PDA

View Full Version : Lake County (FL) Democratic Party asked to remove "altered" US Flag

TitoMorelli
3/13/2012, 11:24 PM
Yeah, ya really don't think that some veterans or other Americans might feel that's inappropriate?

_________

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2012-03/68785178.jpg

Best recent comment referred to efforts to rename Chicago to "Obamagrad."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/lake/os-barack-obama-flag-face-20120313,0,7169871.story

SicEmBaylor
3/13/2012, 11:26 PM
Is this different than when certain colleges replace the stars with their school logo?

I don't have a problem with it so long as it isn't something inherently negative....like a swastika.

TitoMorelli
3/13/2012, 11:41 PM
I think it is different, Sicem. For one thing, I'm not so sure whether any state university actually does fly a customized American flag as such, even though certain individuals may. I especially doubt that the university would fly such a flag directly below an American flag as shown above.

And I would likely be offended by such a display by OU or any other school. Just as I'd be offended if it were a GOP headquarters flying a flag modified into a "Bush," "Gingrich," "Romney," US flag in such a manner.

ictsooner7
3/14/2012, 12:04 AM
I think it is different, Sicem. For one thing, I'm not so sure whether any state university actually does fly a customized American flag as such, even though certain individuals may. I especially doubt that the university would fly such a flag directly below an American flag as shown above.

And I would likely be offended by such a display by OU or any other school. Just as I'd be offended if it were a GOP headquarters flying a flag modified into a "Bush," "Gingrich," "Romney," US flag in such a manner.

............and there it finally is, a republican admiting it's "different" when a democrat does something that others are doing. That is there mantra, but IT'S differnet! It doesn't matter if it's the debt, adultry or changing the flag, it's different when a dem does it.

yermom
3/14/2012, 12:22 AM
*ahem*

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/royce1971/trent/SoonerFlag.jpg

LiveLaughLove
3/14/2012, 01:58 AM
Yeah that OU flag sucks almost as much as the Obama one.

soonerhubs
3/14/2012, 02:52 AM
I think it is different, Sicem. For one thing, I'm not so sure whether any state university actually does fly a customized American flag as such, even though certain individuals may. I especially doubt that the university would fly such a flag diristly below an American flag as shown above.

............and there it finally is, a republican admiting it's "different" when a democrat does something that others are doing. That is there mantra, but IT'S differnet! It doesn't matter if it's the debt, adultry or changing the flag, it's different when a dem does it.

It's ok icky. Reading is hard sometimes.

OULenexaman
3/14/2012, 08:21 AM
it's ****ing disgusting....

cleller
3/14/2012, 08:41 AM
This altered US flag was displayed outside the Democratic Party headquarters, not on some tailgater's party bus. Of course it should come down, same as if some Republican Party office put one up with Mitt, etc.

cleller
3/14/2012, 08:43 AM
It's ok icky. Reading is hard sometimes.

That's what I was thinking. Tito was saying "it the same...." not its different.

sappstuf
3/14/2012, 08:49 AM

http://headblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/drunk-guy-damn-right.jpg

soonercruiser
3/14/2012, 10:04 PM

This!

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn212/SoonerCruiser_photos/Political/notfacism.jpg

soonercruiser
3/14/2012, 10:07 PM
Is this different than when certain colleges replace the stars with their school logo?

I don't have a problem with it so long as it isn't something inherently negative....like a swastika.

Millions, MILLIONS, MILLIONS of American soldiers have died defending that flag!
Obama didn't lift a d*** finger for "the flag"!
Shows how out of touch the Demoncratic Party leaders are.

olevetonahill
3/14/2012, 10:10 PM

Icky is still on his "Full Retard" meds I see

SicEmBaylor
3/14/2012, 10:12 PM
Millions, MILLIONS, MILLIONS of American soldiers have died defending that flag!
Did millions upon millions of frat boys die for the flag to have their logo on it? You can say it's completely different, but the problem is that it isn't different.

This is manufactured outrage.

And, not that it matters, but millions upon millions upon millions have not died in defense of that flag. The number is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.4 million from the Revolution until now. Again...not that it matters.

olevetonahill
3/14/2012, 10:17 PM
Did millions upon millions of frat boys die for the flag to have their logo on it? You can say it's completely different, but the problem is that it isn't different.

And, not that it matters, but millions upon millions upon millions have not died in defense of that flag. The number is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.4 million from the Revolution until now. Again...not that it matters.

I picked up a clinker and wore the alice pack fer THIS country

I may find it reprehensible for some one to do this, But Ill still defend their right to do so .

Now as to Flying "Old Glory " in a subservient position Ill kick some ones *** for that.

SicEmBaylor
3/14/2012, 10:19 PM

They're absolutely endorsing it when they license the OU logo to be placed on the flag. It's not unique to OU...a lot of schools do it. Baylor has its version of the Texas flag with BU on it. But don't pretend like the people who put logos on the flag are copyright renegades when these schools and organizations licensed their logos to be used in that matter.

AlboSooner
3/14/2012, 10:56 PM

The soldiers died for the country and not the flag. The flag is like a national logo. Logos and trademarks are OK, but it's the company that provides the services.

Nobody goes to war to defend a flag; they go to defend a country.

olevetonahill
3/14/2012, 11:00 PM
The soldiers died for the country and not the flag. The flag is like a national logo. Logos and trademarks are OK, but it's the company that provides the services.

Nobody goes to war to defend a flag; they go to defend a country.

The FLAG is a Guide on. It becomes to the Troop a symbol of what hes Fighting for. So Wrong we do Fight for that Flag.

AlboSooner
3/14/2012, 11:05 PM
The FLAG is a Guide on. It becomes to the Troop a symbol of what hes Fighting for. So Wrong we do Fight for that Flag.

And as you know symbols are just representations of the real thing. Symbols, being abstract in nature, have their meaning in the real thing, in this case the symbolic of the flag points to our country.

One does a great disservice to the real thing, when the symbol is more revered and more adored than the real thing it represents. :)

olevetonahill
3/14/2012, 11:21 PM
And as you know symbols are just representations of the real thing. Symbols, being abstract in nature, have their meaning in the real thing, in this case the symbolic of the flag points to our country.

One does a great disservice to the real thing, when the symbol is more revered and more adored than the real thing it represents. :)
Never been in combat have ya ?

That Flag dont hit the ground unless theres no one left to Hold it up.

TitoMorelli
3/15/2012, 10:44 AM
They're absolutely endorsing it when they license the OU logo to be placed on the flag. It's not unique to OU...a lot of schools do it. Baylor has its version of the Texas flag with BU on it. But don't pretend like the people who put logos on the flag are copyright renegades when these schools and organizations licensed their logos to be used in that matter.

That's not my point. Have you seen such institutions flying their copyrighted flags officially and on the same flagpole as a real American flag? If they want to make money off alums and fans that think it's somehow cool or original, fine. But imo it's a different matter for a school or organization to display any such flag in a way that contradicts well-established protocol concerning the proper treatment of the US flag.

Midtowner
3/15/2012, 10:50 AM
B4guUluzHRQ

OUTRAGE!!!

Really though... no one died for a piece of symbolic colored cloth. Or at least I hope their reasons for putting their lives on the line weren't that shallow.

Folks put their lives on the line for our freedoms and to keep us from being under the thumb of some monarch or tyrant or to keep the South from seceding or to keep Fascism from sweeping through Europe and the Pacific or to stop the spread of Communism.

SicEmBaylor
3/15/2012, 10:53 AM
That's not my point. Have you seen such institutions flying their copyrighted flags officially and on the same flagpole as a real American flag? If they want to make money off alums and fans that think it's somehow cool or original, fine. But imo it's a different matter for a school or organization to display any such flag in a way that contradicts well-established protocol concerning the proper treatment of the US flag.

I don't see where the flag is flown as being particularly relevant. If you believe that a flag with a logo replacing the stars is insulting then it's insulting whether it's on a flag pole or not.

Midtowner
3/15/2012, 11:02 AM
I don't see where the flag is flown as being particularly relevant. If you believe that a flag with a logo replacing the stars is insulting then it's insulting whether it's on a flag pole or not.

Mr. Morelli admits that whether it's insulting is subjective anyhow. What is outrage for one person isn't outrage for everyone.

TitoMorelli
3/15/2012, 11:22 AM
And both Mr. SicEm and Mr. 'Towner conveniently overlook that there is established decorum concerning how our national flag should be displayed, and in what manner any other flags should be flown when displayed near it:

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Those who decided to fly their cult of personality flag did so in such a manner that showed disrespect towards our national flag. Not according to my opinion or sense of what constitutes offense. According to our national tradition and guidelines concerning such display. One should at least expect the local HQ of a national party to understand that, or at least be smart enough to want to research it first.

sappstuf
3/15/2012, 11:27 AM
Put David Boren's mug on that OU flag and THEN we have a conversation!

SicEmBaylor
3/15/2012, 11:41 AM
And both Mr. SicEm and Mr. 'Towner conveniently overlook that there is established decorum concerning how our national flag should be displayed, and in what manner any other flags should be flown when displayed near it:

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Those who decided to fly their cult of personality flag did so in such a manner that showed disrespect towards our national flag. Not according to my opinion or sense of what constitutes offense. According to our national tradition and guidelines concerning such display. One should at least expect the local HQ of a national party to understand that, or at least be smart enough to want to research it first.

People violate the flag code every single day -- many of them are the right. Flag shirts, flying it on the same pole as another flag, swimsuits, hats, etc. etc. etc. are all forms of "desecrating" the flag.

The fact is, any logo on an American flag is desecrating the flag whether it's flown on a pole in front of an office or not. That makes no difference -- it just makes the act more blatant.

Considering the fact that people see an act of flag desecration on a daily basis, I think this is manufactured outrage. The Lake County party exercised bad judgement by flying the flag, but I'm far far more interested in the message they were trying to convey than the act itself.

In fact, this outrage by the flag itself is overshadowing a discussion that should take place on what the Lake County party was trying to say or tell people by flying the flag. That's a far better discussion than this.

TitoMorelli
3/15/2012, 12:34 PM
Fair enough. Good points, SicEm.

sappstuf
3/15/2012, 12:40 PM
[SIZE=3]http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2012-03/68785178.jpg

That American flag doesn't have 57 stars with one to go either....

http://www.snopes.com/politics/graphics/lapelpin.jpg

soonercruiser
3/15/2012, 11:07 PM

You correct!
It doesn't matter, and isn't pertinent.

soonercruiser
3/15/2012, 11:16 PM
B4guUluzHRQ

OUTRAGE!!!

Really though... no one died for a piece of symbolic colored cloth. Or at least I hope their reasons for putting their lives on the line weren't that shallow.

Folks put their lives on the line for our freedoms and to keep us from being under the thumb of some monarch or tyrant or to keep the South from seceding or to keep Fascism from sweeping through Europe and the Pacific or to stop the spread of Communism.

Boy! You libs have reeeeaaaaalllly have lost the big picture.
No wonder you think like you do!

I consider Obama's face on the flag as serious as burning the flag....BIG TIME DISRESPECT.
(I really do not pay attention to some of the sports & school flags that you mention. AS a military vet, I would be outraged in those cases too.)
It is an indication of the importance that the Demoncratic Party gives "The Messiah", over the country.
And, is an indication of why Democratic legislators vote the way they do.
The good of the "republic" is subsurvient....an they think that "we the people" should be subsurvient to the "State".

LiveLaughLove
3/15/2012, 11:58 PM
The chairwoman for Lake County is claiming something I've never heard before from a Democrat.

"It leads me to believe that it's not about the flag," she told FoxNews.com. "Certain elements cannot accept Barack Obama as president."

Hurlbert said she intends to contact an attorney regarding the matter and remained non-committal as to whether she'll fly the flag again.

"I won't say no and I won't say yes," she said. "We want to find out what our legal rights are."

Sounds like she's calling those veterans lying racists to me. It also sounds like she sure doesn't respect their complaint. She simply wants to know what is HER legal right about it. To heck with the veterans. Cool gal I'm sure.

ictsooner7
3/16/2012, 01:50 AM
Boy! You libs have reeeeaaaaalllly have lost the big picture.
No wonder you think like you do!

I consider Obama's face on the flag as serious as burning the flag....BIG TIME DISRESPECT.
(I really do not pay attention to some of the sports & school flags that you mention. AS a military vet, I would be outraged in those cases too.)
It is an indication of the importance that the Demoncratic Party gives "The Messiah", over the country.
The good of the "republic" is subsurvient....an they think that "we the people" should be subsurvient to the "State".

Another rightwing website thread. Obama doesn't wear a tie into the oval office, Clinton has an affair, Obama is increasing the debt. It's OK when a republican does it, but a national outrage when a democrat does it. Laughable.

Turd_Ferguson
3/16/2012, 01:57 AM
Another rightwing website thread. Obama doesn't wear a tie into the oval office, Clinton has an affair, Obama is increasing the debt. It's OK when a republican does it, but a national outrage when a democrat does it. Laughable.Still deflecting eh?

SicEmBaylor
3/16/2012, 01:58 AM
Another rightwing website thread. Obama doesn't wear a tie into the oval office, Clinton has an affair, Obama is increasing the debt. It's OK when a republican does it, but a national outrage when a democrat does it. Laughable.

I'm as conservative as they come, but I hate hypocrisy and playing the "gotcha!" game over petty *** **** like this. The country is potentially facing a major economic collapse (brought on by both sides) and people are arguing over **** like this.

I weep for the Republic.

ictsooner7
3/16/2012, 07:55 AM
I'm as conservative as they come, but I hate hypocrisy and playing the "gotcha!" game over petty *** **** like this. The country is potentially facing a major economic collapse (brought on by both sides) and people are arguing over **** like this.

I weep for the Republic.

Yet another laughable statement.

Turd_Ferguson
3/16/2012, 08:25 AM
Yet another laughable statement.No, the statement is spot on...you on the other hand, are laughable...

Midtowner
3/16/2012, 10:30 AM
Sounds like she's calling those veterans lying racists to me. It also sounds like she sure doesn't respect their complaint. She simply wants to know what is HER legal right about it. To heck with the veterans. Cool gal I'm sure.

Veterans are as capable as being full of **** as the next guy. Also, a group of veterans hardly speak for the entire group. Finally, being a veteran does not get you special consideration in debates about public policy or respecting the flag or whatever.

Midtowner
3/16/2012, 10:31 AM

You got all of that from a flag?

KantoSooner
3/16/2012, 11:52 AM
I could get more worked up about this if I didn't see flags mistreated all the time. I don't think anyone even reads the rules on flag handling anymore. And they aren't difficult to master.