PDA

View Full Version : Mizzou Fans Chant "SEC, SEC, SEC" After Winning Conference Championship

Sabanball
3/11/2012, 11:43 AM
A little jab at the Big 12 on the way out the door?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vpJWkMbQJA

olevetonahill
3/11/2012, 11:53 AM
**** em

StoopTroup
3/11/2012, 11:56 AM
No different than the jabs we gave them about their sorry a$$ football team leaving the Big XII with NEVER having won a Championship. They should be proud of that Baylor win as RG3 not suiting up for Baylor probably was the difference in them getting shutout at basketball too.

badger
3/11/2012, 11:59 AM
You'll have to forgive them --- they win conference championships so infrequently that they probably almost chanted "Big 8, Big 8" :P

BajaOklahoma
3/11/2012, 12:13 PM
The correct answer to that statement is "Who?" as they will never be heard from again.

Jacie
3/11/2012, 12:16 PM
Missouri has forever been my early exit special when filling out my tournament bracket and they rarely disappoint . . .

sooneredaco
3/11/2012, 12:24 PM
Bawhahahahaha!!! Silly little kittens

picasso
3/11/2012, 12:47 PM
The joke's on them.

LVSOONER15
3/11/2012, 01:58 PM
I bet they will be chanting after getting their asses handed to them every week.

swardboy
3/11/2012, 02:07 PM
Unfortunately MU and TAMU will be used to compare SEC to BIG12 power...how unenlightening.

cccasooner2
3/11/2012, 02:54 PM
Buffs are chanting PAC-12, PAC-12, PAC-12 too...........Maybe.

rekamrettuB
3/11/2012, 06:04 PM
I didn't realize that even basketball fans chanted SEC, SEC, too.

champions77
3/11/2012, 07:41 PM
Gosh, they are going to the most prestiguous, best managed, most stable and richest Conference in all of America, and they are proud of it and they show their pride by chanting SEC, SEC and we get upset by that?

Thank our beloved President David Boren for playing a big role in Mizzou leaving, of course you won't see any of the media types in Oklahoma calling him out for it. Missouri Chancellor Brady Deaton has since stated that David Boren's interest in wanting OU to the PAC 12, which would have destroyed the BIG XII, sent a message to Mizzou that they would have to look out for themselves, that no one else would, and finding a stable conference would be paramount to them into the future.

Heck we might have taken a harder look at what the SEC had to offer, but David Boren was too worried about whether or not those inbreeds up the road were invited too.

When was the last time anyone heard any one screaming BIG XII, BIG XII, BIG XII? Never, right? Give Mizzou and A&M a break, they are going to a fantastic conference, the very best, and my guess is that the competition will indeed make them better. You think that getting the best HS talent out of Texas didn't just get a lot harder? Now the SEC teams will have a foothold there, not to mention TCU's emergence.

Harris County Sooner
3/11/2012, 08:03 PM
**** em
+1

sooneredaco
3/11/2012, 09:20 PM
Gosh, they are going to the most prestiguous, best managed, most stable and richest Conference in all of America, and they are proud of it and they show their pride by chanting SEC, SEC and we get upset by that?

Thank our beloved President David Boren for playing a big role in Mizzou leaving, of course you won't see any of the media types in Oklahoma calling him out for it. Missouri Chancellor Brady Deaton has since stated that David Boren's interest in wanting OU to the PAC 12, which would have destroyed the BIG XII, sent a message to Mizzou that they would have to look out for themselves, that no one else would, and finding a stable conference would be paramount to them into the future.

Heck we might have taken a harder look at what the SEC had to offer, but David Boren was too worried about whether or not those inbreeds up the road were invited too.

When was the last time anyone heard any one screaming BIG XII, BIG XII, BIG XII? Never, right? Give Mizzou and A&M a break, they are going to a fantastic conference, the very best, and my guess is that the competition will indeed make them better. You think that getting the best HS talent out of Texas didn't just get a lot harder? Now the SEC teams will have a foothold there, not to mention TCU's emergence.

70sooner
3/11/2012, 09:24 PM
and I thank the good Lord I've never heard anybody chant BIG12, BIG12 ,BIG12......how freaking stupid would that sound, anyway?

GMAFB.....

8timechamps
3/11/2012, 09:37 PM

Even the SEC poster on this board realized it was a jab at the Big XII. Has nothing to do with how "prestigious" the SEC is.

Why in the hell are the fans so excited to be going to the SEC? Really. Mizzou will take weekly poundings in the SEC, and slip further into mediocrity. And all the fans that like to talk about how much money they'll be getting will not have a penny to show for it. In fact, they'll have less, as Mizzou has increased the price of all their tickets.

You don't hear the ACC or Big East fans chanting "ACC, ACC, ACC" or "Big East, Big East, Big East" during the basketball season, and those two conferences are THE basketball conferences. Why? Because it's stupid.

oulucas
3/11/2012, 09:41 PM

Good for them. Moving to the SEC would have been the stupidest decision we could have made, both athletically and academically.

Chuck Bao
3/11/2012, 09:45 PM
I saw this article.

Missouri’s decision to leave for the Southeastern Conference after this season drew outrage from fans of opposing teams, and all the fans from nine other schools that flocked to the Sprint Center seemed to be rooting hard against the school from just down Interstate 70.

Thousands of fans clad in black and gold in turn booed interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas when he gave away the trophy, and chants of “SEC! SEC!” arose in the closing minutes.

“There were roughly 18,000 people here—it was packed. I would suggest 17,000 of those people were in black and gold,” Missouri athletic director Mike Alden said. “So to suggest that Kansas City, Mo., is a Mizzou town, I can assure you, it absolutely was proof positive today.”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=201203100367

I don't want the conference championship ever in that state again. On second thought, host a few times to steal their recruits.

champions77
3/11/2012, 09:54 PM
Even the SEC poster on this board realized it was a jab at the Big XII. Has nothing to do with how "prestigious" the SEC is.

Why in the hell are the fans so excited to be going to the SEC? Really. Mizzou will take weekly poundings in the SEC, and slip further into mediocrity. And all the fans that like to talk about how much money they'll be getting will not have a penny to show for it. In fact, they'll have less, as Mizzou has increased the price of all their tickets.

You don't hear the ACC or Big East fans chanting "ACC, ACC, ACC" or "Big East, Big East, Big East" during the basketball season, and those two conferences are THE basketball conferences. Why? Because it's stupid.

Basketball? All SEC schools chant it...in every sport. It's called conference pride, they have it, the BIG XII? Probably never will. I don't think it's a jab, it's what they do. Instead of criticizing them for it, let's just hope that the BIG XII will some day have it too.

LRoss
3/11/2012, 10:26 PM

I think both of these are misunderstandings.

1) I don't think anybody here's upset that they chant SEC. I think most of us just feel like it's ridiculous the way the SEC schools/fans/teams seem to cheer for their conference above their own school. Hey -- conference tourney time or bowl season, most of us cheer for Bwhatever schools, too -- but we (somewhat) pull for the conference only because when the conference does well it serves OU's interest in a small way. I think many of us feel like the SEC! SEC! crowd has it completely backwards, like their schools are serving the conference rather than the other way around.

2) See 1. I'll cry the day that OU fans chant for the conference. The conference exists to serve OUr interests, not the other way around.

EatLeadCommie
3/11/2012, 10:42 PM
first and last time they've been relevant in any conference.

who cares.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2012, 04:22 AM
Crowd should have chanted back...

"Last time, last time, last time..."

85sooners
3/12/2012, 08:37 AM
;)

PrideMom
3/12/2012, 09:03 AM
Missouri never had any class, did you expect now??

85sooners
3/12/2012, 09:32 AM
eat **** tigers!

Dio
3/12/2012, 09:44 AM
Mizwho?

badger
3/12/2012, 09:47 AM
first and last time they've been relevant in any conference.

who cares.

It will be especially funny when they're all like "We're the SEC Tigers" and people are all like "Oh! You guys had an awesome quarterback in Cam Newton... or are you the ones coached by the Mad Hatter?" :P

Relevancy... thy name is never Mizzou, hence being a 2-seed despite winning the whatever-conference-you're-in tourney :D

BoomerJ
3/12/2012, 11:18 AM
Missouri never had any class, did you expect now??

Beat me to it. I won't miss them.

Jason White's Third Knee
3/12/2012, 12:28 PM
Big XII isn't chantable without a clap-clap thrown in. I suspect the Big XII would have to get permission from Mack Brown to avoid trade mark infringement.

Big XII clap-clap Big XII clap-clap

Bourbon St Sooner
3/12/2012, 01:51 PM
I didn't realize that even basketball fans chanted SEC, SEC, too.

The only basketball fans in the sec are Kentucky fans and they don't chant sec, sec. The sec tournament was in town this weekend. There were about 15,000 Kentucky fans and maybe 5 fans from any other team.

BTW, mo won the conference tournament, NOT the conference championship.

NMSooner'80
3/12/2012, 01:55 PM
1. I will never chant for whatever conference OU's in at the time. Makes no sense to care more about a conference than your own team. The rest of the league has never rooted for us as far as I've ever been able to tell, when we've had a shot at a national title in football or basketball.
2. That said, I can still tolerate Mizzou winning the tournament over KU, OSU or Texas. But just barely. I'm old enough to have been at OU when the Big 8 tourney was always held in KC and always catered (including officials) to the "Big 3" (KU, MU and KSU). Thank goodness the old Big 8 finally did away with the "holiday tournament" before my senior year of college.

LASooner
3/12/2012, 02:21 PM
I've never understood the conference pride thing, that would be like me cheering for Electronic Arts because we're in the same business.

8timechamps
3/12/2012, 03:53 PM
Basketball? All SEC schools chant it...in every sport. It's called conference pride, they have it, the BIG XII? Probably never will. I don't think it's a jab, it's what they do. Instead of criticizing them for it, let's just hope that the BIG XII will some day have it too.

You missed my point entirely. SEC fans chant "SEC, SEC, SEC" because the majority of them can't chant their school (because the majority of them have done nothing of note). My point was that you don't hear, say, the ACC "fans" chanting "ACC, ACC, ACC" in basketball (and they arguably have the most prestigious basketball conference)....and why don't they do that? Because most people realize it's stupid.

There's conference pride, then there's "my favorite team really sucks or is mediocre, so I'll chant for my conference". The later is what most SEC "fans" do.

As for the Big XII, I'm fine with where it is. I don't need to hope for it to become something else.

And just be honest with yourself, Missouri fans chanted "SEC, SEC, SEC" to take a swipe at the Big XII. As I said in my earlier post, even the SEC poster on this board realized that (see the original post).

I'll stick with cheering (chanting?) for the Sooners in every sport, and if you want to start a Big XII chant, go for it. Just don't expect many people to join. Because most people realize how goofy it is.

nativesooner
3/12/2012, 04:32 PM
Mizzou's been like a schitzophrenic crackhead looking for an escape the past 10 years. They can chant SEC all they want since they'll be watching other SEC teams in the post season the next few years.

badger
3/12/2012, 04:38 PM
Mizzou's been like a schitzophrenic crackhead looking for an escape the past 10 years. They can chant SEC all they want since they'll be watching other SEC teams in the post season the next few years.

Mizzou: S-E-C-! S-E-C!

What they are thinking when they are chanting this: Dag nabbit, why doesn't the Big Ten love us as much as we love them? Why, Big Ten, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?! :(

OU_Sooners75
3/12/2012, 04:39 PM

It isnt conference pride...its called living vicariously through your conference.

If you notice the SEC schools that do it are the ones that generally do not win much in that conference.

badger
3/12/2012, 04:41 PM
If you notice the SEC schools that do it are the ones that generally do not win much in that conference.

Well, NOBODY has won less in the SEC than Mizzou!

... except maybe Texas A&M. :rcmad:

8timechamps
3/12/2012, 04:50 PM
Mizzou: S-E-C-! S-E-C!

What they are thinking when they are chanting this: Dag nabbit, why doesn't the Big Ten love us as much as we love them? Why, Big Ten, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?! :(

We all know if the B1G came calling, they'd leave the SEC in a heartbeat.

Sabanball
3/12/2012, 07:53 PM

+1.

Only time will tell, but I think history will be kind to both TAMU and Mizzou in their decision to join the SEC. Both universities and fan bases seem very excited. Yes, they'll probably both have tough, first years in football but in the long term they will both be better for it. We would have rather had you guys and that's why you were invited--but when your president went against the wishes of the majority of your own fan base and opted to stay married to Texas then the SEC had to look for other programs in the same vicinity to expand our footprint. They may not be top 5 football powers like you guys and us, but they are both solid, all-around programs that I think will do well and add to the conference.

Scott D
3/12/2012, 07:56 PM
this thread should have been started on a mizzou board, where they might actually give a crap.

8timechamps
3/12/2012, 09:47 PM
Only time will tell, but I think history will be kind to both TAMU and Mizzou in their decision to join the SEC. Both universities and fan bases seem very excited. Yes, they'll probably both have tough, first years in football but in the long term they will both be better for it.

If we're only talking about the financial aspect of the universities, then you're probably right. If we're talking about football, then "HA!". These two teams were pretty mediocre for their entire time in the Big XII. Do you really think they are going to be better in the long term (in the SEC)? Really?

They may not be top 5 football powers like you guys and us, but they are both solid, all-around programs that I think will do well and add to the conference.

I don't have any doubt that they will add to the conference (both schools field respectable football and basketball programs and both have significant and involved fan bases). But, let's call it what it is, a money grab.

You and I both know the reason Mizzou was chanting SEC, was to give the Big XII the finger. I don't care how you slice it, chanting any conference is stupid.

StoopTroup
3/13/2012, 12:13 AM
Poor little SicEm got his manties in a wad about my "Ban Baylor" T-Shirt.

Negging the unarmed isn't very nice SicEm.

I can't believe we give BU a shot at taking care of business with Mizzou and the pansy a$$ Bears let them walk away with a Big XII Trophy on their way out the door.

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME Baylor!

Chuck Bao
3/13/2012, 11:04 AM
Poor little SicEm got his manties in a wad about my "Ban Baylor" T-Shirt.

Negging the unarmed isn't very nice SicEm.

I can't believe we give BU a shot at taking care of business with Mizzou and the pansy a$$ Bears let them walk away with a Big XII Trophy on their way out the door.

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME Baylor!

I got the game on Thai TV and I was doing my very best Baylor fan rendition in my Sic'em Bears and singing That Good Ole Baylor Line. Then I started throwing things and pitching a fit that only true Baylor fans can understand. Let's not go into that for shame territory. I've torn up enough of my stuff.

Let's just keep the heap of scorn on A&M and Mizzou peeps.

champions77
3/13/2012, 11:05 AM
It isnt conference pride...its called living vicariously through your conference.

Maybe if the Administrators at Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou and A&M had a little more "conference pride" theu might still be with us. Not much of it in the BIG XII, and we have been raided as much as any conference in the nation. A lot of it in the SEC and.... who has left them in the last fifty years?

I must admit, my conference pride is lacking too as there are a lot of teams in the BIG XII that I cheer against, like Okie Lite and texas, but I was also one that wanted to explore the SEC. It is a great conference, why would you not look into it to some degree?

OU_Sooners75
3/13/2012, 02:22 PM
Maybe if the Administrators at Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou and A&M had a little more "conference pride" theu might still be with us. Not much of it in the BIG XII, and we have been raided as much as any conference in the nation. A lot of it in the SEC and.... who has left them in the last fifty years?

I must admit, my conference pride is lacking too as there are a lot of teams in the BIG XII that I cheer against, like Okie Lite and texas, but I was also one that wanted to explore the SEC. It is a great conference, why would you not look into it to some degree?

If you think those moves had anything to do with the actual conference, you are sadly mistaken.

Nebraska moved because they got tired of Texas' schtick and for more money. Colorado move because they have always dreamed of going to the PAC.

Missouri left essentially because of more money and they felt they would be better served in the Big 10....and when more instability was felt, Missouri grabbed their ball and went home.

And A&M left because they wanted to get out of Texas' shadow and for more money.

Don't kid yourself. It had very little to do with the Big 12 as a whole.

All the teams, sans A&M, that left were old Big 8 teams. They had plenty of Big 8/12 pride...the biggest factor to half of them was due to Texas and their bullying to get what they wanted.

champions77
3/13/2012, 02:44 PM
If you think those moves had anything to do with the actual conference, you are sadly mistaken.

Nebraska moved because they got tired of Texas' schtick and for more money. Colorado move because they have always dreamed of going to the PAC.

Missouri left essentially because of more money.

And A&M left because they wanted to get out of Texas' shadow and for more money.

Don't kid yourself. It had very little to do with the Big 12 as a whole.

I agree with you about the specific reasons the various schools left, but you don't have to "hate" the BIG XII as a whole to be upset enough to leave. What is a conference? It is an accumulation of schools & Conference administrators that have common values and goals. A well run conference does not have the rancor that we have had in this conference. Heck Nebraska was upset for what 15 years before they left. A&M? just tired of texas getting their way on everything. Mizzou? Sees David Boren beating his chest about how much OU is coveted, sees OU leaving, which in turn would have destroyed the BIG XII, and knows that they would be left behind, so they became very aggressively seeking the SEC. Can't blame them. I just don't understand all of the hate for Mizzou and A&M because they wanted to go to a conference, that quite frankly, puts the BIG XII to shame in organization, prestige, tradition and money. Jealousy? Sure seems that way.

I see schools wanting to gain membership in the SEC. I don't see any SEC schools wanting to leave. That ought to tell us something.

sooneredaco
3/13/2012, 03:50 PM
OU as an independent. Eff the rest

Sabanball
3/13/2012, 10:45 PM
OU as an independent. Eff the rest

See Notre Dame and their current contract with NBC. Thats not what you guys want.

Like it or not, or make fun of it all you want, but conference affiliation, going forward, is going to influence big time tv contracts. Mizzou and AM, I promise you, will participate in and financially benefit more from nationally televised games now than they have before.

champions77
3/14/2012, 09:07 AM
See Notre Dame and their current contract with NBC. Thats not what you guys want.

Like it or not, or make fun of it all you want, but conference affiliation, going forward, is going to influence big time tv contracts. Mizzou and AM, I promise you, will participate in and financially benefit more from nationally televised games now than they have before.

+1 More "national exposure" is one of the big reasons A&M bolted to the SEC. Their marketing surveys revealed that the SEC has a much bigger media footprint than any other conference. That would make the A&M brand would become much more recognizable than if staying in the BIG XII. A national appeal rather than a regional appeal.

Escaping texas shadow was certainly a part of the equation as to the reason A&M left. But it was only part of the equation. Their move was based on economic factors as well. They would have never sold the idea to the A&M boosters based purely on "escaping" texas.

soonerloyal
3/14/2012, 11:14 PM
:highly_amused: Noobs.

MamaMia
3/16/2012, 11:50 AM
When was the last time anyone heard any one screaming BIG XII, BIG XII, BIG XII? Never, right? Give Mizzou and A&M a break, they are going to a fantastic conference, the very best, ...Wrong actually. It was loudly and repeatedly chanted during the 3rd and 4th quarters of the Rose bowl we won against Washington State on 1/1/03.

You can go crawl back into your hole now.

LakeRat
3/16/2012, 02:41 PM
Wrong actually. It was loudly and repeatedly chanted during the 3rd and 4th quarters of the Rose bowl we won against Washington State on 1/1/03.

Was also done when Okie State was beating the **** out of Georgia a few years back. Don't mean to pile on 77. But it has happened a couple times now.

StoopTroup
3/16/2012, 03:04 PM
So you have it being done twice and the SEC Folks do it constantly on a daily Basis?

It's why I'm being tough on that Baylor Stadium. Get real. Build a Football Program that meets SEC or B1G expectations. 45,000? For a Big XII Conference? It's like we are rebuilding our Conference with some Schools that think they have won a Conference Championship because they finally beat you once. The Big XII doesn't have the "Any Given Saturday" kind of clout that most of the SEC Teams of last year had. We can kind of make light of the SEC by them allowing in TAMU and Mizzou as Teams with Clout. TAMU does at least have a pretty good size Stadium that fits the SEC Profile as far as Schools are concerned. Now all TAMU needs to do is what they couldn't in the Big XII....win. Missou? I'm still laughing because until they can prove they can consistently be a .500 Team in the SEC, I'm not going to believe they should have ever left the Big XII but...they have. I wish them luck as IMO, they are going to need more than luck if they are going to have an impact on the SEC.

Sabansballs deal about those two Teams Long Term Outcome.....it's really more that it's possible they will someday recruit some kid that just makes them better. It happens in sports, but what we are talking about is two schools that are excited about going into the SEC and tearing them a new a$$hole next year. I think they are both going to get hammered and get hammered for a long long time. Mizzou will have it happen for decades.

MamaMia
3/16/2012, 03:37 PM
So you have it being done twice and the SEC Folks do it constantly on a daily Basis?

Thats simply the 2 times the two of us know about off the tops of our heads. I'm sure there have been more, but other than this once from Missouri, I don't know of any other times I have heard an SEC chant. I doubt very seriously that its done very often. I don't buy in to all the SEC media hype; like the hype that kept oSu's football team from playing in the National Championship game this year instead of Alabama.

champions77
3/16/2012, 04:08 PM
Wrong actually. It was loudly and repeatedly chanted during the 3rd and 4th quarters of the Rose bowl we won against Washington State on 1/1/03.

Crawl back into my hole? Why because I think it is silly to beat up Mizzou and A&M for leaving a conference that was teetering on extinction six months ago? A conference that OU would have left too if it not for the PAC 12 backing off at the last minute. A Conference that even to this day, people question it's long term viability.

Chanting BIG XII at the Rose Bowl? I was there and do not recall hearing that. The posts that precede me would make me believe that didn't happen.

MamaMia
3/16/2012, 04:24 PM
Crawl back into my hole? Why because I think it is silly to beat up Mizzou and A&M for leaving a conference that was teetering on extinction six months ago? A conference that OU would have left too if it not for the PAC 12 backing off at the last minute. A Conference that even to this day, people question it's long term viability.

Chanting BIG XII at the Rose Bowl? I was there and do not recall hearing that. The posts that precede me would make me believe that didn't happen. If you were there, you would have heard it. I was there, right on the 50 yard line sitting behind the Rose Bowl queens and officials. If you were there, then tell me what else all of the Sooner fans chanted at the final 2 minutes of the game, because there is no way in hell you could have forgotten that?

champions77
3/16/2012, 04:36 PM
If you were there, you would have heard it. I was there, right on the 50 yard line sitting behind the Rose Bowl queens and officials. If you were there, then tell me what else all of the Sooner fans chanted at the final 2 minutes of the game, because there is no way in hell you could have forgotten that?

Boomer Sooner?

And I was there. I doubt anyone else besides you could remember either. That makes you real special.

MamaMia
3/16/2012, 04:50 PM
Boomer Sooner?

And I was there. I doubt anyone else besides you could remember either. That makes you real special.Special? No. Honest? Yes. They were chanting Nate-Hyble non stop for the whole last two minutes of the game. Before that several times in the second half the OU fans chanted Go Big 12.

EatLeadCommie
3/16/2012, 05:53 PM
hahahahahahahahahaha. Mizzou loses. SEC indeed.

SoonerorLater
3/16/2012, 05:54 PM
SEC, SEC, SEC......yuk, yuk,,,,,see ya

PrideTrombone
3/16/2012, 05:55 PM
They're already playing basketball like an SEC team. Good job, Mizzou. :)

8timechamps
3/16/2012, 05:56 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

SEC! SEC! SEC!!!

TahoeSOONER
3/16/2012, 06:01 PM
Miz...karma

TheHumanAlphabet
3/16/2012, 06:21 PM
Just landed in Narita after an overnight flight from Jakarta.

86-84! SEC! Excellent! Thought of this thread immediately.

Screw Mizzou!!

Chuck Bao
3/16/2012, 06:28 PM
I don't care that I had them in the final four. They died, dead, done. Heh! When I was reading on the internet about it, I started hearing Buddhist monks chanting at 6am this morning and I immediately thought about karma.

budbarrybob
3/16/2012, 06:38 PM
nyuk nyuk nyuk :D

JLMSOONER
3/16/2012, 06:54 PM
The folks here in St. Louis were pissed when they only got a 2 seed. DOH!!!!

EatLeadCommie
3/16/2012, 07:02 PM
The folks here in St. Louis were pissed when they only got a 2 seed. DOH!!!!
Well, logically they wanted them to have a better shot at advancing to the 2nd round.

Scott D
3/16/2012, 07:18 PM

Chanting BIG XII at the Rose Bowl? I was there and do not recall hearing that. The posts that precede me would make me believe that didn't happen.

I'm not beating them up, I frankly don't GAS unlike the OP who apparently jizzed in his jorts about it

olevetonahill
3/16/2012, 07:25 PM
I'm not beating them up, I frankly don't GAS unlike the OP who apparently jizzed in his jorts about it
I agree Bro. I dont care one bit what Miz. Nor Baylor does.

StoopTroup
3/16/2012, 07:39 PM
I could give to farts about Miz, TAMU, Nebraska and especially Colorado.

That said....I do care about Baylor. It's way past the time they quit embarrassing the Big XII. I think it's great they want to finally build on the little bit of success their football team experienced last year but I also think that if they wanted to be relevant in the Big XII and have any respect they should have been trying to do it before they actually started winning games as it's not something I think they will continue to do. That said...I think they should be put on notice that they should be giving Teams a better product all of the time....not just when they recruit one player that might actually make an NFL Roster.

As far as the Chants of SEC are concerned.....some folks evidently don't read this board. There have been folks complaining about the SEC thinking that they are the best Conference and chants about it have gone on for at least the last 5 years on this board. There are plenty of "I'm sick of this SEC BS" threads on SFs.

OUTrumpet
3/16/2012, 07:41 PM
Well, logically they wanted them to have a better shot at advancing to the 2nd round.

If they would have come up against that team that played Syracuse, there is a good possibility they would have been the first #1 seed to lose to a 16.

OU_Sooners75
3/16/2012, 08:19 PM
Were they chanting SEC! SEC! SEC! when 15 seed, Norfolk State, beat them in the first round of the NCAA tourney?

olevetonahill
3/16/2012, 08:31 PM
Were they chanting SEC! SEC! SEC! when 15 seed, Norfolk State, beat them in the first round of the NCAA tourney?

Heh.

JiuJitsuSooner
3/16/2012, 08:34 PM
Florida, Georgia, & Vanderbilt (for example) are very very good schools academically speaking.. Never understood this reasoning of not going to the sec because of Academics

SoonerSpock
3/16/2012, 09:09 PM
I could give to farts about Miz, TAMU, Nebraska and especially Colorado.

That said....I do care about Baylor. It's way past the time they quit embarrassing the Big XII. I think it's great they want to finally build on the little bit of success their football team experienced last year but I also think that if they wanted to be relevant in the Big XII and have any respect they should have been trying to do it before they actually started winning games as it's not something I think they will continue to do. That said...I think they should be put on notice that they should be giving Teams a better product all of the time....not just when they recruit one player that might actually make an NFL Roster.

As far as the Chants of SEC are concerned.....some folks evidently don't read this board. There have been folks complaining about the SEC thinking that they are the best Conference and chants about it have gone on for at least the last 5 years on this board. There are plenty of "I'm sick of this SEC BS" threads on SFs.

Perhaps Mizzou was chanting SEC, SEC, SEC at the conference basketball tournament because of their excitement going to a less competitive conference in all sports. Their basketball championship in all sports since the advent of the Big 12 conference was only their 10th championship leading only KSU in the conference.

Baylor on the other hand has won more conference championships in the Big 12 than has OU (42 vs 39) to place 3rd in the conference behind only Texas and aTm. OU does have more championships if you count divisional football championships but division championships are not conference championships.

Conference championsMain article: List of Big 12 Conference champions
The Big 12 Conference sponsors 23 sports, 10 men's and 13 women's.[117]

In football, divisional titles were awarded based on regular-season conference results, with the teams with the best conference records from the North and South playing the in the Big 12 Championship Game for the Big 12 title from 1996-2010. Baseball, basketball, softball, tennis, and women's soccer titles are awarded in both regular-season and tournament play. Cross country, golf, gymnastics, swimming and diving, track and field, and wrestling titles are awarded during an annual meet of participating teams. The volleyball title is awarded based on regular-season play.[citation needed]

[edit] Big 12 Conference titles by schoolAs of June 1, 2011. List includes both regular-season, tournament titles, and co-championships. List does not include conference championships won prior to the formation of the Big 12 Conference in 1996.[118]

[edit] Current membersTexas - 114 (121 including 7 football division championships)[118]
Texas A&M - 53 (55 including 2 football division championships)[118]
Oklahoma - 39 (47 including 8 football division championships)[118]
Oklahoma State - 43 (42 including 1 football division championship)[118]
Baylor - 42[118]
Kansas - 24 (25 including 1 football division championship)[118]
Iowa State - 12 (13 including 1 football division championship)[118]
Texas Tech - 11 (12 including 1 football division championship)[118]
Missouri - 9 (12 including 3 football division championships)[118]
Kansas State - 7 (11 including 4 football division championships)[118]
[edit] Former membersNebraska - 72 (80 including 8 football division championships)[118]
Colorado - 27 (31 including 4 football division championships)[118]

Jacie
3/16/2012, 09:37 PM
Missouri has forever been my early exit special when filling out my tournament bracket and they rarely disappoint . . .

I told you guys last week . . .

Sabanball
3/16/2012, 10:35 PM
Florida, Georgia, & Vanderbilt (for example) are very very good schools academically speaking.. Never understood this reasoning of not going to the sec because of Academics

Try telling that to David Boren. He seems to think you guys are the Harvard of the lower Midwest.

Actually, I think the whole 'academics' thing was a smokescreen. Boren, to me, seems to have some political affinity for the West Coast schools despite the fact that your state and fan base, which ultimately pays the bills, preferred OVERWHELMINGLY to join the SEC. Forgive me one political analogy, but for a state that did not have one single county that went for Obama in the last election, it will always be a mystery to me why you guys tolerate this long time democrat as president of your great institution. He's clearly out of touch, in more ways than one. JMHO....

thecrimsoncrusader
3/17/2012, 12:09 AM
Missouri has a bad coach with talent that has made him look good. He'll lose that talent soon and be gone in 2 or 3 years.

yermom
3/17/2012, 12:52 AM
I told you guys last week . . .

how bad does the Big 12 suck this year??

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/17/2012, 01:12 AM
Try telling that to David Boren. He seems to think you guys are the Harvard of the lower Midwest.

Actually, I think the whole 'academics' thing was a smokescreen. Boren, to me, seems to have some political affinity for the West Coast schools... ...Forgive me one political analogy, but for a state that did not have one single county that went for Obama in the last election, it will always be a mystery to me why you guys tolerate this long time democrat as president of your great institution. He's clearly out of touch, in more ways than one. JMHO....OK, Sabanball, maybe your best post EVAR!

LASooner
3/17/2012, 01:26 AM
Well you've really done your new conference proud by blowing it against a 15th seed. Enjoy competing for last with Vanderbilt you booger eating morons!

Soonerus
3/17/2012, 01:30 AM
Well you've really done your new conference proud by blowing it against a 15th seed. Enjoy competing for last with Vanderbilt you booger eating morons!

Agreed !!!

EatLeadCommie
3/17/2012, 01:51 AM
how bad does the Big 12 suck this year??
Not nearly as bad as the ACC.

BXII has actually done very well other than Mizzou, which is now in the SEC so we can write them off. Texas got beat but that was expected.

MamaMia
3/17/2012, 02:54 AM
We are a new conference now. We don't have Texas A&M, Missouri, Colorado or Nebraska any longer, however we do have TCU and West Virginia coming in; two teams who not so long ago, beat us at home and the latter...at the Fiesta Bowl. Lets wait to see how they're going to fare, especially against non conference teams, before we start hating on our own conference.

SoonerorLater
3/17/2012, 09:11 AM

They probably are pretty good but if you look at the ratings of the top universities you will find that among DIV I football schools the list is disproportionately filled with PAC 12 schools. As a matter of fact I think Cal-Berkeley is the highest rated public school in the country. Followed pretty close by UCLA. Stanford and USC are on everybody's list of top schools. The SEC has one school in that strata, Vanderbilt. My take is Boren would like to see OU move in the direction of PAC 12 education-wise. While I agree with his enthusiasm for improving OU I think it's unrealistic to base OU academics after the public universities of a mega-large state like California (remember California is also worse than dead broke) Hate to say it but Boren is a bit of an elitist when it comes to education (his background) Truth is there isn't much of a difference academically top to bottom between the Big 12 and the SEC. I think Boren just saw this as an opportunity to be associated with the upper crust of academia.

yermom
3/17/2012, 10:19 AM
Not nearly as bad as the ACC.

BXII has actually done very well other than Mizzou, which is now in the SEC so we can write them off. Texas got beat but that was expected.

i just mean watching the tournament champ lose to a 15 seed is kinda sad

Duke bailed them out a little bit though :biggrin:

sooneredaco
3/17/2012, 10:39 AM
MEAC! MEAC! MEAC!

MyT Oklahoma
3/17/2012, 12:55 PM
Yeah I was thinking about this as I listened to Mizzou trip over their dicks yesterday in the first round of the big dance.

Life is tough when you suck and no one knows suck better than MU.

picasso
3/17/2012, 11:43 PM
Screw Missouri and those ugly *** uniforms. The show it to me state.

PrideTrombone
3/18/2012, 09:20 AM
Anyone who doesn't think Boren has done a good job has no idea what the condition of the campus was when he took over in 1994. Sabanball, you obviously don't because you're an Alabama fan, but in that case try to refrain from acting like you know anything.

85sooners
3/18/2012, 10:01 AM
Anyone who doesn't think Boren has done a good job has no idea what the condition of the campus was when he took over in 1994. Sabanball, you obviously don't because you're an Alabama fan, but in that case try to refrain from acting like you know anything.:hurt:

Sabanball
3/18/2012, 10:56 AM
OK, Sabanball, maybe your best post EVAR!

Now THAT'S a compliment coming from you!

Sabanball
3/18/2012, 11:02 AM
Anyone who doesn't think Boren has done a good job has no idea what the condition of the campus was when he took over in 1994. Sabanball, you obviously don't because you're an Alabama fan, but in that case try to refrain from acting like you know anything.

I never said he has not done a good job, I just will never understand his recent decisions regarding conference realignment--given the opportunities that he had and the fragility of your existing conference. Culturally, geographically, politically, and otherwise, OU as an institution was just as good of a fit for the SEC as Missouri or TAMU ever was, yet he walked away from the table in an apparent attempt at the time to align with the West Coast schools--who then promptly said they were not open to expansion. Sorry, just will never make sense to me....

sozo
3/18/2012, 12:00 PM
You missed my point entirely. SEC fans chant "SEC, SEC, SEC" because the majority of them can't chant their school (because the majority of them have done nothing of note). My point was that you don't hear, say, the ACC "fans" chanting "ACC, ACC, ACC" in basketball (and they arguably have the most prestigious basketball conference)....and why don't they do that? Because most people realize it's stupid.

There's conference pride, then there's "my favorite team really sucks or is mediocre, so I'll chant for my conference". The later is what most SEC "fans" do.

As for the Big XII, I'm fine with where it is. I don't need to hope for it to become something else.

And just be honest with yourself, Missouri fans chanted "SEC, SEC, SEC" to take a swipe at the Big XII. As I said in my earlier post, even the SEC poster on this board realized that (see the original post).

I'll stick with cheering (chanting?) for the Sooners in every sport, and if you want to start a Big XII chant, go for it. Just don't expect many people to join. Because most people realize how goofy it is.Very good.That is for the bottom feeders and Arkansas is the worst.You go to talking about comparing OU and Arky and they ALWAYS bring up the best conference thing,which it is now but subject to change....soon.

picasso
3/18/2012, 08:13 PM
I never said he has not done a good job, I just will never understand his recent decisions regarding conference realignment--given the opportunities that he had and the fragility of your existing conference. Culturally, geographically, politically, and otherwise, OU as an institution was just as good of a fit for the SEC as Missouri or TAMU ever was, yet he walked away from the table in an apparent attempt at the time to align with the West Coast schools--who then promptly said they were not open to expansion. Sorry, just will never make sense to me....
Anyone running this school would be an idiot to join the SEC.

OU_Sooners75
3/18/2012, 08:30 PM

I wonder if the reason he walked away from the $EC is because of what he seems to have attached to his *** like a tumor (OSU)?

He was not willing to make a move without OSU tagging along....and as far as I know and have heard, SEC didn't want anything to do with OSU.

champions77
3/19/2012, 12:23 PM

+1 When the very best and most respected conference in America comes calling, especially in view of the fragility of the BIG XII at that time, and you immediately decline, voicing some silly thing about caring about osu, yes it is not only disappointing, but also to a degree unexplainable.

3/19/2012, 03:21 PM
Now THAT'S a compliment coming from you!Boren has done some good things for OU, I will readily admit, but 2 things he's done that royally chap my a*s are tying OU up with the orange aggy for virtually ANY matter. He's no longer senator of the state, but pres. of OU, fergodssakes. Also, the way he kept Jack Spates on as wrestling coach for WAY too many yrs was/is inexcusable.

3/19/2012, 03:25 PM
I wonder if the reason he walked away from the $EC is because of what he seems to have attached to his *** like a tumor (OSU)?

He was not willing to make a move without OSU tagging along....and as far as I know and have heard, SEC didn't want anything to do with OSU.I'm plenty tired of OU being joined at the hip with State Ewe. We are letting ourselves be dragged down by their orange power.

3/19/2012, 03:27 PM
+1 When the very best and most respected conference in America comes calling, especially in view of the fragility of the BIG XII at that time, and you immediately decline, voicing some silly thing about caring about osu, yes it is not only disappointing, but also to a degree unexplainable.How did you get all that orange/red color? Political posts?

champions77
3/19/2012, 03:54 PM
How did you get all that orange/red color? Political posts?

I have no idea what that is. I do go over there occasionally, but the lefties do tend to disrupt my BP.

I Am Right
3/19/2012, 05:58 PM
MO, worst fans in Big-12, KSU next

sooneredaco
3/19/2012, 06:13 PM

My vote is Mizzery tied for 1st with the Lassie boys as worst Big 12 fans.

Good riddance

LASooner
3/19/2012, 06:36 PM
My vote is Mizzery tied for 1st with the Lassie boys as worst Big 12 fans.

Good riddance

Now they're only the 5th and 6th worst in the SEC

3/19/2012, 06:40 PM
Now they're only the 5th and 6th worst in the SECThe TIGAHBAITS are kinda "special", aren't they?

LASooner
3/19/2012, 06:43 PM
Their coach drives a short bus to work

OU_Sooners75
3/19/2012, 07:14 PM
I'm plenty tired of OU being joined at the hip with State Ewe. We are letting ourselves be dragged down by their orange power.

Boren and OU really has no choice in the matter.

OU_Sooners75
3/19/2012, 07:15 PM
How did you get all that orange/red color? Political posts?

:barbershop_quartet_

champions77
3/19/2012, 07:26 PM

Wouldn't you have to put the morons from Stoolwater up there? Their inquenchable thirst to hate anything crimson makes them routinly do bizarre things only the Pukes could dream up, much less actually do. Like tearing down the goalposts in 2002 and then trying to thrust an upright into the section where the OU band was sitting. After being turned away, they then marched the upright up the top of the stands where they had designs of throwing it onto the crowd below. That same year, after the game, I was followed by a group of about 6 pukes about three blocks, screaming obscenities all the way to my truck.

Damn I was hoping we would go to the SEC and leave their sorry arses behind. Let them die in the Missouri Valley.

3/19/2012, 07:29 PM
Boren and OU really has no choice in the matter.A political decision? Pls. elaborate, if more than conjecture.

Scott D
3/19/2012, 09:34 PM
Wouldn't you have to put the morons from Stoolwater up there? Their inquenchable thirst to hate anything crimson makes them routinly do bizarre things only the Pukes could dream up, much less actually do. Like tearing down the goalposts in 2002 and then trying to thrust an upright into the section where the OU band was sitting. After being turned away, they then marched the upright up the top of the stands where they had designs of throwing it onto the crowd below. That same year, after the game, I was followed by a group of about 6 pukes about three blocks, screaming obscenities all the way to my truck.

Damn I was hoping we would go to the SEC and leave their sorry arses behind. Let them die in the Missouri Valley.

Hating them only validates them. It's easier to just act like how it is, the annoying little brother your parents make you drag everywhere with you because they think you and your friends will do nothing but get into trouble on your own.

Scott D
3/19/2012, 09:35 PM
A political decision? Pls. elaborate, if more than conjecture.

Stillwater has a little more political sway than they probably should have in a perfect world.

StoopTroup
3/20/2012, 12:48 AM

+10,000

3/20/2012, 01:05 AM
Stillwater has a little more political sway than they probably should have in a perfect world.That is prolly true, but needn't be. Where is it written that both schools have to be in the same conference?

StoopTroup
3/20/2012, 01:26 AM
That is prolly true, but needn't be. Where is it written that both schools have to be in the same conference?

A sheepskin?

CincySooner
3/20/2012, 11:36 AM
Like tearing down the goalposts in 2002 and then trying to thrust an upright into the section where the OU band was sitting. After being turned away, they then marched the upright up the top of the stands where they had designs of throwing it onto the crowd below.

Actually, that was 1998. One of the band members got hit in the head with that goal post.

OU_Sooners75
3/20/2012, 02:13 PM
A political decision? Pls. elaborate, if more than conjecture.

At this point it is only conjecture...however, our Governor and most likely Legislature would not allow OU to move and leave OSU behind to pick up the scraps of a crappy conference.

Oklahoma: First year of Football: 1895
Conference Affiliations:
1901-1913 independent
1914-1919 Oklahoma Intercollegiate Conference
1915-1919 Southwest Conference
1920-1927 Missouri Valley Conference
1928-1995 Big Eight Conference
1996-Present Big 12 Conference

Oklahoma State: First year of football: 1901
Conference Affiliations:
1901-1913 independent
1914-1920 Oklahoma Intercollegiate Conference
1915-1924 Southwest Conference
1925-1956 Missouri Valley Confernece
1957-1959 Independent
1960-1995 Big Eight Confernece
1996-Present Big 12 Conference

By these numbers, OU and OSU have been joined at the hip for 61 seasons out of a possible 111 seasons or for roughly 55% of the time when both schools has played football.

OU_Sooners75
3/20/2012, 02:15 PM
That is prolly true, but needn't be. Where is it written that both schools have to be in the same conference?

It isn't written anywhere. It is a political move in most cases. If the state government at the time doesn't think it would be good for the other, then they are not going to allow one to move without the other.

And IMHO, like it or not, it is good for OU and OSU to have each other in the same conference.

3/20/2012, 03:05 PM
It isn't written anywhere. It is a political move in most cases. If the state government at the time doesn't think it would be good for the other, then they are not going to allow one to move without the other.

And IMHO, like it or not, it is good for OU and OSU to have each other in the same conference.The point is, OU and orange aggy are rivals, not teammates, and SHOULD be more autonomous. I dislike using the state of tx for comparison, but I DO like the fact that the schools down there are NOT joined at the hip.

I'm not convinced it is good for the 2 schools to be in the same conference when the inclusion of OSU with us in any realignment pkg can prevent us from doing what we want.

Scott D
3/20/2012, 03:57 PM
The point is, OU and orange aggy are rivals, not teammates, and SHOULD be more autonomous. I dislike using the state of tx for comparison, but I DO like the fact that the schools down there are NOT joined at the hip.

I'm not convinced it is good for the 2 schools to be in the same conference when the inclusion of OSU with us in any realignment pkg can prevent us from doing what we want.

well depending on which version you believe, the package deal that joined the Big-8 from the SWC was politically inclined, hence why allegedly Tech and Baylor were in, and Houston was out.

champions77
3/20/2012, 04:15 PM
The point is, OU and orange aggy are rivals, not teammates, and SHOULD be more autonomous. I dislike using the state of tx for comparison, but I DO like the fact that the schools down there are NOT joined at the hip.

+ 1 Well Iowa State is not in the same conference as Iowa, Georgia is not in the same conference as Georgia Tech, nor Clemson in the same conference as South Carolina, and all seem to be doing just fine.

When, regarding Conference realignment, President Boren made the statement about how he was going to act in the best interest of the University of Oklahoma, but in the next breath said that OU and Oklahoma State would stay together, has to be one of more illogical things I have ever heard him say. Obviously what opportunities are afforded the University of Oklahoma, may not be an option for osu. The SEC opportunity we passed on comes to mind. There may be others later on. We have been playing Championship football for over 70 years, and that will open doors for you that others will not have.

3/20/2012, 07:08 PM
+ 1 Well Iowa State is not in the same conference as Iowa, Georgia is not in the same conference as Georgia Tech, nor Clemson in the same conference as South Carolina, and all seem to be doing just fine.

When, regarding Conference realignment, President Boren made the statement about how he was going to act in the best interest of the University of Oklahoma, but in the next breath said that OU and Oklahoma State would stay together, has to be one of more illogical things I have ever heard him say. Obviously what opportunities are afforded the University of Oklahoma, may not be an option for osu. The SEC opportunity we passed on comes to mind. There may be others later on. We have been playing Championship football for over 70 years, and that will open doors for you that others will not have.Unless Boren was threatened by someone in state of OK government, his insistence that OA be included with OU was a bad decision, IMHO.

OU_Sooners75
3/20/2012, 08:47 PM
Unless Boren was threatened by someone in state of OK government, his insistence that OA be included with OU was a bad decision, IMHO.

Why?

Please tell me why?

It isn't like OSU is an unattractive commodity in the sports world.

Texas didnt want to budge on their LHN...this is the reason why OU and OSU didn't get in.

PAC wanted OSU, OU, Texas, and Tech to come along....not just OU and OSU...Hell, I would venture to say Texas and Tech were more interesting to them than OU and OSU simply because they were wanting a bigger TV contract....OU and OSU cannot give that.

OU_Sooners75
3/20/2012, 08:50 PM
And as far as Boren goes...he has cake on his face in all of this.

The guy did wonders for the University upgrading facilities and the campus...but he should have just remained quite in all of this.

8timechamps
3/20/2012, 09:41 PM
Why?

Please tell me why?

Texas didnt want to budge on their LHN...this is the reason why OU and OSU didn't get in.

PAC wanted OSU, OU, Texas, and Tech to come along....not just OU and OSU...Hell, I would venture to say Texas and Tech were more interesting to them than OU and OSU simply because they were wanting a bigger TV contract....OU and OSU cannot give that.

I don't get the 'joined at the hip' thing any way you look at it. So, my question is why should we bring OSU along?

The truth is, the PAC wanted OU and Texas. If OSU and Tech were coming along, fine, but it wasn't an offer for OU and OSU. The PAC wasn't going to take OU without Texas, or Texas without OU.

3/21/2012, 12:35 AM
Why?

Please tell me why?

PAC wanted OSU, OU, Texas, and Tech to come along....not just OU and OSU...Hell, I would venture to say Texas and Tech were more interesting to them than OU and OSU simply because they were wanting a bigger TV contract....OU and OSU cannot give that.OSU is not OU's brother. It is a rival. If Pac 10 wanted OU and not OSU, and we wanted to go there, I say sayonara, sheep humps. Same with SEC, if they wanted us and we wanted them, that's all that is necessary for a move.

Sheepers are #2 on my pecking order, anyway. They are a nuisance we have to deal with because of proximity, and it would help recruiting if they were in the Sunbelt or South Central conference, or something other than where we reside.

champions77
3/21/2012, 12:41 PM
OSU is not OU's brother. It is a rival. If Pac 10 wanted OU and not OSU, and we wanted to go there, I say sayonara, sheep humps. Same with SEC, if they wanted us and we wanted them, that's all that is necessary for a move.

Sheepers are #2 on my pecking order, anyway. They are a nuisance we have to deal with because of proximity, and it would help recruiting if they were in the Sunbelt or South Central conference, or something other than where we reside.

Maybe some of these osu apologists on here need to go over and spend a few minutes on GoPokes.com and see the vitriole, hate and contempt they have for us.

When I moved here from Houston I told friends that the three things I dislike about Oklahoma is the wind, the State income taxes and the osu, and not necessarily in that order.

As to Boren, the only thing I can figure out about his lovefest for osu is that maybe he is considering running for political office again. That would explain it.

3/21/2012, 12:58 PM
When I moved here from Houston I told friends that the three things I dislike about Oklahoma is the wind, the State income taxes and the osu, and not necessarily in that order.
That's sig material, there.

8timechamps
3/21/2012, 01:49 PM
Maybe some of these osu apologists on here need to go over and spend a few minutes on GoPokes.com and see the vitriole, hate and contempt they have for us.

As to Boren, the only thing I can figure out about his lovefest for osu is that maybe he is considering running for political office again. That would explain it.

Don't you think it's hard for a politician to remove himself from the politician mentality? That would explain why he seems to link OU with OSU. I can't think of any other reason.

3/21/2012, 02:07 PM
Don't you think it's hard for a politician to remove himself from the politician mentality? That would explain why he seems to link OU with OSU. I can't think of any other reason.It might be that simple. Protecting lOSUr. He should get off that horse, as pres of OU. I don't believe they would treat us as graciously(and, to our detriment), if circumstances were reversed.

champions77
3/21/2012, 02:22 PM
It might be that simple. Protecting lOSUr. He should get off that horse, as pres of OU. I don't believe they would treat us as graciously(and, to our detriment), if circumstances were reversed.

There is no doubt about that. If I recall correctly, when the Osteopathic School in Tulsa was up for grabs some 15-20 years ago, some Aggie legislatures basically pulled off a coup in stealing the school for osu. With OU already having a Medical School, it would have only been natural for OU to have the school, not some school struggling to maintain their average Vet school.

3/21/2012, 02:50 PM
Why do you suppose Boren kept jack spates on for so long as wrestling coach? Were they good buddies?

OU_Sooners75
3/21/2012, 06:24 PM
OSU is not OU's brother. It is a rival. If Pac 10 wanted OU and not OSU, and we wanted to go there, I say sayonara, sheep humps. Same with SEC, if they wanted us and we wanted them, that's all that is necessary for a move.

Here is some sad reality for you and anyone else that thought the PAC wanted OU and not OSU.

Had OU tried to go alone to the PAC, they still would not have gotten in. Larry Scott wanted OU, but the PAC does not just add one team.

So, the PAC may have wanted OU, but they wanted Texas more. And they wanted to add Texas and OU at the same time....this is of course if Texas would have done away with their LHN.

And had Texas decided to do away with the LHN in order to get to the PAC, the PAC would have brought in OU, OSU, Tech, and Texas.

Sad but true.

OU was never going to get into the PAC without Texas.

OU_Sooners75
3/21/2012, 06:25 PM
Why do you suppose Boren kept jack spates on for so long as wrestling coach? Were they good buddies?

That I cannot tell you. But I can tell you Spates is/was not a very good HC for OU!

3/21/2012, 06:53 PM
OU was never going to get into the PAC without Texas.I was talking hypothetically concerning the Pac 10. We just shouldn't insist that OSU come with us if a conference wants OU, and maybe not OSU. Someone said OU was invited by the SEC, but not OSU. I'm not certain how that went down, but if true, and we wanted to go to the SEC, but we insisted OA come with us, then that's bad business on Boren's part.

3/21/2012, 06:57 PM
That I cannot tell you. But I can tell you Spates is/was not a very good HC for OU!He would be roughly the football equivalent of having Mack Brown as HC for all those years, but without any recruiting advantages like Mack has.

OU_Sooners75
3/21/2012, 08:17 PM
He would be roughly the football equivalent of having Mack Brown as HC for all those years, but without any recruiting advantages like Mack has.

I would say more like a Frank Solich when he took over at Nebraska. Had something good handed to him and could maintain it or even improve it.

Spates knows wrestling, but he is not a very good head coach.

3/21/2012, 08:35 PM
I would say more like a Frank Solich when he took over at Nebraska. Had something good handed to him and could maintain it or even improve it.

Spates knows wrestling, but he is not a very good head coach.Doctor Tom had the savvy to let Solich go. Boren re Spates, not so much. If I was head honcho at the cows, I would replace Happy Clappy, as well. ANY coach could recruit well at the Cows.

soonerhubs
3/21/2012, 08:43 PM

Spates knows wrestling, but he is not a very good head coach.Doctor Tom had the savvy to let Solich go. Boren re Spates, not so much. If I was head honcho at the cows, I would replace Happy Clappy, as well. ANY coach could recruit well at the Cows.

Didn't Pederson let solich go?

3/21/2012, 11:36 PM
Didn't Pederson let solich go?I think so. I didn't hear what role Dr Tom had regarding hiring & firing. One of those genius bugeaters then hired Callahan, instead of Pelini, haha.

Salt City Sooner
3/22/2012, 03:15 AM
Pederson did both. Remember this little gem?

"I refuse to let this program gravitate to mediocrity," Steve Pederson, Nebraska's first-year athletic director, said during the news conference to announce Solich's firing. "We will not surrender the Big 12 Conference to Oklahoma and Texas."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-12-14/sports/0312140196_1_nebraska-jerseys-cornhuskers-frank-solich

TUSooner
3/22/2012, 08:16 AM
Just curious because I never heard: What were they chanting after getting knocked off by mighty Norfolk State in the 1st round?

nativesooner
3/23/2012, 01:50 PM
Just curious because I never heard: What were they chanting after getting knocked off by mighty Norfolk State in the 1st round?

They were chanting WTF!!! WTF!!! WTF!!! WTF!!

MamaMia
3/23/2012, 07:25 PM
Very simply put, it wouldn't bother me any not to be in the same conference as oSu, and if we ever got a sweet deal to leave, I certainly don't think anything should be able to stand in our way. Screw oSu. They don't have the appeal, the glitz, the glamor and tradition OU has. Let them fend for themselves.

3/24/2012, 01:31 AM
Somebody please forward the URL for this thread to Boren's personal email address. Kthnx.

yermom
3/24/2012, 01:40 AM
He doesn't read it anyway...

3/24/2012, 03:41 AM
He doesn't read it anyway...Won't he answer you when you email him?

yermom
3/24/2012, 10:10 AM
unless something has changed, he has people that get that email for him.

champions77
3/26/2012, 11:00 AM
Very simply put, it wouldn't bother me any not to be in the same conference as oSu, and if we ever got a sweet deal to leave, I certainly don't think anything should be able to stand in our way. Screw oSu. They don't have the appeal, the glitz, the glamor and tradition OU has. Let them fend for themselves.

+1 Boren contradicted himself when he stated last fall that he was going to act in the best interest of the University of Oklahoma, but then in the next sentence stated that whatever we do, we would do with Oklahoma State University. For being a Rhodes Scholar, not a real smart thing to say. Why? Because opportunities afforded OU, may not be afforded osu. So in staying with osu, we may very well be passing on better opportunities for OU. I don't know why that is so hard for Boren to comprehend.

Again, since it has become clear that President Boren played a big role on Mizzou going to the SEC, I am calling out the local media for not doing an article on this. When you think of it, it is pretty big stuff. For those that do not know what I am referring to, recently Missouri Chancellor Brady Deaton was quoted in an article stating that when Boren came out with all the false bravado, about how much interest other conferences have in OU, and that we would not be a "Wallflower" to anyone, Deaton seeing that OU's move to the PAC 12 was imminent, and knowing that if that happened, Mizzou, K-Sate, KU and Iowa State would be screwed, Mizzou then stepped up talks with the SEC, and the rest is history.

StoopTroup
3/26/2012, 02:03 PM
Mizzou had every chance in the World to slow down a bit and talk sense into their folks who were upset after Boren (a Politician) tried to get the Big XII to come together by threatening a move to the Pac12.

After they put in a Commisioner that was going to help the Big XII instead of destroy it, Boren tried to talk Mizzou out of leaving. One problem Mizzou had was that if Boren used Joe Castiglione to help convince them not to leave, it was probably just more incentive to give the Big XII the finger like they did. TAMU felt the same way about Fexas.

In the end both MU and TAMU have made some seriously bad and emotional decisions to leave for the SEC.

champions77
3/26/2012, 03:58 PM
Mizzou had every chance in the World to slow down a bit and talk sense into their folks who were upset after Boren (a Politician) tried to get the Big XII to come together by threatening a move to the Pac12.

After they put in a Commisioner that was going to help the Big XII instead of destroy it, Boren tried to talk Mizzou out of leaving. One problem Mizzou had was that if Boren used Joe Castiglione to help convince them not to leave, it was probably just more incentive to give the Big XII the finger like they did. TAMU felt the same way about Fexas.

In the end both MU and TAMU have made some seriously bad and emotional decisions to leave for the SEC.

Get the Big XII to come together by threatening a move to the PAC 12? I think that is a stretch to believe that. If that was Boren's intent, then that looks bad too because it obviously backfired on him with Mizzou leaving. I really believe that Boren wanted to go to the PAC 12, and was led to believe that they would take OU and osu without Texas. We all know that when the PAC 12 set down with Texas, they told texas that the Longhorn Network, in it's present form, would not work, and that was the end of that. Boren in trying to convince Mizzou not leave, if in fact that happened, was probably trying to salvage things that he felt were due to some of his doings.

Who knows exactly what Mizzou was thinking. After all, they got rejected by the Big 10, and so they were not going to get left behind again might have been some of their motivation.

8timechamps
3/26/2012, 08:13 PM
Don't ya think it's time to let the bad feelings go? Clearly, the current members of the Big XII are looking toward the future (long term). We have, at the very least, the second best football conference in the country (and arguably the best from top to bottom), and a solid bball conference (and I think WVU will take Mizzou's spot nicely).

Whether we like it, or not...whether we wanted it to happen, or not...the Big XII didn't fold, and OU didn't leave.

As for Mizzou, all I can say is that they made a great decision from a financial standpoint (for the university), and a horrible decision for their fans in the long-run. Once the honeymoon ends, they will be lumped in with Ole Miss and Kentucky in the SEC. But, at least they'll have full pockets...which will mean pretty much nothing to the fans.

3/26/2012, 08:21 PM
Well said! in #153 and 154!!! Now, let's go spin orange aggy outa the conference.