PDA

View Full Version : The Tea Party: It wants what it wants....

StoopTroup
3/20/2012, 07:29 PM
And it doesn't much care what anyone in either the GOP or Democratic Party thinks about it.

Interesting read....

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/03/the-ryan-budget-proves-the-tea-partys-power-is-here-to-stay/254826/

Sorry, pal, it's you who's along for the ride. And Mitt Romney. And Rick Santorum. And Newt Gingrich. They've all spent the campaign trying to prove their small-government bona fides, with limited success, to a radicalized base. Now it's about to get tougher for them to vouch for their authenticity: the Ryan budget they want to avoid, just rolled out today, (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/03/the-ryan-budget-proves-the-tea-partys-power-is-here-to-stay/254826/)virtually ensures that the budget standoff will continue through November (http://nationaljournal.com/economy/ryan-2013-budget-sets-discretionary-spending-below-bca-agreed-cap-20120320). In this debate, the presidential campaign will be just so much noise.
(http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/03/the-ryan-budget-proves-the-tea-partys-power-is-here-to-stay/254826/)

Turd_Ferguson
3/20/2012, 07:39 PM
At least he's trying to propose something...

StoopTroup
3/20/2012, 07:50 PM
We know he's not gonna suddenly run for POTUS.....lol

rock on sooner
3/21/2012, 09:07 PM
At least he's trying to propose something...

I'm thinking a LOT more gridlock...absolute paralysis of the government, last thing in the
world that we need....

sappstuf
3/21/2012, 10:18 PM
I'm thinking a LOT more gridlock...absolute paralysis of the government, last thing in the
world that we need....

What makes you think that? The Dems in the Senate have gone over 1000 days without a budget.... They will just continue to ignore the law and do what they want.

StoopTroup
3/22/2012, 12:39 AM
Actually, paralysis/gridlock is usually what we need. Every time those jackholes agree on something, we(the taxpayer) usually gets screwed. Hopefully, the Tea Party will get their way.

Except that the POTUS is dragging his heels on this pipeline that nearly every oily here is ready to vote an idiot in for POTUS. Of course if he suddenly did everything they wanted they would complain that he didn't do it fast enough or if there was something wrong they would blame him for that too.

I just find it difficult to follow both parties strategies. One says we want Hope and Change and within 6 months of voting in Hope and Change Americans suddenly voted in so many House Republicans that they believed they were sent in as political Messiahs to stop the World from coming to an end.

rock on sooner
3/22/2012, 09:13 AM
Except that the POTUS is dragging his heels on this pipeline that nearly every oily here is ready to vote an idiot in for POTUS. Of course if he suddenly did everything they wanted they would complain that he didn't do it fast enough or if there was something wrong they would blame him for that too.

I just find it difficult to follow both parties strategies. One says we want Hope and Change and within 6 months of voting in Hope and Change Americans suddenly voted in so many House Republicans that they believed they were sent in as political Messiahs to stop the World from coming to an end.

ST, you are psychic! Just saw that Obama is "fasttracking the pipeline from Cushing to the
Gulf" and the Repubs say "Too little, too late." There is an article in the DM Register today
that really shoots down the "drill, baby, drill" approach. Looks at 36 years of US production
versus the price of gas...pretty good read. DesRegister.com under the nationworld area
and scroll down to On Deadline.

C&CDean
3/22/2012, 09:22 AM
In the FWIW and WGAS category, the esteemed prez crashed in OKC last night. No, don't get your hopes up, he slept here.

ictsooner7
3/22/2012, 09:25 AM
ST, you are psychic! Just saw that Obama is "fasttracking the pipeline from Cushing to the
Gulf" and the Repubs say "Too little, too late." There is an article in the DM Register today
that really shoots down the "drill, baby, drill" approach. Looks at 36 years of US production
versus the price of gas...pretty good read. DesRegister.com under the nationworld area

Good luck on this one, I have showed the same thing on production.

sappstuf
3/22/2012, 09:45 AM

He isn't "fasttracking anything"..

Approval of this southern part of the pipeline is not really the Obama administration's call. The northern portion of the pipeline needs administration approval because it would cross the Canadian border. The Cushing-to-Gulf segment is much more of a local issue. So Thursday's announcement is more theater than substance.

"More theater than substance".... I can't tell if they are describing the announcement or the president.

okie52
3/22/2012, 10:00 AM

Ummm it was 2 years of total hope and change before the pubs took control of the house.

genius=the guy who shut down both coasts to offshore drilling.

genius= unilateral cap and trade

genius=keystone shutdown

genius=remove writeoffs for oil and gas industry that every other manufacturer receives

genius=$9.5 billion federal lease bonuses in 2008. $36 million in 2011.

rock on sooner
3/22/2012, 10:06 AM
Good luck on this one, I have showed the same thing on production.

Yeah, Ick, I know but I thought I'd rattle a cage or two...I sure enjoy
the back and forth on these threads...I'm easily entertained! I just
noticed on my post that I didn't list the website correctly....
it's www.desmoinesregister.com.

okie52
3/22/2012, 10:10 AM

I tried to locate your article but couldn't find it.

If the article is defending the prez on gasoline prices then they are probably correct for the most part...drilling today won't affect the prices much. While it's politically expedient for the pubs to beat on Obama for gasoline prices I wish they wouldn't do it. It sets themselves up for the same kind of criticism when they are in office and the public is mislead into believing that drilling results will produce immediate price reductions. Its about as disengenuous as the prez trying to take credit for oil production increasing in the last 3 years.

It's really about energy independence and all of the benefits that go with it to this country. On that issue the prez should be severely hammered.

rock on sooner
3/22/2012, 10:27 AM
I tried to locate your article but couldn't find it.

If the article is defending the prez on gasoline prices then they are probably correct for the most part...drilling today won't affect the prices much. While it's politically expedient for the pubs to beat on Obama for gasoline prices I wish they wouldn't do it. It sets themselves up for the same kind of criticism when they are in office and the public is mislead into believing that drilling results will produce immediate price reductions. Its about as disengenuous as the prez trying to take credit for oil production increasing in the last 3 years.

It's really about energy independence and all of the benefits that go with it to this country. On that issue the prez should be severely hammered.

Sorry, Okie, the article really doesn't defend Obama in particular...it's more defending the POTUS
in general for 36 years. POTUS really can't do jack about the price of gas, whether it's drilling
more or releasing from the Strategic Oil Reserve. You're right about energy independence
issues, though.

okie52
3/22/2012, 10:36 AM
Sorry, Okie, the article really doesn't defend Obama in particular...it's more defending the POTUS
in general for 36 years. POTUS really can't do jack about the price of gas, whether it's drilling
more or releasing from the Strategic Oil Reserve. You're right about energy independence
issues, though.

The POTUS could probably do a lot about NG prices since it is a regional commodity but when it comes to oil it would be hard to move the price much.

But the public sees the cost when they fill their tank every week so they are looking for immediate solutions.

The good news for Obama and the country is that high prices will force many people to buy fuel efficient vehicles. That, to me, has always been a republican weakness on energy independence...conservation. They promote it but not nearly enough.

soonercruiser
3/22/2012, 01:29 PM

Sorry to burst you balloon Rock on!
Obama, himself doesn't have say on the lower pipeline.
I read a detailed article a few days ago.......it does not reuqire any Obama Administration approval, per se!
All that is in waiting is an OK from the Army Corps of Engineers on crossing some of their managed land assets.
Or, who does the "Corpse" work for?

ictsooner7
3/22/2012, 01:38 PM
I read a detailed article a few days ago.......it does not reuqire any Obama Administration approval, per se!
All that is in waiting is an OK from the Army Corps of Engineers on crossing some of their managed land assets.

So let me get this straight,

Obama wants to help fast track the southern pipeline - but Obama isn't really doing anything since it is an Army Corps of Engineers who OK it, but in the north where Nebraska STILL doesn't have a final path for the pipeline it's all Obama's fault for not getting it built.

You were right on StoopTroup and Rock on Sooner.

rock on sooner
3/22/2012, 01:41 PM

Cruiser, you're dead on...it is pretty much a local issue BUT there are some feds involved
and what the prez said was he is directing those agencies to make Cushing reviews a top
priority and make things go faster...the issue with the northern part of Xl involves the
environmentalists and their concerns. He didn't say no, just to extend the impact studies
more...he's trying, IMO, to walk the fence line and keep as many people content as he can,
whether that's a right approach or not...dunno!