PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games movie

ouwasp
3/23/2012, 07:20 PM
So I went to see this today with my wife. She has read the trilogy, as have our twins and my mother. And most of the students at the jr high where I teach.

But I have remained happily ignorant of The Hunger Games. I have so many other things I enjoy reading, I'll just watch the movie.

Now I might just read the books. The story was intriguing. It is set in a far-future Post-Apocalyptic society that requires a most unpleasant sacrifice from its citizens.

Pretty good escapist material. Old Don Sutherland was in it, along with Woody Harrelson. He seemed to steal the scenes he was in, imo. But the younger actors were very talented. The girl that played Roo, or Rue, however you spell it, is one to watch in the future!

If you find yourself "having" to take your kids or wife to see The Hunger Games, indulge them, and prepare to enjoy! The worst part was enduring the previews of some of the junk that's coming soon... :nonchalance:

Viking Kitten
3/23/2012, 08:42 PM
My 12-year-old dragged me to the 12:01 showing last night, we got home about 3 a.m. By 8:00 this morning, I was awake on my day off so I could start reading the book. Pretty good stuff. Orwellian overtones and all that.

As for the trailers, I'm thinking the Avengers looks pretty awesome.

achiro
3/23/2012, 09:24 PM
My son showed me the trailer for the movie a couple of months ago and it looked co enough that I read all three books the next week. We're going to try to get to the theater in the nex few days to check it out.

salth2o
3/23/2012, 10:55 PM
I had not even heard of the movie until last night when my daughter said some of her friends were going to the midnight showing.

I wondered WTF was the big deal about seeing it last night at midnight? Was this the only showing? Will it not be showing next week? I don't understand humans sometimes...

8timechamps
3/23/2012, 11:10 PM
Taking my 12 year old and his best friend tomorrow. Other than the previews, I haven't seen or know anything about it (which I prefer). My son is not the most avid reader, and he knocked out the trilogy pretty quick. I'm all for him reading, so anything that will keep his interest is good.

Going in blind, with no expectations, which usually translates to a good time.

Oh, and no Vampires, so that's a bonus.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/24/2012, 12:06 PM
Taking my 12 year old and his best friend tomorrow. Other than the previews, I haven't seen or know anything about it (which I prefer). My son is not the most avid reader, and he knocked out the trilogy pretty quick. I'm all for him reading, so anything that will keep his interest is good.

Going in blind, with no expectations, which usually translates to a good time.

Oh, and no Vampires, so that's a bonus.

I like not knowing anything about it also --- but I just hope there's no damned wizards.

StoopTroup
3/24/2012, 03:41 PM
I'm sitting in the IMAX waiting to see this one. My Wife and Daughter read the books and then lent them out before I had a chance to read them so my Son and I only know what was in the Trailers and the interviews some of the Actors have been doing to promote the Movie. Chelsey Handler had Stanley Tucci on her show to do an interview and I recorded it for my Daughter. Im glad I watched it before I let her watch it as Handler turned it into an "Adult" Rated interview. Some folks have no brains I swear. If you do a PG-13 Movie why promote it on an Adult Talk Show.

Anyway here come the previews....

8timechamps
3/24/2012, 08:55 PM
I actually enjoyed it. I think the boys (my 12 yo son and his biddy) were a little disappointed. In their words "There was too much love and not enough action!". I guess I could see that from a adolescent boy's perspective.

Anyway, having not read the books, I thought they did a good job of explaining everything in the time allowed. There were a few parts that kind of had me scratching my head, and I've always been a big Elizabeth Banks fan, but her beauty was not on display in this film. I also thought Lenny Kravits did a really good job. All in all, I thought it was pretty darn good.

If you have to take the kids to see it, and you haven't read the books, I would recommend NOT learning anything about it beforehand. Just enjoy the entertainment.

8timechamps
3/24/2012, 08:56 PM
I'm sitting in the IMAX waiting to see this one. My Wife and Daughter read the books and then lent them out before I had a chance to read them so my Son and I only know what was in the Trailers and the interviews some of the Actors have been doing to promote the Movie. Chelsey Handler had Stanley Tucci on her show to do an interview and I recorded it for my Daughter. Im glad I watched it before I let her watch it as Handler turned it into an "Adult" Rated interview. Some folks have no brains I swear. If you do a PG-13 Movie why promote it on an Adult Talk Show.

Anyway here come the previews....

I think that's about par for the course on her show. I used to like her, but not so much anymore.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/25/2012, 12:44 PM
I haven't read the books and I haven't seen the film, but ...

1. The lead female, Jennifer Lawrence, showed GREAT talent in Winter's Bone. She was nominated for about every Best Actress award there is for her role in that. In case you haven't seen Winter's Bone, it's one of the best of the last five years. It won the top award at Sundance Film Festival. Jennifer Lawrence may be the next great actress.

2. Last week, Cramer said Lionsgate stock has been on a roll with anticipation of Hunger Games, but it needed to rake in at least $120 million this first weekend to avoid a sell-off with such high expectations. Analysts were estimating around $100 million. Preliminary figures show $155 million, the most ever for a non-sequel. And third most ever among all openings.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/26/2012, 12:07 AM
Also, Cramer referred to Hunger Games as a four-quadrant movie - appealing to all four of the major demographic groups: males, females, over 25 and under 25.

Lots of stars in supporting roles. Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland, Stanley Tucci (Devil Wears Prada).

Viking Kitten
3/26/2012, 09:56 AM
My son is not the most avid reader, and he knocked out the trilogy pretty quick. I'm all for him reading, so anything that will keep his interest is good...

Word. For 12+ years, I've begged, I've pleaded, I've threatened, I've cajoled... and I've never been able to get that boy interested in books. I was reading Stephen King novels by the time I was 10 years old, so it's always been a major disappointment to me that he has not been an avid reader. Then these books came along and he was begging me to the store and buy his the next one in the series. After he watched the movie Thursday night, he even said something to the effect of "I can see now why you always say the books are usually better than the movies."

If this series kicks off a reading habit, I am going to be very happy with Suzanne Collins.

Oh, and no Vampires, so that's a bonus. Speaking of...Did anyone else see the trailer for "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer"? Is that maybe the most retarded movie concept in history or am I missing something?

C&CDean
3/26/2012, 11:32 AM
Before I became a Potterhead I would have scoffed at y'all over this thread. Now, I'll have to give the books and maybe the movie a shot. But I ain't going at midnight (I wouldn't do that even for the HP movies).

Viking Kitten
3/26/2012, 12:04 PM
I can honestly say I think it's something you would really enjoy, Dean. Lots of descriptions of hunting and survival strategies, and satire regarding the fashionable people in the Capitol who look like idiots.

picasso
3/26/2012, 01:19 PM
And it's written for 12 year old kids. Right up Deaner's alley.

C&CDean
3/26/2012, 01:52 PM
Want some candy little boy?

kbsooner21
3/26/2012, 03:19 PM
Want some candy little boy?

Heh

SicEmBaylor
3/26/2012, 03:29 PM
I never read this kind of stuff, or fiction at all, but I read all 3 books this weekend just to see what the hype was about.

C&CDean
3/26/2012, 03:31 PM
I never read this kind of stuff, or fiction at all, but I read all 3 books this weekend just to see what the hype was about.

And?

SicEmBaylor
3/26/2012, 03:41 PM
And?

I suppose it exceeded my expectations (which were low). Teaching kids not to blindly accept that power is just is an important message. There were quite a few themes like that which resonated with me.

The protagonist chick was too emotionally flighty for me. I suppose it fits since she's a 16/17 year old girl, but holy mother of baby Jesus was she emotionally naive and ignorant. It was fairly irritating. I don't understand how someone can not know or have trouble figuring out how they feel about someone or something. It's always been completely black and white for me.

As for the love triangle itself, thank God she ended up with the right guy............finally.

The lack of personal hygiene by most of the characters was somewhat off putting.

Howzit
3/26/2012, 04:53 PM
And it's written for 12 year old kids. Right up Deaner's alley.

He'd rather be right up their's.

C&CDean
3/26/2012, 05:05 PM
He'd rather be right up their's.

Or yours...just not Norm's.

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 06:13 PM
Funny how nobody ever had to poop, pee or use anti-bacterial hand gel. They had medicine that looked like KY Jelly that cured everything. Dr. McCoy (Bones) would have been fascinated by their primitive medicinal methods. Some of that could maybe have helped someone that got hit by a Phaser that was set higher than stun. It might have taken the wrinkles out of Worf's Forehead giving him that Circumcised Klingon look.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/worf-michael-dorn-now-290x400.jpg

SicEmBaylor
3/26/2012, 06:55 PM
Funny how nobody ever had to poop, pee or use anti-bacterial hand gel. They had medicine that looked like KY Jelly that cured everything. Dr. McCoy (Bones) would have been fascinated by their primitive medicinal methods. Some of that could maybe have helped someone that got hit by a Phaser that was set higher than stun. It might have taken the wrinkles out of Worf's Forehead giving him that Circumcised Klingon look.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/worf-michael-dorn-now-290x400.jpg

How many other movies show teenagers pooping, peeing, or using hand sanitizer?

Keep in mind that the book takes place hundreds of years after the present, so there are bound to be considerable advances in medicine which is pretty obvious when you read through the books. Also keep in mind that there are two levels of medical care: there are the natural and homeopathic treatments that are generally the only care available to people in the districts and then there is the modern/advanced medical care available to people from the Capitol.

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 07:01 PM
Hey Mr. sensitive. They were digging coal and eating Burnt bread that was for fatting up the pigs. When the kid throws her bread it lands in the muddy street where the pig poop runs off with the rain water. Also as easy as Freindship Bread is to make and Wheat is to harvest you'd think they would have been smart enough to grow and grind flour.

They could have had them wearing diapers as they got used to eating once they were shaving the hair and hot waxing their genitals prior to giving them suits of fire. Keep in mind that many folks who believe in homeopthic care are as stoned as Ricky Williams LoL

Did you forget that I too am the Son of an Osteopath? I understand that sometimes making an old Black Cordial or having a little bactine in your medicine cabinet might be useful.

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 07:14 PM
Btw it's a bit Hoky and pretty stupid. I kept thinking of Running Man without the Super Hero Suits. Stephen King is probably wondering how the hell this is making money.

picasso
3/26/2012, 08:05 PM
Stephen King is no doubt a better writer and uses big words and stuff compared to the Hunger Games but he ain't exactly batting .1000.
Pet Cemetery was pretty effing lame.

8timechamps
3/26/2012, 08:23 PM
Word. For 12+ years, I've begged, I've pleaded, I've threatened, I've cajoled... and I've never been able to get that boy interested in books. I was reading Stephen King novels by the time I was 10 years old, so it's always been a major disappointment to me that he has not been an avid reader. Then these books came along and he was begging me to the store and buy his the next one in the series. After he watched the movie Thursday night, he even said something to the effect of "I can see now why you always say the books are usually better than the movies."

If this series kicks off a reading habit, I am going to be very happy with Suzanne Collins.

Speaking of...Did anyone else see the trailer for "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer"? Is that maybe the most retarded movie concept in history or am I missing something?

Yep! I've been an avid reader since I was a kid, and thought it would transfer to my kids...not so much. This series of books and Collins certainly earned my respect, if only because my son is reading!

I didn't see the preview for Abe Lincoln: Vampire Killer before this movie, but I've seen it. I don't get it either...other than a studio looking to capitalize on the vampire thing (in which case, they seem a little late to the party).

I did see a preview for Tim Burton's new movie with Johnny Depp; Dark Shadows. Depp plays Dracula (I think), who wakes up in the suburbs in the 70's. It actually looked kind of good, but in an Edward Scissorhands kind of way.

Jacie
3/26/2012, 09:27 PM
I did see a preview for Tim Burton's new movie with Johnny Depp; Dark Shadows. Depp plays Dracula (I think), who wakes up in the suburbs in the 70's. It actually looked kind of good, but in an Edward Scissorhands kind of way.

I am guessing (maybe hoping) that reducing vampires to parody will mark the end or at least the beginning of the end of the current vampire craze (Love At First Bite did this back in the day). Mind you, I was always a big fan of vampire movies as long as they had something new to say, a twist or something unexpected to add to the genre. Vampires as beautiful, sensitive types was pretty much covered in the first book of the Twilight series and everything since was just a way to keep money flowing to the franchise (thus following in the footsteps of Lord of the Rings and/or Harry Potter as examples of how to extend the life of a cash cow).

Dark Shadows will actually fall within the realm of something new while entertaining us in much the same way as Beetlejuice.

SicEmBaylor
3/26/2012, 09:33 PM
I will burn down the theater before I sit and watch the Lincoln movie.

Burn it to the ground. Burn it all.

Blue
3/26/2012, 10:31 PM
Before I became a Potterhead I would have scoffed at y'all over this thread. Now, I'll have to give the books and maybe the movie a shot. But I ain't going at midnight (I wouldn't do that even for the HP movies).

Read Game of Thrones first for crying out loud ya big Girl!

Wishboned
3/26/2012, 11:13 PM
I am guessing (maybe hoping) that reducing vampires to parody will mark the end or at least the beginning of the end of the current vampire craze (Love At First Bite did this back in the day). Mind you, I was always a big fan of vampire movies as long as they had something new to say, a twist or something unexpected to add to the genre. Vampires as beautiful, sensitive types was pretty much covered in the first book of the Twilight series and everything since was just a way to keep money flowing to the franchise (thus following in the footsteps of Lord of the Rings and/or Harry Potter as examples of how to extend the life of a cash cow).

Dark Shadows will actually fall within the realm of something new while entertaining us in much the same way as Beetlejuice.

Dark Shadows is a remake of a late 60's soap opera of the same name. Depp is playing Barnabas Collins, and once again Burton is able to provide his wife with employment. There was also an early 90's remake of Dark Shadows with Ben Cross playing the lead role.

Blue
3/26/2012, 11:21 PM
Helen Bonham Carter is very pretty and talented so I don't mind. Thats a rare combo in movies these days.

8timechamps
3/26/2012, 11:40 PM
Dark Shadows is a remake of a late 60's soap opera of the same name. Depp is playing Barnabas Collins, and once again Burton is able to provide his wife with employment. There was also an early 90's remake of Dark Shadows with Ben Cross playing the lead role.

I kept thinking the name sounded familiar, that would be why.

I may be in the minority, but I like Johnny Depp (not all his politics and such, just his acting). He can be pretty funny at times. For me, the jury is still out on Tim Burton...sometimes I like his work, sometimes it just seems like he is trying to recreate a dream he had while on an acid trip. For example, even as a kid I thought there was something a little but creepy about Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, but when I saw the Burton Remake, and while it wasn't a horrible movie, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was dark. Just a strange dude, I think.

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 11:47 PM
Lincoln was the greatest President we have ever had. Just a genius who could read books by candle light.

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 11:50 PM
Read Game of Thrones first for crying out loud ya big Girl!

Yeah my Daughter has all those too. I think she's getting close to have read more books than I have but nobody will ever catch my post count on SFs.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/young-frankenstein.jpg

SicEmBaylor
3/26/2012, 11:50 PM
Lincoln was the greatest President we have ever had. Just a genius who could read books by candle light.

As opposed to everyone else at the time who read by lightbulb?

StoopTroup
3/27/2012, 12:03 AM
Lincoln invented the Hand held Gattling Gun. He did it after being shot at this one time were he had gone to the store for some candy and Ice Tea.

http://thisisthestoryof.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/presidentsday2012-01.jpg?w=600

SanJoaquinSooner
3/27/2012, 12:04 AM
The lack of personal hygiene by most of the characters was somewhat off putting.

The author of the new Steve Jobs biography was on Squawk on the Street this morning. He said after Jobs dropped out of college, he got a job at Atari. Due to his lack of hygiene, however, they created a night shift with Jobs the only one working that shift.

SicEmBaylor
3/27/2012, 12:12 AM
Lincoln invented the Hand held Gattling Gun. He did it after being shot at this one time were he had gone to the store for some candy and Ice Tea.

http://thisisthestoryof.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/presidentsday2012-01.jpg?w=600
A Derringer>handheld Gattling gun.

StoopTroup
3/27/2012, 12:14 AM
Lincoln quit wearing Hoodies after that.

SicEmBaylor
3/27/2012, 12:18 AM
Lincoln quit wearing Hoodies after that.
Well, they are the symbol of his people.

C&CDean
3/27/2012, 08:17 AM
Well, they are the symbol of his people.

Heh.

StoopTroup
3/27/2012, 09:33 AM
Why didn't they just use paintball guns?

SicEmBaylor
3/27/2012, 01:36 PM
I've given some thought to what participating in the Hunger Games would actually be like. Not that I want to hack teenagers to death, but a part of me really wants to know how I'd measure up in that arena.

I'd probably adopt a defensive game plan. Grab whatever I could on the periphery of the cornucopia and then head to the woods....find a position that's easily defended and then booby trap all of the approaches and just wait it out. I think if I did that then I might actually last a few days, but I can't see myself ever coming close to winning. I'd just flat out die. Not even sure what weapons would be best for me, but I'm leaning toward some sort of shortsword, hatchet, tomahawk, etc. etc.

SoonerAtKU
3/27/2012, 02:16 PM
I think the wife is going to buy these on her kindle and I'll probably read them when she's done. She's still finishing off the Girl Who series, though. It may be a while.

Viking Kitten
3/27/2012, 02:38 PM
I've given some thought to what participating in the Hunger Games would actually be like. Not that I want to hack teenagers to death, but a part of me really wants to know how I'd measure up in that arena.

I'd probably adopt a defensive game plan. Grab whatever I could on the periphery of the cornucopia and then head to the woods....find a position that's easily defended and then booby trap all of the approaches and just wait it out. I think if I did that then I might actually last a few days, but I can't see myself ever coming close to winning. I'd just flat out die. Not even sure what weapons would be best for me, but I'm leaning toward some sort of shortsword, hatchet, tomahawk, etc. etc.

If I were you, I'd just plan on telling them some of your girl/car/Zima stories and watch them die laughing. :D

Jacie
3/27/2012, 02:51 PM

I know the genesis of the title and main character, though I would term this movie a send up rather than a remake . . .

StoopTroup
3/27/2012, 03:15 PM
If you haven't ever won at paintball, I wouldn't start. Volunteering as tribute in the Hunger Games. Although you looking like you are 17 does maybe give you some advantage. The thing for me is I wouldn't surround myself with traps and hem myself in some Alamo situation. I would create a few gauntlets that allowed me easy escape but would slow down the Hunters. I might use a dead body with my clothes on as bait in an Alamo setting maybe. Always be able to move to water and food.

Also go watch the hunted with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro before offering yourself as tribute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4b74IZCXqw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SanJoaquinSooner
3/27/2012, 05:57 PM
I'm not so sure I'd want to form an alliance with other tributes, and then take a nap.

Afraid I'd wake up dead.

8timechamps
3/27/2012, 06:27 PM
I'm not so sure I'd want to form an alliance with other tributes, and then take a nap.

Afraid I'd wake up dead.

That was one of those moments when I scratched my head. If it's a fight to the death, I'm not trusting anyone.

Jacie
3/27/2012, 07:02 PM
That was one of those moments when I scratched my head. If it's a fight to the death, I'm not trusting anyone.

Ever watch Survivor? Contestants make alliances throughout the competition, all the while knowing that at some point they will have to stab the other person in the back . . . preferably before they do it to you. It is part of the strategy of the game. To not do so invites early elimination in a game of last man standing.

Jacie
3/27/2012, 07:11 PM
If you haven't ever won at paintball, I wouldn't start. Volunteering as tribute in the Hunger Games. Although you looking like you are 17 does maybe give you some advantage. The thing for me is I wouldn't surround myself with traps and hem myself in some Alamo situation.

Who's to say his Alamo strategy wouldn't work in the Hunger Game where it is every man/woman for themselves? The only reason the real Alamo fell is because Santa Anna did not mind using his 20-to-1 advantage of infantrymen as cannon fodder. And the only reason he could get away with doing so is because his men were motivated to run towards 185 guns rather than face the lances of their own cavalry.

SicEmBaylor
3/27/2012, 07:58 PM
If I were you, I'd just plan on telling them some of your girl/car/Zima stories and watch them die laughing. :D
We'll call that 'Plan B.' :D

If you haven't ever won at paintball, I wouldn't start.
I more than hold my own in paintball, but that's not all that applicable since the only ranged weapon in the Hunger Games is the bow and arrow. I think the little girl had a slingshot, but it was never mentioned as actually being used. Here's a video of me getting caught behind the allied lines at D-Day a few years ago. The action starts around the 4:00ish mark. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG7F7GX9h6E

Volunteering as tribute in the Hunger Games. Although you looking like you are 17 does maybe give you some advantage. The thing for me is I wouldn't surround myself with traps and hem myself in some Alamo situation. I would create a few gauntlets that allowed me easy escape but would slow down the Hunters. I might use a dead body with my clothes on as bait in an Alamo setting maybe. Always be able to move to water and food.

Also go watch the hunted with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro before offering yourself as tribute.

Well, having a good avenue of retreat is probably a good idea. At first I thought a good strategy would be to hold up against the wall of a cliff or something of that nature which would give me one less direction to worry about, but the tradeoff there of course is that my back is literally against the wall.

Afraid I'd wake up dead.
Heh, exactly. The trick would be to stick with the alliance as long as possible and then turning on them at a weak moment...such as when they're asleep. My guess though is that there are always two people 'on watch' to mitigate that possibility.

Who's to say his Alamo strategy wouldn't work in the Hunger Game where it is every man/woman for themselves? The only reason the real Alamo fell is because Santa Anna did not mind using his 20-to-1 advantage of infantrymen as cannon fodder. And the only reason he could get away with doing so is because his men were motivated to run towards 185 guns rather than face the lances of their own cavalry.

At some point, toward the end, I'd probably have to sally forth from my protected area. It'd be almost impossible for me to win a 1-1 melee battle so I'd have to rely on a ranged weapon (which I've almost never used) or an 'ambush' strategy. I think I'd go with the 'ambush strategy' which has actually served me fairly well on countless occasions in paintball. The trick would be to blend in well, stay still, and wait for the moment to strike.

Successfully employing those strategies is the only way I'd have even a remote chance of winning.

StoopTroup
3/27/2012, 08:08 PM
SicEm tube steak anyone?

StoopTroup
3/27/2012, 08:12 PM

Ummm...they set up an Alamo with all the supplies as a trap and Katniss blew them to smithereens.

SicEmBaylor
3/27/2012, 08:14 PM
Ummm...they set up an Alamo with all the supplies as a trap and Katniss blew them to smithereens.

That only worked because they remade the landmines, and they were "inviting" an attack. I would neither have landmines nor would I be "inviting" attack by making my holdup obvious. I'd rather them "stumble" into my area than invite them to attack it directly.

ouwasp
3/27/2012, 08:51 PM
I think the powers-that-be in The Hunger Games universe would probably use the flame feature to force Sic Em out of his hidey-hole to a gloriously broadcast death... a savage one that would leave all viewers wincing in awe...

SicEmBaylor
3/27/2012, 09:04 PM
I think the powers-that-be in The Hunger Games universe would probably use the flame feature to force Sic Em out of his hidey-hole to a gloriously broadcast death... a savage one that would leave all viewers wincing in awe...
Heh, I almost forgot about that. I think I'd be fine so long as other people are dying. They only broke that **** out when things started slowing down for a long period of time.

Jacie
3/27/2012, 09:21 PM

We were talking about what SicEm would do, though he later relented and decided he would have to abandon a protected position. It was a sound idea till as shown in the paintball video, he was overcome by superior numbers.

SicEmBaylor
3/27/2012, 09:27 PM
We were talking about what SicEm would do, though he later relented and decided he would have to abandon a protected position. It was a sound idea till as shown in the paintball video, he was overcome by superior numbers.

Heh, I got caught behind that damned bunker when that tank from the 2nd Armored rolled through. As small as I am, they just never saw me. I knew they were on the other side, but I didn't know how many. They lit my *** up when I did that, but I got more of them than they did me!

8timechamps
3/27/2012, 09:33 PM

In a situation like Survivor, I can understand it. However, if I'm in a game where the ultimate goal is not to die, I'm on my own. How could you ever trust someone not cutting your throat while you sleep? Nope, I'm alone in that deal.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/27/2012, 11:16 PM
Carl Icahn Says Of His Lionsgate Sale:
“You Can’t Win ‘Em All”

The billionaire activist investor would have been $345M richer if he had held on to his Lionsgate stock — which closed today at $14.22 per share — instead of selling the bulk of his holdings late last year for about $7 per share. At one point he owned 33% of Lionsgate. But he shrugged off his miscall in an interview this afternoon on CNBC. “You can’t win ‘em all,” he said. “I sent those guys an email congratulating them” following Lionsgate’s success this weekend with The Hunger Games.

SicEmBaylor
3/28/2012, 12:37 AM
If I ever have children and they misbehave, I'll threaten to sign then up as Tributes.

StoopTroup
3/28/2012, 11:07 AM
It was a sound idea till as shown in the paintball video, he was overcome by superior numbers.

Says the Dead Men of the Alamo.

I know there are some folks on here that studied Military Strategies. The first one I remember ever being taught was the one about the British and how they had developed rules of engagement and tried to use them against The Patriot Army here in America. They got their a$$es kicked.

There are no rules. There is only War. Play well and play to win. Always know who the real enemy is. It might not be the guy with the Sword against your District's Co-player.

FirstandGoal
3/29/2012, 09:42 AM
So I'm still waiting to hear if Dean has seen this movie yet. The books really were awesome, though nothing will ever reach the awesomeness that is JK Rowling.

Jacie
3/29/2012, 12:57 PM
I know there are some folks on here that studied Military Strategies. The first one I remember ever being taught was the one about the British and how they had developed rules of engagement and tried to use them against The Patriot Army here in America. They got their a$$es kicked.

You can't measure success on the battlefield using the Brits. I am only a casual fan of military history and I can name a lot more battles those guys lost than they won. If it hadn't been for them being one of our Allies, they'd be speaking German today . . .