PDA

View Full Version : You know that new TV contract everyone is talking about....

OU_Sooners75
3/18/2012, 07:36 PM
Well, it is better than what was originally reported....

The Sports Business Journal broke a story (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Special-Content/News/2012/Big-12-ESPN.aspx) today that the Big XII and ESPN were close to finalizing a new television agreement that would net the conference $1.3 billion over the next 13 years. Combined with the Big XII's agreement with Fox ($1.2 billion over 13 years), the conference stands to earn $2.5 billion over the life of both agreements.

Under the new terms, each Big 12 school will average just under $20 million a year. Schools in the Pac-12, which also partnered with ESPN and Fox to generate its record $3 billion deal over 12 years, will average nearly $21 million per school.

Here is where it gets really interesting

The Big XII made a number of strategically brilliant moves w/ this latest contract. If they sign at least 2 additional teams (there are restrictions on whom), there is an automatic escalator in the contract that will raise the total payout by $2.05M per team (this based on the added conference championship game). And, they negotiated an opt out clause that will allow them out of the deal to take it to market if they expand to 12 or further, with ESPN/ABC having the right of first refusal on the contract. Once the language of the contract makes its way back to the ACC, I think there will be some nervous presidents & a nervous commissioner, b/c the Big XII essentially just got a license to hunt, with guaranteed ammo.

And, what’s better, the ABC/ESPN/Fox contracts the Big XII has are only for Tier 1 & Tier 2 broadcasts. So, teams are free to shop their Tier 3 rights. So, just like Texas is netting $10M/season, and KU is netting $8M/season from Tier 3, Florida State, Clemson, etc will have the ability to make $20M + millions more on Tier 3, which would put them above the highest paid SEC teams.

King Barry's Back
3/18/2012, 08:18 PM
I have only two comments to make:

First, see the quote "Florida State, Clemson, etc will have the ability to make $20M + millions more on Tier 3, which would put them above the highest paid SEC teams." Does this mean that Missouri is going to start having regrets?

Second, when did you ever hear the words "strategically brilliant moves" applied to one of Dan Beebee's contract negotiations?

OU_Sooners75
3/18/2012, 08:25 PM
I have only two comments to make:

First, see the quote "Florida State, Clemson, etc will have the ability to make $20M + millions more on Tier 3, which would put them above the highest paid SEC teams." Does this mean that Missouri is going to start having regrets?

Second, when did you ever hear the words "strategically brilliant moves" applied to one of Dan Beebee's contract negotiations?

So Dan Beebe is still the commissioner?

Are you living under a rock? This is Chuck Neinas negotiating the contracts now, not Dan Beebe...who was fired back in September of 2011.

MeMyself&Me
3/18/2012, 08:26 PM
Been talking about this for nearly a week on another sooner board... wondering when it was going to show up here. If the bolden part turns out to be true... look out!

Really though, I like posting over here but it seems people on this board or tired of realignment talk. :(

OU_Sooners75
3/18/2012, 08:32 PM
Been talking about this for nearly a week on another sooner board... wondering when it was going to show up here. If the bolden part turns out to be true... look out!

Really though, I like posting over here but it seems people on this board or tired of realignment talk. :(

You're just insignificant anymore...we all!

MamaMia
3/18/2012, 08:36 PM
Second, when did you ever hear the words "strategically brilliant moves" applied to one of Dan Beebee's contract negotiations?Not everyone who actually has a life knows this, but Beebe is out.

MeMyself&Me
3/18/2012, 09:00 PM
FWIW, the OP's quoted post comes from one of many posts by FromTheInside in this thread on a UConn forum:

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/acc.15197/

The thread is long but FromTheInside, assuming he is who he says he is, brings some good insights into the way schools and conferences are valued by networks and gives some interesting comments from time to time based on what he claims to know that has been happening behind closed doors recently. I wouldn't bother reading the whole thread... just skip to FromTheInside's posts.

Big D Sooner
3/18/2012, 09:03 PM
I'm fairly sure he was saying that the reason this was a brilliant job by the Big XII officials is BECAUSE Beebe is no longer there. I don't think he was inferring that Beebe is still the commissioner.

VA Sooner
3/18/2012, 09:24 PM
Mizzou is certainly having regrets now. Texas A&M as well... ha!

LASooner
3/19/2012, 02:55 AM
Mizzou is certainly having regrets now. Texas A&M as well... ha!

Honestly, I could care less what dead dogs and booger eaters think

Widescreen
3/19/2012, 08:42 AM
Honestly, I could care less what dead dogs and booger eaters thinkHow much less?

sooneredaco
3/19/2012, 09:02 AM
Can we have a cool Big 12 chant now too?

King Barry's Back
3/19/2012, 09:09 AM
So Dan Beebe is still the commissioner?

Are you living under a rock? This is Chuck Neinas negotiating the contracts now, not Dan Beebe...who was fired back in September of 2011.

Maybe you live under a rock? I know it was Chuck Neinas, which is why I was taunting the awful Dan Beebee.

King Barry's Back
3/19/2012, 09:09 AM
I'm fairly sure he was saying that the reason this was a brilliant job by the Big XII officials is BECAUSE Beebe is no longer there. I don't think he was inferring that Beebe is still the commissioner.

Thanks. My basic intent was "Good bye and good riddance, Mr Beebee."

MI Sooner
3/19/2012, 11:25 AM
FWIW, the OP's quoted post comes from one of many posts by FromTheInside in this thread on a UConn forum:

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/acc.15197/

The thread is long but FromTheInside, assuming he is who he says he is, brings some good insights into the way schools and conferences are valued by networks and gives some interesting comments from time to time based on what he claims to know that has been happening behind closed doors recently. I wouldn't bother reading the whole thread... just skip to FromTheInside's posts.

That thread discusses the Big XII schools' "Grant of [Tier I and II] Rights" to the conference. Did this ever happen? Obviously, Missouri didn't do it, right? But has everyone else do so now?

MeMyself&Me
3/19/2012, 12:09 PM
That thread discusses the Big XII schools' "Grant of [Tier I and II] Rights" to the conference. Did this ever happen? Obviously, Missouri didn't do it, right? But has everyone else do so now?

Yes it happened. It has been discussed by Neinas in radio interviews. Also, it is expected that the conference will extent the grand of rights when they sign this new Tier 1 contract.

StoopTroup
3/19/2012, 02:44 PM
I watch from the stands. Good for you TV Watchers. Thanks for helping pay Mike's Salary.

LASooner
3/19/2012, 05:06 PM
How much less?

Less than adding "n't" to the word "could"

Can we have a cool Big 12 chant now too?

Isn't "Texas Sucks!" already our conference chant?

SoonerorLater
3/19/2012, 05:10 PM
I would be surprised if the Big 12 hasn't already approached FSU and Clemson. Seems like too good of a deal for these guys to pass up.

Sooner5030
3/19/2012, 05:31 PM
I'd rather wait out the current tier I/II contract and let FOX/NBC compete. If they'd pay close to the same I'd rather watch games on either FOX/FSN/FX or NBC/Versus.

MeMyself&Me
3/19/2012, 06:47 PM
I would be surprised if the Big 12 hasn't already approached FSU and Clemson. Seems like too good of a deal for these guys to pass up.

For what it's worth, some people that are claiming to 'know something' on other boards are saying that FSU and Clemson approached the Big 12 a few months back (not the other way around). Still doesn't mean they're coming... those same people say they're still in 'unofficial talks through third parties' mode.

Edit: Here's one of the good ones. (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=8733949&p=10) There's no post numbering for me to reference you to but scroll down to where Mounty71 is posting at 11:30am and read on from there. His post there has some real interesting stuff and he follows up with a lot of answers to questions in the pages that follow regarding his 'source'. Notice he's talking about this before the dollar amounts of the Big 12's new contract hit the news.

I'd rather wait out the current tier I/II contract and let FOX/NBC compete. If they'd pay close to the same I'd rather watch games on either FOX/FSN/FX or NBC/Versus.

I felt the same way until I read that bold part of the OP. All the Big 12 has to do is add two programs and they can negotiate on the open market. ESPN can still keep the Big 12 but they'd have to match any offer. I don't see much benefit in waiting in that case. Even if they can't land any ACC schools and just settle for Louisville and BYU, they can take it to the open market.

Assuming that the 'opt out clause' is actually true of course.

SoonerorLater
3/19/2012, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=MeMyself&Me;3463108]For what it's worth, some people that are claiming to 'know something' on other boards are saying that FSU and Clemson approached the Big 12 a few months back (not the other way around). Still doesn't mean they're coming... those same people say they're still in 'unofficial talks through third parties' mode.

Edit: Here's one of the good ones. (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=8733949&p=10) There's no post numbering for me to reference you to but scroll down to where Mounty71 is posting at 11:30am and read on from there. His post there has some real interesting stuff and he follows up with a lot of answers to questions in the pages that follow regarding his 'source'. Notice he's talking about this before the dollar amounts of the Big 12's new contract hit the news.

Very interesting, especially since this was about 3 weeks ago. This news seems to corroborate his information. Money aside, if the Big 12 pulls this off it would not doubt be the premeire Football Conference.

SoonerMarkVA
3/19/2012, 07:53 PM

I'm still holding out hope there's some groundwork being laid to get the Domers. We're putting together a pretty sweet situation for them. Oh, how I would enjoy rubbing ND into the B1G's face after their decades of prostration.

Scott D
3/19/2012, 09:38 PM

It's been pretty obvious to all conference parties involved that everything involving Missouri is Tier III

MeMyself&Me
3/20/2012, 12:19 AM
ESPN, Fox may share Big 12 rights (https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/03/19/Media/Big-12.aspx)

Hmmmm, this is new. Anyone got a subscription to be able to read this article?

85sooners
3/20/2012, 08:48 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/paul--moore/eeac748e.jpg

SoonerinSouthlake
3/22/2012, 01:22 PM
Very interesting, especially since this was about 3 weeks ago. This news seems to corroborate his information. Money aside, if the Big 12 pulls this off it would not doubt be the premeire Football Conference.

Might have to match the SEC's 5 straight BCS titles to get that kind of cred.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2012, 02:25 PM
Might have to match the SEC's 5 straight BCS titles to get that kind of cred.

Or even six.

Bleah.

Ruf/Nek7
3/27/2012, 06:13 PM
Ok, so if this new "tv deal" goes through and OU launches its own network through Fox sports, then what kind of haul do we bring in a year just from tv deals alone? Let's talk $$$