PDA

View Full Version : Roundup on dormant bermuda?

jkjsooner
3/26/2012, 09:11 AM
Anyone ever spray roundup to kill weeds in dormant bermuda? My dad used to do that and it worked wonders. I just did it in early February and as my bermuda came out of dormancy it's clear I killed patches of it.

It was new sod so maybe it didn't go fully into dormancy or maybe the winter here in NC wasn't cold enough this year for it to go fully into dormancy.

Anyone know if the grass will recover in these spots? I'm assuming worst case it will spread back in from the edges.

jkjsooner
3/26/2012, 09:12 AM
And ironically I used to work at a state park where we sprayed roundup all the time and for some reason the places I sprayed never seemed to die off as well as others.

Lott's Bandana
3/26/2012, 09:49 AM
I have the same thing going on. I have some berm that grew to about 9'' and is dormant now. I want to get rid of it, and pulling it would be hell because it is all tangled in some landscaping. However, it is my understanding that Roundup only works when the grass is growing, as it does something like make it go into overdrive, like making it OD on itself.

I'm probably going to go out and pull as much as I can, but the root system is what needs to be eliminated.

jk the sooner fan
3/26/2012, 09:59 AM
yes i have

works fine - you cant kill dormant grass

although by now - i doubt that your bermuda is as dormant as you think it is - if you live in the OK/TX area

Lott's Bandana
3/26/2012, 10:33 AM
Great point. I was just out pulling and there are tender, green shoots all along the level of the dirt. Even with Roundup, I'll have to pull, but I want to get the Berm under control before I put in my knockouts and crepe myrtles I have planned for that area.

achiro
3/26/2012, 11:51 AM
I've done it the last three years and my yard has looked better than it ever did with the commercial guys doing it.

jk the sooner fan
3/26/2012, 01:01 PM
even if you spray it now - that bermuda will still come back - may take a bit longer

pphilfran
3/26/2012, 02:12 PM
I sprayed two weeks ago and annihilated my Bermuda...at least I ain't got no weeds...

cleller
3/26/2012, 02:37 PM
Bermuda is the kudzu of grass. it'll be back. Its sneaky in that you'll have some looking dead, then the bermuda send runners right thru it and take off again. Then you've got new bermuda, as well as old dead grass to deal with.

pphilfran
3/26/2012, 02:51 PM
I know...there are a few green sprouts here and there...

Turd_Ferguson
3/26/2012, 05:48 PM
I don't worry bout no weeds...My bermuda is thick enough, it'll choke out a sticker patch if it has to...

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 06:27 PM
Hit it with some Miracle Grow. The weeds will grow tall enough that you can pull them out with a log chain and your Bermuda will be fine. Never use the round up. On fence lines just use diesel fuel and a propane torch. Let the fire dept know when you are gonna trim the fence line. Also, avoid windy days and make sure you soak the yard around the fence pretty good and make sure it's not illegal in your area. If you really have bad weeds, drive to Mexico. I think you can still buy the good stuff. Might as well pickup some DDT while you are there. :D ;)

Lott's Bandana
3/27/2012, 10:16 AM
This is a nice calendar put out by Arky:

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/lawns/Weeds/weed_control_calendar.htm#Table%202

This year, everything seems to be a month early.

pphilfran
3/27/2012, 10:33 AM
Hit it with some Miracle Grow. The weeds will grow tall enough that you can pull them out with a log chain and your Bermuda will be fine. Never use the round up. On fence lines just use diesel fuel and a propane torch. Let the fire dept know when you are gonna trim the fence line. Also, avoid windy days and make sure you soak the yard around the fence pretty good and make sure it's not illegal in your area. If you really have bad weeds, drive to Mexico. I think you can still buy the good stuff. Might as well pickup some DDT while you are there. :D ;)

Never use diesel and a propane torch to remove weeds...

jkjsooner
3/27/2012, 12:41 PM
I sprayed two weeks ago and annihilated my Bermuda...at least I ain't got no weeds...

Looks like we're in the same boat. I swear it was early Feb at the latest when I sprayed it. We have had a very mild winter in NC so I'm guessing it never went into full dormancy. I made sure I didn't spray anywhere where it looked like there was some green down by the roots..

Now it's almost time to till up my winter ryegrass in my back yard and try to get bermuda growing back there. I'll be kind of sad because this ryegrass looks like a golf course.

KantoSooner
3/27/2012, 01:33 PM
Never use diesel and a propane torch to remove weeds...

Exactly. Firstly, it's not manly. Secondly, it leaves the roots. My patented technique is to mix roundup and johnson grass killer. Spray this liberally under the fence line. Let it soak for several hours (this may best be done in the cool morning hours). Then come back and re-spray with gasoline, heavily. Just at sun down. As the light fades, hit it with a match and stand back.
Little bastidge weeds and grass don't come back quick from this treatment.