PDA

View Full Version : Animal dens and privacy issues.

cleller
3/18/2012, 10:50 AM
Around the farm I've got lots of brush piles, creekbeds, and general wildlife habitat. Naturally, there are animal dens all over these places. Our dogs sniff and dig at these things all the time, and have yet to encounter a critter coming out to fight or flee.

There's an old apple tree near not far from the house, that had some old tree branches laying around that I decided to clear out so I could mow around it. In this brush was a freshly dug hole, pretty good size. Big enough for a fox, coon, or something. While I was pulling the brush away, my wife was pruning the apple tree. She kept telling me to be careful, something would come out and bite me. I told her I'd never heard of anyone have that happen, but it was still in the back of my mind.

Anyone heard of some angry badger attacking a human for violating its den?

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2012, 10:51 AM
Around the farm I've got lots of brush piles, creekbeds, and general wildlife habitat. Naturally, there are animal dens all over these places. Our dogs sniff and dig at these things all the time, and have yet to encounter a critter coming out to fight or flee.

There's an old apple tree near not far from the house, that had some old tree branches laying around that I decided to clear out so I could mow around it. In this brush was a freshly dug hole, pretty good size. Big enough for a fox, coon, or something. While I was pulling the brush away, my wife was pruning the apple tree. She kept telling me to be careful, something would come out and bite me. I told her I'd never heard of anyone have that happen, but it was still in the back of my mind.

Anyone heard of some angry badger attacking a human for violating its den?Prolly a damn diller...The only badger/badger hole I ever seen was by a creek bed...

cleller
3/18/2012, 10:58 AM
Armadillo is a good guess. They are thick, and like to hang around the house. Hearing a dog crunch into one is a gut sickening sound. That shell is no match for a German Shepherd's jaws.

I Am Right
3/18/2012, 03:31 PM
Armadillo

Chuck Bao
3/18/2012, 04:11 PM
Yeah, shot those dilloes and their damned dillo holes.

pphilfran
3/18/2012, 04:46 PM
If you kick an armadillo hard enough it will do flips that would make Mary Lou Retton jealous...at least that is what I have been told...

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2012, 05:08 PM
If you kick an armadillo hard enough it will do flips that would make Mary Lou Retton jealous...at least that is what I have been told...They can jump pretty damn high...I do know that.

I Am Right
3/18/2012, 06:36 PM
9mm will help

GDC
3/19/2012, 02:39 PM
I have seen a badger beaten to death with a bumper jack.

pphilfran
3/19/2012, 02:43 PM
I have seen a badger beaten to death with a bumper jack.

I wouldn't want to be that close to a badger...

Jacie
3/19/2012, 02:49 PM
Groundhogs are also diggers. Had to chase one out from under my garage so he wouldn't undermine the slab only to have him take up residence under the barn. At that point firearms were used and the groundhog and/or the surviving relatives moved their den so that it opens up near a brushpile along the property backline instead of underneath any of my buildings.

oudavid1
3/19/2012, 06:56 PM
9mm will help

Gas and a light. Fire in the hole.

I Am Right
3/19/2012, 07:00 PM
Gas and a light. Fire in the hole.

LOL

BigTip
3/19/2012, 10:59 PM
Anyone heard of some angry badger attacking a human for violating its den?

Not a badger, but I've gotten tangled up with some raging beaver before that I was violating.

cleller
3/20/2012, 08:00 AM
Not a badger, but I've gotten tangled up with some raging beaver before that I was violating.

Hmmmm.