PDA

View Full Version : Penalties handed down by NCAA in Blake/UNC case.....

Salt City Sooner
3/12/2012, 03:51 PM
no bowl this year, plus loss of 5 'ships each of the next 3 years:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/03/ncaa-rules-on-north-carolinas-football-penalties/1

StoopTroup
3/13/2012, 01:28 AM
Blake Griffin played for UNC? :D ;)

prrriiide
3/13/2012, 03:02 AM
Did lard-*** get a show-cause?

PLaw
3/13/2012, 08:27 AM
Wow, Boo. Seriously???

Bummer

SoonerMarkVA
3/13/2012, 08:38 AM
The NCAA said that since Blake did not cooperate and provided false and misleading information, there was a significant delay in the ruling.

Mr. Honesty and Integrity continuing to live up to his high moral standards.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/13/2012, 08:43 AM
Britton Banowsky, former OU student and son of former Ou President, who was the namesake of the Banowsky Battleship library addition and clock tower...

85sooners
3/13/2012, 08:55 AM
Blake did Nothing wrong here!:playful:

Salt City Sooner
3/13/2012, 03:13 PM
Did lard-*** get a show-cause?
3 years.

EatLeadCommie
3/13/2012, 05:47 PM
isn't this pretty much the same penalty that USC got?

MamaMia
3/13/2012, 08:15 PM
I shutter to think of what the NCAA would have done to OU if we were of have done all that.

Peeb
3/13/2012, 08:59 PM
I shutter to think of what the NCAA would have done to OU if we were of have done all that.It would NOT have been pretty. For some reason, NCAA does not seem to give OU much deference.

SEC school? Benefit of the doubt given.
OU- not so much.

Realizing that I'm whining, but it 'taint always fair where the NCAA is involved.

MamaMia
3/15/2012, 05:40 PM
It would NOT have been pretty. For some reason, NCAA does not seem to give OU much deference.

SEC school? Benefit of the doubt given.
OU- not so much.

Realizing that I'm whining, but it 'taint always fair where the NCAA is involved. I believe its related to a long held grudge on the part of the NCAA. Back in 1984, OUs Board of Regents along with the University of Georgias Athletic Association sued the NCAA over the subject television rights. This case went from the Oklahoma District Court, then to the 10th Circuit, all the way up to the Supreme Court. It was extremely involved, but long story short....Since the early 50's, the NCAA limited and controlled the television appearances of the universities teams every season, however the Court held that the NCAA's actions were a restraint of trade and ruled in favor of the schools. The NCAA was only allowing the universities to have one televised game per year and they had to be played on Saturdays. Plus, the NCAA was forcing the schools who played on TV to give them a portion of their revenue. The court found that the NCAA was guilty of price fixing as well. All of NCAAs arguments and justifications were rejected by all but two Supreme Court Judges; Byron White and also Justice William Rehnquist, who disagreed with the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Side note: The horns have OU to thank for their Longhorn Network.

Anyway, I believe that law suit is why the NCAA frowns upon us in such a discriminatory way.

sooneron
3/15/2012, 08:07 PM
What Mama said ^

-fARpKl1Bsc

Damn, I still like this song!

StoopTroup
3/16/2012, 04:50 AM
It's funny that even when you lose a Supreme Court Decision you'd still hold a grudge about something you were obviously not treating fairly. Take a look at NCAA Basketball. All 4 #1 seeds are schools that are from East of the Mississippi. They don't ever want to see that change either.

King Barry's Back
3/19/2012, 11:39 AM
I believe its related to a long held grudge on the part of the NCAA. Back in 1984, OUs Board of Regents along with the University of Georgias Athletic Association sued the NCAA over the subject television rights. This case went from the Oklahoma District Court, then to the 10th Circuit, all the way up to the Supreme Court. It was extremely involved, but long story short....Since the early 50's, the NCAA limited and controlled the television appearances of the universities teams every season, however the Court held that the NCAA's actions were a restraint of trade and ruled in favor of the schools. The NCAA was only allowing the universities to have one televised game per year and they had to be played on Saturdays. Plus, the NCAA was forcing the schools who played on TV to give them a portion of their revenue. The court found that the NCAA was guilty of price fixing as well. All of NCAAs arguments and justifications were rejected by all but two Supreme Court Judges; Byron White and also Justice William Rehnquist, who disagreed with the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Side note: The horns have OU to thank for their Longhorn Network.

Anyway, I believe that law suit is why the NCAA frowns upon us in such a discriminatory way.

That dead horse has been beaten to death. I graduated high school in 1984, and I know how long ago it was. There just can't be that many people still at the NCAA who were there in '84, and of those, how many would seriously still be holding a grudge against OU over something that is making them all rich. Besides that, the OU people who carried on the legal fight are all long gone, anyway. At least one, that interim president who fired Barry Switzer, wound up being a big shot at the NCAA.

So I'll buy that the TV rights case might have influenced the penalties back in the late 80s, but I don't think they have much to do with today.

One more thought: In our recent violations, I think we've gotten off relatively easily. We could have gotten whacked hard by the "Used Car Salesman."

Curly Bill
3/19/2012, 12:55 PM
Everyone hates us! The NCAA, ESPN, national media, everyone in the whole wide world hates us.......................

StoopTroup
3/20/2012, 01:10 AM
Everyone hates us! The NCAA, ESPN, national media, everyone in the whole wide world hates us.......................

If you treat life as a self fulfilling prophecy you are exactly right but if you take some time to talk with folks along the way you can find many of them easy to get along with and even make deals with that will allow you to enjoy some very fun moments and even make you some decent money. Go around tossing around the idea that we are little more than a bunch of damn hillbillies and you will get treated as such.