PDA

View Full Version : May She have a Peaceful last Voyage

olevetonahill
3/10/2012, 07:02 PM
Hard to believe so much time has passed

http://news.yahoo.com/storied-carrier-big-e-makes-final-voyage-180906276.html

cccasooner2
3/10/2012, 07:13 PM
I knew the ship's chief hooker's mamma (in the friendly, not biblical sense).

olevetonahill
3/10/2012, 07:16 PM
I knew the ship's chief hooker's mamma (in the friendly, not biblical sense).
They Got Hookers on them there ships Now? What they gonna do with the Jar heads?:adoration:

cccasooner2
3/10/2012, 07:30 PM
Chief hooker = the head guy that directs grabbing the F-14/18 and whatever else is trying to land on that teeny island. :)

olevetonahill
3/10/2012, 07:39 PM
Chief hooker = the head guy that directs grabbing the F-14/18 and whatever else is trying to land on that teeny island. :)

:unconscious:

StoopTroup
3/11/2012, 07:14 AM
Knew a few guys that have served The Enterprise as well as the CV-60 USS Saratoga.

Lots of memories for those that served those Ships.

Both of those Carriers have lived to see their name used again. The Enterprise will never be forgotten and will just live on through the next Commissioned Vessel that will proudly have its name and History attached.

Thanks to all who served the US and the USS Enterprise in its last Naval Missions.

8timechamps
3/11/2012, 03:52 PM
I was never on board the Enterprise, but I've seen it several times. I can't believe it's 50 years old already. I served with a couple of guys that were deployed on the E, and they told me about how worried they always were that the nuclear generator was going to just explode one day. I'm not sure that's even possible, but then again, nobody ever accused Marines of being rocket scientists...at least not the ones I served with.

fadada1
3/11/2012, 08:03 PM
Served on the Enterprise my last year in the Navy (96-97). Did a Med/Persian Gulf deployment. Was a great experience and proud to have served on a great ship.

8time, the reactors were old but did well. Tough for a reactor to explode in the traditional sense - they tend to "melt" if something goes VERY wrong. The Enterprise has 8 reactors. The newer carriers have 2 big ones. On the Enterprise, during normal operations, one reactor was dedicated for flight ops, 1 or 2 for propulsion, 1 or 2 to keep all the lights on. Don't think I ever saw all 8 lit at the same time. The reactors worked very hard if we wanted to go REALLY fast (35+/- knots).

8timechamps
3/11/2012, 09:28 PM
Served on the Enterprise my last year in the Navy (96-97). Did a Med/Persian Gulf deployment. Was a great experience and proud to have served on a great ship.

8time, the reactors were old but did well. Tough for a reactor to explode in the traditional sense - they tend to "melt" if something goes VERY wrong. The Enterprise has 8 reactors. The newer carriers have 2 big ones. On the Enterprise, during normal operations, one reactor was dedicated for flight ops, 1 or 2 for propulsion, 1 or 2 to keep all the lights on. Don't think I ever saw all 8 lit at the same time. The reactors worked very hard if we wanted to go REALLY fast (35+/- knots).

I've been on the Lincoln and the Carl Vinson, but never the Enterprise. They are truly amazing vessels. The prevailing that then was that the reactors were safe, and it was more of a tongue-in-cheek thing to say "they're gonna blow!"...it was more about the Enterprise being the first nuclear carrier.

You should be proud of your service on the E, it was the first of it's kind, and meant really bad things for our enemies when she went into service.