PDA

View Full Version : I took a tour of the football facilities

BigTip
3/25/2012, 07:57 AM
Tags [Edit]: None
I came to Norman, without the family, to see my mom. No particular reason. Anyway, somehow she knew this guy that use to be a coach for the OU football team, Merv Johnson, an extremely nice guy. He took us on a tour of the Sooner football facilities yesterday. It was completely cool. All the training rooms, the locker room, meeting rooms, medical stuff, as well as the museum thing that is open to the public. All over every where were pictures of past award winners, national champion trophies, team pictures from bowl victories. We also went up into the stadium sky boxes. He showed us where Toby Keith keeps his margarita machine during the season. :adoration: Also how you can see the new building in downtown OKC from up there. The whole tour was just friggin awesome. Having beautiful weather just enhanced the whole experience.

I had not been in the stadium since I sold cokes there 40 years ago. The Barry Switzer center was a big change from the green bleachers that were there the last time I was in the stadium. lol

Yes, you should be jealous! It was very cool and I thank Coach Johnson again for taking the time with us.

LVSOONER15
3/25/2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Chuck Bao
3/25/2012, 10:35 AM
I am very jealous, BigTip. Coach Merv Johnson is a great ambassador for the OU football program. Living overseas, I only got the internet broadcast of Sooner Sports Radio network with play-by-play by Bob Barry Sr. and color commentary by Coach Merv Johnson. BBS is sorely missed. But I would still like to say thank you to Merv Johnson.

yermom
3/25/2012, 11:29 AM
that Merv tour is awesome

he's a super nice guy

OKC-SLC
3/25/2012, 12:40 PM
That sounds awesome. Having Merv give the tour would be something special.

MamaMia
3/25/2012, 05:42 PM
Tags [Edit]: None
I came to Norman, without the family, to see my mom. No particular reason. Anyway, somehow she knew this guy that use to be a coach for the OU football team, Merv Johnson, an extremely nice guy. He took us on a tour of the Sooner football facilities yesterday. It was completely cool. All the training rooms, the locker room, meeting rooms, medical stuff, as well as the museum thing that is open to the public. All over every where were pictures of past award winners, national champion trophies, team pictures from bowl victories. We also went up into the stadium sky boxes. He showed us where Toby Keith keeps his margarita machine during the season. :adoration: Also how you can see the new building in downtown OKC from up there. The whole tour was just friggin awesome. Having beautiful weather just enhanced the whole experience.

I had not been in the stadium since I sold cokes there 40 years ago. The Barry Switzer center was a big change from the green bleachers that were there the last time I was in the stadium. lol

Yes, you should be jealous! It was very cool and I thank Coach Johnson again for taking the time with us.Where's the margarita machine? Cough it up Grandpa.

Seriously...that is, in fact, totally awesome!

SoonerMarkVA
3/25/2012, 07:18 PM

Oh, yeah! I barely remember those now that you mention it.

StoopTroup
3/25/2012, 11:27 PM
They did that same tour on "Fan Day" Almost 2 years ago I think it was, minus having Merv and the location of the Margarita Machine. My Son even got to catch football passes down on the field with some other kids and do his EZ Dance. They even had the Equipment Rig out from and he got to sit in the Seat of OU's 18 Wheeler.

Very cool you got a tour from Merv.

If they have another "Fan Day" this year, I recomend that any of you who are Season Ticket Holders take the opportunity to go check it all out. We got a pick together of the 2000 NC Trophy outside the Locker Room and one with the Sun Bowl Trophy which is n
ow on display in the Switzer Center.

Honestly, how anyone didn't take the opportunity to take that tour they had is unbelievable to me as it's something my Son and I will remember forever. When we were leaving after the tour was over, I asked my Son if he had fun and he told me...."That was the best day of my Life Dad!".

Sounds like you had one of those kind of tours Tip.

Thanks for sharing. It reminded me of our little trip.

Soonerjeepman
3/26/2012, 03:37 PM
that's cool...my cousin was a manager back in the mid 90's...got to go back in all the places..minus the new ones...back then it was cool imagine now it's super cool! :playful:

cous gave me a helmet used one and a used football for a wedding gift!!!!!

oh..the pics of Boz...from frosh yr to soph yr...ummm..let's just say he was bigger...lol

HToady
3/26/2012, 04:36 PM
My HS Senior son took a campus visit last semester getting ready to decide on college. The tour doesn't include the stadium, but we hung around and wandered all over it. I was disappointed that the Switzer Center was not open, but I'm sure I'll get another chance since OU was his final choice.

Oh by the way, it sure looks like the field is 80 yards long....those endzones are tight! Not much room for standing around.

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 06:01 PM
I've had field passes around 6 times. It's pretty awesome. The Security down there has changed quite a bit and if you wander towards the sidelines Joe C's guys will come and talk you into leaving unless you have a Press Pass. Kids on a visit can kind of hang out around thes the Cheerleaders don't use and the End Zones are for Media. It's tight down there if you try and walk behind the bench to get to the other EZ and you don't want to hang out there. You aren't welcome no matter who you know.

If you ever get the privilege of field passes. Enjoy them but don't think you can hang out at half time with the Team....lol

BigTip
3/26/2012, 08:49 PM
You aren't welcome no matter who you know.

There are a few exceptions to that...speaking of Toby Keith. lol
http://blog.newsok.com/bamsblog/files/2009/10/toby-keith-ou-sideline-jim-beckel.jpg

StoopTroup
3/27/2012, 12:45 AM
There are a few exceptions to that...speaking of Toby Keith. lol
http://blog.newsok.com/bamsblog/files/2009/10/toby-keith-ou-sideline-jim-beckel.jpg

I figured him or Jim would come up but honestly...I've seen them on the sidelines and they know even they are guests down there and they pretty much stay in their place. Even Mangino when he was visiting didn't go near the Team much.