PDA

View Full Version : CFN picks OU again...

VA Sooner
3/22/2012, 07:27 AM
Not sure if this is a good thing or a not... CFN in the Way-Too-Early-Picks...

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1169808.html

I think it adds a distraction to our young men... needed to be much lower and work our way up.

Thoughts?

TUSooner
3/22/2012, 07:55 AM
Have they no mercy?!

Jason White's Third Knee
3/22/2012, 08:23 AM
Heh!

stoopified
3/22/2012, 08:32 AM
Not sure if this is a good thing or a not... CFN in the Way-Too-Early-Picks...

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1169808.html

I think it adds a distraction to our young men... needed to be much lower and work our way up.

Thoughts?Well,they have to be right eventually.....maybe this is the year.

LVSOONER15
3/22/2012, 09:14 AM
Well,they have to be right eventually.....maybe this is the year.

Hopefully that is the case. I think we can check back in mid-season.

C&CDean
3/22/2012, 09:21 AM
Oh great. Just what we need. A bunch of over-hyped players reading, and unfortunately believing their own press.

I hope Bob can keep these kids' heads screwed on straight this year.

ouwasp
3/22/2012, 09:46 AM
One of these days our Sooners will match their preseason hype. We can all hope.

In the meantime, I'm sure Bob crossed this guy off the Xmas card list.

85sooners
3/22/2012, 09:58 AM
Boomer!!!

PalmBeachSooner
3/22/2012, 12:54 PM
Have they no mercy?!

It's obviously part of the bigger national conspiracy to destroy OU.

picasso
3/22/2012, 01:00 PM
Whatever NFL team Brandon Weeden lands on has got to be at least top 5.

SoonerinSouthlake
3/22/2012, 01:16 PM
They are picking us because its apparently not possible to play a BCS Title Game in Miami without us. :playful:

PalmBeachSooner
3/22/2012, 01:36 PM
OU-USC rematch, or is USC still on a post-season ban?

EatLeadCommie
3/22/2012, 02:15 PM
Unless Landry learns how to throw to receivers not named Ryan Broyles, I doubt we'll sniff the title game.

Curly Bill
3/22/2012, 02:26 PM

I don't think they are.

Salt City Sooner
3/22/2012, 03:11 PM
They can go bowling now. Most pre-season polls I've seen have them & LSU 1-2 in either order.

BigTip
3/22/2012, 03:53 PM
That's just dumb. We ended the season with way too many problems to work on to be mentioned like this.

Stuff happens though. What were we ranked preseason in 2000? Not real high right?

jumperstop
3/22/2012, 04:06 PM
That's just dumb. We ended the season with way too many problems to work on to be mentioned like this.

Stuff happens though. What were we ranked preseason in 2000? Not real high right?

18th I believe...

Howzit
3/22/2012, 04:23 PM
This is obviously based on our strong finish in 2011.

VA Sooner
3/22/2012, 04:30 PM
Based on returning members to the offensive line, QB and depth at receivers (numbers... getting the sticky fingers is what spring and fall practice will bring), linebackers are decent, safeties are good, one spot at CB to fill and M Stoops working the d-line to see what works best.

This could be the year that CFN is right... but much rather start lower and work our way towards it instead of young testosterone-filled boys reading (and believing the hype).

Wort and Jefferson the leaders of the defense this year? Expecting good things from Wort and Jefferson this year.

BoulderSooner79
3/22/2012, 05:15 PM
Oh great. Just what we need. A bunch of over-hyped players reading, and unfortunately believing their own press.

I hope Bob can keep these kids' heads screwed on straight this year.

Or maybe keep their ankle bones and knee ligaments intact.

budbarrybob
3/22/2012, 05:20 PM

^^This. I am in the "Pick for MNC" is now an injury curse...

TahoeSOONER
3/22/2012, 06:06 PM
Unless a WR steps up and learns to play every down, catch the ball, then Landry will still look average.

Team game.

Jacie
3/22/2012, 06:14 PM
Don't get upset over this one. Realistically, I think the various polls (the ones that wait until oh . . . August or at least July) will be split between USC and bama at #1, with Oklahoma somewhere in the Top 10, not neccessarily Top 5. At some point, the people who pick these things have to feel a little gunshy about putting the Sooners in the MNC again no matter how many starters return.

Ton Loc
3/22/2012, 07:25 PM
Hell, its nice to have someone believe in us, even if it is way too early.

8timechamps
3/22/2012, 10:08 PM
Don't get upset over this one. Realistically, I think the various polls (the ones that wait until oh . . . August or at least July) will be split between USC and bama at #1, with Oklahoma somewhere in the Top 10, not neccessarily Top 5. At some point, the people who pick these things have to feel a little gunshy about putting the Sooners in the MNC again no matter how many starters return.

I'd agree with that. I'd prefer for OU to be ranked outside the top ten preseason, but that's not going to happen this year. Gotta wonder how much of last year's hype got to the players. I know Tony Jefferson said that they had entitlement issues (paraphrase), and that having the cameras around in the summer set the tone for that.

BoulderSooner79
3/23/2012, 12:54 AM
I'd agree with that. I'd prefer for OU to be ranked outside the top ten preseason, but that's not going to happen this year. Gotta wonder how much of last year's hype got to the players. I know Tony Jefferson said that they had entitlement issues (paraphrase), and that having the cameras around in the summer set the tone for that.

I think that is just after-the-fact BS. But it is human nature to need an explanation to put it in the rear view mirror in order to move forward. If there is a concrete problem, it usually gets addressed by firing coaches (we did fire one) or encouraging slackers to move on (that happened too). It's a new season.

EatLeadCommie
3/23/2012, 02:19 AM
also, they picked us only to appear in the NCG...they picked us to lose it too

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/23/2012, 02:25 AM

I hope Bob can keep these kids' heads screwed on straight this year.Yeah, they mighta been just a little overconfident in that Sand aggy game in Norman last year.

MamaMia
3/23/2012, 03:31 AM
Even if I picked us, I wouldn't write it anywhere.

XingTheRubicon
3/23/2012, 10:02 AM
Does this mean ESPN can come again and do their "all-access" coverage, with our 80th ranked defense doing autistic shark gestures and such...'cause that would be super.

Seamus
3/23/2012, 01:29 PM
... with our 80th ranked defense doing autistic shark gestures and such ...

Seriously. Every time I saw that ridiculous shark gesture, couldn't help but think "franks and beans."

Charlie the Tuna from the old Starkist commercials would have ****ed this defense in the azz.

ouwasp
3/23/2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks Seamus... gonna take awhile to remove that awful - yet truthful- image from my mind.

A few weeks ago I was watching the RRR from last October. Brent had the temerity to suggest the Sooner D should be mentioned with the likes of Alabama and LSU!

Wonder if he was drunk or high....:unconscious: Sounds like a dangerous state of mind to be in...

BoulderSooner79
3/24/2012, 01:26 PM
CFN is like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football; OU is like Lucy the holder.

pappy
3/24/2012, 01:41 PM
also, they picked us only to appear in the NCG...they picked us to lose it too

It's not that big of a deal since they picked us to lose...I for one hope this guy is wrong and we win the dam* trophy!

cleller
3/25/2012, 08:37 AM
I have only 4 goals at the moment. Take care of business in Dallas. Revenge Baylor and Tech. Reign thunder down on the one-trick pokes in Norman.

Did Landry get married yet? That might help the situation.

3rdgensooner
3/25/2012, 09:21 AM
Being mentioned in the top 5 is the Sooner way. I hope it's always like that.

agoo758
3/25/2012, 12:54 PM

Or maybe our QB not falling apart when he loses ONE receiver.

BoulderSooner79
3/25/2012, 02:25 PM
Or maybe our QB not falling apart when he loses ONE receiver.

and the ONE effective running back. I think it really took both.

3/25/2012, 03:53 PM
Or maybe our QB not falling apart when he loses ONE receiver.This bothered me A LOT. That is a coaching problem, I'm guessing.

3/25/2012, 03:56 PM
It will be interesting to see if Brandon Williams, jermie Calhoun and Jonathan Miller pan out elsewhere. It's too bad for us that Brennan Clay falls down so easily.

cccasooner2
3/25/2012, 04:57 PM
It will be interesting to see if Brandon Williams, jermie Calhoun and Jonathan Miller pan out elsewhere. It's too bad for us that Brennan Clay falls down so easily.

Not nearly as bad as Brandon Williams fumbling multiple times to Gundy strips or the arms of a chute. I know, it was only practice and he seemed to get better as the season progressed, however, it was nervous time when the ball was handed to him.

StoopTroup
3/25/2012, 11:40 PM
Unless a WR steps up and learns to play every down, catch the ball, then Landry will still look average.

Team game.

What's amazing to me is that we had one of those for 3 years and after they broke nearly every passing record at OU, Broyles got injured and some people still think that Broyles and Landry were average.

So I think you might just start hoping for a WR that can out run every Defensive Back we play this year and catch TD Passes for 80 Yards every 1st Down and allowing Bell, Allen and Thompson to split time in the 2nd Half.

BoulderSooner79
3/26/2012, 11:20 AM
What's amazing to me is that we had one of those for 3 years and after they broke nearly every passing record at OU, Broyles got injured and some people still think that Broyles and Landry were average.

I must have missed the posts about Broyles being average. He is an all-American and deservedly so. LJ is not a guy that can carry a team, but is well above average. He reflects his supporting cast - both in good and bad ways. That's not intended as a criticism as most college QBs are limited by their own skills when surrounded by a strong team while LJ can raise his game.

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 05:43 PM
I must have missed the posts about Broyles being average. He is an all-American and deservedly so. LJ is not a guy that can carry a team, but is well above average. He reflects his supporting cast - both in good and bad ways. That's not intended as a criticism as most college QBs are limited by their own skills when surrounded by a strong team while LJ can raise his game.

Yeah they included the Landry won't get drafted and Broyles will go sometime in the 3rd to 5th rounds.

Above average go in the 1st or 2nd rounds and IMO OU players don't get much love when it comes to the draft and when I see OU Fans being mostly non-supportive of them when it's their time to live the dream....it makes me wonder if we have Fans sitting in the stands or the reason Boone Pickens can't sell out games is Aggie Fans come to Norman to see real Football Games.

soonervegas
3/27/2012, 09:44 PM
They must have missed the

At Tech
At West Virginia

part of the schedule