PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Williams...not so fast my friend

Sooner in Tampa
3/28/2012, 01:57 PM
No waiver for you

Any hope Texas A&M may have held out for Brandon Williams to be one of the players to replace Cyrus Gray‘s production has all but officially been quashed.
It was reported back in December the running back had decided to transfer from Oklahoma to Texas A&M (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/19/sooners-rb-moves-on-to-texas-am/), and that he would be attempting to secure a hardship waiver that would allow him to play immediately. That won’t be happening, both the Bryan-College Station (http://www.aggiesports.com/blogs/fromthepressbox/?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&UID=0c1a0444-361c-418e-963d-62d94249fda3&plckPostId=Blog%3a0c1a0444-361c-418e-963d-62d94249fda3Post%3a6a047c72-8948-4366-9b46-41edca8f7cda&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest) and Gigem247.com (http://tamu.247sports.com/) reports, as Williams’ appeal has been denied by the NCAA.
A&M has yet to confirm that the waiver has indeed been denied. If the decision stands, Williams will be forced to sit out the 2012 season in order to satisfy NCAA transfer rules.
In 2011, Williams was a five-star member of OU’s recruiting class, the No. 3 RB in the country according to Rivals. He rushed for 219 yards on 46 carries as a true freshman.

Linkage (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/28/ex-sooner-rbs-waiver-denied-wont-play-for-am-in-2012/)

Curly Bill
3/28/2012, 02:00 PM
Nice!

It shouldn't be easy to transfer, nor should a kid be rewarded for it.

LVSOONER15
3/28/2012, 02:22 PM
Well I'll be darned!!!

Since71ASooner4Life
3/28/2012, 02:29 PM
Nice!

It shouldn't be easy to transfer, nor should a kid be rewarded for it.

If what we read was correct, I believe this kid wanted to do the right thing and move closer to home so he could be present in the life of a child he fathered. I think that comes before football, so why delight in the fact that he is delayed in pursuing what I'm guessing may be his best source of economic means?

Curly Bill
3/28/2012, 02:33 PM
If what we read was correct, I believe this kid wanted to do the right thing and move closer to home so he could be present in the life of a child he fathered. I think that comes before football, so why delight in the fact that he is delayed in pursuing what I'm guessing may be his best source of economic means?

Unless he's currently getting paid to play football I don't see the point. If he transferred to spend more time with his kid than not playing football should facilitate that. He chose to transfer knowing the rules, and tried to skirt them - it didn't work out. Now he can do what most other transfers get to do and that's sit out a year.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/28/2012, 03:31 PM
Besides, he's transferring out FROM Oklahoma.

So **** him. DIAF.

olevetonahill
3/28/2012, 03:52 PM
Besides, he's transferring out FROM Oklahoma.

So **** him. DIAF.

:unconscious:

Ruf/Nek7
3/28/2012, 05:10 PM
He is lucky that it is not a 2 year suspension since gay&m are not in the Big XII anymore.

sooneredaco
3/28/2012, 05:36 PM
To hell with 'em

budbarrybob
3/28/2012, 06:10 PM
Wish him the best. IIRC his baby was already born when he Came to OU. He thought he could "handle" not being close. Well, he couldn't and transfered. So sit out a year. His decision live with it.

8timechamps
3/28/2012, 08:59 PM
Unless he's currently getting paid to play football I don't see the point. If he transferred to spend more time with his kid than not playing football should facilitate that. He chose to transfer knowing the rules, and tried to skirt them - it didn't work out. Now he can do what most other transfers get to do and that's sit out a year.

Absolutely. Besides, I don't think that (his child) had anything to so with him leaving. He left because he couldn't cut it at OU. There's no shame in that, not many can, but don't try to play the system because you made a bad decision. Sit out a year, then play where ever you like.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/28/2012, 09:12 PM
Unless he's currently getting paid to play football I don't see the point. If he transferred to spend more time with his kid than not playing football should facilitate that. He chose to transfer knowing the rules, and tried to skirt them - it didn't work out. Now he can do what most other transfers get to do and that's sit out a year.Also, if more transfers are allowed to play immediately upon transferring, that would encourage transferring, I believe. It's good that the NCAA upheld their own rule, here.

3/28/2012, 09:13 PM
He is lucky that it is not a 2 year suspension since gay&m are not in the Big XII anymore.Certainly!

Neath a Western Sky
3/28/2012, 10:26 PM
And try not having babies when you're in high school and unmarried.

stoopified
3/29/2012, 12:12 AM
And try not having babies when you're in high school and unmarried.True dat

Jason White's Third Knee
3/29/2012, 06:56 AM
And try not having babies when you're in high school and unmarried.

That is a fairly easy goal to accomplish. Stop having babies! Yeesh.

PrideMom
3/29/2012, 08:37 AM
You can't fix stupid!

BoulderSooner79
3/29/2012, 09:14 AM
I think our coaches mishandled this kid and I'm disappointed we couldn't keep him. On the other hand, if Williams can't hang in there and overcome adversity, things won't work out any better at aTm. There will always be hurdles in life and this NCAA ruling won't be the last for him.

EatLeadCommie
3/29/2012, 02:47 PM
He shouldn't get a hardship waiver, even though I'm sympathetic to his predicament.

Kids make stupid decisions and then try to get waivers that have to fall within pretty strict guidelines, and then act surprised when they don't get them. The worst case was Ben Mauk at Cinci a few years ago. The kid tried to make his case through the media when he had no shot at all at the waiver and was denied repeatedly. Not to mention that he lied to try and get it.

85sooners
3/29/2012, 04:02 PM
:playful:

colleyvillesooner
3/29/2012, 04:54 PM
Absolutely. Besides, I don't think that (his child) had anything to so with him leaving. He left because he couldn't cut it at OU. There's no shame in that, not many can, but don't try to play the system because you made a bad decision. Sit out a year, then play where ever you like.

chicken dinner

3/29/2012, 07:30 PM
Absolutely. Besides, I don't think that (his child) had anything to so with him leaving. He left because he couldn't cut it at OU. There's no shame in that, not many can, but don't try to play the system because you made a bad decision. Sit out a year, then play where ever you like.Maybe they told him it's OK to have football dropsy at aTm.

VA Sooner
3/29/2012, 08:43 PM
Leaving the team in a hurry... no hardship waiver there. Sit out a year, learn the playbook and mature a bit.

trwxxa
3/30/2012, 09:08 PM
FWIW

http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=205406394

Soonermagik
3/30/2012, 11:11 PM
Most guys that transfer and sit out a year never do anything.

tulsaoilerfan
3/31/2012, 11:35 PM
Wish him the best. IIRC his baby was already born when he Came to OU. He thought he could "handle" not being close. Well, he couldn't and transfered. So sit out a year. His decision live with it.

keep it in your pants and you won't have this problem to begin with

MamaMia
4/1/2012, 06:43 PM
Rules are rules. Its much better to have those babies when you are in a position to meet that responsibility without prior obligations that may interfere with parenthood.

Ruf/Nek7
4/1/2012, 09:14 PM
A bunch of Ags are saying he hasn't even filed for a hardship waiver because he is expected to be red shirted for a year and carry out his remaining 3 years after.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/2/2012, 08:14 PM

The problem is that every transfer tries something like this to get out of sitting out. Traditionally, the only time that waivers are applied is when the school you are transferring FROM sides with you on the appeal. We did that with Tashard Choice, but there was no way on earth we were going to do it here.

picasso
4/2/2012, 08:18 PM
What does Arcee say about it?

Salt City Sooner
4/3/2012, 05:44 AM
Speaking of not so fast, apparently he hasn't been turned down yet:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/aggies/entries/2012/03/30/internet_buzz_on_rb_transfer_i.html?cxntfid=blogs_ the_12th_word_at_am

cccasooner2
4/3/2012, 11:08 AM
Speaking of not so fast, apparently he hasn't been turned down yet:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/aggies/entries/2012/03/30/internet_buzz_on_rb_transfer_i.html?cxntfid=blogs_ the_12th_word_at_am
“We are in the process of putting together information for a request, but we have not submitted anything to the NCAA on behalf of Brandon Williams at this time,” said David Batson, A&M director of compliance.

LOL, talk about the misinformation highway. Apparently John Taylor has no credible sources. :D