PDA

View Full Version : We have to be doing something right

MamaMia
3/23/2012, 09:59 PM
Sold out stadium since 1999; 80 games. Everytime I see that, it just boggles my mind.

All I have to say about that is...

BOOMER...

LVSOONER15
3/24/2012, 12:06 AM
Let's keep it going. SOONER!!!!

VA Sooner
3/24/2012, 06:06 PM
More sold out games....

BOOMER!

Mazeppa
3/24/2012, 08:13 PM
I've done my part, I've been there

8timechamps
3/24/2012, 09:04 PM
Bob Stoops has only lost three games at home since he's been at OU.

Think about that for a minute...

I don't know if they keep records for coaching wins/losses at home, but that is an amazing number. Most teams would be thrilled with only 3 losses in a season, Stoops has only had three at home in 12 years. Truly amazing.

Salt City Sooner
3/24/2012, 09:24 PM
One thing that makes that stat even more mind-boggling (& a little bittersweet, IMO) is that not one of those losses was to a ranked team.

agoo758
3/25/2012, 12:28 AM
We beat an second ranked Tech team by 45 and lose to a 7 loss tech team..... both in the same stadium.... go figure! :D

MamaMia
3/25/2012, 01:10 AM
Barry Switzer himself said that you cant be up for every game. I don't know the full meaning of what he meant because when Barry was coaching, we would win a lot of games even when we weren't playing up to our full potential. I admit that I still have my Saturday to Wednesday afternoon meltdown no matter where we get beat.

MamaMia
3/25/2012, 01:13 AM
More sold out games....

BOOMER!Oh, and as Barry also said..."Its bad luck to leave a "BOOMER" unanswered."

So...SOONER!!

OUTrumpet
3/25/2012, 10:43 AM
Barry Switzer himself said that you cant be up for every game. I don't know the full meaning of what he meant because when Barry was coaching, we would win a lot of games even when we weren't playing up to our full potential. I admit that I still have my Saturday to Wednesday afternoon meltdown no matter where we get beat.

He means no matter what you do, sometimes the team just doesn't care. They expect to win because they're good. They know they're bigger, stronger, faster, and have better coaches. Or they are just tired. They see no difference between putting in the work that week and not. So they don't try hard and get their butts in trouble. Sometimes you can come back from that, sometimes you can't.

yermom
3/25/2012, 11:27 AM
see Kansas, 1975

XingTheRubicon
3/26/2012, 09:22 AM
and for some reason, Missouri the next week

Go Joe.

jumperstop
3/26/2012, 09:34 AM
I wish it would still LOOK sold out. Sometimes it seems to get pretty thin.

SteelClip49
3/26/2012, 09:42 AM
IMO...when I think of sold out, I think of no empty seats. There's no pride in this stat. I hate going to games and seeing a bunch of empty seats. Seriously, there is nothing better to do on a Saturday in the state of Oklahoma than to be inside Oklahoma Memorial Stadium for a game.

MamaMia
3/26/2012, 01:08 PM
There are never any empty seats around us, however I do know that people will use a ticket to get in and then go sit where their friends are, crowding that area.

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 01:22 PM
I agree with Clip. Sold out is when you can't find a ticket to get in with from even a scalper before the game kicks off.

I know Mama is starting a bit of feel good promotion before the Red n White Game but Mike Stoops or not, an Iowa Bowl win in Tuscon or even a fairly decent recruiting class this year...we still need to see players that can replace Broyles, DeMarco and 2008 Travis Lewis. Sure we saw a walk on Surprise us all in Whaley but living up to the standards of a DeMarco Murray and being available every Game is what we need. Having a Ryan Broyles and a Kenny Stills and 3 others that can spread out and confuse defenses for 13 games is what we need. Having a Leader on Defense that leaves it all on the field every down and inspires that kind of play to everyone around him is what we need.

I surely hope to see these things this year but the guys on this Team have some really big shoes to fill if we are going to root them to a Big XII CG and beyond.

Jason White's Third Knee
3/26/2012, 07:50 PM
I agree with Clip. Sold out is when you can't find a ticket to get in with from even a scalper before the game kicks off.

I know Mama is starting a bit of feel good promotion before the Red n White Game but Mike Stoops or not, an Iowa Bowl win in Tuscon or even a fairly decent recruiting class this year...we still need to see players that can replace Broyles, DeMarco and 2008 Travis Lewis. Sure we saw a walk on Surprise us all in Whaley but living up to the standards of a DeMarco Murray and being available every Game is what we need. Having a Ryan Broyles and a Kenny Stills and 3 others that can spread out and confuse defenses for 13 games is what we need. Having a Leader on Defense that leaves it all on the field every down and inspires that kind of play to everyone around him is what we need.

I surely hope to see these things this year but the guys on this Team have some really big shoes to fill if we are going to root them to a Big XII CG and beyond.

Big XII CG??? Crazy.

I am pretty stoked about Jaz, Stills, and Metoyer. We weren't bad last year. It just feels like an off year cause we weren't healthy and we looked vulnerable. The RGIII game could have been ours easily. Tech was nuts too. Hell my tech buddies didn't even leave scoreboard messages on my VM. We cut down the turnovers an play some D and we'll be back on top. Just stop dropping the damn ball!!!

8timechamps
3/26/2012, 08:05 PM
Big XII CG??? Crazy.

I am pretty stoked about Jaz, Stills, and Metoyer. We weren't bad last year. It just feels like an off year cause we weren't healthy and we looked vulnerable. The RGIII game could have been ours easily. Tech was nuts too. Hell my tech buddies didn't even leave scoreboard messages on my VM. We cut down the turnovers an play some D and we'll be back on top. Just stop dropping the damn ball!!!

I'm with you brother! Can't wait to see this group of receivers, and can only pray we hold on to the ball!

StoopTroup
3/27/2012, 12:39 AM
Big XII CG??? Crazy.

I'll never argue about the Tech game or the BU Game as we could have easily won either one of them if a few plays or calls had gone our way. It's not my intent to crack on our Team but if we are to play like Champions.....we need some Champions to catch the passes Jones throws to them. He's a damn good QB even though mentioning it causes a colossal argument on this board.

mainline13
3/30/2012, 08:42 AM

Yeah, Whaley is such a pansy, letting his ankle break when that 300 pound yak rolled up his leg.

Seriously, though. I understand what you're saying, but Demarco-type talent doesn't come along that often. We could get the best RBs available each and every year, and we still might only see a DeMarco once in a decade.

Whaley is not your typical walk-on. Had he understood the system when he was in HS and attended a camp or two, he would have been offered by some top programs. He may not be DeMarco Murray good, but he could be Chris Brown good, and that ain't too shabby.

yermom
3/30/2012, 09:21 AM
DeMarco wasn't exactly invincible either...

StoopTroup
3/31/2012, 03:24 AM
DeMarco wasn't exactly invincible either...

When I see them saying Stuff like this in Whaley's Bio, I'll buy into this deal that he deserves the accolades he's getting from mainliners. Dear ML....STFU.

2010 All-Big 12 First Team
2009 All-Big 12 Second Team
2008 All-Big 12 First Team (Coaches)
2008 All-Big 12 Second Team (AP)
2007 Freshman All-American (Rivals)

Also at the end of Whaley's Career there isn't much room in the Rooting for Whaley Fan Club for much more rooting from me for him to post DeMarco Murray Numbers over his career. Stoops obviously though he was good enough that if he wanted it bad enough he could overcome some of the things Mainliner is talking about that kept Whaley from being highly pursued. Should Whaley also be the kind of player that can rehabilitate a really awful Season Ending Injury like he sustained against K-State last year, I think he stands a very good chance of being one of those Oklahoma Running Backs that they write books about. Once he's gotten through this next Season maybe we can start believing someone needs to start writing the introduction to his Football Biography at OU.

DeMarco had folks impressed at Dallas last season and they went from taking it slow and seeing how he does to depending on him every week to post Pro Bowl like stats.

3/31/2012, 06:23 AM
Whaley gave me a kidney once.

God bless 'em.

ouwasp
3/31/2012, 05:36 PM
The Buffalo Bills of the late 80s-early 90s were doing plenty of things right too...

If OU had just won one more MNC in the last decade, the nat'l image/perception of the Sooners (and the attitude of many fans) would be way different, imo.

But what can you do... except try to Feed the Monster some more?

MamaMia
3/31/2012, 05:58 PM
The Buffalo Bills of the late 80s-early 90s were doing plenty of things right too...

If OU had just won one more MNC in the last decade, the nat'l image/perception of the Sooners (and the attitude of many fans) would be way different, imo.

But what can you do... except try to Feed the Monster some more?Just like Barry said.

85sooners
4/1/2012, 08:08 AM
Boomer!!

King Barry's Back
4/1/2012, 08:42 PM
I admit that I still have my Saturday to Wednesday afternoon meltdown no matter where we get beat.

Boy, I used to be that way. When I was an undergrad, after a loss, I just couldn't make it to class til Wednesday (though my GPA is thankful that we barely ever lost back then.) The Miami loss in '85, and '86, and again in '87 - though that was a bowl game so I didn't have class for a couple of weeks.

The 90s got me used to losing, though, so I guess that's the silver lining.

cleller
4/1/2012, 09:02 PM
Last year:
With Whaley=good
Without Whaley=bad.

Whaley Good.