PDA

View Full Version : City Livin, How in hell can Those folks stand it ?

olevetonahill
3/10/2012, 07:44 PM
Id go Nuttier than squirrel crap if I had to live in a Big city and never get out in the country

For the Price of one of these I could Buy a Lot more Land .

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/urban-houses-up-for-sale-in-downtown-tulsa

olevetonahill
3/10/2012, 07:45 PM
Not to mention those New York City focktards :single_eye:

cleller
3/10/2012, 08:57 PM
My uncle lived in a refrigerator box in downtown Jackson, MS. I hated going there for Thanksgiving.

OULenexaman
3/10/2012, 09:17 PM
dats cheap compared to the **** I saw in Chicago......which is why I never bought anything.

jk the sooner fan
3/10/2012, 09:57 PM
be thankful

if everybody lived in the sticks - the sticks would be the "big city" ;)

olevetonahill
3/10/2012, 10:04 PM
be thankful

if everybody lived in the sticks - the sticks would be the "big city" ;)

IF everyone lived in the Sticks then Id be in the City

yermom
3/10/2012, 10:33 PM
Who the hell can afford a $300k house anyway?

olevetonahill
3/11/2012, 01:44 AM

Rich folk

TheHumanAlphabet
3/11/2012, 05:17 AM
or folks leveraged to hell.

StoopTroup
3/11/2012, 06:15 AM
You can have a really nice House near Cherry St in Tulsa for a lot less than $330,000 and you can be close to Downtown, restaurants, Utica Square, TU, OU/Tulsa.....

I dare say that if you were real smart, right now you could have a nice Home 2000 sq ft and maybe 2-3 rental Homes for $330,000 or more that might fetch you enough in the next 10 years to buy a nice place up near Grand Lake or Ft Gibson to get yourself on that Noodling Show. :D

jk the sooner fan
3/11/2012, 09:15 AM

dont be poor

C&CDean
3/11/2012, 09:36 AM
To be honest, I didn't even know you could buy a place for under $300K anymore. I know the places I've seen for less than that I wouldn't live in. And I ain't what I'd call rich - well not in the Bruce category anyhow.

yermom
3/11/2012, 10:04 AM
Whatever, Bruce.

Not everyone is getting farm assistance ;)

I Am Right
3/11/2012, 10:07 AM
Good Thread

Chuck Bao
3/11/2012, 10:30 AM
I just went back to living in a city of 10 million after living 6 months in a county of about 8,000. The key is not to think about it too much AND to live near a mass transit station so you don't have to fight 10 million people on the road each day.

For what I put into my small condo in Bangkok, I could build a very nice house in Marshall County. But, I'd like to have both.

texaspokieokie
3/11/2012, 10:36 AM
Doesn't look bad to me, if you can afford it. Notice they said, Starting @ $330k.
My Mother (& me some of the time) lived in an apartment house (long gone) @ about 9th st., on Denver.
It wasn't bad. Met my 1st wife in drugstore on corner of 11th & Denver.
Of course, this was all about 50 yrs ago.

3rdgensooner
3/11/2012, 10:41 AM
Differences make the world go round.

C&CDean
3/11/2012, 02:46 PM
Differences make the world go round.

Deep.......thoughts........

Whet
3/11/2012, 03:09 PM
Our first place, when we move to Chicago was a high rise apartment in the Loop. It was all so different, we enjoyed the lifestyle. We did not bring our car with us, but we could walk to work and most shopping. We did have to take a bus to the grocery store, with was next to Cabrini Green. Also, the people in the Loop changed drastically after 6pm and on weekends. After a couple years there, we moved to a high rise condo along the north end of Lincoln Park, along Lake Shore Drive. We could walk to the grocery store, but would bring an old lady cart to carry them home and take a bus to work. We did get a car while there, but parking was horrible. On weekends, if you left your parking space during the day, you could not find an opening until about 9pm. After a few years there, we finally had enough of city living an moved to the suburbs. The daily 3 hour commute was well worth the lifestyle change. Now, after a couple of decades of that commute, that is getting really trying now.

olevetonahill
3/11/2012, 05:35 PM
I Love my shack in the woods

I Am Right
3/11/2012, 06:54 PM
Gated community, My OWN GATE!!!!

Chuck Bao
3/11/2012, 07:12 PM
Gated community, My OWN GATE!!!!

I hear yah. That's like Okies instinctively know that once you cross a cattle guard that you've crossed over into someone's private property.

Howzit
3/11/2012, 07:52 PM
Differences make the world go round.Grandma used to say, "Takes all kinds to make a world."

hawaii 5-0
3/11/2012, 08:05 PM

I just paid off mine this Summer. I paid more than 300K tho. Took 15 years of hard work.

The value has more than tripled.

And what's sad is that there's really nothin' special about it.

5-0

cleller
3/11/2012, 08:29 PM
I hear yah. That's like Okies instinctively know that once you cross a cattle guard that you've crossed over into someone's private property.

I've got a gate down at the road, then a cattle guard up by the house. Both are wonderful.

The only way to live.

delhalew
3/11/2012, 08:47 PM
Part of me loves living in the city. Thankfully, the other half dozen people in my head out vote that ******* every time.

Chuck Bao
3/11/2012, 08:56 PM
I Love my shack in the woods

That's the way to go, in my opinion. I want my own shack in the woods. And, with a gate, like a garage door remote controlled gate. And surveillance cameras. And land mines, or at least signs that say land mines. Yeah, and I want to be able to pee outdoors.

8timechamps
3/11/2012, 09:20 PM
To be honest, I didn't even know you could buy a place for under $300K anymore. I know the places I've seen for less than that I wouldn't live in. And I ain't what I'd call rich - well not in the Bruce category anyhow.

I have no clue what the housing market is like in Oklahoma, but I didn't think you could buy much for under 300k either. I'm no Bill Gates, but 300k for a house here isn't buying you much.

By the time my kids are in the market for a home, it's probably going to be twice that.

Oh, and I'm with you vet, I'll take rural over urban any day.

cleller
3/12/2012, 08:21 AM
That's the way to go, in my opinion. I want my own shack in the woods. And, with a gate, like a garage door remote controlled gate. And surveillance cameras. And land mines, or at least signs that say land mines. Yeah, and I want to be able to pee outdoors.

The Mighty Mule gate openers they sell at Atwoods, Lowes, etc really do work well. I've had the cheapest one they make on our gate for 2 years with no real problem. Just a little lawn tractor battery, and their solar charger. Makes life much easier.

SoonerAtKU
3/12/2012, 03:51 PM
I'm just entering the housing market myself, and while I'm looking to spend less than $300K, there are a ton of homes out here in the STL suburbs that got built, sold, or foreclosed upon in the last three years. In the two towns that we're primarily interested in, there are something like 500 houses available, most of them around our price range. It's a fairly depressed market, with new construction going for something like $60-65 a square foot in certain areas.

Doged
3/12/2012, 04:30 PM
I'll be the outsider here, I guess. I grew up in a rural home near Ada, and have lived in a couple rural places since, but I'm a hardcore city dweller. I just really prefer to have everything close at hand, is all, and crowds really don't bother me.

SoonerAtKU
3/13/2012, 08:31 AM
I'd rather be living in the city, too. If we didn't have a kid, we'd still be much farther in by where we used to live.

TFSooner
3/13/2012, 12:59 PM

It was for this reason that I considered moving last fall. Had two new houses built down the road from me (where previously there were none) and one evening was taking a leak outside when one of the new neighbors came driving up the road. Had to shut it off and zip up real quick. Never had that problem before. I was not a happy camper.

C&CDean
3/13/2012, 06:28 PM
My requirements when I bought the Deanarosa were simple:

a) I wanted to be able to hunt deer/turkey/quail/skunks/coyotes/coons/possums/armadillos/etc. right out my back door
b) I wanted to be able to catch bass and crappie on my own place
c) I wanted to not have a neighbors house anywhere within hearing/seeing distance
d) I wanted to be able to shoot a high-powered rifle towards any point on the compass from my house and not worry about hitting anybody/thing

Mission accomplished. Some day I may move back to town, but I can't imagine what the situation would be that would make this scenario happen. I only say it because I've learned to "never say never" in this bidness of life.

jumperstop
3/13/2012, 07:53 PM
I have no clue what the housing market is like in Oklahoma, but I didn't think you could buy much for under 300k either. I'm no Bill Gates, but 300k for a house here isn't buying you much.

By the time my kids are in the market for a home, it's probably going to be twice that.

Oh, and I'm with you vet, I'll take rural over urban any day.

Some of you guys must not have looked for a house in a real long time or must be really rich. I just bought a 1700 sf home with 3bed/3bath only 5 years old for 125k....I don't see how you CAN'T find an awesome house for under 300k in OK.....

8timechamps
3/13/2012, 09:34 PM
Some of you guys must not have looked for a house in a real long time or must be really rich. I just bought a 1700 sf home with 3bed/3bath only 5 years old for 125k....I don't see how you CAN'T find an awesome house for under 300k in OK.....

The problem is that I'm not in Oklahoma. I'm in the Denver area (actually just west, and have 6 acres of land, although I can't shoot a high powered rifle in any direction as Dean can...well, I could, but I'd end up hitting a neighbor and that's just bad for everyone involved). For 125k, I could reside in the worst parts of the city...or a tiny condo elsewhere.

When I was a kid, we lived on the northside of OKC, and I remember my mom bought our house for a little over $40k. That was my only experience with housing...so, when I went looking for my first home, the houses I looked at were in the $100k range (this what over 20 years ago), and I couldn't believe it.

sooneron
3/14/2012, 12:11 PM
2BR for 330K? Dirt cheap uppa here...

StoopTroup
3/14/2012, 01:45 PM
I live in the City. I have fence and 2 gates and 3 huge Pecan Trees. The first year we lived here we made our 1st house pmt with the pecans I sold from our Trees. I can walk to OU/Tulsa and the Mall or even both my kids schools and there are 32 movie screens within walking distance. Also a park with a gym, a pool, a walking track soccer fields you can fly a kite on, baseball, basketball, softball and tennis faculties. There is an old time hardware store a 1/2 mile away and the Tulsa Expos largest Gun Show is a little over a mile away and the BA and I-44 interchange is 3/4 of a mile away. I could go on but I don't want to brag.

I love it here in the city and if I want to get out of the city I know where to rent a cabin so I go take my kids fishing and even camping. Green Country is awesome these days and you don't need to spend $330,000 on a house to have a nice place. We feel very lucky to have bought into this area 17 years ago. Sure we could use a bit bigger house but we figure by the time we pay it off we will have raised our kids and have all the house we will need then.

To each his own. I know that there isn't anyone setting off dynamite or heavy explosives near our house so I don't have to worry about the stuff in the china cabinet or what's hanging on the wall. Also it's not a bad drive to football games in Norman 6-7 times a year.

tator
3/15/2012, 08:42 AM
3rd and S. Greenwood Ave

whew, that was close.

IB4OU2
3/15/2012, 09:15 AM
I loved living in the country...but I found my wife didnt have the stomach for it and she wanted to be closer to our daughter...I'm back living in mid town Tulsa now. I learned you have to make sacrifices for the people you care about. Though my wife could have made that sacrifice I know it turned out better this way and working on our place in the country was physically kicking my ***. Now all I have to worry about is keeping the pool clean in the summer.

MsProudSooner
3/15/2012, 10:05 AM
When my kids were growing up, we lived in the country and it was great! They had plenty of room to roam and more freedom than they would have had in the city. It definitely had it's drawbacks - the 45 minute commute to work in bad weather being one of them. One advantage we have in the Tulsa and OKC areas is you can live in the country and still be within 45 minutes of the city center easily. A problem with DFW is that is covers such a large area that moving to the country can make your commute well over an hour depending on where your office is.

But, after visiting major urban cities like NYC, I can see the attraction they have for people. The idea that I could live in a big city and have all of the different options for entertainment they offer at my fingertips is very attractive. When gas is approaching $4.00 a gallon, the idea of not having to have a car payment, buy gas or pay for car insurance makes it even more attractive. (Obviously, this doesn't apply to the DFW area. DFW badly needs to expand DART.) I can see why young people with no children and empty nesters might want to live in the city.

MamaMia
3/15/2012, 12:47 PM
I get allergic smelling hay.

BillyBall
3/15/2012, 01:12 PM
Our first place, when we move to Chicago was a high rise apartment in the Loop. It was all so different, we enjoyed the lifestyle. We did not bring our car with us, but we could walk to work and most shopping. We did have to take a bus to the grocery store, with was next to Cabrini Green. Also, the people in the Loop changed drastically after 6pm and on weekends. After a couple years there, we moved to a high rise condo along the north end of Lincoln Park, along Lake Shore Drive. We could walk to the grocery store, but would bring an old lady cart to carry them home and take a bus to work. We did get a car while there, but parking was horrible. On weekends, if you left your parking space during the day, you could not find an opening until about 9pm. After a few years there, we finally had enough of city living an moved to the suburbs. The daily 3 hour commute was well worth the lifestyle change. Now, after a couple of decades of that commute, that is getting really trying now.

I live a block from an L stop, across the street from a grocery store and have laundry in my unit. Taking either the Milwaukee bus or the Blue Line I can get from Apt to work in roughly 15-20 minutes. I haven't owned a car for 3 years and if I need one I just rent a ZipCar for a few hours. I still love living in the city but if I ever have kids I will move to the 'burbs without a doubt.

C&CDean
3/15/2012, 03:01 PM
I live a block from an L stop, across the street from a grocery store and have laundry in my unit. Taking either the Milwaukee bus or the Blue Line I can get from Apt to work in roughly 15-20 minutes. I haven't owned a car for 3 years and if I need one I just rent a ZipCar for a few hours. I still love living in the city but if I ever have kids I will move to the 'burbs without a doubt.

I spent the last 6-months of my career last year living in Pentagon City, VA. High-rise apartment, no car, Metro stop within about 150 yards of my building, surrounded by pubs/restaurants/stores/shops/parks/etc. A city-dwellers dream.

If I had to live there one more ****ing day than I did, I would have become a Metro mass murderer. HATED EVERY SECOND OF IT. Shuffle on with the lemmings in the dark in the morning, shuffle back on in the evening. Nobody looks at you, nobody talks to you, nobody cares if someone goes down on the platform - hell, they'll just step over them and not be inconvenienced. Rush rush everywhere. Taxis, phoney people at the pub, over-priced everything, etc.

The only thing that got me through it was the Irish Pub by my place. Great food, great drinks (after they got to know me), great atmosphere. Of course the only way I could handle the people I dealt with every day was to stay semi-drunk all the time.

I seriously can't understand the mentality/mindset of folks who like that kinda ****.

BillyBall
3/15/2012, 03:19 PM
And for my industry, if I don't like living in a large city then I need to find a new career.

pphilfran
3/15/2012, 03:22 PM
I live in an addition in the middle of town but I am surrounded by Indian land on 3 sides and Sill on the other..only one road in so no thru traffic...I see coyote, deer and turkey nearly daily...I can drive to OKC and only hit one traffic light and one stop sign...about the same to Dallas..

ADs_Agent
3/15/2012, 03:47 PM
out in San Antonio, the city is branching out and around. The gov't is throwing money at people to move outside city limits. We got an 1800 SQFT home for $143K. $300K in San ANtonio will get you a HUGGGGEEEE house.

BillyBall
3/15/2012, 03:54 PM
At this point $300K could buy you Detroit.

MamaMia
3/15/2012, 04:28 PM
At this point $300K could buy you Detroit. Not to mention Pacific and North Carolina Ave.

Chuck Bao
3/15/2012, 09:05 PM
I spent the last 6-months of my career last year living in Pentagon City, VA. High-rise apartment, no car, Metro stop within about 150 yards of my building, surrounded by pubs/restaurants/stores/shops/parks/etc. A city-dwellers dream.

If I had to live there one more ****ing day than I did, I would have become a Metro mass murderer. HATED EVERY SECOND OF IT. Shuffle on with the lemmings in the dark in the morning, shuffle back on in the evening. Nobody looks at you, nobody talks to you, nobody cares if someone goes down on the platform - hell, they'll just step over them and not be inconvenienced. Rush rush everywhere. Taxis, phoney people at the pub, over-priced everything, etc.

The only thing that got me through it was the Irish Pub by my place. Great food, great drinks (after they got to know me), great atmosphere. Of course the only way I could handle the people I dealt with every day was to stay semi-drunk all the time.

I seriously can't understand the mentality/mindset of folks who like that kinda ****.

I can understand where you're coming from, Dean. Big city people always seem to be in a rush.

For 20 years, I rented an apartment in the very expensive central business district in Bangkok. I never got to know any of my neighbors. I hated that and I hated the constant traffic below my balcony 24/7.

However, my experience completely changed when I bought a condo unit in a lower middle class neighborhood. It seems that everyone knows me when I walk down the street here. Some call me by name while others look me in the eye, smile and nod. When I started riding the skytrain to work and had health issues, complete strangers would offer assistance or their seat on the train. So maybe it isn't about location but class of people.

StoopTroup
3/16/2012, 06:30 AM
Is it possible that when some people buy a lemon, they make lemonade?

I know that Dean did that job in VA but it was evidently good enough money that the sacrifice was worth it. I have been out to his new House and it's a great place and I can see how happy he is there.

We all sacrifice many things during the time of our careers. Everyone who has worked so hard during their life deserves a place they can retire to.

Right now, I do love it here in Tulsa. My Wife and I have traveled a lot over the years and only once have we ever wanted to turn back and stay somewhere. That place was in the Teton Mountains. After seeing what might happen at Yellowstone at anytime thanks to the Science Channel, I'm staying right here near the caves of Arkansas and Lakes of Green Country. After the super a$$ plosion at Yellowstone, even Oklahoma might not be far enough away from that monster. Screw the Tetons and that whole upper northwest area. They are all crazy as those monsters in Washington. LMAO. :D;)

Viking Kitten
3/16/2012, 09:45 AM
I live in the suburbs, but if schools weren't an issue I would totally prefer the city and the ability to walk everywhere. My dream retirement dwelling would be a condo with an ocean view and easy beach access. To each their own.

hawaii 5-0
3/16/2012, 10:35 AM
My dream retirement dwelling would be a condo with an ocean view and easy beach access. To each their own.

I didn't get the ocean view because of the expense. I can hear the ocean tho and can walk out my front door and within five minutes have my toes in the sand of one of the world's best beaches.

There's a trade-off. Things are packed in pretty tight and if my neighbor farts loudly I could probably hear it.

5-0

tator
3/16/2012, 10:37 AM
It takes all kinds. For every person that can't stand living in the city, there's a person that loves living in the city.

For the record, Tulsa is not "the city", in my opinion.

olevetonahill
3/16/2012, 10:46 AM
There are times Ive thot of moving to a large town. But then I think of my critters, They've never known anything but the Hill. Plus I would be arrested in no time after I walk out side to pee and Im neked and stuff

hawaii 5-0
3/16/2012, 10:51 AM
It takes all kinds. For every person that can't stand living in the city, there's a person that loves living in the city.

For the record, Tulsa is not "the city", in my opinion.

Ever live in a town of less than 5,000? Less than 500?

Growing up in a small town, Tulsa and OKC were cities. Even Muskogee was 'the city'.

5-0

tator
3/16/2012, 10:53 AM
Ever live in a town of less than 5,000? Less than 500?

Growing up in a small town, Tulsa and OKC were cities. Even Muskogee was 'the city'.

5-0

Agreed, its all relative. I just consider "city living" to be what Deaner described.

Viking Kitten
3/16/2012, 10:54 AM
You also have to ask yourself "Do I prefer hillbillies on meth, crackheads in alleys or drunk soccer moms driving around in SUVs?" I see the methheads as the worst of those options, but that's just me.

hawaii 5-0
3/16/2012, 10:59 AM
Agreed, its all relative. I just consider "city living" to be what Deaner described.

True that. It's all relative.

5-0

3rdgensooner
3/16/2012, 11:14 AM
Agreed, its all relative. I just consider "city living" to be what Deaner described.The OP was about condos in downtown Tulsa. So, I think in this context Tulsa would be a "city".

yermom
3/16/2012, 11:21 AM

yeah, i mean you can get about anywhere in Tulsa in like 30 minutes by car, and be able to park there

Chuck Bao
3/16/2012, 11:56 AM
I live in the suburbs, but if schools weren't an issue I would totally prefer the city and the ability to walk everywhere. My dream retirement dwelling would be a condo with an ocean view and easy beach access. To each their own.

Yeah, I once did dream about that. The problem is that once you retire your bathing suit is probably not as flattering as it once was. More importantly, you have to worry about the potential of tsunamis. I hope that you'll get a high floor, Mrs Vik Kitty.

8timechamps
3/16/2012, 12:13 PM
There are times Ive thot of moving to a large town. But then I think of my critters, They've never known anything but the Hill. Plus I would be arrested in no time after I walk out side to pee and Im neked and stuff

I love the fact that I can wake up, make my coffee and sit out on my deck with my bid-ness exposed, if I so choose. And, if I'm too comfortable to go back inside, I can pee from my deck. I love the quiet that comes with living outside of the city. Those are the things I couldn't replace.

jkjsooner
3/16/2012, 12:59 PM
I spent about 17 years in DC. The first 10 or so of those were in the outer suburbs. Then I moved into the city and loved 90% of it. I still had to drive to the burbs for work but the weekends were great being able to walk to any number of bars or restaurants. I absolutely kick myself for living out in the suburbs as a single guy. Once I lived in the city I realized how much the burbs really sucks for a single person.

That other 10% wasn't all that great. I got sick of shady characters approaching me in the alley for money. My car was broken into. Once I finally got a parking spot there was never a guarantee that it would be open on Friday night. To be honest, the spot was only taken a few times in 4 years but it was always a concern and it was impossible to get someone to tow it.

If I didn't have a child I'd do it again. I wouldn't raise a child in the inner city though.

BillyBall
3/16/2012, 01:12 PM
I absolutely kick myself for living out in the suburbs as a single guy. Once I lived in the city I realized how much the burbs really sucks for a single person.

Another reason I still live in the city...

tator
3/16/2012, 02:53 PM
The OP was about condos in downtown Tulsa. So, I think in this context Tulsa would be a "city".I agree with you. I disagree with the assertion that downtown Tulsa is "city livin". That's all :)

Taxman71
3/16/2012, 03:38 PM
This thread reminds me of one of my favorite Chris LeDoux songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgXwCsSag0s

StoopTroup
3/16/2012, 03:50 PM

I consider that this whole thread is about Tulsa now beginning to build expensive Downtown Digs for folks who want to work and live Downtown like in places Deaner was speaking about....I like the fact that I have a bit of Suburb and City life right here in little old Tulsa. It still isn't a Million People and many of it's properties haven't been turned into inner city slums because the price of living here has remained relatively low. Also....you can get to a lake or fishing hole within less than an hour in many places and there are also some nice small farms available that aren't much of a drive to anywhere in the City or surrounding Suburbs that have built up. For example.....My Wife grew up in a small Town outside of Tulsa of 1,765 folks. It's a great Town and you can actually drive from there everyday to work if you want. There is even a couple of Wineries on the way.

Yep. It's all relative as is making lemonade from lemons.

tator
3/16/2012, 03:53 PM
So is Tulsa the lemon or the lemonade?

StoopTroup
3/16/2012, 03:55 PM
So is Tulsa the lemon or the lemonade?

All I know is I'm the sugar baby. :strawberry:

Call me SugarTroup if you want....lol

tator
3/16/2012, 03:58 PM
Pass, but sincere thanks on the offer

49r
3/16/2012, 04:02 PM
.mSRyf5G2uI8

StoopTroup
3/16/2012, 04:14 PM
Pass, but sincere thanks on the offer

If you can't handle the sugar....I don't mind. I'm guessing you are more of a SweetNLow? :D ;)

BTW....you can try and sweeten a Turd...but I don't recommend it.

StoopTroup
3/16/2012, 04:40 PM
I was watching Moonshiners on TV and I think I remember that Tators have sugar in them....Wait!

This is getting out of hand. I think some Tators are in denial.

olevetonahill
3/16/2012, 05:40 PM
I agree with you. I disagree with the assertion that downtown Tulsa is "city livin". That's all :)

If ya cant do what I just did then Ya living in "The City"

Just went out and emptied a Mag off my front deck while I were NEKED.

Thats country livin at its finest.

diverdog
3/17/2012, 06:58 AM

Is that what they call jerk'in off these days?

jk the sooner fan
3/17/2012, 08:09 AM

this is how i knew you were never going to the opera ;)

stoopified
3/17/2012, 11:09 AM
be thankful

if everybody lived in the sticks - the sticks would be the "big city" ;)Well if you believe national perception : all of Oklahoma is in the sticks.

pphilfran
3/17/2012, 11:21 AM
Is that what they call jerk'in off these days?

lol