PDA

View Full Version : Good story on the Stoops Brothers

Mazeppa
3/24/2012, 08:11 PM
Good story, I haven't seen it on here. (sorry if this has already been posted)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/17921940/reunited-at-oklahoma-bob-and-mike-stoops-are-back-and-better-than-ever

blacktop
3/24/2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks. Good story.

MamaMia
3/25/2012, 02:16 AM
He is making adjustments to the Sooners defense to better deal with spread offenses after facing plenty of them out West, emphasizing speed on the field and minimizing the the opponent's ability to target a specific area or player on the field.

"Some other opportunities came after that. For me, if Oklahoma was going to be an option, that was my first choice. OU is a team that can win every time they step out onto the field. I wanted to go to someplace where they're competing for championships. I wanted to go somewhere big and where you can make an impact."

I think this is a good move, but as always, my concern will be with the secondary D. If we can fix that problem, have a good kicking game and spacial teams appearance, I can see us play for another NC.

cleller
3/25/2012, 08:29 AM
I feel warmer and more relaxed now.

In HS my daughter ran track and cross country. She kept a photo of Mike Stoops screaming at someone on the bathroom mirror before meets.

LRoss
3/25/2012, 02:41 PM
Saw that, great read.

LVSOONER15
3/25/2012, 02:45 PM
A great read I saw on another board. Thanks for sharing.

oumartin
3/26/2012, 10:47 AM
Aso Pogi just threw another touchdown. ;)

oudavid1
3/26/2012, 11:31 AM
WAIT, BOB AND MIKE ARE RELATED?

:D

MamaMia
3/26/2012, 12:50 PM
This is good in so many ways. The mother in me also believes that OU is a good choice because when Mikes children come for visits, there will be family and familiarity there in Norman.

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 01:05 PM
They better win or they both will be looking around for jobs. The Monster won't allow for this reunion to stay intact for to long. The sad thing is that Mike is already said he's ready to leave again once they are successful. Nothing is for sure when it comes to National Championships and if the two of them can make it to another NC can the Monster handle it if it doesn't yield a win? I'm not sure it can.

This move has had me worried from the moment The Monster started to drool. Also...how can Mike not have his own place? This feels like a rehab more than a Defensive Coordinator Coaching Job. At least it does for now.

In 2000, it wasn't until after the 4th Game against KU that I felt Bob and Mike had a Team that was pretty special and once they came back against Eric Crouch and a really great Husker Team in Norman did I think they were going to be Big XII Champions. The game we played against oSu in stoolwater was awful but beating K-State at Arrowhead and in Manhaten that year along with the miracle win in College Station really left you wondering what kind of Team OU was bringing to play Florida State with.

Since then we have had Florida State's number ever since but we have had let downs in Bowls and Regular Season Games that have boggled the minds of us all.

Is Mike the missing link?

We will see. Hopefully we don't endure another almost before a Season as good or better than 2000.

picasso
3/26/2012, 01:15 PM
Ohhh how do you define success? If anything we'll keep doing what we've been doing. Winning conference titles and an occasional NC run.

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 01:36 PM
Ohhh how do you define success? If anything we'll keep doing what we've been doing. Winning conference titles and an occasional NC run.

I was actually pretty good with a 10 win Season considering the amount of injuries we had last year. When injuries like Whaley and Broyles happen, they are hard to overcome unless one of your Freshmen run out onto the field and show the kind of play that might have folks talking about them becoming an All-American their 2nd Season. We didn't see players step up. We saw kids who should have smelled opportunity react like they didn't come here to play like a Champion, instead they came here to play with some Champions. Once we lost a few Champions they really went into shock IMO. It wasn't fun to watch and I imagine it wasn't fun to Coach but I do think that last year was one of Bob's best years as a Coach. When things went bad he somehow put the best Team he had together and then followed the loss with a Win. Fans who thought the Team was done were given a dose of STFU after every loss last year. That is success. It's not the kind we expect but it is success.

SoonerDood
3/26/2012, 07:37 PM
Aso Pogi just threw another touchdown. ;)
Did that ever happen?

BigTip
3/26/2012, 09:06 PM
"putting the band back together"
That made me laugh.
It's a good article. Synergy, like-minded, magic. Whatever it is, let's hope it starts up again.

goingoneight
3/27/2012, 01:30 PM
The spread offenses are way better than they were ten years ago and they're becoming a lot more common than just saying we have one tough offense on our schedule to defend ala Tech back in the earlier Stoops days. You can still have a truly great defensive showing sandwiched between maybe a few where one or two little differences team-wide end up being the fall of your team. For instance... we got into high-scoring affairs with Tech and BU because their offenses caught fire and we didn't make enough plays team-wide to overcome it. Then, we take on two arguably as good or better teams in A&M and ISU and the defense won the game. I think if you look back at the great 2001 defense, you won't see them faced consistently with the Griffin, Doege, Weeden and Tannehill that we tend to see now. The sad thing for defenses is that the offenses are getting better still every year. Especially when a defense is handicapped by even more rule changes each year. Like... brushing a left tackle's facemask is a 15-yard penalty. Shoving your whole arm into a safety's facemask is a great stiff-arm job. Dragging a receiver down by the pads used to be how a DB brought down a guy who was a step faster than him... now, it's an automatic first down.
QBs are evolving each year, getting to be too good make little mistakes like lining up wrong or not being a great tackler. Sam could thread the needle against even the best coverages and he's far from the only one anymore who can. Also, you won't see many games anymore where pressuring the QB = landslide victory. Some offenses have the play executed before a DL even gets his head up.