helped bolster the actions of other countries?

B1 bombers and MX missiles would have done nothing if the Soviets wanted to crush movements such as Solidarity or Charter 77. It was a recognition of human rights and continued life in the "grey zone" that led to the collapse, not a threat of military action.

LiveLaughLove
3/29/2012, 11:06 AM
Isn't it fun watching people give everyone credit but Reagan. Ask Thatcher, ask the people of the former soviet blok. I never said he did it single handedly, but he gets top billing and it messes with you peoples heads.

You hate it. Too bad so sad.

Carter let communism grow, Reagan confronted it. Those are the facts whether you like them or not. Walesa (a staunch conservative btw) gets a lot of credit, Thatcher also and many others, but without Reagan a lot of those other factors don't happen.

Now keep spouting how he was just one of many and a dolt and a MC of a game show called Thermo Nuclear War and yadda yadda. It doesn't change the facts that Carter failed and he succeeded. And none of your boys have been able to have the love and admiration of the people that he had.

LiveLaughLove
3/29/2012, 11:20 AM
Isn't it fun watching people give everyone credit but Reagan. Ask Thatcher, ask the people of the former soviet blok. I never said he did it single handedly, but he gets top billing and it messes with you peoples heads.

Carter let communism grow, Reagan confronted it. Those are the facts whether you like them or not. Walesa (a staunch conservative btw) gets a lot of credit, Thatcher also and many others, but without Reagan a lot of those other factors don't happen.

Now keep spouting how he was just one of many and a dolt and a MC of a game show called Thermo Nuclear War and yadda yadda. It doesn't change the facts that Carter failed and he succeeded. And none of your boys have been able to have the love and admiration of the people that he had.

Sooner5030
3/29/2012, 11:45 AM
Bush 1 was one of the most competent and selfless presidents we have had in about 50 years. He ate the "calculated" recession which was somewhat caused by his decision to cut the rate of increased gubment spending and raise taxes. Those two decisions provided near term downward pressure on GDP but were the right thing to do long term.

We could use some folks like him making decisions these days.

SoonerProphet
3/29/2012, 12:02 PM

where did communism grow under carter?

by emphasising basket iii of helsinki the cover was given to solidarity, charter 77, and many others to challenge the soviets on human rights.

the only ones seemingly consumed are those that push their fellating revisionism of a single man.

Curly Bill
3/29/2012, 12:19 PM
Bush II defeated communism - he's responsible for everything that's happened in the last 100 years.

cleller
3/29/2012, 01:42 PM
There was a clock in the oval office that was a present from Gorbachev to Reagan. Every time Reagan came in the room the clock stopped.