PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Lofton

Sooner in Tampa
3/13/2012, 08:44 AM
TONS of rumors that Curtis Lofton will be a Buccaneer by the end of the day or sometime tomorrow!!! Apparently Gerald McCoy has been working this behind the scenes to get Lofton on the team.

I would love to have another Sooner on our Squad.

FOX Sports' Alex Marvez reports the Bucs are expected to make a "strong push" for free agent MLB Curtis Lofton.
It appears the Bucs' new regime is ready to pull the plug on the Mason Foster experiment at middle linebacker. Lofton already had one foot out the door in Atlanta before Saturday's signing of Lofa Tatupu, and is now almost certain to be playing elsewhere in 2012. Mar. 13 - 9:15 am et

85sooners
3/13/2012, 08:52 AM
Lofton kicks ***!!

sooner_born_1960
3/13/2012, 09:13 AM
I question whether a player really has any impact on working a trade. He may be all for it, but I seriously doubt Gerald can really do anything to make it happen.

badger
3/13/2012, 09:20 AM
GK is a good guy. I can't imagine they wouldn't want him happy in Tampa :)

Boomer.....
3/13/2012, 09:23 AM
Wasn't Tommy Harris trying to make deals done for former OU players in Chicago? One of the reaseons he got so mad at the coaching staff was cutting a former OU player.

badger
3/13/2012, 09:27 AM
Wasn't Tommy Harris trying to make deals done for former OU players in Chicago? One of the reaseons he got so mad at the coaching staff was cutting a former OU player.

Yeah, but his production was going down and he was starting to butt heads with Lovie, so I'm not sure how much influence he had after awhile. One of his best friends was Mark Bradley, so seeing Bradley leave (to KC I think?) was probably what set him off.

I am actually kind of surprised Lovie is still in Chi-town. Losing to the Packers must feel routine at this point. Bear down you sucky bears, bear down! :P

cccasooner2
3/13/2012, 09:36 AM

Tommie needs to take a lesson from Hyman Roth, it's not personal, it's just business.

Sooner in Tampa
3/13/2012, 09:47 AM
I question whether a player really has any impact on working a trade. He may be all for it, but I seriously doubt Gerald can really do anything to make it happen.
I really don't know how true it all is...but I have heard that McCoy pushed for Madu and he is a Buccaneer.

Also, this isn't a trade. Lofton is an Unrestricted Free Agent

Condescending Sooner
3/13/2012, 12:45 PM
Why doesn't Atlanta re-sign him? He was arguably their best defensive player of the last few years.

badger
3/13/2012, 12:48 PM
Why doesn't Atlanta re-sign him? He was arguably their best defensive player of the last few years.

Didn't they just acquire a different linebacker? He might not wanna return.

SoonerAtKU
3/13/2012, 01:42 PM
I just hope he still has the generous stat keepers wherever he goes. He's been a great undervalued pick in fantasy football leagues that play individual defensive players.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/13/2012, 03:42 PM
It's done..He's a Buc.

sooner_born_1960
3/13/2012, 03:45 PM
Thank Gerald.

jk the sooner fan
3/13/2012, 06:26 PM
link? because i cant find it on nfl.com

VA Sooner
3/13/2012, 07:57 PM
Lofton is a man! Covering the middle and with Weatherspoon there by his side, they were two hard-hitting Falcons.

Is it my imagination, or did Lofton bulk up by 20-30 pounds of weight and kept his speed?

jk the sooner fan
3/13/2012, 09:55 PM
umm, this is NOT a done deal

it may be in the future but he isnt a Buc as of now....

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/atlanta-falcons/2012/3/13/2868774/nfl-free-agency-curtis-lofton-buccaneers

usaosooner
3/14/2012, 12:08 AM
Hope it happens

StoopTroup
3/14/2012, 02:11 AM
The Falcons don't have the money to keep Loftin is the word so it would seem that if Tampa wants him all they'll need to do is beat Atlanta's offer.

This Salary Cap deal the NFL came up with sure doesn't seem to be helping Veterans much. I mean Curtis helped Atlanta get as far as they did last year and as soon as his contract is up they let a **** load of players go? The Teams are all seemingly just going to pay superstar franchise players and just surround them with league minimum free agents from here on out?

Sooner in Tampa
3/14/2012, 05:49 AM
The Lofton deal fell through late yesterday...Lofton is out of his rabbit *** mind if he thinks he is going to get $9M a year. I love him, and want him to be a Buc...but, he is worth $6M a yr...and I think the Bucs would pay that.

I hope they can get this deal done.

sooner_born_1960
3/14/2012, 07:47 AM
Oops. Get back to work, Gerald.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/14/2012, 08:30 AM
The Lofton deal fell through late yesterday...Lofton is out of his rabbit *** mind if he thinks he is going to get $9M a year. I love him, and want him to be a Buc...but, he is worth $6M a yr...and I think the Bucs would pay that.

Are you hearing that on Tampa radio?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/14/2012, 08:38 AM
Nevermind I see it..Interested to see why he raised up his asking price at that point in the game..He is a solid tackling LB, but he can't cover..That's a lot of juice for a non pro bowl LB.

Sooner in Tampa
3/14/2012, 11:08 AM
Chatter around town is that this deal may still get done. Tampa is suddenly turning into a hot market for Free Agents...we have never seen anything like this as Buccaneer fans.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/14/2012, 11:20 AM
Bucs have(had) like 44 million in cap room...It's a hot market when they know that TB has the money to pay...

I'm fairly sure it still gets down..SI and Fox News both reported it was done yesterday, that's why I thought it was a done deal.

Sooner in Tampa
3/14/2012, 11:57 AM
Bucs have(had) like 44 million in cap room...It's a hot market when they know that TB has the money to pay...

I'm fairly sure it still gets down..SI and Fox News both reported it was done yesterday, that's why I thought it was a done deal.
All of the money is one thing...convincing guys to come to a squad that was 3-13 and just fired the head coach is another. Especially when you consider the fact that Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks were both rated #1 at their respective positions.

Couple that with the fact that the Glazers have NEVER spent this kind of money in Free Agency.

All told...signing the biggest named Free Agents is not an automatic formula for wins

BillyBall
3/14/2012, 12:11 PM
All of the money is one thing...convincing guys to come to a squad that was 3-13 and just fired the head coach is another. Especially when you consider the fact that Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks were both rated #1 at their respective positions.

Couple that with the fact that the Glazers have NEVER spent this kind of money in Free Agency.

I thought the FA spending was due to a clause "salary floor" in the new CBA. Like you have to spend a certain 90% of your cap on player compensation or you are fined/lose draft picks, etc.? I could totally be wrong, I just thought that was one reason the Bears finally started spending money recently.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/14/2012, 01:21 PM
I thought the FA spending was due to a clause "salary floor" in the new CBA. Like you have to spend a certain 90% of your cap on player compensation or you are fined/lose draft picks, etc.? I could totally be wrong, I just thought that was one reason the Bears finally started spending money recently.

This is correct

Sooner in Tampa
3/14/2012, 01:23 PM
Sure...but that doesn't factor in until NEXT year...2013

BillyBall
3/14/2012, 01:52 PM
But if you have a lot of room and you have to increase the % spend on compensation of your cap, doesn't it make a lot more sense to do it more methodically over a few years than just over spending on FA in next years market to make the ratio? Try to kind of scale the percentage increase over a course of time instead...

Sooner in Tampa
3/15/2012, 08:36 AM
But if you have a lot of room and you have to increase the % spend on compensation of your cap, doesn't it make a lot more sense to do it more methodically over a few years than just over spending on FA in next years market to make the ratio? Try to kind of scale the percentage increase over a course of time instead...
For sure...start spending a chunk of that money this yr so that next yr you aren't forced to spend money just to spend money.

stoopified
3/17/2012, 11:34 AM
I question whether a player really has any impact on working a trade. He may be all for it, but I seriously doubt Gerald can really do anything to make it happen.I dunno how much influence GK has in Tampa but I did hear him say(on The Rush-Dusty and Teddy's show on KREF) that he has been working the GM to get Lofton and possibly Reggie Smith to the Bucs.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/19/2012, 10:00 AM
Through 2 seasons, McCoy has 39 tackles and 4 sacks...I know he was injured, but I don't imagine he is swinging a big stick in the front office.

Sooner in Tampa
3/19/2012, 10:26 AM
Through 2 seasons, McCoy has 39 tackles and 4 sacks...I know he was injured, but I don't imagine he is swinging a big stick in the front office.
I don't know for sure either...and I know that talking to him, that's not really what he wants to do.

Whenever ANYBODY speaks about the defense...McCoy is mentioned as the cornerstone. The team defense REALLY took a **** last year after McCoy got hurt. He may not rack up a ton of stats, but it is understood that he is REQUIRED for the defense to prosper.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/19/2012, 11:27 AM
It is required that he play up to potential which his really hasn't happened yet..

I understand his role and yeah he isn't a stats guy, but there is some things that he really needs to improve on in order to be the type of DT they need him to be.

I expect big things from him this season if he can stay healthy.

Sooner in Tampa
3/19/2012, 11:34 AM
It is required that he play up to potential which his really hasn't happened yet..
No doubt STEP...No doubt.

I will say this...he has to play a full season. He has played 6 games in each of the last two seasons and folks around town are itching to hit the "BUST" button. Like I said, the defense played significantly better when he was on the field. I watch every game, and I can tell you, GMC has is the first guy to make contact on that defensive line 90% of the time. He is in the mix FAST...now, he just has to make more "splash" plays.

AND...this is something that I hadn't thought about until Gerald told me...he is getting ready to play for his 3rd different defensive coordinator AND position coach for the third year in row. It really has been a mess as far as the coaching situation goes in Tampa. When a QB goes through something like that, folks generally give him a pass. He's not complaining...he just brought up while we were talking about Sam the Ram.

I am just hoping that he has a great year this year...we (Buccaneers) need it pretty bad.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/19/2012, 11:43 AM
Most players are given that label too quickly, especially in today's game.When I see people throwing that label around here on non Sooners, I think "If that guy played at OU, you wouldn't say that"....If Andrew Luck throws near 30 INTs and they only win 3 games next year, everyone will be calling him a bust...Not remembering Peyton Manning did the same thing..

I think he'll be OK..Hopefully he can put in a full season's worth of work this year...

Salt City Sooner
3/24/2012, 09:42 PM
Lofton to New Orleans; 5 year deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/24/saints-lift-curtis-lofton-from-falcons/

jk the sooner fan
3/25/2012, 09:37 AM
they likely realize Vilma wont be available

Bourbon St Sooner
3/26/2012, 06:45 AM
Woot! CL's a Saint.

We've signed 3 defensive FAs so we know at least 3 guys will be on the field in week 1.

Sooner in Tampa
3/26/2012, 07:42 AM
Lofton to New Orleans; 5 year deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/24/saints-lift-curtis-lofton-from-falcons/

WTF??? Why would he sign with such a sleazy...filthy excuse of a team.

Oh well, enjoy your time Curtis...I guess it really is like Randy Moss said..."Straight Cash, Homey"

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 01:57 PM

Who Dat Huh? LoL

Sooner in Tampa
3/27/2012, 06:49 AM
Who Dat Huh? LoL
I guess he was looking for some extra cash via the Bounty program. He can pick up a few extra grand each game...tax free

SoonerofAlabama
3/31/2012, 06:08 PM
I thought it was weird that the Falcons coach said he wasn't an every-down kind of linebacker. Lofton and Vilma will be a pretty good duo anyways though.