PDA

View Full Version : T. McDonald honored at his old school in Albuquerque

NMSooner'80
3/21/2012, 12:40 PM
NFL Hall of Famer Returns to Highland
By Jessica Dyer / Journal Staff Writer on Mar. 20, 2012
NFL Hall of Famer Returns to His Highland High Roots Today

Don’t bother looking for a modern-day Tommy McDonald.

He doesn’t exist.

At least McDonald himself doesn’t seem to think there’s anybody like him in the game of football today.

“Nobody has that kind of energy,” the NFL Hall of Fame wide receiver said without hesitation in a phone interview on Monday. “I’ll tell you that right now — God only gave it to one person, and that’s Tommy McDonald.”

Known for jumping to his feet and racing back to the huddle after being tackled, McDonald spent the 1950s and 1960s cementing his star status everywhere he went. That includes his college playing days at Oklahoma and a 12-year NFL career spent mostly with the Philadelphia Eagles.

But Albuquerque is where McDonald’s legend was born and that’s where the six-time Pro Bowl selection will be today. McDonald is returning to Highland High School, his alma mater, to be recognized this afternoon by the Pro Football Hall of Fame and Allstate as part of the “Hometown Hall of Famer” program.

The 1953 Highland grad currently lives in the Philadelphia area and said he doesn’t care to travel much anymore. But the 77-year-old originally from Roy, N.M., made an exception for this visit, partly because of his gratitude to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. After 24 unfulfilled years of Hall of Fame eligibility, McDonald finally was inducted in 1998. The occasion was so satisfying that McDonald still watches the footage of his enthusiastic and entertaining induction speech at least once a month.

“I tell you, I want to relive my talk and everything that I did at the Hall of Fame,” he said.

The speech — during which McDonald danced to the BeeGees’ “Stayin’ Alive” and chest-bumped the other inductees — remains one of the most exuberant in football history. McDonald refers to it as a “super” moment.

“And make sure you spell ‘super’ with a capital ‘S,’ capital ‘U,’ capital ‘P,’ capital ‘E’ and capital ‘R,’” McDonald said.

There have been plenty of super moments in McDonald’s life. As a pro who played for Philadelphia, Dallas, Los Angeles, Atlanta and Cleveland, he recorded 495 receptions for 8,410 yards and caught 84 touchdown passes. As a running back at the University of Oklahoma, he tallied a combined 33 touchdowns in the 1955 and ’56 seasons and was a two-time All-American selection.

McDonald was a three-sport sensation during his high school days. In addition to his football prowess — he scored 44 touchdowns in his two seasons with the Hornets — McDonald also averaged 24.8 points as a senior on the basketball team and was a five-event champion at the 1953 state track meet.

He was such a star that Highland retired both his football and basketball numbers during a 2003 ceremony.

Asked what stands out from his high school days, McDonald didn’t list the honors or athletic exploits but rather the people, including former coaches Hugh Hackett and Mickey Miller as well as his teachers.

“I don’t have to have rings or anything like that,” McDonald said of his Highland experience. “The teachers that they had, the coaches and everything they had right there — that is all I needed.”
— This article appeared on page D1 of the Albuquerque Journal

picasso
3/21/2012, 01:57 PM
Great read. New Mexico will always be close to my heart. Thanks.

LVSOONER15
3/21/2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks. Saw that article yesterday. Good job Tommy.

sooneredaco
3/21/2012, 08:39 PM
Boomer Sooner from a New Mexican from Hobbs! (I love the state, but can't ever see myself back in Hobbs for as long as I live)

PLaw
3/23/2012, 08:18 PM
Boomer Sooner from a New Mexican from Hobbs! (I love the state, but can't ever see myself back in Hobbs for as long as I live)

I grew up listening to the SOONERS on KLEA -

Would have been LHS class of 78, but by some random act of God and the oil patch my Dad got sent to the Texas panhandle for my Sr. year.

Jimminy Christmas! Another SOONER TOUCHDOWN by Joe Washington!

BOOMER

Jason White's Third Knee
3/24/2012, 04:05 PM

I grew up in Roswell and love to visit. Hard to consider living there!

cccasooner2
3/24/2012, 04:25 PM
Great read. New Mexico will always be close to my heart. Thanks.

But some how Dewey gets no mention on SF.com. :D

cherokeebrewer
3/31/2012, 09:06 AM
I graduated from Hobbs Highschool...Go Eagles!

Oilfield brat...probably never return but have soft spot for the tumbleweeds, oil derricks & night flares and especially Charlotte Weaver!..."Stands the best of noble Highschools, Hobbs High here's to you"

picasso
3/31/2012, 10:30 AM
But some how Dewey gets no mention on SF.com. :D
Dewey, Oklahoma???:tennis:

Flagstaffsooner
3/31/2012, 12:28 PM
I'm partial to Clines Corner myself.:love_heart:

LVSOONER15
3/31/2012, 01:43 PM
I'm from Las Vegas myself. Not the greatest of places but close enough to the mountains.

John Kochtoston
4/2/2012, 02:54 AM
Heh. My first reporting job out of college was covering sports at the Hobbs News-Sun.

sooneredaco
4/2/2012, 08:40 AM
Heh. My first reporting job out of college was covering sports at the Hobbs News-Sun.

Bet you weren't near as busy as the reporter in charge of reporting crime.