PDA

View Full Version : Toughest places to play...

8timechamps
3/24/2012, 09:09 PM
Outside of Norman (and not that it's crazy-loud), What is the loudest/most intimidating stadium you've been in?

Personally, I've never been to a stadium as loud as Tennessee's Neyland stadium, however, that was almost 10 years ago, and I think it's lost it's mystic over the past few years. Death Valley would be a close second (I was there for a night game once)...the fans started drinking in the morning, and by the time the game rolled around, the place was crazy.

yermom
3/24/2012, 10:19 PM
I'm going with Eugene

Honorable mention to the 12th man in Seattle

agoo758
3/25/2012, 12:26 AM
From a local.... I would day death valley is one of the most unpleasant places on Earth..... both for the players and anyone who isn't an LSU fan.

MamaMia
3/25/2012, 01:26 AM
I wont go to another game in Lubbock; not because its loud, but because of all the dust, the nasty language chants, the name calling, the local referees with their bias game calling antics, and the knot I get in the pit of my stomach seeing all the Texas Tech kids carrying all their infants to the game in whatever weather and with all that dust flying around.

LASooner
3/25/2012, 04:16 AM
I'm going with Eugene

That was the quietest stadium I ever heard for 57 mins, then they stole the game and it was really loud for the last 3

OU69BeaufortCounty
3/25/2012, 10:31 AM
Florida State can't match LSU or Oregon for total noise, but that has to be one of the more annoying places to visit. They have the speaker system
set on "pain" to supplement the crowd noise. The flashing light scoreboard uses seizure-inducing style strobe flashes when the opposing team (only)
is calling signals. For downright annoyance, the tomahawk chop chant wears thins quickly. The best strategy is to get them down by 4 TDs early and they shut up. For the most part they are good sports and once beaten, take their licking and go home quietly.

One moment that cracked me up was the sacred flinging of the flaming spear by the guy on horseback. Everyone was on their feet and waiting. It's almost a religious experience for those folks. Guys with colored tape ran down the field cordoning off the middle lane for the horse to ride (bet they have a red hot Occupational Safety course at FSU) and pushing all the band, etc off to the sides. Then the TV guy with the orange gloves put everything on hold for a full 60 seconds waiting for the commercials. The horse finally got tired of hanging around and laid a huge dump near the end zone right about the same spot where the FSU receiver later got blasted and a TD turned into a fumble recovered by OU. Maybe he stepped in something?

XingTheRubicon
3/26/2012, 09:19 AM
Sat on the 20th row in Eugene, right next to the students. ...and it never rains at Autzen

Loud. est.

2003 Alabama. Very loud, great...and I mean great fans.

2011 Tallahassee. Awesome gameday atmosphere, more whores than a Corey Hart concert, and pretty good fans...had a blast. lot of whores. a lot

2009 Miami. Tongue kissing the oldest woman in a nursing home.

LVSOONER15
3/26/2012, 09:35 AM
2009 Miami. Tongue kissing the oldest woman in a nursing home.

Now that sounds fun. lol

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 01:43 PM
Tuscaloosa but the last time we were there their SEC speed evidently was so fast they forgot to out score us.

Also....until you enjoy a nice away Game with the Mad Hatter in Baton Rouge, I think you'll be happy about your treatment in Lubbock.

Also....I'd probably agree with the FSU thing and add that the way Florida and Tebow made the OB feel like it was a Home Game, I'm betting the Swamp is as bad as Tallahoochie.

yermom
3/26/2012, 02:09 PM
somehow i forgot about Miami, that was a pretty crazy place too.

they seemed pretty cool about it too, really

kbsooner21
3/26/2012, 03:33 PM
Kyle Field was loud as hell until Torrance Marshall ripped their hearts out

Salt City Sooner
3/26/2012, 04:58 PM
It's not much to look at (to say the least) so I wouldn't necessarily call it intimidating, but KSU's the only one I've been in that I can say that my ears hurt from crowd noise. The way they built that place, there's no place for the noise to go, & although a lot of it's cheesy stuff (i.e. "good for a KSU FIRST DOWN!!"), their fans do get into the game. Heupel himself said in his book that it was the loudest stadium he's ever played in.

papawlambert
3/26/2012, 08:05 PM
Just wait till you get to Morgantown. You better wear your helmets as it rains beer bottles sometime.

PrideTrombone
3/26/2012, 10:37 PM
2000 KSU... when they blocked our punt in the 3rd quarter, my ears literally overloaded from the crowd noise.

Sabanball
3/26/2012, 10:50 PM
Don't you guys have a h/h with LSU in the next decade? Baton Rouge, at least since 2000, has quietly become one of the toughest places to play as a road team.

Sabanball
3/26/2012, 10:52 PM
Tuscaloosa but the last time we were there their SEC speed evidently was so fast they forgot to out score us. Also....until you enjoy a nice away Game with the Mad Hatter in Baton Rouge, I think you'll be happy about your treatment in Lubbock.Also....I'd probably agree with the FSU thing and add that the way Florida and Tebow made the OB feel like it was a Home Game, I'm betting the Swamp is as bad as Tallahoochie.

....and you were playing a team on probation complete with scholly limitations.

StoopTroup
3/27/2012, 12:41 AM
....and you were playing a team on probation complete with scholly limitations.

I'm gonna mOUnt this one with the hook in it's mOUth. :D

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PWO3271.jpg

OUstud
3/27/2012, 12:44 AM
2000 KSU... when they blocked our punt in the 3rd quarter, my ears literally overloaded from the crowd noise.

This. One of those, "it's so loud, I can't hear myself yelling at my dad sitting next to me how loud it is" games.

8timechamps
3/27/2012, 02:14 PM
This. One of those, "it's so loud, I can't hear myself yelling at my dad sitting next to me how loud it is" games.

Surprisingly, KSU can get really loud. There's absolutely nothing special about the stadium, and we know it isn't that big, so I guess it comes from so many decades of being the conference doormat and finally being able to compete.

SoonerAtKU
3/27/2012, 02:20 PM

2001 KSU in Norman got really damn loud as well. It was one of those "so loud it gets quiet again" moments that I think you're describing. I for sure blew my voice out by the end.

TheUnnamedSooner
3/27/2012, 05:43 PM
I'm going with Eugene

I was not that impressed with Eugene. Tiny stadium and didn't seem that loud. 2000 @ aTm was much louder. This past season at FSU was pretty impressive and loud. Good fans there, a lot better than the ones I encountered in 2000.

PalmBeachSooner
3/28/2012, 12:37 PM
One thing is for sure and that is the locals kick it up quite a few notches when OU comes to town.

trey
3/28/2012, 12:45 PM

That was amazing. It was like a bomb when off when that punt got blocked.

I wasn't impressed with Autzen, maybe because I was in the top row of the OU section.

FSU was impressive, they stood and yelled for every OU snap.

Nebraska 2000 and Tech 2008 are by far the loudest OU games I've been to.

UberSooner
3/28/2012, 04:37 PM
Lawrence Kansas. It's intimidating in the same way as an old abandoned house is. It's un-nerving.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/28/2012, 04:52 PM
My pants.

Because what's inside is so intimidating.

I Am Right
3/28/2012, 08:41 PM
Places I have been A & M, places I will never go again MU

85sooners
3/28/2012, 10:41 PM
This was a loud moment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zMnb4G_zi4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

picasso
3/28/2012, 10:51 PM
Sperry isn't on that list? It's tough to beat them and their officials from Turley.

Jason White's Third Knee
3/29/2012, 07:00 AM
Tucumcari NM is the toughest place to play. Lots of gopher holes.

fadada1
3/29/2012, 09:23 PM
in no particular order:

carrier dome - spurts of loudness, but not sustained
UF v. fsu/tennessee - lots of fun, loud and sustained
ASU v. arizona (at sun devil stadium) - LOUD, LOUD, LOUD

loudest i've ever experienced, including concerts - spring 1990, lloyd noble stadium - OU vs. mizzouri and kansas

8timechamps
3/29/2012, 09:30 PM
in no particular order:

carrier dome - spurts of loudness, but not sustained
UF v. fsu/tennessee - lots of fun, loud and sustained
ASU v. arizona (at sun devil stadium) - LOUD, LOUD, LOUD

loudest i've ever experienced, including concerts - spring 1990, lloyd noble stadium - OU vs. mizzouri and kansas

I've always thought the Carrier Dome should be perpetually listed among the loudest venues, but it isn't. I've never been there, but it just seems built for sound. Maybe a consistent winning football program would help that. I've heard it (on TV) get pretty loud during basketball games.

vtsooner21
3/30/2012, 06:22 AM
To my complete surprise, Dartmouth wasn't listed in the top ten....
Boomer

pphilfran
3/30/2012, 06:38 AM
That was the quietest stadium I ever heard for 57 mins, then they stole the game and it was really loud for the last 3

I wasn't that loud the last three minutes...half of em had already left...

As they left I was waving to them while I thanking them about the nice a time I had had...

Then a minute later......

oudavid1
3/30/2012, 07:52 AM
Outside of Norman (and not that it's crazy-loud), What is the loudest/most intimidating stadium you've been in?

Personally, I've never been to a stadium as loud as Tennessee's Neyland stadium, however, that was almost 10 years ago, and I think it's lost it's mystic over the past few years. Death Valley would be a close second (I was there for a night game once)...the fans started drinking in the morning, and by the time the game rolled around, the place was crazy.

YEAH BABY!

thecrimsoncrusader
3/30/2012, 09:34 AM
Only bad football programs win in Norman. I can live with that.

PrideTrombone
4/1/2012, 04:11 PM
It wasn't as loud as OU-OSU in 2003. Everyone was two years' worth of pissed-off at Les Miles. In my experience, that's when Owen Field is the loudest... when we're mad.

cccasooner2
4/1/2012, 04:49 PM
Rome, GA, when the NAIA championships have been played lately, it is a mudfest.

fadada1
4/1/2012, 07:07 PM
I've always thought the Carrier Dome should be perpetually listed among the loudest venues, but it isn't. I've never been there, but it just seems built for sound. Maybe a consistent winning football program would help that. I've heard it (on TV) get pretty loud during basketball games.
was there for OU in '94, and a couple penn state games in the late 80's. very, very loud. also saw prince there during the Purple Rain tour when i was in 8th grade - most stoned i've ever been... and never actually made contact with weed.

only ever saw one basketball game there - worst place EVAR to see basketball.

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2012, 07:16 PM
Bryant-Denny was the loudest place I've ever been when Terrence Cody blocked the potential winning FG in 2009. As a general rule, I'm not that impressed with the crowd noise there. I think it's mainly because their jackass S&C coach gets on the jumbotron and screams a couple of times a game. Just annoys the **** out of me.

SoonerofAlabama
4/1/2012, 08:37 PM
Death Valley, IMO

8timechamps
4/1/2012, 11:01 PM
YEAH BABY!

I'll give credit to the folks in Knoxville, they know how to host 100,000k+ for an afternoon of football. From the Vol navy on the river to the enclosed stadium, it's pretty amazing. Most of my family still lives in Knoxville (or surroundings areas), and I even spent the first five years of my life in Knoxville. As a truly non-biased spectator, it's fun to sit and take it all in. Every devout college football fan should make
it to one game in Knoxville, just once in their life. It's pretty amazing.