PDA

View Full Version : Derek Strait - Defensive Quality Control Assistant

8timechamps
3/27/2012, 02:02 PM
How does this work? Does Strait count against the coaching number limits for the team, or does his position as "Quality Control" circumvent the number limit?

KantoSooner
3/27/2012, 02:46 PM
I think we should simply allow Derek to 'discuss' this wiith any party asserting that he counts against the overall number. Should settle things down with dispatch.

8timechamps
3/27/2012, 03:32 PM
I think we should simply allow Derek to 'discuss' this wiith any party asserting that he counts against the overall number. Should settle things down with dispatch.

True. :D

LVSOONER15
3/27/2012, 04:05 PM
Glad to see him back.

StoopTroup
3/27/2012, 05:16 PM
He's a Ghost Coach...lol

goingoneight
3/27/2012, 06:04 PM
It's a title to keep within NCAA rules. Every program finds a way to get the young minds on staff that they want and can have without other programs trying to snag them away.

8timechamps
3/27/2012, 06:24 PM
It's a title to keep within NCAA rules. Every program finds a way to get the young minds on staff that they want and can have without other programs trying to snag them away.

I kinda figured that was the case, but wasn't sure. More than anything, Derrick can relate to the players in the secondary (probably more than any of the older coaches), and brings some quality experience with him. I think it's a great addition.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2012, 08:53 PM
How does this work? Does Strait count against the coaching number limits for the team, or does his position as "Quality Control" circumvent the number limit?

The only NCAA limits are with paid coaches who can contact recruits and paid coaches who can interact with players. The key phrase here is paid. If Strait wanted to volunteer and not be paid he can interact with the players to his heart's content (i think this also includes during voluntary workouts).

More commonly though coaches keep consultants on staff to go over things like gamefilm, practice film, stats etc. They can't have any interaction with the players, but can help coaches evaluate things and that analysis can be passed on to the player.

8timechamps
3/27/2012, 09:38 PM
The only NCAA limits are with paid coaches who can contact recruits and paid coaches who can interact with players. The key phrase here is paid. If Strait wanted to volunteer and not be paid he can interact with the players to his heart's content (i think this also includes during voluntary workouts).

More commonly though coaches keep consultants on staff to go over things like gamefilm, practice film, stats etc. They can't have any interaction with the players, but can help coaches evaluate things and that analysis can be passed on to the player.

So, it sounds like the bottom line is if you're being paid and interacting with the players, you count against the numbers. Am I reading that right?

SoonerMom2
3/27/2012, 11:00 PM
NCAA now allows four GA's instead of two and why OU announced the four GA's for August. Straight is already here in school. From ESPN: Derrick Strait is back in Norman. A cornerback on the 2000 national championship team and winner of the 2003 Nagurski and Thorpe awards, Strait has been brought back as a defensive quality control assistant on Bob Stoops’ staff

PalmBeachSooner
3/28/2012, 12:28 PM
In the ESPN interview he did with JT he said he was interacting with players.

8timechamps
3/28/2012, 09:04 PM
NCAA now allows four GA's instead of two and why OU announced the four GA's for August. Straight is already here in school. From ESPN: Derrick Strait is back in Norman. A cornerback on the 2000 national championship team and winner of the 2003 Nagurski and Thorpe awards, Strait has been brought back as a defensive quality control assistant on Bob Stoops’ staff

Is he back in school? I thought he was hired on as a "coach", I didn't know he was back in classes.

VA Sooner
3/29/2012, 08:44 PM
Derek coaching the secondary... now that would be something!