PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone really appreciate the Rober Plant/Alison Krause stuff over Zeppelin?

cleller
3/19/2012, 06:50 PM
Sure, I'm happy for Robert that he found his little gig with the granddaughter-figure Krause. He can pretend he's now a Nashville insider, stretching out his musical tentacles. Glad he's got his Grammy's and accolades, but now he thinks its an ego stroke to hang out with guitarist Buddy Miller, of Emmilou Harris/Shawn Colvin fame? Oops, I nodded off.

In the 2007, he let down his ego just enough to go back onstage with Page, Jones, and Bonham2 for the concert at the O2 Arena in London, and in 2 hours recreated some music immeasurably better than the nap-inducing prattle he does with Krause and her Nashville cats.

Since Johm Bonham's death in 1980, I'd always thought that was it for the Zeppelin. When Page said after the 2007 "O2" concert he felt like they had one more album in them, I thought "why not?" That would have been historic. Its a gamble; it could backfire, but you only live once. No one is going to be talking about the somnolent junk he turns out with Krause in the future. He should have accepted the challenge, I think.

If you've watched the 2007 concert on Youtube, it sure looks like they were in good form, and had a great chance of pulling it off. Everyone was on board but Robert and his ego. These guys are a great example of "the whole is greater than the sum of Robert's pants."

Until then we have to be happy with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH-_9cwdLug

BigTip
3/19/2012, 08:15 PM
No one is going to be talking about the somnolent junk he turns out with Krause in the future.

True dat. Unlike how they will be talking about Led Zeppelin forever, just like Bach and Beethoven. It just makes me smile when I see a 16 year old kid wearing a Led Zeppelin tee shirt. Seeing that is why I say what I do. Their albums are still on yearly top 100 sellers. Their music is aging well, to say the least.

delhalew
3/20/2012, 12:20 AM
I think you are overlooking the almost certain fact that Plant can't sing like the headman of Zeppelin anymore. Time takes a bigger toll on some voices than others. Roberts voice is great for quiet duets with fair maidens...not so much for singing Zeppelin songs. I'll bet the farm that is his real reason for his new path.

TUSooner
3/20/2012, 01:27 PM
You induced me to listen to some Plant-Krauss duets, and they are not bad. Thanks. But the answer to the question must be "NO."