PDA

View Full Version : I never got the BIG 12 memo...

OULenexaman
3/8/2012, 11:34 AM
about beer and alcohol being banned at off campus events such as the BIG 12 BB Tourney and BIG 12 chamionship football games or baseball tourneys. In fact I cannot find it in any of the BIG 12 bylaws or rules. I have done google searchs in every way possible and I come up with nothing. Was beer banned at Jerry World at the last known BIG 12 championship football game? I may have just attended my last BIG 12 BB Tourney last night. Then to top it off....they wanted to remove the cap and throw it away behind the counter for my 4 dollar bottle of water. WTF is that about?

olevetonahill
3/8/2012, 11:36 AM
No Beer at Jerry world fer the Cornshucker game
It sucked

badger
3/8/2012, 11:37 AM
about beer and alcohol being banned at off campus events such as the BIG 12 BB Tourney and BIG 12 chamionship football games or baseball tourneys. In fact I cannot find it any of the BIG 12 bylaws or rules. I have done google searchs in every way possible and I come up with nothing. Was beer banned at Jerry World at the last known BIG 12 championship football game? I may have just attended my last BIG 12 BB Tourney last night. Then to top it off....they wanted to remove the cap and throw it away behind the counter for my 4 dollar bottle of water. WTF is that about?

I can answer the cap question: A lot of stadiums dont' allow you to keep bottle caps because fans throw them... not just at the field, but at opposing fans. Texas A&M students used to chuck lids at us Sooners because their section extended to behind where the opposing fan corner was near one of the endzones (the one the teams run out of that is disconnected from the rest of the stadium).

I did not know the Big 12 tourney was beer-free now. I can't imagine that Jerryworld would not sell beer at Big 12 games, championship or not (assuming we ever get back up to 12 teams). I know that when OU had a KU "away" football game at Arrowhead stadium a few years ago, about 2004 or 2005 (they were upgrading their home turf that year), they sold beer to fans there.

olevetonahill
3/8/2012, 11:42 AM
I can answer the cap question: A lot of stadiums dont' allow you to keep bottle caps because fans throw them... not just at the field, but at opposing fans. Texas A&M students used to chuck lids at us Sooners because their section extended to behind where the opposing fan corner was near one of the endzones (the one the teams run out of that is disconnected from the rest of the stadium).

I did not know the Big 12 tourney was beer-free now. I can't imagine that Jerryworld would not sell beer at Big 12 games, championship or not (assuming we ever get back up to 12 teams). I know that when OU had a KU "away" football game at Arrowhead stadium a few years ago, about 2004 or 2005 (they were upgrading their home turf that year), they sold beer to fans there.

Badj there was NO BEER at the Big 12 Champ Game
Water and soda Pop only

texaspokieokie
3/8/2012, 11:46 AM
there was beer @ the OU/byu game.

OULenexaman
3/8/2012, 12:13 PM
speaking of aggies....I had seats just behind the aggie cheerleaders and band. Got to see those gay aggie dudes up close (too damn close) in their tidy white uni's doing uber weird gay cheers and ****. I told my wife DO NOT make eye contact with those goofy ****ers...

KantoSooner
3/8/2012, 12:14 PM
This is terrible. It's been a long time since I attended a game in Norman, but I always enjoyed bringing a hip flask of brandy or a bota bag of bourbon (that was especially nice if the person asking for a 'sip' thought it was wine...) to a cold, wet game.
Just you and your friends, standing in the sleet, watching OU demolish some woebegone gaggle of losers. And slowly getting hammered.
Good times.

badger
3/8/2012, 12:15 PM
Maybe its in the Big 12 contract that championship games/tourneys don't sell alcohol.

Another possibility? Night games. Both the OU basketball game yesterday and the OU/Nebrasky football game a few seasons ago were at night. Perhaps it was a timing thing, not just a conference policy thing.

Still, very interesting. I will ask around to see if I find anything out.

kbsooner21
3/8/2012, 12:19 PM
Another reason why fans are going to Thunder games nowadays...

OULenexaman
3/8/2012, 12:21 PM
OU/BYU at Jerry world was at night....beer there. The staff at the Sprint Center (that place sucks BTW) said it was a BIG 12 policy/rule......but I can't find it written anywhere.

olevetonahill
3/8/2012, 12:23 PM
OU/BYU at Jerry world was at night....beer there. The staff at the Sprint Center (that place sucks BTW) said it was a BIG 12 policy/rule......but I can't find it written anywhere.

If I member right , They said it was B12 rule also. during the Champ Game

Lots of beer there , Just locked up and No one had a key

FtwTxSooner
3/8/2012, 12:51 PM
I guess there is a club seating exemption. I could have sworn it was available there.

olevetonahill
3/8/2012, 01:00 PM
I guess there is a club seating exemption. I could have sworn it was available there.

I think yer right

rekamrettuB
3/8/2012, 03:41 PM

Not at the Big XII champ games. There was some different rule for the OU/BYU game there between Club Seats and the poor folks...think they sold to the masses until halftime and Club Seats until 3rd qtr I think. But the Big XII champ game was no beer at all.

There hasn't been beer since the 2002 Big XII champ game in Houston. We had to sneak in IV bags of Crown to the 2003 game because we did get the memo.

yermom
3/8/2012, 04:14 PM
There was alcohol in KC in 2003, but not 2004

PrideMom
3/8/2012, 04:22 PM
I do not understand WHY you need to drink at a football game. You should already be HIGH enough just going to one!!

rekamrettuB
3/8/2012, 04:35 PM

You sure? I know we went to great lengths to sneak in Crown and I thought it was because there were no alchy sales there. They also didn't sell Dr. Pepper at the Dr. Pepper Big XII Championship game.

olevetonahill
3/8/2012, 04:36 PM
I do not understand WHY you need to drink at a football game. You should already be HIGH enough just going to one!!

I do not understand why you care if any one drinks

StoopTroup
3/8/2012, 04:47 PM

I think you need to be an alcoholic to understand the importance of Beer>pop/water

StoopTroup
3/8/2012, 04:50 PM
I'm going to take a guess and that the liability is less for games that don't serve beer.

StoopTroup
3/8/2012, 04:57 PM
Also, sometimes when you drink to much you forget where you went to college.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/BarkingCarnival/2009OU004-1.jpg

jumperstop
3/8/2012, 04:57 PM

I know for sure 2003...Only because I remember getting the **** kicked out of us and being in the middle of the KSU sections sucked. We were two rows from the edge of the upper deck and some OU with a beer comes over and just chunks his beer into the middle of the KSU crowd below. He was soon tackled by both KSU and OU fans and held until security could get there. That was my first realization that OU had some crappy fans....and to never be that guy.

rekamrettuB
3/8/2012, 05:00 PM
I know for sure 2003...Only because I remember getting the **** kicked out of us and being in the middle of the KSU sections sucked. We were two rows from the edge of the upper deck and some OU with a beer comes over and just chunks his beer into the middle of the KSU crowd below. He was soon tackled by both KSU and OU fans and held until security could get there. That was my first realization that OU had some crappy fans....and to never be that guy.

If you haven't yet, realize that every fanbase in the history of fanbases has some crappy fans. Crappy human beings too.

StoopTroup
3/8/2012, 05:01 PM
Sometimes you forget where the garage is.

http://jerseychaser.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/sergio-kindle-texas-football-crash-car.jpg

StoopTroup
3/8/2012, 05:03 PM

No ****. You should have helped him escape. WTF?

jumperstop
3/8/2012, 05:13 PM
If you haven't yet, realize that every fanbase in the history of fanbases has some crappy fans. Crappy human beings too.

Yeah I was like 14 at the time and hadn't been too many away games at that point. Fans are a lot more civil at home...

rekamrettuB
3/8/2012, 05:19 PM
Yeah I was like 14 at the time and hadn't been too many away games at that point. Fans are a lot more civil at home...

And when their team isn't getting curb stomped.

jumperstop
3/8/2012, 05:24 PM
And when their team isn't getting curb stomped.

That too....And hyped up on lite beer.....

Dio
3/8/2012, 05:29 PM
There was alcohol in KC in 2003

Yes there was

OULenexaman
3/9/2012, 08:42 AM
So I guess that **** for brains Beebe suddenly imposed this policy......which is still yet to be found written anywhere.....and overlooking the extra income $$$$ that could be made from a percentage of the sales to the BIG 12 conference.

texaspokieokie
3/9/2012, 10:08 AM
OU/BYU at Jerry world was at night....beer there. The staff at the Sprint Center (that place sucks BTW) said it was a BIG 12 policy/rule......but I can't find it written anywhere. No, it was a day game.

jumperstop
3/9/2012, 10:23 AM
No, it was a day game.

It was late afternoon game. It was dark outside the majority of the game I'm pretty sure.

texaspokieokie
3/9/2012, 10:43 AM
you are correct, 6 o'clock, lots of sun left in early september.

OULenexaman
3/9/2012, 11:00 AM
In my world 6pm is a night game....

texaspokieokie
3/9/2012, 11:18 AM
In my world 6pm is a night game....i can't really disagree, but it was broad daylight when we went inside.
(only about 10 miles from my home, which is irrelevant) Have to say, i consider 6 o'clock games in norman to be nite games.
i guess i was wrong.

FtwTxSooner
3/9/2012, 12:55 PM
Not at the Big XII champ games. There was some different rule for the OU/BYU game there between Club Seats and the poor folks...think they sold to the masses until halftime and Club Seats until 3rd qtr I think. But the Big XII champ game was no beer at all.

There hasn't been beer since the 2002 Big XII champ game in Houston. We had to sneak in IV bags of Crown to the 2003 game because we did get the memo.

Well, then I must have bought a beer at a rouge concession stand on the third level of club seats.

BeaSooner
3/9/2012, 01:02 PM
Also, sometimes when you drink to much you forget where you went to college.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/BarkingCarnival/2009OU004-1.jpg

When was this? Moreover....WHY was this?

pweitkem
3/9/2012, 01:34 PM
There were beer and cocktails at the OU/Nebraska Big XII Championship game. At least I think there were... I was pretty drunk.

StoopTroup
3/10/2012, 05:11 PM

Good questions. It is a bit of an oddity huh? :D

StoopTroup
3/10/2012, 05:19 PM
There were beer and cocktails at the OU/Nebraska Big XII Championship game. At least I think there were... I was pretty drunk.

Not at Jerry World you didn't. You must have been pretty hammered. You must have beenoutside drinking watching Jerry Vision...lol

cccasooner2
3/10/2012, 05:30 PM

I'd put the long-haired guy he's hitting on at about 5'11".

olevetonahill
3/10/2012, 07:50 PM
Not at Jerry World you didn't. You must have been pretty hammered. You must have beenoutside drinking watching Jerry Vision...lol

Greg, I agree with you, There was None sold where Chuck and I sat
How ever My Daughter and Her Boyfriend said they Bought Beer where they were sitting, Not sure how and why but they said they purchased it.

OULenexaman
3/10/2012, 09:09 PM
Greg, I agree with you, There was None sold where Chuck and I sat
How ever My Daughter and Her Boyfriend said they Bought Beer where they were sitting, Not sure how and why but they said they purchased it. Damn....that is interesting. How could that be?? And at the Sprint Center on Wednesday they allowed leave and re entry but on Thursday on session 2 they did not between games......some ****ed up ****.

StoopTroup
3/11/2012, 10:05 AM
Jerry did really proud himself about having a bar area where the players could kind of march right through the Bar/club area right onto the field. Maybe they did sell to certain folks with access to Club Level or Special Seating Areas. I know we had some really decent seats thanks to The HMFIC "Phil Owens". Even so there wasn't any beer or drinks available where we were either. It doesn't matter to me but I'd say that if some folks did buy beer or liquor at that place, it was a bunch of folks getting it. I'd say you were real lucky to get it if you did.

http://www.geardiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/DSC_0070.jpg

Edmond Sooner
3/11/2012, 03:54 PM

Well said, but there's always one scold who thinks lecturing adults on how they should stay away from the EVUUUUULLL DEMON RUM is their obligation in life.

8timechamps
3/11/2012, 04:16 PM
The NCAA has for years banned sales and venue advertising of all alcohol at its 88 championships. Host sites are required to cover up any ads for alcoholic drinks.

It's not a Big XII thing, it's an NCAA thing (and only for championship sites). I think the Big XII jumped on board for their championship games a few years ago (2008).

Jason White's Third Knee
3/12/2012, 12:51 PM
Sometimes you forget where the garage is.

http://jerseychaser.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/sergio-kindle-texas-football-crash-car.jpg

Seriously. How much colt 45 do you have to drink to make that happen?

badger
3/12/2012, 01:00 PM
The NCAA has for years banned sales and venue advertising of all alcohol at its 88 championships. Host sites are required to cover up any ads for alcoholic drinks.

It's not a Big XII thing, it's an NCAA thing (and only for championship sites). I think the Big XII jumped on board for their championship games a few years ago (2008).

I wonder if anything (like this (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-03-08/college-basketball-concerns-attendance-drop/53424996/1)) would make them change their minds.

IslandSooner
3/12/2012, 01:08 PM
There was alcohol sold at the "Club Level" during the OU/NEB game at Jerrys' World.

8timechamps
3/12/2012, 03:59 PM
I wonder if anything (like this (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-03-08/college-basketball-concerns-attendance-drop/53424996/1)) would make them change their minds.

Ultimately, I think that is the one thing that could force them to change policy.

Seamus
3/12/2012, 04:07 PM
Let's play hangman. I'll spot you some letters. Hint: Carrie Nation was a ______

C NT
____

8timechamps
3/12/2012, 04:09 PM
Let's play hangman. I'll spot you some letters. Hint: Carrie Nation was a ______

C NT
____

A?

:single_eye:

SoonerSpock
3/12/2012, 04:55 PM

Because many if not most become drunk, obnoxious, disrespectful of other fans while becoming very profane in the presence of women and children. Other than that no one really cares except for those that do not want to get on the road after a game with a bunch of drunks behind the wheel.

Seamus
3/12/2012, 06:04 PM
No, we were going for "E", as in CENT. You see, Carrie Nation was a penny. ;)

OU_Sooners75
3/12/2012, 08:19 PM
about beer and alcohol being banned at off campus events such as the BIG 12 BB Tourney and BIG 12 chamionship football games or baseball tourneys. In fact I cannot find it in any of the BIG 12 bylaws or rules. I have done google searchs in every way possible and I come up with nothing. Was beer banned at Jerry World at the last known BIG 12 championship football game? I may have just attended my last BIG 12 BB Tourney last night. Then to top it off....they wanted to remove the cap and throw it away behind the counter for my 4 dollar bottle of water. WTF is that about?

Any and all preseason and postseason tournaments and championships are to be alcohol free, via NCAA....not up to the conference.

OU_Sooners75
3/12/2012, 08:20 PM
there was beer @ the OU/byu game.

that is because it was a regular season game, not a championship.

OU_Sooners75
3/12/2012, 08:22 PM
You sure? I know we went to great lengths to sneak in Crown and I thought it was because there were no alchy sales there. They also didn't sell Dr. Pepper at the Dr. Pepper Big XII Championship game.

Yeah...I was at the 2003 championship game and they could serve it then...I bought about 4 of them at $8/beer.

85sooners
3/13/2012, 09:29 AM
that is because it was a regular season game, not a championship.We drank beer and margaritas at the ou/neb big 12 championship

OU_Sooners75
3/13/2012, 02:17 PM
We drank beer and margaritas at the ou/neb big 12 championship

Not unless you did so by bringing your own in or you had a luxury box.

I didn't make the 2010 Big 12 championship, but the two previous, in KC, I did, and you couldn't buy beer or alcohol.

Went to the 2003, 2006, and 2008 championship games...and you couldn't purchase beer there. (all of which were in KC).

FtwTxSooner
3/13/2012, 03:47 PM
Not unless you did so by bringing your own in or you had a luxury box.

I didn't make the 2010 Big 12 championship, but the two previous, in KC, I did, and you couldn't buy beer or alcohol.

Went to the 2003, 2006, and 2008 championship games...and you couldn't purchase beer there. (all of which were in KC).

I had club seats in Jerry World, and was able to purchase beer, and could have purchased mixed drinks if I wanted. I was in section C338, and everything was available for purchase on the concourse on that level.

Sooner24
3/14/2012, 11:54 PM
Damn....that is interesting. How could that be?? And at the Sprint Center on Wednesday they allowed leave and re entry but on Thursday on session 2 they did not between games......some ****ed up ****.

They announced several times Wednesday that there was no reentry without a new ticket. They also made the same announcement Thursday and Friday. Didn't go Saturday. Also beer sales have been banned for around 10 years or so the Big 12 events. I remember in 1988 going to the Big 8 tournament and they sold beer and going back to KC a few weeks later to the Final Four and they didn't. Guys were screaming at the concession people " I bought beer here a couple of weeks ago why not now" and were told no alcohol sales at NCAA sanctioned events.

SapulpaSooner
3/15/2012, 10:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0flsg4GMQxQ