PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned out the storm cellar today... needed items?

ouwasp
3/16/2012, 07:18 PM
I have a little 8x10 storm cellar in the backyard. Dad made me put it in back after the kids were born, you know how grandpas are. Hope I never need it. Anyhow, every spring about this time I do the clean-out ritual. Vacuum all the cobwebs and toss the old peanut butter crackers to the birds. Dump the old bottled water. Put a new air freshener in...

Besides snacks and water, we keep a couple old blankets, gloves, a long crowbar. Lights. What else might be good to store in the cellar?

StoopTroup
3/16/2012, 07:48 PM
Kentucky Jelly?

StoopTroup
3/16/2012, 07:54 PM
Past OU Gameday DVDs, a .22 cal Rifle, A Crossbow and bolts, a Compound bow with arrows, a knife. Those survival water straws, some rope, parts for a block and tackle in case you need to move something heavy, Machete, basic hand tools, crowbar, a broom and dust pan, fire starting stuff like a Magnesium bar or flint/steel.

I think you could watch some of these Doomsday YouTube videos these folks are making and come up with a list.

Peroxide, rubbing alcohol, First Aid Kit, wind up flashlight that doesn't need batteries, flares....I could go on. :D

cleller
3/16/2012, 10:18 PM
Anti-venom, tourniquet, razor blades, benadryl, Rorschach tests, solar radio (as conversation piece), complete Boxcar Children library.

OU_Sooners75
3/16/2012, 10:27 PM
I have a little 8x10 storm cellar in the backyard. Dad made me put it back when the kids were born, you know how grandpas are. Hope I never need it. Anyhow, every spring about this time I do the clean-out ritual. Vacuum all the cobwebs and toss the old peanut butter crackers to the birds. Dump the old bottled water. Put a new air freshener in...

Besides snacks and water, we keep a couple old blankets, gloves, a long crowbar. Lights. What else might be good to store in the cellar?

Batteries, radio (weather radio), condoms, first aid kit, beer, ice machine powered by diesel generator, fishing poles, tackle box, rifle, and pistol, vaseline, air pump, 4 days worth of emergency food supply (or more).....cots or bedding, TV and foil antenna, and Ham radio....oh and a refrigerator (remember, you have the diesel generator).

After you get this all in there, you may not be able to use it for a tornado shelter...LOL

olevetonahill
3/16/2012, 10:31 PM
Yall are ignorant

All ya need is Beer Spam and Hookers
Yer welcome

achiro
3/16/2012, 10:46 PM
Just in case you get stuck for a while:
Get some glow sticks from the camping area at Wal-mart, batteries wear out/corrode etc. A bucket for a toilet(you can get one with a seat if you want high class);). Trash bags for said toilet. TP. A few cans of food. Not sure how old your kids are but some warm clothes/hat can really help especially if you have to run through the rain to get there. Cards or other games for the kids.
A grab bag next to the door is good as well for that stuff you don't want to worry about corroding, molding, etc

ouwasp
3/16/2012, 11:06 PM
Oh, the kids are 18 and moved off to college. Had the cellar since the mid-90s I. Never have seriously stocked it like I ought to. But after cleaning it out today, it was on my mind, thought I'd toss it out on the SO.

Figured to get some enlightened response and the entertaining types as well. Wife has read some of the SO offerings before, she predicted somone would say condoms! But I got the Big V a few yrs ago, so no need for those.

I think I will get some glow sticks, that's a good idea. The smell-good candle down there wouldn't be so nice if there were natural gas in the area...

Whet
3/17/2012, 12:36 AM
A jack and 4x4 to open the door, if something lands on it.

MamaMia
3/17/2012, 01:50 AM
Also...
Put an extra bottle of all your prescription medications in a Ziploc bag, including inhalers or any other prescribed device. Be sure to use them before they expire and rotate with new. Use airtight, or sealed bags for whatever you can. Dont forget the pets, if you have them.

olevetonahill
3/17/2012, 04:29 AM
Hookers, Booze and Spam Im telin ya.

What the hell else could a man need or want?

ouwasp
3/17/2012, 10:21 AM
Vet, you never fail to amuse me. But I'm a Baptist deacon, can't be seen with the whiskey. However, if the house got flattened, I might just feel like a shot or three! Spam is a good idea as well. Hookers are too expensive and can't be as pretty as my wife!

olevetonahill
3/17/2012, 02:01 PM
Vet, you never fail to amuse me. But I'm a Baptist deacon, can't be seen with the whiskey. However, if the house got flattened, I might just feel like a shot or three! Spam is a good idea as well. Hookers are too expensive and can't be as pretty as my wife!

Thats why ya hide it in the Storm cellar Bro.
And If ya got a Hawt wife I guess the Hookers aint really a necessity

StoopTroup
3/18/2012, 02:10 AM
Figured to get some enlightened response and the entertaining types as well. Wife has read some of the SO offerings before, she predicted somone would say condoms! But I got the Big V a few yrs ago, so no need for those.

Wow! You got a Big Vagina? No way I could have my weenus cut off. :D ;)

I Am Right
3/18/2012, 09:33 AM
Dish network hook up with internet

Tulsa_Fireman
3/18/2012, 06:18 PM
The Fleshlight.

ADs_Agent
3/19/2012, 01:00 PM
bring a pitching wedge, a stuffed buffalo and a bucket of ice. When the time comes, you'll know what to do

BigTip
3/19/2012, 10:56 PM
But I got the Big V a few yrs ago, so no need for those.

Well that's just great. What if you're in there and it turns out to be Armageddon? Who in the heck is going to re-populate the world now?!!